Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which Rookie will have the greatest impact for the 2016 season?

TYtheGHOST

Which Rookie will have the greatest impact this season?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which Rookie will have the greatest impact for the 2016 season?

• Ryan Kelly
    • A Different Rookie

This is a pretty tough question, IMO.

The reason for that, is because contributions can be counted in so many different ways.

I fully expect Kelly to be our starting C and to do a good job there -- but, if he is doing his job and doing it well, we should hear very little about him (meaning he isn't botching snaps, he isn't allowing Luck to get crushed, etc... he is just grinding away, getting it done and he doesn't have a stat line, such the life of an OL).

So, if the question is -- who will be our most consistent/valuable rookie -- I would have to vote for Kelly.

However, many people look to the stat line to judge players, and here (IMO) is where thing could get tricky.  I expect Green to be a beast on special teams and to see some time on the D in nickel/dime packages and hopefully in some blitz packages during those situations.  He is a guy that may not play as much, nor as consistently as Kelly, but who I could see having a game changing play (or a few of them) and that should still be valued as a significant contribution. 

I could also see some of the LB/DE types we drafted or signed as UDFAs (Bates, Maggit, Thompson) having 5-10 sacks, though again they may not get the playing time or be as valuable overall, but say one of their sacks comes on a 3rd down against a division opponent in the 4th quarter when we're up a field goal to seal a game for us -- I'd say that would be a pretty darned important contribution and one which many will remember much more than anything Kelly does for us.

Then there are the other OL (I think Blythe, Clark, and Haeg all have legitimate shots at winning the RG position, with Clark even a possibility for the RT position).  If one of them wins a starting spot to start the season or early in the season and plays well (an improvement from last year), it will be hard to distinguish between their contribution and Kelly's (unless one of the 2 or 3 of the rookie OL starters has some crazy all-pro year and leads the league in pancake blocks and dominates, which is doubtful).

2 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

It will be kelly.  But the biggest riser on the team will be Dorsett.   I don't think we realize what kind of talent this kid is   

I agree wholeheartedly about Dorsett. I cannot wait to see him get utilized to his fullest potential to see what he really brings to the table. We saw flashes of it last year before and after his injury, he just needs to put it all together this season and ball out.

Kelly and it's not even close.

I wouldn't even put it as Kelly versus any other rookie; I would put it as Kelly versus all other rookies combined.  Barring injury, he's the only rookie set to start; and he's the only rookie from our top three rounds who isn't a significant project.  Ridgeway will probably be number two with the scat-back CFA (I forgot his name) coming in at number three.

It has to be Kelly. The success of the team hinges on it. Adding a steady player at center makes the entire line better. Even an average talent at center is immensely helpful if they can stay healthy. Kelly should be a game changer.