Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Kelly Listed as Wild Card Among Early OROY Candidates

WarGhost21

Here's the Story:

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000686270/ezekiel-elliott-laquon-treadwell-lead-nfl-oroy-candidates

First off, he clearly states that an offensive lineman has never won the award and doubts it will happen this year. It's still exciting to see Kelly up there, though.

For fun, comment which player you think will win the OROY award this year!

I read this earlier today. I posted something on a Vikings site about it. Gil Brandt believes Treadwell has the second best chance of winning Offensive ROY. Fellow Vikings fans and I all believe Treadwell has no shot. Teddy spreads the ball around and our offense is one of the few that still emphasizes the running game. 

Zeke has the best chance to win ROY because of the Cowboys elite O-Line. But I will take Sterling Shepard.  He looks great in camp, according to beat reporters and Giants fans. Also, Victor Cruz is expected to take a step back, if he plays at all. 

Ezekiel Elliot-Cowboys-RB-1A

Micheal Thomas-Saints-WR-1B

Sterling Shepard-Giants-WR-1C

Tyler Boyd-Bengals-WR-1D

Besides the fact that Kelly is an O Lineman he wasn't very good game 1 opening up holes for the run but was alright pass blocking

9 hours ago, Gavin said:

Ezekel Elliot-Cowboys-RB-1A

Tyler Boyd-Bengals-WR-1D

Besides the fact that Kelly is an O Lineman he wasn't very good game 1 opening up holes for the run but was alright pass blocking

Never gonna happen.  I just hope he is above average

9 hours ago, Gavin said:

Ezekiel Elliot-Cowboys-RB-1A

Tyler Boyd-Bengals-WR-1D

If the Saints are able to get Thomas on the field and enough targets, he's got a real shot at doing some damage this year. Especially if Coby's still having issues with the dropsies. 

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Never gonna happen.  I just hope he is above average

I think he will be an average player at best until he gains more girth and learns to use angles better to open up running lanes. I also still say he will have his problems in pass protection do to lack of mobility. I think once he is beat he is beat. Holmes actually has a higher upside than Kelly from an athletic standpoint. Holmes just couldn't stay on the field so he couldn't grow into the position. Kelly simply doesn't move his feet well enough or have enough mass on his frame or pop in his hands to knock or drive D Linemen consistently off the ball. He is going to have to wrestle them down more often then not and I don't seem that happening

An offensive lineman isn't going to win offensive rookie of the year.  

While good football fans and most media people understand the importance of good line play, anytime you have an award that can be given to a player in any position on the field, offensive linemen don't get noticed for the award no matter how dominate they are.  

It sucks, but the awards look heavily at the stats and offensive linemen for the most part don't record stats.  

On 8/18/2016 at 7:53 PM, Gavin said:

I think he will be an average player at best until he gains more girth and learns to use angles better to open up running lanes. I also still say he will have his problems in pass protection do to lack of mobility. I think once he is beat he is beat. Holmes actually has a higher upside than Kelly from an athletic standpoint. Holmes just couldn't stay on the field so he couldn't grow into the position. Kelly simply doesn't move his feet well enough or have enough mass on his frame or pop in his hands to knock or drive D Linemen consistently off the ball. He is going to have to wrestle them down more often then not and I don't seem that happening

Oh for goodness sake.....  Kelly is 313.....    that makes him at least an average sized center if not above average.      He doesn't have to gain a single pound.

I don't know where you get this "not enough mass on the frame" stuff?!?     It's mind boggling.

Kelly was listed at 285 at the start of his senior year.     Roughly 295 by the end.     He's gained another 15-20 pounds since the calendar became 2016.      At 6-4, 313,  Kelly is just fine.

The player you describe should NEVER have been drafted in the first round.    Or, the 2nd round for that matter.      Basically,  what you said in your post is that you think Kelly is going to be a bust.  

You might want to consider that perhaps your evaluation of Kelly is simply..............      wrong.

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:
37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh for goodness sake.....  Kelly is 313.....    that makes him at least an average sized center if not above average.      He doesn't have to gain a single pound.

I don't know where you get this "not enough mass on the frame" stuff?!?     It's mind boggling.

Kelly was listed at 285 at the start of his senior year.     Roughly 295 by the end.     He's gained another 15-20 pounds since the calendar became 2016.      At 6-4, 313,  Kelly is just fine.

The player you describe should NEVER have been drafted in the first round.    Or, the 2nd round for that matter.      Basically,  what you said in your post is that you think Kelly is going to be a bust.  

You might want to consider that perhaps your evaluation of Kelly is simply..............      wrong.

The player you describe should NEVER have been drafted in the first round.    Or, the 2nd round for that matter.

No I'm pretty sure your wrong http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ryan-kelly?id=2555191

http://www.colts.com/team/roster.html

2lbs.......I got the more mass on his frame from the NFL.com draft profile which lists him at 311lbs at time of combine and I met him in person at TC by the way. Its true he needs to fill out a little bit with more muscle. Not all 311lbs is created equal. I don't think some of it is a good 313lbs which Colts.com lists him as

On August 18, 2016 at 10:53 PM, Gavin said:

Dear God...

Just now, jskinnz said:

Dear God...

