Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

im not sure if I want to support football anymore...

bap1331

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

You were 14 you knew what you doing.

nope you're wrong.

i never once thought about sharks or jelly fish in the water, i was a kid from Indiana that had never been to the ocean

33 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

nope you're wrong.

i never once thought about sharks or jelly fish in the water, i was a kid from Indiana that had never been to the ocean

Well what did you think was in the water? Cows and monkeys? I'm not calling you dumb, but even dumb people can't play this dumb by saying something like they didn't know sharks could bite you in the ocean, that football couldn't cause concussions, that coffee in McDonald's was hot etc. Not in the last 30 years anyway. You're just sticking to your guns in this thread but even you know better.

59 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Well what did you think was in the water? Cows and monkeys? I'm not calling you dumb, but even dumb people can't play this dumb by saying something like they didn't know sharks could bite you in the ocean, that football couldn't cause concussions, that coffee in McDonald's was hot etc. Not in the last 30 years anyway. You're just sticking to your guns in this thread but even you know better.

gonna let this one die, think whatever you want

2 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Well what did you think was in the water? Cows and monkeys? 

I've never been to the sewer but I think I know what's down there. Maybe I should watch a movie about it to be sure though.

lmao 

You are cracking me up in this thread btw......

3 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

You are not calling someone dumb and then turn around and do it. You sure have a way of insulting forum members.

I didn't call anybody dumb and I didn't insult anybody. That's just where you keep trying to take this.

I am not taking it anywhere. You already did but it is what it is. If you are not intending to insult anyone you have a strange way of expressing yourself.

It might seem that way if you don't understand what I'm saying, or comprehend what I'm saying, or catch what I'm saying (more of your own pet peeves not mine, and I didn't include any sarcasm so it would sound like a robot talking just for you). 

It might seem that way if you don't understand what I'm saying, or comprehend what I'm saying, or catch what I'm saying (more of your own pet peeves not mine, and I didn't include any sarcasm so it would sound like a robot talking just for you). 

There is nothing wrong with my understanding or comprehension. Oh, by the way IMO the robot comment is nonsense. That is exactly why I said it was amusing. Where you even come up with robot nonsense I haven't a clue.

• 1 month later...
On 06/01/2016 at 7:06 AM, Happy2BeHere said:

I'll admit that after seeing that movie it really makes me question how I can support the nfl given their lack of cooperation and their lack of resources they put into the research to protect players or at the very least send them through a full on course with the risks involved. Sure a player you would assume knows the risks but I also acknowledge this problem starts way before they reach the NFL. 

I think it's more a problem of public concern and awareness at an age that's appropriate before they enter football. Again this isnt all on the NFL but without a doubt they have the ability to raise the awareness and fund research more  then any other organization. 

That is the problem.  The nfl doesnt want the players nor fans to know. Because losing fans and losing players means losing business.

The sickening part is that the nfl lists themselves as a nonprofit organization. So wouldnt you care about the health of your players? They think that sending these players to do community things makes it all up.

Am i the only one who thinks this concussion movie had to do alot with these sudden retitrements of that niners linebacker,  cj and mershawn maybe?

On 6/3/2016 at 0:55 AM, bap1331 said:

Well they're not constantly getting hit in the head and they have safety precautions to make sure they don't get hurt. Football players have no choice.

Actually they do have a choice turn down the big bucks finish your education & get a job just like everyone else .

On Tuesday, July 05, 2016 at 5:39 AM, BloodyChamp said:

I get what you're saying.  You're right here.  Merely giving an example that real dumb people (not them) couldn't play this dumb without it just being prideful and intentional, not actually being dumb.  Sometimes ignorance of grammar structure and the concept of examples and comparisons are beyond people. 

4 hours ago, bap1331 said:

That is the problem.  The nfl doesnt want the players nor fans to know. Because losing fans and losing players means losing business.

The sickening part is that the nfl lists themselves as a nonprofit organization. So wouldnt you care about the health of your players? They think that sending these players to do community things makes it all up.

Am i the only one who thinks this concussion movie had to do alot with these sudden retitrements of that niners linebacker,  cj and mershawn maybe?

It's not like its something they can hide.  It's common sense.

The nfl is non profit.  The money goes to the teams. Not the nfl organization.  The only money that goes to the "NFL" is to pay the employees.  Just like nearly all other non profits.   Plus the nfl is not the one purchasing expansion teams when they expanded.  Basically new owners joined the collective.  If the nfl was for profit,  the nfl would be purchasing new teams. 

