Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A little stat about Ryan Kelly

backshoulderfade

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Nope. Not a fan of the total skill sets of our LT or LG.
Right now we have Totally unproven players at RG and RT.  Yeehaaa!

Kelly looks decent so far.
 I have watched him get out on a few screens. He was moving Very Good! Nice!!
 Our current guards are beyond useless pulling or in screens. Some Sad ___! A reason i like Haeg there.
  Not as bad a problem as our GM`s total loss of a LB corp, but a serious long term issue anyway.

Just out of curiosity do you ever make a comment that don't rag on Grigson?

I understand what you are saying but every thread you make a comment in involves Grigson.

It's like an obsession with you that Grigson has infiltrated your mind so much you have a need to include him in comments that really don't even relate to him.

Happy to see him playing so well. One thing that I think is huge, and haven't seen anyone mention it....his and Lucks exchanges haven't resulted in any fumbles yet, which is something that really keeps this team afloat. I think we have fumbled 1 time on the center-qb exchange, and that was last week out of the shotgun when Luck took his eye off the ball....to me this has been huge because our margin for error this season has been so razor thin that a lost fumble on an exchange from a rookie center would be devastating. 

9 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'm not overlooking it in fact I'm acknowledging that he's an upgrade on the players in the positions from last year.

You're over playing it though. Is our run game actually better? We've still had rb's hit in the backfield and we've still had pressure (although not sacks) straight up the middle. 

Kells is fine but having a pro-bowl first round center only makes a marginal difference to the team and the results. Give me an undervalued player like a Saturday or a Matt Paradis in that position and fill the key positions with top grade talent.

Yes our run game is better. That stats show it. We have had our RBs hit less in the backfield this season that in the last three seasons. That stat shows it.

The pressure you call coming from up the middle is not coming from the center position.

You call Saturday an undervalued player? No he was a pro bowl center who was paid that way.

The center is the anker that calls the offensive sets on run blocking and pass blocking.

He may be of little importance in your opinion but that attitude is not shared by many.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes our run game is better. That stats show it. We have had our RBs hit less in the backfield this season that in the last three seasons. That stat shows it.

The pressure you call coming from up the middle is not coming from the center position.

You call Saturday an undervalued player? No he was a pro bowl center who was paid that way.

The center is the anker that calls the offensive sets on run blocking and pass blocking.

He may be of little importance in your opinion but that attitude is not shared by many.

Undervalued in the way we acquired him. Not undervalued in terms of achievement. 

Aren't we at 90 yards per game rushing this year compared to 89 last year or an I mistaken? Haven't seen any stats in the rb's getting hit in the backfield.

A minimum of 10 of the pressures have come from the centre position. It says so in the article.

1 minute ago, ClaytonColt said:

Undervalued in the way we acquired him. Not undervalued in terms of achievement. 

Aren't we at 90 yards per game rushing this year compared to 89 last year or an I mistaken? Haven't seen any stats in the rb's getting hit in the backfield.

A minimum of 10 of the pressures have come from the centre position. It says so in the article.

Frank Gore is up to 4.2 ypc compared to 3.7 last year. We are actually running the ball fine but not enough so the overall run stat of 90 yards per game does not show it. We are running on average 3 times last per game at 22 times compared to 25 last year

Turbin-9 carries 25 yards

Gore-78 carries 328 yards

Ferguson-8 carries 8 yards

Now that does average out to 3.8 ypc but keep in mind Gore has by far more carries on a team that does not run much and Gore does average 4.2 ypc. Whats most likely is Turbins ypc goes significantly up if they gave him a significant amount of carries. But no at the same time the we still have issues on the right side and Kelly's strength has been pass blocking this year

1 minute ago, Gavin said:

Frank Gore is up to 4.2 ypc compared to 3.7 last year. We are actually running the ball fine but not enough so the overall run stat of 90 yards per game does not show it. We are running on average 3 times last per game at 22 times compared to 25 last year

Turbin-9 carries 25 yards

Gore-78 carries 328 yards

Ferguson-8 carries 8 yards

Now that does average out to 3.8 ypc but keep in mind Gore has by far more carries on a team that does not run much and Gore does average 4.2 ypc. Whats most likely is Turbins ypc goes significantly up if they gave him a significant amount of carries. But no at the same time the we still have issues on the right side and Kelly's strength has been pass blocking this year

Won't the fact that the opposition were daring our gaggle of back up passers to throw last year have a bit of an impact on that also? 

So we're running the ball 3 less times per game to make exactly the same yardage. That doesn't seem like a big deal in the slightest 

41 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just out of curiosity do you ever make a comment that don't rag on Grigson?

I understand what you are saying but every thread you make a comment in involves Grigson.

It's like an obsession with you that Grigson has infiltrated your mind so much you have a need to include him in comments that really don't even relate to him.

Thanks for your question.
 I looked back over my last 25 posts and found 25 comments about Grigson! :Yikes:
 LOL Actually it was 6 times out of 25 posts.

If it is about Anything on the field regarding the Colts players, it relates to Grigson.
 JMO of course.
   I believe if we had more good players on HIS roster, there would be fewer posts directed at him.
  He OWNS it! 
   Yes, i certainly hope All of our young players stay healthy and get much better.
  If they do, with 2 more excellent drafts we could be a contender again in 2-3 years. lol

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I looked back over my last 25 posts and found 25 comments about Grigson! :Yikes:

If it is about Anything on the field regarding the Colts players, it relates to Grigson.
 JMO of course.
   I believe if we had more good players on HIS roster, there would be fewer posts directed at him.
  He OWNS it! 
   Yes, i certainly hope All of our young players stay healthy and get much better.
  If they do, with 2 more excellent drafts we could be a contender again in 2-3 years. lol

Thanks for the response without making it personal.