As amusing as your Dear God mantra is(and funny at times) an intelligent and well thought out response to what I said is ultimately more meaningful. I also did not post anything that hasn't been said in scouting reports or has been listed on his Colts.com profile...his current weight. Which would naturally fluctuate anyway like everyone else weight but that's neither here nor there. I never insinuated Kelly was a finished product or was bad or anything that should be considered outrageous. Just that we are seeing why he was a borderline 1st/2nd round draft pick

Just now, Gavin said:

As amusing as your Dear God mantra is(and funny at times) an intelligent and well thought out response to what I said is ultimately more meaningful. I also did not post anything that hasn't been said in scouting reports or has been listed on his Colts.com profile...his current weight. Which would naturally fluctuate anyway like everyone else weight but that's neither here nor there. I never insinuated Kelly was a finished product or was bad or anything that should be considered outrageous. Just that we are seeing why he was a borderline 1st/2nd round draft pick

Dear God says it all.

But to humor you - here are the things I find either funny or simply wrong about your posts.

1) The very notion that a 310+ plus pound player needs more girth is funny.

2) The idea that YOU think this is the case is funnier

3) Everyone with at least a marginal level of football IQ believes he is a difference making player - as much as they can know that with the limited sample that we have seen to date.  Find Venturi's comments about for one

4) Find Venturi's comments on Kelly after the Buffalo game.  He was the one that stood out among the 1's to him

5) Lastly, this "smarter-than-the-room" role you play on here would be helpful if in fact it was occasionally true. For instance, knowing the PUP rules.

28 minutes ago, Gavin said:

No I'm pretty sure your wrong http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ryan-kelly?id=2555191

http://www.colts.com/team/roster.html

2lbs.......I got the more mass on his frame from the NFL.com draft profile which lists him at 311lbs at time of combine and I met him in person at TC by the way. Its true he needs to fill out a little bit with more muscle. Not all 311lbs is created equal. I don't think some of it is a good 313lbs which Colts.com lists him as

Dear God!     What am I wrong about?

311 at the combine and 313 now with the Colts?       What am I wrong about?

And why isn't 313 enough weight?     That's easily NFL average and probably above average.

UPDATED NOTE:   OK,  I see the point you're trying to make,  it's in the combine write-up which you failed to make note of.     Here's the problem.    Those are written up long before the combine.      They're written up in January.     And they're not changed to reflect weight gain.     So,  it was written up when Kelly was 295 or so....   and not changed to reflect that he was weighed at 311 at the combine.

In other words,   the profile was somewhat outdated.   At least, in that aspect.

I'm sorry you didn't know this.     You could've saved everyone here a lot of grief if you had cited that earlier.     That info was outdated.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And why isn't 313 enough weight?     That's easily NFL average and probably above average.

Those are points I made in my first post and points that you ignored to tell me he was 311 at the combine.

And I noted that he gained 15-20 pounds AFTER his college career was over.     

Sometimes I wonder if you're aware of what you write and what that means.........      Mind Boggling!

313lbs is plenty big enough of course. I simply should have been more clear in my original comment about girth. Its more about the right kind of weight than the actual number.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

UPDATED NOTE:   OK,  I see the point you're trying to make,  it's in the combine write-up which you failed to make note of.     Here's the problem.    Those are written up long before the combine.      They're written up in January.     And they're not changed to reflect weight gain.     So,  it was written up when Kelly was 295 or so....   and not changed to reflect that he was weighed at 311 at the combine.

In other words,   the profile was somewhat outdated.   At least, in that aspect.

I'm sorry you didn't know this.     You could've saved everyone here a lot of grief if you had cited that earlier.     That info was outdated.

Kelly's weight was actually changed to show he weighed 311 at the combine. I also understand that parts of the profiles are not changed. Such as strengths and weaknesses. I'm not sure if your seeing what I am seeing or getting what I'm getting at this point but the profile I am reading has him listed at 311 at the combine

UPDATED: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ryan-kelly?id=2555191

4 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Kelly's weight was actually changed to show he weighed 311 at the combine. I also understand that parts of the profiles are not changed. Such as strengths and weaknesses. I'm not sure if your seeing what I am seeing or getting what I'm getting at this point but the profile I am reading has him listed at 311 at the combine

UPDATED: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ryan-kelly?id=2555191

The point is his weight was changed to 311.      But the comment about needing to add more girth was NOT CHANGED.      So,  it gives the false impression that 311 is not enough weight.    And that's not the case.

The positives and negatives are written well in advance.    And the comment about needing to add more girth was outdated by the time Kelly weighed in the combine.      So,  he does NOT need to gain more girth.

As for the concept of good weight vs. bad weight?      How would you know?     I appreciate that you met him,  but there is plenty of tape on Kelly and he never looks fat or out of shape.     Will he have a better body next year?     Yes,  absolutely.     But that's true of all rookies.     By next year,  the 2nd year player has a full year of NFL weight training under his belt and the body gets transformed.      But this isn't a Kelly thing,  it's true of all rookies.

I'm sorry,  I don't mean to be giving you a hard time.    I know this info is important to you.   It's nearly 3am in So. Cal and instead of sleeping,  I'm awake writing long posts to you!     That's the mark of a friend!

I think it is far more likely he could make the Pro Bowl, especially as an alternate, if he's healthy and has had a great season.  That's the most a lineman can hope for, especially as a rookie.  Linemen just don't get love in that sort of thing no matter how good they are.  .  

I wonder if a rookie O-Lineman has been 1st team All Pro?  Anyone know?