NFL players take their chances...for pay...

The question is college and high school boys and numbers are down.

But even watching boys collide violently close-up from the sidelines for many years, I still like football

That's not a consistent position. I know

On 5/31/2016 at 11:40 PM, bap1331 said:

After watching the movie concussion, it makes it hard to support football. We've seen a rise of young players going into retirement and I think this may be the sole reason they are retiring early but not saying it.

Is cte or brain damage risk really worth your health not only for themselves but for their family? It's not something happening only in football but boxing, wrestling, and soon to be ufc (it's a relatively new sport not around long enough to see the effects)

The NFL will do anything to say it isn't a serious problem but that mostly has to do with putting money into their pockets.

What were your thoughts after watching the movie concussion? I thought it was a great movie to bring awareness and now I see why Goodell is doing everything in his power to make football a safer sport but there is so much you can do but you can't prevent repeated hits.

This is like saying cars are dangerous I'm gonna ride a bike thats an option but when was the last time you commuted to work on a bike life is full of hazards people make there own decisions if you don't want to support football don't , 

There is concussions in many sports & people get hurt & die in many sports .

Do you support the Indy 500 , Nascar , Basketball , Hockey , Baseball , Sky diving, Cliff diving the list goes on  ?  For those that want to play it safe try Billiards or Chess the world is made up of people with many different ways they enjoy life its an adrenaline rush to compete &

You can't child proof the world of sports people climb mountains they dive from bridges there are lots of things you or I would not do but I support those that do .

Its called Acceptable risk & that determination is made by the individual ,

We all could live in a bubble if we choose too even that would represent risks life if full of risks to pick out 1 sport & say I don't think I can support it like sticking your head in the sand & believing that there is no risk all around you thats life ..

59 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

This is like saying cars are dangerous I'm gonna ride a bike thats an option but when was the last time you commuted to work on a bike life is full of hazards people make there own decisions if you don't want to support football don't 

I'm not having sex because I could gggggggggggg nevermind lol

12 hours ago, bap1331 said:

I guarantee you in my humble opinion that without a doubt in my mind that several of the players who unexpectedly retired did so on the basis of their personal safety as a result of the awareness the movie has created.

its all such an unfortunate situation. The ironic thing to me is that above all else that stands out to me personally and the quote I remember by far from that movie is where they are talking about the power of the NFL and the guy says that a day that used to belong to God is now owned by the NFL...truthfully that in and of itself was more damming than the concussion storyline which is the whole basis of the movie. Yes..I am a religious fellow. Yes...I do believe in God and in the savior Jesus Christ. However it's still pretty amazing to really think about how that has changed over a few decades.

3 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

This is like saying cars are dangerous I'm gonna ride a bike thats an option but when was the last time you commuted to work on a bike life is full of hazards people make there own decisions if you don't want to support football don't , 

There is concussions in many sports & people get hurt & die in many sports .

Do you support the Indy 500 , Nascar , Basketball , Hockey , Baseball , Sky diving, Cliff diving the list goes on  ?  For those that want to play it safe try Billiards or Chess the world is made up of people with many different ways they enjoy life its an adrenaline rush to compete &

You can't child proof the world of sports people climb mountains they dive from bridges there are lots of things you or I would not do but I support those that do .

Its called Acceptable risk & that determination is made by the individual ,

We all could live in a bubble if we choose too even that would represent risks life if full of risks to pick out 1 sport & say I don't think I can support it like sticking your head in the sand & believing that there is no risk all around you thats life ..

I get what your saying I honestly do...but the point I think you may or may not get or perhaps not agree with is the fact that the NFL intentionally hid this significant risk. 

For example...we all know sky diving is a relatively safe thing to do for the most part but it is not without risk and we fully understand that...but if the company you chose to skydive with failed to disclose and maliciously hid....say that the chutes they use had a 15% chance of not deploying....do you think you'd think pretty heavy and hard about your choice to skydive ?

The NFL hands out drugs like its candy to these players so they can stay on the field...it's morally wrong and malicious. Such as hiding the concussion epidemic. There are known consequences for this and they fail to put the safety of the players before their pocket books....all I can tell you is I am a general contractor and if I did this in my business OSHA would be absolutely all over me and I could be facing severe lawsuits and prison time.

Again i think it just comes down to full disclosure and maximum prevention and doing everything possible to prevent it. Something the NFL has wholly failed to do.

