Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's talk UDFA: Michael Miller

twfish

Let's talk about another extremely exciting position, tight ends. Taylor university standout Michael Miller at 6-6 249 and a 4.78 40. Not blazing fast but this kid has got hands. Used primarily as a WR it's easy to see why he was a match up nightmare on the outside. What he lacks in speed he makes up for in size, strength, hands, blocking, and how he uses his body. He does an excellent job at high pointing the ball and reaching out for it. He plays very physical and doesn't shy away from contact. He has no fear as a blocker and will flat level a CB. A big negative is the competition he has faced, the nfl will be a completely diffrent animal for him. I don't feel like switching to TE will be an overly difficult task for him however I feel like stashing him on the practice squad for a little while will benefit him greatly. I do beleive he could be a gem and there is definitely a reason the coaches are excited about him and it's very evident in his film. 

https://youtu.be/K2-h_sm5Vb0

15 minutes ago, twfish said:

Let's talk about another extremely exciting position, tight ends. Taylor university standout Michael Miller at 6-6 249 and a 4.78 40. Not blazing fast but this kid has got hands. Used primarily as a WR it's easy to see why he was a match up nightmare on the outside. What he lacks in speed he makes up for in size, strength, hands, blocking, and how he uses his body. He does an excellent job at high pointing the ball and reaching out for it. He plays very physical and doesn't shy away from contact. He has no fear as a blocker and will flat level a CB. A big negative is the competition he has faced, the nfl will be a completely diffrent animal for him. I don't feel like switching to TE will be an overly difficult task for him however I feel like stashing him on the practice squad for a little while will benefit him greatly. I do beleive he could be a gem and there is definitely a reason the coaches are excited about him and it's very evident in his film. 

It will be interesting to see how this group playes out between Miller, Swoope, Griswold and Doyel. Definitely some real intriguing potential there. I know I'm kinda anxious to see where Swoope is at in his development. I know he was making some great grabs during the mandatory 3 day. Gonna be exciting!!!

1 hour ago, twfish said:

Twfish: Thanks a ton for doing these threads on the UDFA players. Great to read a bit about them all, because I'm clueless about them! :thmup: 

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he makes the team. Griswold and Swoope aren't exactly proven commodities.  It's really hard to assess Miller based on the competition he's faced but it looks like he has the hands.

All that being said, I won't be surprised if they bring in a veteran TE before camp.  

I like all these extra big body guys we've brought in like Tyms, Tevaun Smith, Mckale Mckay, and all these big body tight ends to go along with the 3 starting WR and Allen/Doyle. This offense is going to present many match up problems when its all said and done. Miller is a match up nightmare to me right now on the NFL level as far as Red Zone offense is concerned. I'm confident he'd be good at that right away. Pagano has already alluded to him making multiple plays in red zone and goal line sessions. Love his hands and body use. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but his athleticism is very similar to Julius Thomas to me.

I'm a big fan of both of the young TE's. It wouldn't surprise me if they make Swoope expendable. I don't see any of the 3 being a serious threat to Doyle not this year. I think Doyle turns some heads this year. He's better receiver than he has had the opportunity to show. That should change

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I like all these extra big body guys we've brought in like Tyms, Tevaun Smith, Mckale Mckay, and all these big body tight ends to go along with the 3 starting WR and Allen/Doyle. This offense is going to present many match up problems when its all said and done. Miller is a match up nightmare to me right now on the NFL level as far as Red Zone offense is concerned. I'm confident he'd be good at that right away. Pagano has already alluded to him making multiple plays in red zone and goal line sessions. Love his hands and body use. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but his athleticism is very similar to Julius Thomas to me.

I see the same thing in Miller. I know rookie anything has a lot to learn but I think this guy has all the tools. He has the potential to surprise a lot of skeptics IMO.

I am very high on both Miller and Griswold and it sounds as though Swoope is making serious progress.

I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but I think we'll see big things out of whoever we decide to/are able to keep at the TE position.

Miller seems like a very mature young man, and part of what really intrigues me about him is that he's showing to have very good hands and good blocking ability, even though he played QB until his sophomore year.  To me, this means he is a very good athlete and should mean he's got a high football IQ (to play QB at any college level, you have to have a pretty solid football IQ).  I imagine that can only help as he continues to develop.

I've said in other threads, I won't be shocked if we keep only 4 WRs because of our TE group.  I know we've held on to 6 the past couple of years, but between Swoope, Miller, and Griswold we have 3 big, athletic guys who we may be able to get more production out of than a 5th or 6th WR.

I won't be shocked if our 53 has 4 WR and 4 or 5 TE (we have been keeping 6 WR and 3 or 4 TE -- so it's not like the total number will change, we'd still be keeping around 9 between the positions).

