Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's Plane spotted in Houston this afternoon.

corgi

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On January 8, 2017 at 8:02 AM, Coltsman1788 said:

Irsay probably just went there to attend the wildcard playoff game in Houston.  His flight appears to have arrived a few hours before game time and departed not long after the game ended. 

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N106TD/history

SW1 doesn't even care if your flight plan link is real C1788. I got a pretty good chuckle out of it. Like when the Brett Favre retirement watch just started on ESPN before it became stale. 

On January 8, 2017 at 9:51 AM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Gruden more or less won Dungy's super bowl in Tampa Bay... a team Dungy built up, didn't get a title but made playoffs year after year, then Gruden came in and won a superbowl with the team Dungy constructed.  Gruden then proceeded to coach the Bucs until they were the laughing stock of the league again.

Gruden is not a very good coach.  He would do nothing, IMO, to take this team to a higher level than Pagano can. 

Plus, we'd have to hire his babysitter:

The Babysitter video was hilarious & I actually like Gruden on MNF. He needs to stay right where he is. 

19 hours ago, Jules said:

We are not getting Gruden, it's not happening. We are not getting Saban, it's not happening. We are not getting Manning in a funky role at the top, it's not happening.

Pagano and Grigson are back for next year. THAT IS HAPPENING.......that is reality

Yeah, Jules is right. We're locked into Pags/Grigs 1 more yr minimum. Such is life. I'm not thrilled over it, but it is what it is. 

5 hours ago, Corndog said:

It's not reported anywhere, but it makes a lot of sense.  Gruden is ESPN's highest paid on air personality. 

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/highest-paid-espn-jon-gruden-report-monday-night-football-jon-gruden-salary

ESPN is under pressure from parent company Disney to drastically cut costs, reportedly $100 million last year and this year they are expected to cut costs even further at $250 million.  Due to both losing money/subscribers, coupled with the NBA rights going from $485 million to $1.47 billion this season.   

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/disney-forces-espn-to-cut-costs/

We have already seen departures from Mike Tirico, Keith Olbermann, Bill Simmons, Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd.  If the cuts are to be believed, this year should have much more activity than last year.   Obviously this has nothing to do with Gruden becoming the Colts coach, but it does make me believe ESPN will try to do what they can to get out of the contract.  

All those departures you mentioned were personalities who went to other networks for better deals. They didn't all get pushed out by Disney. Well, Keith O. perhaps. I love him as a journalist, but I can see why he rubs staff the wrong way. He's demanding, self centered, & treats his subordinates like indentured servants. Keith knows how to be provocative though & he knows how to frame an argument/perspective quite well. 

4 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Gruden isn't coming here.  He makes $6.5 million with ESPN so he is paid close to a top NFL Coach's salary.  He is signed through 2021.  Same money and much less stress.  Plus he loves his current gig. He already has a Super Bowl win.  He'd be a fool to give that up for the uncertainty of the NFL.

Colts have more of a chance to make a run at Wade Phillips. I don't think they will though.  I think Irsay will stand pat and do nothing as he seems to be just peachy with the current state of this franchise. 

Speaking of Phillips, it is also being reported that the Oakland Raiders may be interested at making a run at him if he is let go by Denver.  If that happens, the Raiders may emerge as the rising AFC power that many Colts fans hoped Indy would become.

Exactly, Gruden isn't going anywhere & Mickey Mouse isn't cutting Chucky man. I've always liked Wade Philips as DC. I admired his father Bum too. Wade sucks as an HC, but as a DC, he's one of the best around. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To follow that up I would say Dungy was possibly Very Good instead of just Good but not Great, JMO. Great is a word that is thrown around way too much. We should've won more than 1 SB in the Dungy era.

If a patriots receiver doesn't drop an easy touchdown in 06 Dungy would be a poor man's Marty Schottenheimer.

Plus, he wasn't that innovative.  Just modified the cover 2 he learned in Pitt.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe Jim wants Grigson to remain GM.  Maybe he likes the way he runs the operation and structures contracts, something Gruden might not want to do.  He could still let Gruden say yea or nay on draft picks or acquisitions.   

"Gee Griggz, you kinda suck at drafting and free agency,  but you those contracts you give to mediocre free agents are nicely structured"

6 minutes ago, BOTT said:

If a patriots receiver doesn't drop an easy touchdown in 06 Dungy would be a poor man's Marty Schotthimer.

haha well I wouldn't go that far but he wasn't Great that is for sure. Yes the HOFame says otherwise but I know a lot of people yourself included that think otherwise.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

haha well I wouldn't go that far but he wasn't Great that is for sure. Yes the HOFame says otherwise but I know a lot of people yourself included that think otherwise.

Sounds worse than what I meant.  Marty lost a lot of playoff games with guys like Bill Kenny and Dave Kreig.  It wouldn't have been a good look for Dungy if he had failed to win a SB in Indy after not doing so in Tampa.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

Sounds worse than what I meant.  Marty lost a lot of playoff games with guys like Bill Kenny and Dave Kreig.  It wouldn't have been a good look for Dungy if he had failed to win a SB in Indy after not doing so in Tampa.

