Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So The Colts Actually DO Have a Defense?!?!

WarGhost21

Our defense seems to play well within their limitations for much of the game.  Then, it's like a light switch gets flipped... they go on a mental and physical mistake tirade.  And have difficulty 'getting it back together' again.

While listening to this game on gamepass streaming (home team Bob Lamey version), it sounded just like Houston version 2.0 near the end.  The final difference?  Nobody on the Colts D made a play vs. Houston and they scored and we lost.  Against the Titans, 1 player stepped up on one play on D and allowed Mathis to scoop and score to extended and preserve the lead.  1 play.

If not for TY McGill, we may well all be ranting about yet another epic meltdown by this undisciplined group of defensive players.  These coaches have a lot to clean up, for certain.

8 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

1) Mariota is having a bad year.  He had some accuracy and decision-making issues yesterday

2) We played Tennessee, not really the most talented team in the league

3) Our defense took several penalties that kept the Titans in the game when we should have put them away much earlier

4) I believe Tennessee had some OL issues, which contributed to our pass rush looking better than it is.

No, we still don't have a defense.

I agree

7 hours ago, grmasterb said:

The D is mostly a toxic mixture of inexperience and past-their-prime, overpaid vets.

Grigson's favourite!  See: Andre Johnson, DQ, Trent Cole

6 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

We have an elite CB, S, and good DE.  Most of the defense is below average. 

The problem there is an elite CB doesn't do much for you when you don't have a pass rush.  No DB can cover forever.  If the opposing QB has enough time to scan the field, he can either avoid your elite CB and still move the chains, or he can simply wait until his WR beats your elite CB.  This is not a knock on Vontae at all, as I do think he's an elite CB when he's healthy.  But no DB can cover a receiver forever.  If the play goes on and the QB isn't under pressure, he can scramble around until his receiver eventually gets open.

8 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

1) Mariota is having a bad year.  He had some accuracy and decision-making issues yesterday

2) We played Tennessee, not really the most talented team in the league

3) Our defense took several penalties that kept the Titans in the game when we should have put them away much earlier

4) I believe Tennessee had some OL issues, which contributed to our pass rush looking better than it is.

No, we still don't have a defense.

Not to mention, Tennessee only ran 28 times out of over 60 plays. We were getting gouged by the run and they decided to throw more???

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

But please don't give credit to Pagano for having the guts to call for an onside kick and caught the Texans by surprise. He took a chance knowing if it didn't work he would face even more scrutiny. (not that he or anyone else on the Colts care about anyway)

Pat has the go to kick a surprise onside kick whenever he feels like he has an advantage position wise on the defenders. 

Highly unlikely this was paganos call. 

7 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Pat has the go to kick a surprise onside kick whenever he feels like he has an advantage position wise on the defenders. 

Highly unlikely this was paganos call. 

Pat wouldn't have the green light without Pagano giving it to him.  Down play it all you care to it is Pagano who is the one who takes the heat for everything when it don't work so when something does go right you still don't want to give credit. OK.

awesome way to finish the game, but just a minor correction, i dont think its mathis first time getting a TD, i remember the game against the browns years ago where peyton couldnt score and we won 10-6 or 13-6 cant remember.

i think if we get a pass rush our D will look MUCH better. i want the younger guys to keep getting more playing time

14 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Yesterday was a small pond in the desert, a mirage.  They will look good at times only to disappoint you in the long run.  Was nice to see a small sample though.  How many of us thought they were going to give that lead back?  Like ALL of us?

I know I did. I was worried the Colts scored too quick.

1 hour ago, achcolts said:

awesome way to finish the game, but just a minor correction, i dont think its mathis first time getting a TD, i remember the game against the browns years ago where peyton couldnt score and we won 10-6 or 13-6 cant remember.

i think if we get a pass rush our D will look MUCH better. i want the younger guys to keep getting more playing time

Bingo- Mathis scored on a 37 yard fumble recovery. Week 13 against the Browns. We were down 6-3 with less that 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Won 10-6.

19 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pat wouldn't have the green light without Pagano giving it to him.  Down play it all you care to it is Pagano who is the one who takes the heat for everything when it don't work so when something does go right you still don't want to give credit. OK.

Im not down playing anything. Andrew Luck has the green light to audible I don't give pagano credit for a good audible by Andrew. Rationalize it how you want. 

36 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Im not down playing anything. Andrew Luck has the green light to audible I don't give pagano credit for a good audible by Andrew. Rationalize it how you want. 

Yeah and I bet had the onside kick failed you would have been very quick to blame Pagano for that.

Now it's your turn to rationalize.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah and I bet had the onside kick failed you would have been very quick to blame Pagano for that.

You can't rationalize a theoretical reaction to a theoretical scenario. That's not how logic or debate works. I don't even know if there is a name for the logical fallacy you just used. It appears to be on part straw man, one part confirmation bias, and one part ad hominem. Truly impressive.

37 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

You can't rationalize a theoretical reaction to a theoretical scenario. That's not how logic or debate works. I don't even know if there is a name for the logical fallacy you just used. It appears to be on part straw man, one part confirmation bias, and one part ad hominem. Truly impressive.

Take it as you see fit.

Calling out Pagano for what is perceived as his inability to coach and then making him the scrap goat for all the Colts ills is pretty narrow minded.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am more of an observer on these forums. I have been on this particular forum since before they rebuilt the entire page, before pagano was ever coach. I'm sure you remember that forum. I do not support pagano. But I haven't been quick to condemn the man. 

On 10/24/2016 at 10:43 AM, WarGhost21 said:

I was beginning to think we were just picking people out of the stands to put in on the defensive side of the ball, but our defense came to play against the Titans. Yes, we gave up some bad penalties, but it was overall a great performance. After averaging 9+ missed tackles the first 6 weeks, we only gave up 3 this week. While 2 of those missed tackles were on the Titan's touchdown drive to tie the game, it was still a very promising performance. Our pass rush looked great, and Robert Mathis even got a scoop and score (the first of his career) to put the game away for good. If our defense can play like that week in and week out, and the offense continues to put large amounts of points on the board, we should start winning quite a few games. Before that, though, we seriously need to cut down on the penalties. Oh well, you can't win every little battle I guess....

The Defense has pretty much sucked all season last week they sucked a lil less so people put up there pitchforks . 

Even a broken clock is good twice a day .  

20 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I am more of an observer on these forums. I have been on this particular forum since before they rebuilt the entire page, before pagano was ever coach. I'm sure you remember that forum. I do not support pagano. But I haven't been quick to condemn the man. 

Fair enough.