Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

2 hours ago, landrus13 said:

Darvish pitched a gem last night. He's probably the front runner for the CYA right now. Cardinals offense sure didn't show up last night. I'm sure Darvish played a role in that as well. Flaherty didn't pitch well. He hasn't been himself this season. Cards need to win both today to make me feel good about this series. Wainwright and Hudson on the mound today. Gonna need another Waino gem this evening. 

Go Cards!!

I will be happy today with a split now. I will be the first to admit when we got rid of Jake after 2017 I didn't like it. He was clutch in 2016 when we won the WS. We signed Darvish afterwords who pitched badly in the 2017 WS as the Dodgers lost, so I wasn't happy about that. Darvish is making me eat my words now and I am glad he is.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cardinals got that doubleheader sweep yesterday and it felt great!! Now we need another win today. Cardinals are only 2.5 out right now. Just 2 more against the Cubs this season. Hudson on the mound today for the Cards. 9 inning game today on ESPN tonight.

Go Cards!!

1 minute ago, landrus13 said:

Cardinals got that doubleheader sweep yesterday and it felt great!! Now we need another win today. Cardinals are only 2.5 out right now. Just 2 more against the Cubs this season. Hudson on the mound today for the Cards. 9 inning game today on ESPN tonight.

Go Cards!!

Yeah you got a critical sweep, now it gets interesting. Cards are never out of it.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is a big game tonight because if the Cubs win, the worse they can come out of this series is still 2.5 ahead. 2.5 isn't a big lead but it is still a little breathing room.

You just got to hope Lester has his stuff back today. We need to him to pitch like we know he can. Defense needs to show up better than yesterday. That first games issues seemed to be traced around the defense not making the plays when they should.

Also, the last 3 games, only one guy has had an RBI for the Cubs, Willy in GM1 Happ in GM2 and Idk who had the one RBI in GM3. We need to have more people driving guys in

2 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

You just got to hope Lester has his stuff back today. We need to him to pitch like we know he can. Defense needs to show up better than yesterday. That first games issues seemed to be traced around the defense not making the plays when they should.

Also, the last 3 games, only one guy has had an RBI for the Cubs, Willy in GM1 Happ in GM2 and Idk who had the one RBI in GM3. We need to have more people driving guys in

What is concerning to me about the Cubs is, Baez and Bryant have struggled all year. Cubs need their bats to do anything in the playoffs. You are right about Lester, sometimes we get great Lester, then we get bad Lester. I hope we get good-great Lester tonight.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is concerning to me about the Cubs is, Baez and Bryant have struggled all year. Cubs need their bats to do anything in the playoffs. You are right about Lester, sometimes we get great Lester, then we get bad Lester. I hope we get good-great Lester tonight.

I agree, Javy just has been to far in his own head and KB has been in and out of lineup which I think plays into his struggles and now he is stuck in his head. And if Lester can pitch like we know he can tonight, that would be real helpful

3 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I agree, Javy just has been to far in his own head and KB has been in and out of lineup which I think plays into his struggles and now he is stuck in his head. And if Lester can pitch like we know he can tonight, that would be real helpful

Yeah I haven't seen Baez struggle like this in a long time. Bryant got injured so he gets a little pass but he still has struggled. Lester needs to bring his A game tonight.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

RIP,  he was a great player.

Two great baseball players dying in one week. 

Brock's death came after Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Seaver died Monday. Brock faced Seaver 157 times in his career. That was the most plate appearances against any pitcher for Brock, who was in turn the batter Seaver faced the most number of times, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

Cards win!

Nice effort.  Cubs struck out 12 times, CardinLs struck out 11 times.

You tend to underestimate your team too much, I don't. I have seen this story a million times haha . Both of our teams are good though. At least the Cubs have made this a tough rivalry over the last 5 years. It really became a true rivalry after 2016 because the Cubs won it all, before that we were a team that was known as a team that couldn't win the big one. You guys have 11 Championships and usually rise when it counts.

Just now, HOZER said:

Cubs back to last seasons form....Chicago Cubs GIF by Marquee Sports Network

Cubs = Colts which is great but Cards = Pats which is better, JMO. We won our championship at least recently so that boulder is off our back but the Cards just almost always find a way haha . They are like the Yankees history wise. We could still win the division but I wouldn't doubt the Cards eek it out.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs = Colts which is great but Cards = Pats which is better, JMO. We won our championship at least recently so that boulder is off our back but the Cards just almost always find a way haha . They are like the Yankees history wise. We could still win the division but I wouldn't doubt the Cards eek it out.

