Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Props To Irsay Thread

WoolMagnet

yea, the guy does some whacky stuff sometimes, but its about time we give him some credit.

back in 98(?) he "blew things up" and that worked out "ok" I'd say.

He's got the guts to fire one of the "best" GMs of all time.

He's not afraid of change when its needed.(compared to say SD). Most around here have wanted that.

He spends the money when he needs to.

He seems to be doing a thorough job looking for a coach.

All things considered, I think he's handling the Manning/luck thing pretty well. This is obviously a BIG deal. Not just in "coltsland" but to the NFL as a whole. Its a very difficult and delicate matter and i think he's been pretty open, honest, and imo has said enough but not the wrong thing or too much.

I know he may not do everything the way each of us might do it but I can sincerely see that he is passionate about this team and is taking action to "steer the ship" at a very important time in the franchises life. Some BIG decisions are taking place now and in the next few months. Lets get behind Jim because it looks like he has our "backs" as far as this team goes.

PS.... I love the wacky stuff cuz I'm half-nuts myself.

I think he is one of the best owners in sports. It's so hard to believe he is his dad's son at times.

Even the way he handled one of the darker moments in his life I respect him for. He came clean with his issue and got the help he needed for it. I respect him for that.

It's pretty clear Irsay loves his fan base and yes the city of Indianapolis and will do anything he can to make both happy. As a fan he's all you can ask for in an owner. He goes out of his way to do anything in his power to make sure he fields a winner.

He should come out at the bigging of the Super Bowl with that white suit on and cane to the Willy Wonka theme then sing the national anthem.

Then play guitar with Madonna at half-time.

What the heck, its his stadium!

Well no it is the City's satdium the Colts just have a lease there and I just remembered that outfit when you brought it up. How can you not love (and think the dude is off his rocker) someone who dressed up like that!

Maybe that's his surprise he's going to hide Super Bowl Tickets around town and do another scanvenger hunt. Can you imange if he never found twitter he might have one of those every week! I really would have liked to been in the room when Irsay found twitter. I just see him falling completely in love with something so simple.

Well no it is the City's satdium the Colts just have a lease there and I just remembered that outfit when you brought it up. How can you not love (and think the dude is off his rocker) someone who dressed up like that!

Maybe that's his surprise he's going to hide Super Bowl Tickets around town and do another scanvenger hunt. Can you imange if he never found twitter he might have one of those every week! I really would have liked to been in the room when Irsay found twitter. I just see him falling completely in love with something so simple.

A buddy of mine from college played golf with him several times. I'd love to spend the day on the course with him. My buddy said he's quite open. I'd love to spend the day talkin Colts with the guy. I think he'd be fun to spend a few hours with if he'd feel "comfortable" with you. maybe stop by Peyton's house after the round "all liquored up" and get P "in trouble " with his wife cuz Irsay told him he HAD to come out in the limo for beers. No, scratch that, Irsay decides we have to fly in his jet to Vegas. And I said " hey we might as well pick up McAfee on the way to the airport". Irsay says " yea, Wool, my new best friend. great idea".

Ahhhhh........ the BEAUTY of a VIVID imagination.

Edited by Maureen
inappropriate

I give Irsay HUGE props also. The time had come to steer in a different direction and he had the guts to clean house from top to bottom. I just HOPE a lesson was learned that the COACHING staff and scheme is JUST as important as the players. This is ONE of the MAIN reasons the GOAT only has ONE ring on a team that won the MOST games in a decade EVER. Peyton NEVER had that luxury of a TOP tier FOOTBALL coach (like hoodie, Walsh or some of the greats) who's PASSION for WINNING the BIG one meant EVERYTHING. STRIVE for GREATNESS this GO round in the hc search. The "IT" factor is a MUST. Don't SETTLE on a ANOTHER M E D I O C R E hc (Tressel) or bland oc (Clyde) to lead the NEW Colt's era. Don't SHY away from RECORDS (like undefeated seasons) try to SHATTER them enroute to MULTIPLE :lombardi:'s. In team sports there are CHAMPIONS and everyone else. :number1:

I think he is one of the best owners in sports. It's so hard to believe he is his dad's son at times.

Even the way he handled one of the darker moments in his life I respect him for. He came clean with his issue and got the help he needed for it. I respect him for that.

It's pretty clear Irsay loves his fan base and yes the city of Indianapolis and will do anything he can to make both happy. As a fan he's all you can ask for in an owner. He goes out of his way to do anything in his power to make sure he fields a winner.

I disagree.. completely. Mannig's stance via Krav.... confrimed my worst fears...

This Organization has crumbled. Irsay is a "kid with a new computer" .. and he acts like one.

