Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You guys do realize we're about a pass rusher or 2 and relative health away from contending

AllYouNeedIsLuck

On 10/24/2016 at 7:51 PM, AllYouNeedIsLuck said:

I truly believe this to be the case

Shame it'll be hard to get those pass rushers tho....

All of the most glaring needs at this point, outside of RB, are on the defensive side of the ball. I think with the ~$60mil in cap space the Colts will have, combined with an emphasis on defense in the draft, they could end up putting a pretty decent, young starting roster on the field come next season. That doesn't mean they'll be an elite (or even good) defense right away though, no more than drafting 4 OL this year instantly made the line better. It'll take time, and depth will be lacking, but having an athletic LB corps all in their low 20s will be a welcome change to say the least.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree that the defense looks bad bc they're also so gassed every play. Downs take so long with no pass rush forces corners and linebackers have to cover for longer. With a pass rush you make the entire offense uneasy, and calls for less time in coverage. Looking forward to the moves grigs makes this offseason to address our LB group. 

On 10/25/2016 at 0:02 PM, Superman said:

I have no problem saying they have the best group of pass rushers in the league. There might be an argument for the Vikings, but I'd say Denver is the best.

My question is whether they have four excellent pass rushers. I don't think so. Miller, obviously. Ware used to be an excellent pass rusher, but not only is he not playing right now, he's also getting older and isn't as good as he used to be. He definitely makes an impact, but he benefits from playing alongside Miller. Ray is still young, will probably get better, good prospect.... excellent pass rusher? Not at this time. Barrett, not at all, but a good, functional player. 

I assumed you were talking about edge rushers. I think Wolfe is an excellent player, but not an excellent pass rusher. 

Splitting hairs, I suppose, but I think the point is that they have one excellent pass rusher, and a complement of good role players who work well together. The Colts don't have that one outstanding player, but that's just one player. They also don't have a complement of good role players -- which includes everyone in the defensive front. But it's easier to find guys like Brandon Marshall, Wolfe, Barrett, Ray, Ware, etc., than it is to find guys like Von Miller. You get that one guy, and everything else can fall into place.

Youre right. Youre just splittung hairs. Lets get serious bro

41 minutes ago, Superman said:

They don't have four excellent pass rushers, is the truth of it. 

I expect Ray to get better and be a force however as he learns from Miller. As to the Colts pass rushers I wish Pagano and Monachino would just stick Ayers in at rush linebacker permanently and tell him to go get the QB. He's played better than any OLB we have almost combined with exception of Walden. Bring in Mathis for 3rd down perhaps and slide Ayers up to Will or Mike and Geathers down to Will or Mike

IMO:

Yes if we want to be nit-picky, we could 'use' upgrades in EVERY position.  There is a difference between already have servicable players and wanting better, and NEEDING servicable players.

We have 1-2 servicable LB's.  We need 2-3 more.  That is ALL i see we absolutely NEED.

I believe we have great depth with good/serviable d-line.  And good/servicable depth in the backfield.  With a good mixture of youth and experience at both.

Our linebackers on the other hand are absolutely killing us.

Our DB's are playing thier butts off, but when you're covering for 4-6 seconds, you're going to loose at some point.  no pass rush allows this to happen.

The linebackers are not tackling well, and not playing the run efficiently enough.  Allowing gaps to open by over running plays or running directly into but not through blockers.

To have a good top half defense, I think the OP was very close to the mark.  But i'd add ILB's also. Aside from Walden and Ayers, our LB's have been shoddy at best, and game killers at worst.