I was glad the Chargers lost in 06 to the Pats, that gave us HFA. We never played good against the Chargers. Having HFA was huge in 2006 as the Colts were 10-0.

When I read the headline of this thread before I scrolled down to read any other the entries, I was like Jimmy probably just told his pilot "Oh what the hades, let's fly to Houston today." Like others have said, it was probably a guitar run or a let's land somewhere warm today. 

It's not like Jimmy's taking a run at Romeo Crennel or Mike Vrabel or something. Former NE players/coaches. 

That's the cool thing about serious cash in your bank account & a jet at your disposal: You can do whatever you want on the fly & the press goes into a frenzy over nothing.

More power to ya Jimmy. I'd probably take a week & just visit every music museum in the US starting with the Musical Instrument Museum in AZ, but I digress. Sammy Hagar took a tour of it while visiting Alice Cooper. It looked like a sweet place to immerse yourself in for a couple of hours. 

6 hours ago, BOTT said:

If a patriots receiver doesn't drop an easy touchdown in 06 Dungy would be a poor man's Marty Schottenheimer.

But it was an important modification, notably as passing to R and H backs,  TE's and slot receivers increased.  Takes the Cover 2 safety's evenly splitting the field (with a very vulnerable gap right down the middle seam)  and requires an athletic Mike linebacker that can drop deep in pass coverage as necessary and fill that gap in the middle between the safety's, creating a Cover 3. 

Also changed roles to fit smaller speedier players with less talent, which allows top teams drafting late to still get quality draft picks, and small colleges that can never recruit a 330 lb NT for a 3 - 4 to run a defense tailored to guys they can recruit. Even the Under Tackle is expect to have a swift step and penetrate to get into the backfield for tackles and sacks (Warren Sapp 3 technique types), not just the DE's.

So even if nobody will label it innovative, it was important, and is making a small comeback as well (Steelers to employ it more here and there, along with the Zone Blitz.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

But it was an important modification, notably as passing to R and H backs,  TE's and slot receivers increased.  Takes the Cover 2 safety's evenly splitting the field (with a very vulnerable gap right down the middle seam)  and requires an athletic Mike linebacker that can drop deep in pass coverage as necessary and fill that gap in the middle between the safety's, creating a Cover 3. 

Also changed roles to fit smaller speedier players with less talent, which allows top teams drafting late to still get quality draft picks, and small colleges that can never recruit a 330 lb NT for a 3 - 4 to run a defense tailored to guys they can recruit. Even the Under Tackle is expect to have a swift step and penetrate to get into the backfield for tackles and sacks (Warren Sapp 3 technique types), not just the DE's.

So even if nobody will label it innovative, it was important, and is making a small comeback as well (Steelers to employ it more here and there, along with the Zone Blitz.

Tampa was never that small. Plus, Tampa was hardly the first team using smaller faster players on defense....see Dallas under Jimmy Johnson.

8 hours ago, BOTT said:

We have senior posters here who hold more sway than they should, that statement by itself isn't totally foolish...... but, your knowledge of football may be.

30 minutes ago, coltsva said:

As an owner of a company I would much rather have my new employee lined up and ready to start work before I fire my current employee, as opposed to having the job vacant and then trying to find his replacement. 

The NFL doesn't quite work like the rest of corporate America.  That, and I'm sure it violates some sort of NFL tampering rules.

3 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

The NFL doesn't quite work like the rest of corporate America.  That, and I'm sure it violates some sort of NFL tampering rules.

Yes, if it's someone who is currently employed as a coach. I was thinking in terms of lining up an unemployed coach such as Gruden. 

Just now, coltsva said:

Yes, if it's someone who is currently employed as a coach. I was thinking in terms of lining up an unemployed coach such as Gruden. 

I don't know conclusively, but I'd be very surprised if sanctions weren't in place to protect the sitting Coach (in this case, Pagano) as well.

5 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I don't know conclusively, but I'd be very surprised if sanctions weren't in place to protect the sitting Coach (in this case, Pagano) as well.

I would think the guaranteed portion of his contract he'd walk out the door with would be protection enough. Maybe somebody else on here knows the NFL policy on this. I certainly don't. 

9 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I would think the guaranteed portion of his contract he'd walk out the door with would be protection enough. Maybe somebody else on here knows the NFL policy on this. I certainly don't. 

http://thewhitebronco.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2009-NFL-Anti-Tampering-Policy.pdf

the rules only cover current Head coaches and other coaches currently under contract in the NFL.  Non-contracted coaches can be contacted at any time.  The rules mention nothing about having to have an opening first, it simple says "current or future openings"

19 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/174516-report-jim-harbaugh-to-meet-with-49ers-wednesday

While still coaching at Stanford, Harbaugh interviewed for Dolphins job. Sparano was still coach of Dolphins

It's a bad look, and the dolphins owner knew it

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/08/dolphins-ross-admits-botching-sparano-harbaugh-situation/amp/?client=ms-android-verizon

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It doesn't matter if it's a bad look if that's what you got to do to get better...Nothing wrong with not firing a guy till you know you can get a better replacement or the splash guy you want..I don't feel sorry for handclapper at all..He will be able to make millions sitting on his couch for 3 years if he wants..Nobody is going to want to hire him as a head coach so I don't want to hear that argument..If he wants job security he should've coached better period....