Yes you are correct in Grigson owning it. Well owning up to it anyways. :D

51 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Counting just our running backs the YPC, for RB`s in 2016 is 3.83. 2015 it was 3.67 i believe.

We have been getting some nice 5-6 yard runs this season. Heading in the right direction.
 Gotta stop those pesky penalties to keep us out of those longer yardage downs.
 RT looks like a problem for the season. Hopefully the RG play solidifies ASAP.

40 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

While I don't have the stats in front of me we were getting sacked and RBs hit in the backfield a lot more coming off the center position over the last 2 or 3 years compared to what we have seen this season.

I think with the other draft picks that were taken in the last draft this will get better with those players growing into their positions.

I know the article said we have had 10 pressures this year but it seemed we were getting about that many a game in the past. Maybe an exaggeration but it was getting tiresome to watch at the time.

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Counting just our running backs the YPC, for RB`s in 2016 is 3.83. 2015 it was 3.67 i believe.

We have been getting some nice 5-6 yard runs this season. Heading in the right direction.
 Gotta stop those pesky penalties to keep us out of those longer yardage downs.
 RT looks like a problem for the season. Hopefully the RG play solidifies ASAP.

That is a very good point talking about the penalties. Add that with the dropped passes and it just puts us in a bad situation caused by ourselves.

I said in an earlier comment it is one thing to get beat but to help beat yourself sure don't help.

51 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Won't the fact that the opposition were daring our gaggle of back up passers to throw last year have a bit of an impact on that also? 

So we're running the ball 3 less times per game to make exactly the same yardage. That doesn't seem like a big deal in the slightest 

That's 18 times added onto Franks ypc at 4.2 that's 96 times 4.2 ypc . He would have over 403 yards......That would be good for 7th in the league right now

-Frank Gore has a higher ypc average than 6 Backs of 12 Backs who have higher total yards

-All but 2 of those Backs (Freeman-78 and Crowell-74) have at least 15 more carries total than Gore

We don't run enough in the 2nd half. That's where we can use Turbin between the 20's after starting the 2nd half on some intermediate routes

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

JMO of course.
  He OWNS it! 

I concur

13 hours ago, Dustin said:

The actual play of the offensive line isnt really important here. The main problem with Luck taking hits has always been two things: 

A. He holds onto the ball too long

B. Every OC we've had since 2012 ran a mad-bomber offense with slow developing routes and a ton of 7-step drops. 

Neither of these things changed and as a result, even with improved offensive line talent, Luck is still on pace to take an insane amount of hits and sacks. 

Luck has taken more 7-step drops than any QB in the league this year (per PFF), and has also been sacked more than any QB. I wonder at what point will Chuck & Chud make this connection.

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Luck has taken more 7-step drops than any QB in the league this year (per PFF), and has also been sacked more than any QB. I wonder at what point will Chuck & Chud make this connection.

Probably not until Scott Tolzien is throwing passes. 

Ryan Kelly is going to be a top 3 center in the NFL in few short years. I really love the left side of our offensive line and hopefully we can shore up the left side by the beginning of next season.

The fact that Kelly is playing this well this early in his career is a huge indication that he's only going to get better with experience. I know he's been a little banged up, but I expect him to really stand out after our BYE week later on in the season. Can't wait to see this kid a few years from now (hopefully we can continue to build around him)

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 7:05 PM, backshoulderfade said:

I suppose the sacker would have to directly beat the blocker for it to be a sack allowed.

I guess you're right..I'm just wondering how accurate such stats are.

Weve ball watched the Colts and does anyone think that NO sacks have come up the middle over Ryans position.

I like Ryan Kelly but a number suggesting hes given up no sacks, to me, is obviously wrong

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I guess you're right..I'm just wondering how accurate such stats are.

Weve ball watched the Colts and does anyone think that NO sacks have come up the middle over Ryans position.

I like Ryan Kelly but a number suggesting hes given up no sacks, to me, is obviously wrong

Do consider that a large amount of Kelly's snaps are spent double teaming players with either guard. He is probabpy on an island less than any other position.

8 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Do consider that a large amount of Kelly's snaps are spent double teaming players with either guard. He is probabpy on an island less than any other position.

again..true...but isn't it then misleading to say hes given up no sacks...?

..and who makes the decisions on what is and isn't an allowed sack..

I'm just suspicious of O-line stats because the O-line is an interchangable  group where one man's success and failure always depends on the guy next to him...

IMO, we were spoiled by the talent and work ethic, of an outstanding Oline coach. Howard Mudd did more for the Colts winning games,than most people realize. He never had great talent along the whole line, but he made those he had,look great. His training and scheming left little to be desired,and now he is truly missed. I believe our Oline will be adequate at best,until we find another great Oline coach.

On 10/13/2016 at 8:48 PM, LockeDown said:

I think we're close. 

Just my opinion, but I think AC isn't super talented.  I think he has worked extremely hard to be where he is at.  I think the rest of our line is talented and if they work hard, they will be very good.  At some point though, I would like another Tarik Glen there.  

Yes it's just never looked to me that AC was big enough. It's just a observation though.