Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our defensive backs

DarkHorse

4 hours ago, krunk said:
  • The #Lions have signed TE Khari Lee to the team's practice squad and released CB D'Joun Smith from the practice squad

— Detroit Lions (@Lions) Nov 10, 2016

Don't know what's going on with Djoun Smith.  Wonder if the Colts will kick the tires again by putting him on their PS?

He's Obviously not an NFL caliber football player 

So far, Robinson has not been great in coverage. He's not playing they type of sticky coverage they had hoped for. He looks very unsure of himself and unsure of his technique. He's played more like a rookie than a vet, so far. It could be the new team, or the new defense, but he looks a second behind the action on every play. His guys are often getting open quick and easy and they're making easy catches. I've also noticed an aversion to tackling or getting his uniform too dirty, which has now irked me. Melvin on the other hand has been much better out on the edge, IMHO, and has no problem getting physical.  I haven't given up on Robinson, but he hasn't 'wowed' in any way, yet.

The guy that has 'wowed' me is Frankie Williams. My 'player radar' goes off every time I see him out there. I think he's our future Nickel corner.

1 hour ago, Douzer said:

So far, Robinson has not been great in coverage. He's not playing they type of sticky coverage they had hoped for. He looks very unsure of himself and unsure of his technique. He's played more like a rookie than a vet, so far. It could be the new team, or the new defense, but he looks a second behind the action on every play. His guys are often getting open quick and easy and they're making easy catches. I've also noticed an aversion to tackling or getting his uniform too dirty, which has now irked me. Melvin on the other hand has been much better out on the edge, IMHO, and has no problem getting physical.  I haven't given up on Robinson, but he hasn't 'wowed' in any way, yet.

The guy that has 'wowed' me is Frankie Williams. My 'player radar' goes off every time I see him out there. I think he's our future Nickel corner.

That's interesting that you mentioned Frankie because whenever I see him out there I am always nervous. He doesn't make me nervous because of what I have seen, because I really have not seen much of him, but he just makes me nervous because if our #2 corner is playing this poorly, I am extremely afraid to see what our #4-5 plays like. 

I do like Melvin a lot. He seems to be more suited and comfortable on the outside. Robinson's real skill came when Diego played him in their slot. I think that however puts our coaching staff in a funky predicament because then what would they do with Butler? They would essentially be benching Butler in favor or Melvin & Robinson. However, Butler has the most interceptions on the team. What is interesting is the safety business, McCourty was moved to safety over in NE and he is thriving there. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out when Adams is healthy again. I liked the speed I saw, they did a good job slowing down GB. And I wasn't even worried seeing Melvin opposite Nelson. 

IMO we could still use a #2 opposite Davis but Melvin has been a pleasant surprise. He has been very solid on the outside and holding his own. Robinson is a good slot corner, that is where he should stay. I would like to see more of Butler at free safety. He looked good back there against GB. Mabey we can resign him to play there for us next yearif the GB  game wasn't a fluke since Adams will probably be done.

On 11/11/2016 at 10:53 PM, Douzer said:

I think Robinson has played pretty well since the Bears game. He was a bit shaky 2nd galf of KC game, but played really good against GB.

4 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I think Robinson has played pretty well since the Bears game. He was a bit shaky 2nd galf of KC game, but played really good against GB.

Yeah and that breakup on the 2 point conversion was a beaut. He seems to be doing well in the slot, and Melvin has been quite a pleasant surprise.

Although I would still like to see the Colts address CB this off season. Haven't seen much of the CBs in the draft, but there are some solid guys who I wouldn't mind Indy nabbing for the right price. Johnson, Kirkpatrick, etc. 

However if they want to go for the long term fix at CB, and try to stabilize the spot next to Davis, drafting one would likely be the best option.

4 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Yeah and that breakup on the 2 point conversion was a beaut. He seems to be doing well in the slot, and Melvin has been quite a pleasant surprise.

Although I would still like to see the Colts address CB this off season. Haven't seen much of the CBs in the draft, but there are some solid guys who I wouldn't mind Indy nabbing for the right price. Johnson, Kirkpatrick, etc. 

However if they want to go for the long term fix at CB, and try to stabilize the spot next to Davis, drafting one would likely be the best option.

We might even need to look at drafting 2. Vontae is getting older. Can't expect him to be here forever