...and billiards?? Come on haven't you taken a cue ball to the forehead or groin?? those pool cues can be dangerous and you could easily choke on the cube of chalk. haha

12 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I get what your saying I honestly do...but the point I think you may or may not get or perhaps not agree with is the fact that the NFL intentionally hid this significant risk. 

For example...we all know sky diving is a relatively safe thing to do for the most part but it is not without risk and we fully understand that...but if the company you chose to skydive with failed to disclose and maliciously hid....say that the chutes they use had a 15% chance of not deploying....do you think you'd think pretty heavy and hard about your choice to skydive ?

The NFL hands out drugs like its candy to these players so they can stay on the field...it's morally wrong and malicious. Such as hiding the concussion epidemic. There are known consequences for this and they fail to put the safety of the players before their pocket books....all I can tell you is I am a general contractor and if I did this in my business OSHA would be absolutely all over me and I could be facing severe lawsuits and prison time.

Again i think it just comes down to full disclosure and maximum prevention and doing everything possible to prevent it. Something the NFL has wholly failed to do.

...and billiards?? Come on haven't you taken a cue ball to the forehead or groin?? those pool cues can be dangerous and you could easily choke on the cube of chalk. haha

I get your point & yes OSHA is tough , I'm a Local # 4 Bricklayer from Indy the General's have there on site safety & safety orientation on day 1 before we can get our badges or stickers we have films we watch & a safety guy informs us of anything else we need to know at the Market Tower Project our mornings start with safety meeting & exercises before ever entering the site . 

The NFL has dropped the ball in the past IMO they have turned that around & IMO it was the Owners who were the ones that did'nt want to acknowledge the problem .

13 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Why do high schools and the ncaa get off easy in this argument?

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:24 AM, bap1331 said:

The concussion issue is much bigger than the NFL...

NFL players take a calculated risk...they're on their own or should be.

Its High school and Pee Wee players who are the real issue.

Nobody with CTE got it initially in the NFL....I don't think that's how it works

7 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I get your point & yes OSHA is tough , I'm a Local # 4 Bricklayer from Indy the General's have there on site safety & safety orientation on day 1 before we can get our badges or stickers we have films we watch & a safety guy informs us of anything else we need to know at the Market Tower Project our mornings start with safety meeting & exercises before ever entering the site . 

The NFL has dropped the ball in the past IMO they have turned that around & IMO it was the Owners who were the ones that did'nt want to acknowledge the problem .

Right on for being a bricklayer man that's a tough job and requires great skill (in my opinion). Don't think I could do it myself. I focus solely on interior construction and remodeling wholly and customers ask us to do rock or brick mosaic fireplaces all the time and I hire it out cause it's not my expertise for sure. But yes on OSHA and the site safety issues and videos...I'm in Utah and we have done a lot of government work for Hill Air Force Base as well as major defense contractors such as ATK Thiakol and man the safety stuff is sometimes grueling and let me tell you they stick to that material like mad and you better follow suit or you are off the job after a single warning. Serious loss of revenue for us if we fail to do so.

7 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Why do high schools and the ncaa get off easy in this argument?

Pretty sure you may have read two facts that I stated in my post

#1 - the problem exists long before players get to the NFL

#2 - no organization has more power to bring change to and to fund the research as does the NFL.

not saying....nor did I insinuate that other organizations should get off easy...just stating that the NFL should be in the drivers seat to change it.

1 minute ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Pretty sure you may have read two facts that I stated in my post

#1 - the problem exists long before players get to the NFL

#2 - no organization has more power to bring change to and to fund the research as does the NFL.

not saying....nor did I insinuate that other organizations should get off easy...just stating that the NFL should be in the drivers seat to change it.

But HBH, why is the NFL in the driver's seat to change head trauma that begins 3 levels below (pee wee, high school, college) below the NFL

the NFL is way too easy a target. Maybe they were slow to react, true. But they aren't to blame but they're looking for an answer.

WE have to decide whether football is an activity that boys should be encouraged to participate in in public (taxpayer funded) schools..

The NFL has no say in that

Nobody is willing to stop watching the NFL, I believe, because the horse is out of the barn by that time when it comes to head trauma.  It s just easier to blame Roger Goddell than it is the crusty old high school coach that's taken a liking to you boy

again. I'm guilty.

Me and 4,000 of my close personal friends are going to be standing in the middle of a warm field out behind Crown Point high school tomorrow night watching large still growing boys from Lowell collide with large teenage boys from Crown Point for 48 minutes.