Although Miller doesn't have blazing speed according to his 40 time, that is still pretty good speed for a TE that big and from the tape you can see he was able to run with CBs (albeit at the NAIA level).  I expect him to at least make the practice squad, if not the final 53.  What worries me a little (prematurely, as we haven't even seen a preseason game yet) -- is a situation where Griswold/Swoope/Miller all perform very well in training camp and preseason, but whoever we designate to the PS gets swooped up by another team.

2 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I am very high on both Miller and Griswold and it sounds as though Swoope is making serious progress.

I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but I think we'll see big things out of whoever we decide to/are able to keep at the TE position.

Miller seems like a very mature young man, and part of what really intrigues me about him is that he's showing to have very good hands and good blocking ability, even though he played QB until his sophomore year.  To me, this means he is a very good athlete and should mean he's got a high football IQ (to play QB at any college level, you have to have a pretty solid football IQ).  I imagine that can only help as he continues to develop.

I've said in other threads, I won't be shocked if we keep only 4 WRs because of our TE group.  I know we've held on to 6 the past couple of years, but between Swoope, Miller, and Griswold we have 3 big, athletic guys who we may be able to get more production out of than a 5th or 6th WR.

I won't be shocked if our 53 has 4 WR and 4 or 5 TE (we have been keeping 6 WR and 3 or 4 TE -- so it's not like the total number will change, we'd still be keeping around 9 between the positions).

Although Miller doesn't have blazing speed according to his 40 time, that is still pretty good speed for a TE that big and from the tape you can see he was able to run with CBs (albeit at the NAIA level).  I expect him to at least make the practice squad, if not the final 53.  What worries me a little (prematurely, as we haven't even seen a preseason game yet) -- is a situation where Griswold/Swoope/Miller all perform very well in training camp and preseason, but whoever we designate to the PS gets swooped up by another team.

I don't think there is any scenario that has us keeping 5TE's. I like the potential of Miller and Griswold   too. It will be interesting to see if Swoope has improved. I think we have 3 guys competing for one roster spot. 

Maybe we keep 4 but my money is on 3. I think the OL will be a huge factor on the make up of the 53 man. I think we keep 4RB and at least 5 WR. WR is a position group I think we have some young talent too.

They guys at the bottom of the depth chart have to help out on ST's. That alone will prevent us from keeping 5 TE's.

8 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I'm excited to see these guys too, but I'm not expecting much.  I still think we'll pick up a veteran TE by camp.  

I wouldnt be be concerned about a team snatching any of them from our PS.  If they're not good enough to make our roster (and TE may be our least deep position) then I doubt any other team is going to put a project player on their active roster. 

Cant wait for camp!

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm excited to see these guys too, but I'm not expecting much.  I still think we'll pick up a veteran TE by camp.  

I wouldnt be be concerned about a team snatching any of them from our PS.  If they're not good enough to make our roster (and TE may be our least deep position) then I doubt any other team is going to put a project player on their active roster. 

Cant wait for camp!

You could be right about a veteran but I have a feeling that Miller is going to make the roster. I am no expert for sure but after watching the tape and reading about his history I just think there is more to him than just another rookie. He could end up being listed as a WR also as he was in college.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

You could be right about a veteran but I have a feeling that Miller is going to make the roster. I am no expert for sure but after watching the tape and reading about his history I just think there is more to him than just another rookie. He could end up being listed as a WR also as he was in college.

Now that's a bold prediction.  They don't call you Crazy Colt for nothing!

Seriously though, I like the size and athleticism of all of our potential TEs.  It's the 'untested against major competition ' part that we'll just have to wait and see.   

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Now that's a bold prediction.  They don't call you Crazy Colt for nothing!

Seriously though, I like the size and athleticism of all of our potential TEs.  It's the 'untested against major competition ' part that we'll just have to wait and see.   

He is listed as wide receiver in college so why would it be a bold prediction? There are already receivers in the league that can be technically listed as either. Fleener was always listed as a TE but he is more of a wide receiver than TE IMO. Marques Colston was listed as both when he entered the league.

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He is listed as wide receiver in college so why would it be a bold prediction? There are already receivers in the league that can be technically listed as either. Fleener was always listed as a TE but he is more of a wide receiver than TE IMO. Marques Colston was listed as both when he entered the league.

I'm with you, I hope he makes the roster, and I hope he can take over Fleeners' role.  Brees is already raving about Fleener.

Miller looks like a red-zone threat on film, so hopefully he makes the team either way.  Can't have too many pass-rushers or pass-catchers.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Cant wait for camp!

I disagree with brining in a vet. We have alot of young talent at the position. With Allen and Doyle already being there I don't beleive there's a need for another vet. Plus I thinking grooming swoope the past 2 years will pay off and I don't think they would want to put that aside or cast away miller or Griswold for a vet to be #2-3 on the depth chart.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Cant wait for camp!