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

It doesn't matter if it's a bad look if that's what you got to do to get better...Nothing wrong with not firing a guy till you know you can get a better replacement or the splash guy you want..I don't feel sorry for handclapper at all...

It blows my mind that people take such offense to his handclapping.

Nobody is going to want to hire him as a head coach so I don't want to hear that argument..

You have no idea if that's true or not so I doubt anyone gives a crap if you want to hear that argument or not.

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

You have no idea if that's true or not so I doubt anyone gives a crap if you want to hear that argument or not.

Coming from President of "The Handclapper", fan club...surprise..surprise..Im sure the other 2 Pagano worshipers will follow closely behind ya...

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Coming from President of "The Handclapper", fan club...surprise..surprise..Im sure the other 2 Pagano worshipers will follow closely behind ya...

Well, you've been using the 'The Handclapper' catch phrase for a little while now, and though we all know who you're talking about, it doesn't seem to be catching on, so, maybe you could drop that sophomoric bit.

And, you're starting to express your opinions as though they're fact. Yes, you've got those who agree with you, we all do, but that doesn't make our opinions fact.

Also, it's not just about how Chuck feels about it. It's about how everyone feels about it ('cept a select few, apparently).

1 minute ago, buccolts said:

Well, you've been using the 'The Handclapper' catch phrase for a little while now, and though we all know who you're talking about, it doesn't seem to be catching on, so, maybe you could drop that sophomoric bit.

And, you're starting to express your opinions as though they're fact. Yes, you've got those who agree with you, we all do, but that doesn't make our opinions fact.

Also, it's not just about how Chuck feels about it. It's about how everyone feels about it ('cept a select few, apparently).

Who cares. ..This politically correct nonsense is ridiculous. ..If you do a poor job at coaching Irsay owes you nothing but your guaranteed contract..If he gets let go he made his bed. ..I seriously doubt another coach wouldn't come here for that reason..They are highly competitive and want to win and if they think they can succeed here they will...Other coaches know Pagano sucks so im sure they will understand Irsays predicament. ..If anything it makes the job more enticing knowing Irsay gave a guy 5 years who is obviously incompetent. ..

Who cares. ..This politically correct nonsense is ridiculous. ..If you do a poor job at coaching Irsay owes you nothing but your guaranteed contract..If he gets let go he made his bed. ..I seriously doubt another coach wouldn't come here for that reason..They are highly competitive and want to win and if they think they can succeed here they will...Other coaches know Pagano sucks so im sure they will understand Irsays predicament. ..If anything it makes the job more enticing knowing Irsay gave a guy 5 years who is obviously incompetent. ..

Do you have a link where other coaches have said pagano sucks?

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

You don't know what Jim Irsay thinks about Pagano.

You don't know what other coaches think about Pagano.

And, go research a bit about Bob Irsay's antics as an owner to see the effect of what you're suggesting.

Heck, give Mr. Elway a call. He'll fill you in.

1 minute ago, buccolts said:

You don't know what Jim Irsay thinks about Pagano.

You don't know what other coaches think about Pagano.

And, go research a bit about Bob Irsay's antics as an owner to see the effect of what you're suggesting.

Heck, give Mr. Elway a call. He'll fill you in.

What's looking for a big time coach and not firing Mr.Mediocre unless you do got to do with Bob Irsay? Its smart actually, no use in firing everyone and making players learn a new system just to hire an unknown guy or another mid level guy...If you can't get a championship caliber coach you roll with what you got till you do find that guy, and hope your guy improves in the meantime..

32 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Two answers:

1. Most people associate clapping as a sign of approval, which is the 1st meaning of the word. Obviously, Pagano does it to show encouragement (the 2nd meaning of the word). 

2. They would prefer he get ticked off and get in someone's face instead of encouraging them when they screw up.

27 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

this shows just how clueless you are.  I was not opposed to a change this offseason, but at the same time I don't want Pagano out as much as some of you do.  I guess that makes me the president of his fan club?!?

I've just spent so much time countering the arguments from people like you who keep trying to make pagano out to be much, MUCH worse than he actually is. 

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

this shows just how clueless you are.  I was not opposed to a change this offseason, but at the same time I don't want Pagano out as much as some of you do.  I guess that makes me the president of his fan club?!?

I've just spent so much time countering the arguments from people like you who keep trying to make pagano out to be much, MUCH worse than he actually is. 

You are in every thread defending him like you are related...Makes you look like the foolish dilusional one..

You are in every thread defending him like you are related...

that's because people like you are in every thread attacking him with bogus, made up nonsense.  Oh and he and I are not related, but I'd have no problem at all with it if we were.

Makes you look like the foolish dilusional one..

only to the foolish :P