Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unfamiliar territory

MR. Blueblood

6 weeks into the season the Colts are 0-2 in the division and find themselves sitting in the cellar of the worst division in the NFL.  This team consistently shoots themselves in the foot, lacks discipline and fundamentals, and makes some of the worst decisions at critical moments.  What, if anything, can they do to climb out of this huge hole they've dug for themselves?  Can they get out of this unfamiliar territory or are they doomed to circle the drain for the remainder of this season?

7 minutes ago, MR. Blueblood said:

6 weeks into the season the Colts are 0-2 in the division and find themselves sitting in the cellar of the worst division in the NFL.  This team consistently shoots themselves in the foot, lacks discipline and fundamentals, and makes some of the worst decisions at critical moments.  What, if anything, can they do to climb out of this huge hole they've dug for themselves?  Can they get out of this unfamiliar territory or are they doomed to circle the drain for the remainder of this season?

It's out of our hands now. The Texans will need to screw up majorly against the other teams in the division. Don't forget the Titans are sitting pretty at 3-3 for the moment. They could easily steal the division away. 

Our schedule doesn't get any easier. In fact, the worst has yet to come...

1. Fire Grigson or Pagano, they don't go together. It's Peanut Butter with Ketchup, doesn't go together

2. Remove Good from RG. Too many penalties and plays allowed. I like Haeg, he can stay

3. Robert Mathis needs to be benched. He's a rotational player at this point, find someone else

4. We have to get Moncrief back ASAP, Dorsett is the fastest player on the field and you barely see him make plays or get open

5. Josh Ferguson needs to be buried at the bottom of the roster. Don't touch the field ever. Roll with Turbin, Gore, & even Todman

6. Start holding people accountable for their mistakes. For every penalty you commit in the game, you run 10 laps in practice

4 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

1. Fire Grigson or Pagano, they don't go together. It's Peanut Butter with Ketchup, doesn't go together

2. Remove Good from RG. Too many penalties and plays allowed. I like Haeg, he can stay

3. Robert Mathis needs to be benched. He's a rotational player at this point, find someone else

4. We have to get Moncrief back ASAP, Dorsett is the fastest player on the field and you barely see him make plays or get open

5. Josh Ferguson needs to be buried at the bottom of the roster. Don't touch the field ever. Roll with Turbin, Gore, & even Todman

6. Start holding people accountable for their mistakes. For every penalty you commit in the game, you run 10 laps in practice

You didn't see Good give up a sack last night and he moved people in the running game.  He wasn't the only person who got a penalty last night.

1 hour ago, MR. Blueblood said:

Hmm, unfamiliar?  No.  Uncommon, yes.  Take a peek at this-

In 2001, he Colts had been picked as a playoff team in most preseason predictions, but their season went bad. Players started getting hurt, including a season-ending knee injury to two-time NFL rushing champion Edgerrin James, and a porous defense finished the season ranked 29th.

HC Jim Mora had a (covert) public feud with quarterback Peyton Manning, a two-time Pro Bowler at that time, after the coach criticized his team for committing five turnovers in a 40-21 loss to San Francisco on Nov. 25. putting the Colts 4 - 6.  The Coolts finished  6 - 10 for the season that year.

The Colts fired Jim Mora on Tuesday 1/8/2002 after four seasons as Indianapolis' coach and two days after he tearfully declared he wanted to stay in the job. Mora said his refusal to fire Vic Fangio (the DC) was the main reason for his firing but that there were other circumstances he couldn't discuss.

So, there is precedent for firing a HC after a bad season.  But Polian pulled that trigger, not Irsay.  But those still wanting Pagano gone, don't get your hopes up too high yet.  After the Mora firing, there was the dilemma of who to hire.  Tony Dungy was not Bill's choice.  Here's a recollection of Phil Wilson of the Indy Star-

Dungy wasn't Polian's guy. I know that for a fact, that Dungy was not who Bill wanted. Jimmy [Irsay] basically got Bill on a plane. He went down to Tampa. They got Tony and Bill in a room and said, You work it out. Jimmy just made it clear: He's my coach.

It's worth noting that, like Dungy, Jim Caldwell was not someone Bill Polian wanted to hire as the head coach. Again, like Dungy, Caldwell was an Irsay hire, and it was done to maintain the status quo. Also, think about it: Caldwell was Peyton Manning's quarterback coach. Clearly, the move was made to satisfy the retiring Dungy and to keep Peyton happy.  So Jim will do his 'job', but he puts much thought into it and won't wreck the china cabinet just to make noise.

14 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

The season is lost.  Trade older vets for late round picks if you can, fire the coaches and GM

Totally agree, I'm out of likes today.

The smartest thing is the trading older vets if someone comes asking. No need to hold onto players for a playoff run.

Play out the season, then clean house.

4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

The season is lost.  Trade older vets for late round picks if you can, fire the coaches and GM

Agree with the first part. About the last part - let the coaches and GM keep digging the hole and get us a top draft pick then fire them in the off-season.

Tell Luck to go and get his shoulder in order. No need for him to get plowed game after game... We will need him healthy in the future more than we need him now.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Agree with the first part. About the last part - let the coaches and GM keep digging the hole and get us a top draft pick then fire them in the off-season.

Tell Luck to go and get his shoulder in order. No need for him to get plowed game after game... We will need him healthy in the future more than we need him now.

Fire Grigson and Pagano (unlikely)

Trade Art Jones, Gore, DQ, Mike Adams, Mathis, and other older vets (maybe even Vinny despite how many tears we would all shed) for late round picks if possible.  I doubt any team would throw much more than a 6th or 7th our way.

Give younger guys like Maggitt, Clark, Rogers, etc. more playing time to grow and develop.

I'd also like to see Luck take more control of play calling.  Give him complete control over audibles, let him try calling all of his own plays for a drive or two a game just to give him some experience with it.

Don't you guys remember the signs,,,,,,,,

COLTS= Count On Losing This Sunday

We have been here before.

This teams descent into this abyss has been brewing for years but we have been fooled by a "great" win percentage in a bad division.  Many on this board would be singing this teams praises if Detroit missed a field goal and we were able to beat the Texans with that double digit lead going into the 4th. WE HAVE PLAYED BAD EVERY GAME THIS SEASON.....

Change is needed. Pagano can not motivate this team. He lost his fire when he came back from treatment. Sad but true. Other things may be more important to him. Definitely not this team