What twfish said (below) -- I think we've got the veteran presence with Allen and Doyle.  Doyle was highly unproven/untested when he made the roster with just Allen and Fleener (both very young players).  For that reason, I don't imagine Grigson is going to go get a vet unless (1) injury to Allen and/or Doyle, (2) Swoope, Miller and Griswold all are big disappointments.

11 minutes ago, twfish said:

I disagree with brining in a vet. We have alot of young talent at the position. With Allen and Doyle already being there I don't beleive there's a need for another vet. Plus I thinking grooming swoope the past 2 years will pay off and I don't think they would want to put that aside or cast away miller or Griswold for a vet to be #2-3 on the depth chart.

11 hours ago, akcolt said:

I don't think there is any scenario that has us keeping 5TE's. I like the potential of Miller and Griswold   too. It will be interesting to see if Swoope has improved. I think we have 3 guys competing for one roster spot. 

Maybe we keep 4 but my money is on 3. I think the OL will be a huge factor on the make up of the 53 man. I think we keep 4RB and at least 5 WR. WR is a position group I think we have some young talent too.

They guys at the bottom of the depth chart have to help out on ST's. That alone will prevent us from keeping 5 TE's.

What crazycolt1 says below -- Miller and Swoope both have athleticism and size to be hybrid TE/WRs (much like cc's Colston example).  They both seem athletic enough to me to the point where they should be able to contribute on special teams.

You are right, I think we've got some young talent at WR, too (though, I personally think Miller, Swoope and Griswold have more upside at becoming solid offensive contributors at the NFL level in the not-so-distant future, whereas I don't see any of the young UDFAs at WR ever making it above TY, Dorsett and Moncrief on the depth chart).

I am doubting we keep 5 TEs, but if Swoope and Miller show that they can contribute as WRs (especially in the redzone), I don't think it'd be too far-fetched to see us sacrifice a WR to keep them on as TE/WR players.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Mr Clueless said:

Twfish: Thanks a ton for doing these threads on the UDFA players. Great to read a bit about them all, because I'm clueless about them! :thmup: 

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I agree. I enjoy these threads too. 

I appreciate it! I love getting to know new players especially this crop, there use to be some other members who would do write ups much better than I do. Hopefully come next year I'll be much better at doing them

4 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

What twfish said (below) -- I think we've got the veteran presence with Allen and Doyle.  Doyle was highly unproven/untested when he made the roster with just Allen and Fleener (both very young players).  For that reason, I don't imagine Grigson is going to go get a vet unless (1) injury to Allen and/or Doyle, (2) Swoope, Miller and Griswold all are big disappointments.

What crazycolt1 says below -- Miller and Swoope both have athleticism and size to be hybrid TE/WRs (much like cc's Colston example).  They both seem athletic enough to me to the point where they should be able to contribute on special teams.

You are right, I think we've got some young talent at WR, too (though, I personally think Miller, Swoope and Griswold have more upside at becoming solid offensive contributors at the NFL level in the not-so-distant future, whereas I don't see any of the young UDFAs at WR ever making it above TY, Dorsett and Moncrief on the depth chart).

I am doubting we keep 5 TEs, but if Swoope and Miller show that they can contribute as WRs (especially in the redzone), I don't think it'd be too far-fetched to see us sacrifice a WR to keep them on as TE/WR players.

I love the unbridled enthusiam about these guys, but I think we're going a little too far to expect them to be hybrid WRs.  I think Colston and Coby both ran about a 4.5.    

Swoope and Griswold run closer to a 4.8, I think Miller was about the same.  Not bad times for big TEs, not real good for WRs unless they're really shifty.  

Griswold probably is the lead guy if you consider experience playing the position and against decent competion.  But presumably Swoope has been practicing with the team for two years.

I'd think the Colts would value the best blocker and ST player highest since they'll get very few balls thrown their way.  Going to be a fun position to watch. 

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 0:57 PM, twfish said:

Haven't seen you do anybody on defense yet. I'm pretty interested in Stefan Mclure the safety from Cal. That kid can play if he gets past the durability concerns. He's in the same boat as Maggitt to me. If he's not hurt by the end of preseason I could see him making the team for at least a special teams role if not more.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Haven't seen you do anybody on defense yet. I'm pretty interested in Stefan Mclure the safety from Cal. That kid can play if he gets past the durability concerns. He's in the same boat as Maggitt to me. If he's not hurt by the end of preseason I could see him making the team for at least a special teams role if not more.

Been working through offense first, there are a couple defensive players outside of Maggitt that I have my eye on also. I plan on having a little write up on all the udfa before training camp starts

On 6/18/2016 at 3:26 PM, Smonroe said:

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he makes the team. Griswold and Swoope aren't exactly proven commodities.  It's really hard to assess Miller based on the competition he's faced but it looks like he has the hands.

All that being said, I won't be surprised if they bring in a veteran TE before camp.  

This!  I hope they find a vet as well.....