Jim Irsay needs to act like the leader of the 11th most valuable team in the NFL... instead of acting like a HS kid quoting his fav lyrics to his peeeps.. .

Ughhh.. I am getting really worried about the state of this team.

Don't forget Irsay hijacked the Indianapolis taxpayers for LOS.

"The fact is that there is no money to operate Lucas Oil Stadium because Fred Glass and Bart Peterson gave away the store to the Irsays during the negotiations on the new stadium construction. Notice there is no talk of reopening those negotiations. No other NFL team owner has received a larger subsidy thanIrsay's Colts. The deal is the biggest taxpayer ripoff in NFL history. Irsay gets most of the revenues generated from the stadium and pays absolutely none of its operating and maintenance expenses."

"The fact is that there is no money to operate Lucas Oil Stadium because Fred Glass and Bart Peterson gave away the store to the Irsays during the negotiations on the new stadium construction. Notice there is no talk of reopening those negotiations. No other NFL team owner has received a larger subsidy thanIrsay's Colts. The deal is the biggest taxpayer ripoff in NFL history. Irsay gets most of the revenues generated from the stadium and pays absolutely none of its operating and maintenance expenses."

Easily the coolest owner in the league. I'll give props where props are due. Even though I wasn't born then, from what I gather, the apple fell a pretty good distance away from the tree.

The Nest 2 years will define Jim Irsay as a clown or a true "winner" ...

I'm on the fence....

what fanbase doesn't get jacked for a stadium.... It's he price of addmision.

The Nest 2 years will define Jim Irsay as a clown or a true "winner" ...

I'm on the fence....

Wait what? Jim Irsay pretty much became the owner of the team in 1996 after his dad had a stroke (he didn't offically take over till 1997 but he was the one calling all the shots.) Since that time all the Colts have done is win at an extremely high level other than a year here or there. Yet that doesn't help prove he's a good owner even though over that time he has given the city a team that has pretty much been a Super Bowl contender for a large chunk of 15 years including winning one Super Bowl during that run and reaching another? During that time he has helped the city of Indianapaolis become one of 15 cities to host a Super Bowl and has been reported to be extremely generous in the community. What else can you ask out of him to prove that he's a good owner? When he took over for his dad the Colts were a laughing stock amongest other owners and frankly in the world of sports since he has taken over he has become an extremely well respected owner and has taken his team which was largely an after thought in the world of Indiana sports and made them probably the number one sports team in Indiana. Yet that all doesn't count and he's going to be judged if he's a good owner or not based on what happens in the next two years when the team might be going threw a rebuilding phase?

You know if I get pick a very small time frame to look at and get to pick when that time frame is I can make Curtis Painter sound like a good back up in this league.. You have to look at the whole picture and once you do that you realize real fast Curtis Painter is not a good back up in this league and Jim Irsay is a good owner. Just because you don't happen to enjoy the fact he's on twitter doesn't make him a bad owner.

Wait what? Jim Irsay pretty much became the owner of the team in 1996 after his dad had a stroke (he didn't offically take over till 1997 but he was the one calling all the shots.) Since that time all the Colts have done is win at an extremely high level other than a year here or there. Yet that doesn't help prove he's a good owner even though over that time he has given the city a team that has pretty much been a Super Bowl contender for a large chunk of 15 years including winning one Super Bowl during that run and reaching another? During that time he has helped the city of Indianapaolis become one of 15 cities to host a Super Bowl and has been reported to be extremely generous in the community. What else can you ask out of him to prove that he's a good owner? When he took over for his dad the Colts were a laughing stock amongest other owners and frankly in the world of sports since he has taken over he has become an extremely well respected owner and has taken his team which was largely an after thought in the world of Indiana sports and made them probably the number one sports team in Indiana. Yet that all doesn't count and he's going to be judged if he's a good owner or not based on what happens in the next two years when the team might be going threw a rebuilding phase?

You know if I get pick a very small time frame to look at and get to pick when that time frame is I can make Curtis Painter sound like a good back up in this league.. You have to look at the whole picture and once you do that you realize real fast Curtis Painter is not a good back up in this league and Jim Irsay is a good owner. Just because you don't happen to enjoy the fact he's on twitter doesn't make him a bad owner.

I short changed Irsay a year he took over in 1995 after his dad had a stroke.

Incorrect. You either know how much the deal benefits your region or you don't. Here's what the Colts franchise means to the area in terms of dollars & more. Jim Irsay's commitment/responsibility to the region/state are for decades and much larger than any short term/short-sighted "perceived problem" many here view as an issue.