I don't like the Cardinals referred to as the Pats.  Maybe a better comparison would be them as the Steelers.  Usually always good and usually in the playoff hunt with a history of many Super bowl wins.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Let's remember the trade.

The phrase "Brock for Broglio" is sometimes used in the sport of baseball to signify a trade that in hindsight, turns out to be an extremely lopsided transaction.[1]

The names in the phrase refer to Lou Brock and Ernie Broglio respectively, the centerpieces of a June 15, 1964, six-player deal: Brock, Jack Spring and Paul Toth were traded from the Chicago Cubs to the St. Louis Cardinals in exchange for Broglio, Bobby Shantz, and Doug Clemens.[1]

It was thought initially the Cubs had done better in the deal, as Broglio was coming off some impressive seasons while pitching for the Cardinals, while Brock had been considered a disappointment for the Cubs.[1]

Almost immediately the effects of the trade were felt, as Brock batted .348 for the Cardinals and led them to winning the 1964 World Series. Brock also helped the Cardinals to another World Series title in 1967, a pennant in 1968, and played successfully for St. Louis through 1979, amassing 3,023 hits and 938 stolen bases (at the time becoming baseball's all-time leader in stolen bases) en route to his Hall of Fame election in 1985. Meanwhile, Broglio went only 4-7 with a 4.04 ERA for the Cubs, and by 1966 was out of Major League Baseball. Broglio did not tell anyone at the time, but he was suffering from an injured elbow since the second half of the 1963 season, and in November 1964, had his ulnar nerve reset.[1]

This is sometimes referred to as the most lopsided trade in baseball history.[

In a bit of baseball irony, Cardinals’ General Manager Bing Devine, who engineered the deal, was fired that August, before the team surged to the top of the standings. John Holland, on the other hand, hung on as Cubs’ GM until 1975, never producing a winner. One good result: Lou Brock and Ernie Broglio became friends, much like Ralph Branca and Bobby Thomson, and remain on good terms to his day. Unfortunately, both are dealing with significant health issues.

My above post, I meant 2.5 game lead not 3.5 game lead, see this post. It is accurate :thmup:

Cubs win 5-1! Much needed, 2.5 game lead again over the Cards in the NL Central. Baez and Bryant both had hits and Hendricks was back to being the Professor :thmup:. Fly the Flag Hozer. 24-18 with 18 to play.

Standings as of September 7th are:

Cubs 24-18

Cards 17-16 (2.5 back)

Brewers 18-21 (4.5 back)

Season series against the Cards 5-5, I will take that.

Not online this weekend.  Interesting series between the Cubs and Cards.  Seems a different team showed up each day...both are struggling with consistency.  And, both struggling at the plate for most of the season with a few break out games here and there.  Watching last night and was surprised at some of the offensive numbers of players on both teams who are usually solid.

I sure hope Matt Carpenter's days in St. Louis are numbered.  Such a liability defensively and now his hitting is not making up for his poor defense.  He usually could hit enough to offset his defensive woes, but not this year.  Ready for them to move on and bring up Gorman or sign a FA third basemen who can make plays.

This will go down to the wire, it appears.

Sad news about Lou Brock.  He was a special player and loved by all St. Louis fans.

18 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Cubs made a few roster adjustments  

Called up recent addition Ildemaro Vargas and signed Billy Hamilton

@2006Coltsbestever @HOZER @PuntersArePeopleToo

Even more roster news Jose Martinez sent down, Billy Hamilton is now in Chicago to serve as a late defense/base stealer guy. Still no Heyward but could be back sooner than later, and hopefully is much better (Health wise)

21 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Not online this weekend.  Interesting series between the Cubs and Cards.  Seems a different team showed up each day...both are struggling with consistency.  And, both struggling at the plate for most of the season with a few break out games here and there.  Watching last night and was surprised at some of the offensive numbers of players on both teams who are usually solid.

I sure hope Matt Carpenter's days in St. Louis are numbered.  Such a liability defensively and now his hitting is not making up for his poor defense.  He usually could hit enough to offset his defensive woes, but not this year.  Ready for them to move on and bring up Gorman or sign a FA third basemen who can make plays.

This will go down to the wire, it appears.

Sad news about Lou Brock.  He was a special player and loved by all St. Louis fans.

I'm with you.   Carpenter hasn't been an asset.  In fact many Cards haven't been very good. 

Batting averages:

Carpenter - .178

O'Neil - .183

Bader - .224

Carlson - .162

Thomas - .130

Wieters - .059

3 of these guys have been in the lineup every game.    

Archived