..and I don't blame the schools. they do what the public wants.

I see a future with maybe some type of spacesuit-looking style upper body shock absorber.

..but right now that's science fiction

Football is a crippling, potentially lethal sport but until I myself stop watching, I cant blame anyone for not curing cancer

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Nobody is willing to stop watching the NFL, I believe, because the horse is out of the barn by that time when it comes to head trauma.  It s just easier to blame Roger Goddell than it is the crusty old high school coach that's taken a liking to you boy

again. I'm guilty.

Me and 4,000 of my close personal friends are going to be standing in the middle of a warm field out behind Crown Point high school tomorrow night watching large still growing boys from Lowell collide with large teenage boys from Crown Point for 48 minutes.

..and I don't blame the schools. they do what the public wants.

I see a future with maybe some type of spacesuit-looking style upper body shock absorber.

..but right now that's science fiction

Football is a crippling, potentially lethal sport but until I myself stop watching, I cant blame anyone for not curing cancer

*sigh* atleast we can hope for a CTE cure. Its sad to think that retired players will be dealing with this soon and many players today will also be dealing with it 20 years from now. But now i see why Roger is making these rules and its starting to make sense.

3 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Right on for being a bricklayer man that's a tough job and requires great skill (in my opinion). Don't think I could do it myself. I focus solely on interior construction and remodeling wholly and customers ask us to do rock or brick mosaic fireplaces all the time and I hire it out cause it's not my expertise for sure. But yes on OSHA and the site safety issues and videos...I'm in Utah and we have done a lot of government work for Hill Air Force Base as well as major defense contractors such as ATK Thiakol and man the safety stuff is sometimes grueling and let me tell you they stick to that material like mad and you better follow suit or you are off the job after a single warning. Serious loss of revenue for us if we fail to do so.

I think you made a excellent point when you brought up OSHA they stick there nose in everything else why have'nt they in to football on a professional level if there really concerned why let the NFL have a free pass ,

The Occupational Safety & Health Act was adopted in 1970 ..

To assure safe and healthful working conditions for working men and women; by authorizing enforcement of the standards developed under the Act; by assisting and encouraging the States in their efforts to assure safe and healthful working conditions; by providing for research, information, education, and training in the field of occupational safety and health; and for other purposes.

Before I became a Union Bricklayer I spent 24 years residential half that time self employed I'v built well over a 100 fireplaces indoor & out door , Fire Places were my thing most folks don't understand the inner workings of a fireplace as far as drawing without smoking I built some out side fireplaces with grilles & sinks attached out door kitchens over the years & they were alot of fun I like to blend materials such as Stone & brick with Pennsylvania Blue Stone as my counter tops . Nice to meet you ..:hat: 

What is it about disagreeing that makes people want to bring politics into the discussion?

I've removed political comments and quotes of them.

you guys know better than this.

Continue to disagree all you want about this film. Please realize though that it appears nobody will change their views so the best you can do is state your view as long as you don't revert to personal shots at people who disagree with you.

Carry on

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:47 PM, bap1331 said:

*sigh* atleast we can hope for a CTE cure. Its sad to think that retired players will be dealing with this soon and many players today will also be dealing with it 20 years from now. But now i see why Roger is making these rules and its starting to make sense.

Goddell has 2 choices....attack and throw money and effort at the head trauma issue and probably fail to solve the problem in his time..OR ignore it and definetly fail to solve it...

.....Obviously drivers in NASCAR used to die in car crashes until they came up with a kind of car that is clunkier and slower but crash proof......nobody dies

That's probably a bad parallel but I guess I'm just saying that the answer to football head trauma that may come someday isn't visible to us or our imagination now

On June 3, 2016 at 1:04 AM, WoolMagnet said:

Another odd thing, imo, is the restrictions on practicing in pads, how much you can hit in practife, etc.

practice makes "perfect", as we've heard, so wouldn't more PROPER tackling practice make for more perfect (safer) tackling and hits?

sometimes the NFL really seems to contradict what it states its goals are.

The players wanted that.  That wasn't a NFL idea.

On July 4, 2016 at 8:26 PM, BloodyChamp said:

I've never been to the sewer but I think I know what's down there. Maybe I should watch a movie about it to be sure though.

Just to be clear this is what's down there right?

If so I can recommend some movies for you :)

fyi just trying to have some fun with the thread.

image.jpeg