In 1983 the lits of cities competing to land the Colts were New York, Phoenix, Birmingham, Jacksonville and Memphis. The list was narrowed to Phoenix and Indianapolis.....and the rest is history.

What's at issue is more than just LOS. Construction of LOS and the expansion of the Indiana Convention Center were handled as one project, so financing was lumped together. The budget for the stadium was 675M, and the convention center 275M, for a total of 950M. Financing and interest bring the total cost to about 1.8B. The debt is expected to be paid off in 2040.

Payment for LOS falls upon more than just Indianapolis and the taxpayers of Indianapolis. In 2004, the Colts and the City of Indianapolis agreed to construct a new stadium for the team. It's being financed with funds raised jointly by the State of Indiana and the City of Indianapolis, with the Indianapolis Colts providing 100M. Marion County has raised taxes for food and beverage sales, auto excise taxes, innkeeper's taxes and admission taxes for its share of the costs. Meanwhile, a small increase in food and beverage taxes in six "doughnut' counties surrounding the stadium and the sale of Colts license plates completes the total.

It's fair to presume that at base level we're all in favor of NFL stadiums since we're NFL fans. People to be excluded would be those taking issue with integrating sports into their culture/society. What kind of deal your city negotiates is a separate matter, but competition for NFL franchises is stiff. Nobody ever said it was cheap. I'd gladly pay my share of the tax increases listed above to get the Colts. Where I live, we have our own taxes which are very similar to the ones we're talking about, but for different things that are also part of the fabric of what we call home.

Looking at the bright side the city gets -

Annual events

• DCI World Championships
  • Bands of America Grand National Championships
  • Home games for the Indianapolis Colts
  • Circle City Classic
  • IHSAA Indiana State football championships
  • ISSMA band state finals

Notable Future events

• Big Ten Football Championship Game (2011)
  • Super Bowl XLVI (February 5, 2012)
  • NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four (April 2015)
  • NCAA Women's Basketball Final Four (2016)

The first games ever to be played at Lucas Oil Stadium occurred on August 22, 2008 and were part of the PeyBack Classic, featuring Indiana High School Football games played between Noblesville High School and Fishers High School in Game 1, followed by New Palestine High School and Whiteland Community High School in Game 2.

Lucas Oil Stadium and the city of Indianapolis made a bid to host Super Bowl XLVI in 2012. On May 20, 2008, the bid was successful, defeating Houston, Texas and Glendale, Arizona for that right.

The stadium is also host to the annual NFL Scouting Combine in February.

In addition to professional football games, the stadium hosted the semifinal and final rounds of the Men's Final Four in 2010. Historically, Indianapolis has been a popular choice for the Final Four. The NCAA has their headquarters there, and the event comes on a five-year rotation. The Big Ten Conference will also play the inaugural Big Ten Football Championship Game at Lucas Oil Stadium on December 3, 2011.

The Indiana Marching Band State Finals was a major events for the city in Marching Band competitions, and the Circle City Classic that is an annual American football game featuring two historically black colleges/universities (HBCUs) that is held in October.

On September 13, 2008, country music singer Kenny Chesney held the first public concert at the stadium.

• The Capital Improvement Board gets $250,000 in annual rent from the Colts.

• The Colts are required to play all home games in the new stadium until 2034.

• The Colts are forbidden from playing home games elsewhere or negotiating relocation.
  • Expansion of the Indiana Convention Center
  • Adds as many as 28 major conventions and trade shows
  • Creates 2,700 additional jobs
  • Produces as much as $165 million in new sales and economic activity per year
  • New Multi-Purpose Stadium
  • 40 year deal with the NCAA allowing for the hosting of the Men's and Women's Final Four, regional games, and 1st and 2nd round games
  • Major collegiate athletic events such as the Circle City Classic and IHSAA state football championship games
  • Makes Indianapolis eligible to bid for the chance to host a Super Bowl (potential economic impact of $286,000,000)
  • Like the existing RCA Dome, the Indiana Stadium will be an integral part of the Indiana Convention Center
  • Nearly 10,000 jobs created from both projects
  • 4,200 permanent jobs
  • 4,900 construction jobs
  • Estimated $2,250,000,000 added to the state and regional economy during the first 10 years both facilities are up and running
  • Keeps Indianapolis as one of the top convention and tradeshow destinations in America

I disagree.. completely. Mannig's stance via Krav.... confrimed my worst fears...

This Organization has crumbled. Irsay is a "kid with a new computer" .. and he acts like one.

Jim Irsay needs to act like the leader of the 11th most valuable team in the NFL... instead of acting like a HS kid quoting his fav lyrics to his peeeps.. .

Ughhh.. I am getting really worried about the state of this team.

All of the old folks/ways that a huge portion of people on this board endlessly "homer for" are gone. It's time to move forward or move on down the line. Jim Irsay's responsibility and commitment goes far beyond the playing time of any single player, even Peyton Manning.

Regardless of how much any of us have enjoyed Manning over the years, probability is high he won't be playing in a Colt uniform in 2012. Everyone ought to understand the obvious situation by now. If he's able to play without risk of even worse injury, it would be great to see him back at a cost that won't hinder the team. If he ends up playing elsewhere then sincere best wishes to him. I'll be pulling for him as long as it's not vs. the Colts. Yes, Manning put Indy on the map and I'm sure the entire state as well as fans everywhere are grateful. I know I am. He can't play forever though.....and things don't always happen in the way we might prefer. He's a Colt for life, just like EJ, even if he does finish his playing career elsewhere. If he can't take the field again, he could still work for the team in another capacity, and that would be great if he chooses to do so.

Things change. The organization will be fine. So far under Jim Irsay we've had the Harbaugh led teams and the Manning era. Not bad. Personally, I like the directional change and think there'll be a lot to look forward to....hopefully improvement even as far as long-term sustain is concerned.

+1 :thmup:

He had an addiction to perscrption pain pills and came out and was very public about it and went to rehab for it.

Thank you.

To be honest, I did not know anything about it (but I came to football only in 2005 and Irsay's problems are probably <2005). Sometimes, when I saw him in interviews I wondered if he might have ever had a problem with alcohol (because of his red cheeks in his face every now and then haha ).

Here in Germany it's all about soccer but we have no kind of owners. The whole system is established in a completely different way. But if we had an owner system and if my favourite soccer team were to have an owner I would love to have an owner like Jim Irsay (even if he will let go Manning - what he won't, of course :-) ).

All of the old folks/ways that a huge portion of people on this board endlessly "homer for" are gone. It's time to move forward or move on down the line. Jim Irsay's responsibility and commitment goes far beyond the playing time of any single player, even Peyton Manning.

Regardless of how much any of us have enjoyed Manning over the years, probability is high he won't be playing in a Colt uniform in 2012. Everyone ought to understand the obvious situation by now. If he's able to play without risk of even worse injury, it would be great to see him back at a cost that won't hinder the team. If he ends up playing elsewhere then sincere best wishes to him. I'll be pulling for him as long as it's not vs. the Colts. Yes, Manning put Indy on the map and I'm sure the entire state as well as fans everywhere are grateful. I know I am. He can't play forever though.....and things don't always happen in the way we might prefer. He's a Colt for life, just like EJ, even if he does finish his playing career elsewhere. If he can't take the field again, he could still work for the team in another capacity, and that would be great if he chooses to do so.

Things change. The organization will be fine. So far under Jim Irsay we've had the Harbaugh led teams and the Manning era. Not bad. Personally, I like the directional change and think there'll be a lot to look forward to....hopefully improvement even as far as long-term sustain is concerned.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees... Jim Irsay is easily one of the best owners in pro sports, period. Certainly in the NFL.

haters gonna hate.

when the irsay's moved to indianapolis, they stopped burning bridges & started building them. the young jimmy witnessed that, and it made him the fine man he is today

I hate the fact the taxpayers are forced to give a billionaire like Irsay a stadium for use (free of charge) or else he leaves us hanging. The Irsays have packed up and moved before and they'll do it again when they can't squeeze any more out of the residents of Indianapolis and its surroundings.

I hate the fact the taxpayers are forced to give a billionaire like Irsay a stadium for use (free of charge) or else he leaves us hanging. The Irsays have packed up and moved before and they'll do it again when they can't squeeze any more out of the residents of Indianapolis and its surroundings.

certainly football is a crazy business. it's the same way in every other city fortunate enough to have a franchise

but i don't believe the last part. everything jimmy has ever said contradicts it. indy has an adoring relationship with the colts & irsay wants to build on that. baltimore fans just complained endlessly & thought they should run the team. the fans in indy are like fuzzy little kittens compared to them.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees... Jim Irsay is easily one of the best owners in pro sports, period. Certainly in the NFL.

Agree.

Incorrect. Read the figures above. The Colts franchise is of huge benefit to the entire region. To lose the club after 2034 would have huge negative impact. Just ask Baltimore or Cleveland what losing a team does to your local economy. Look......it's not cheap getting into the NFL franchise city game, but once you do it's a money maker over the long haul, anyone should be able to see that. Indianapolis out-did plenty of other cities that were in the running at the time and earned the right to be the Colts' home.