Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OL Coach Joe Philbin and another Offer....

NewColtsFan

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The best coordinators can make 7 figures.      Law of supply and demand.

Not many great ones,  so they get paid very well.

There are several college assistant coaches making 7 figures. 

Who said 'a million dollars ain't what it used to be'? 

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Don't you think they would come to Chud first based on success this year?

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

One thing you might be overlooking? He is the assistant head coach along with being the offensive line coach. Taking a OC job would be taking a step down IMO.

I was simply speaking to the fact that building a house is not something that ties a coach to a team or a community.  If the right job comes along, that is not a situation that will be keep them here.  

6 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I was simply speaking to the fact that building a house is not something that ties a coach to a team or a community.  If the right job comes along, that is not a situation that will be keep them here.  

OK, got ya. IMO as it stands right now it would take an offer of a head coaching job or some serious money for him to take another job. Heck, we don't even know if he wants another head coaching job after his experience at Miami? :dunno:

55 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

OK, got ya. IMO as it stands right now it would take an offer of a head coaching job or some serious money for him to take another job. Heck, we don't even know if he wants another head coaching job after his experience at Miami? :dunno:

He'll leave if someone offers him a coordinator job or a HC job.  

If they arn't offering him that and his job in Indy is secure he will likely stay.

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Apparently, Philbon was offered the OL Coach job with the Giants.    He and new HC Ben McAdoo are old friends and coached together.

This story talks about picking the Colts over the Giants....

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/16806/joe-philbin-passed-up-giants-job-to-be-back-in-the-midwest-protect-andrew-luck

One last thing.....    ESPN.com lists the "most important off-season acquisition" for each NFL team.

For the Colts,  it wasn't a player,  either a free agent signing or a draft pick.       

It was Joe Philbin!        I think that's a good sign, and hope it turns out to be true....

Hopefully he can get more out of AC!
 And he has some decent prospects to turn into quality football players. Go Joe!  :thmup:

7 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

When you make NFL coaching money you do.

Guy probably makes 6 figures at least. . . You expect him to put his wife and kids up in a 2 bedroom apartment??

Besides when you are an NFL coach you don't really put down roots anywhere.  

Building a home and buying a home are two completely different things. I've bought spec houses and I've built a house once - they are not the same thing. You can have money, lots of people have money. People come and go and they buy and sell houses. Having a home built, however, is a big deal. It is a ton of work and its very personal. The context of the article was that Philbin had a chance at a more prestigious job - instead he wanted to come 'home' to the midwest and made a point to mention he was building a new house. That means something.

Nothing is certain for sure, but in police work, we call that a clue. I think Joe Philbin is trying to homestead with the Colts. He wants to be here - this isn't a stepping stone. That is the impression I get from that article.

"“For me, when you’re not part of something that’s bigger than yourself, it’s not as much fun,” Philbin said. “I wanted to be somewhere I could contribute, be a part of something special. I’ve taken every job like it’s my last job. I’m building a house here (in Indianapolis) and I plan on staying here a long time.”

I agree Joe that sounds better than saying what you really can't say..."I did a horrible job making Ryan Tannehill a franchise QB. I really sabotaged Johnathon Martin's career. I had no business making Ritchie Incognito a captain in Miami. So, I figured what the hades...My quickest path to a head coaching gig again is getting a healthy Luck a SB ring." 

"“For me, when you’re not part of something that’s bigger than yourself, it’s not as much fun,” Philbin said. “I wanted to be somewhere I could contribute, be a part of something special. I’ve taken every job like it’s my last job. I’m building a house here (in Indianapolis) and I plan on staying here a long time.”

I agree Joe that sounds better than saying what you really can't say..."I did a horrible job making Ryan Tannehill a franchise QB. I really sabotaged Johnathon Martin's career. I had no business making Ritchie Incognito a captain in Miami. So, I figured what the hades...My quickest path to a head coaching gig again is getting a healthy Luck a SB ring." 

11 hours ago, BOTT said:

He should be thinking about being the eventual OC.  If the Colts offense performs like I think it will, Chud will be getting offers.  And if Philbin desires to be a HC again, there is no better prerequisite than being an OC of an elite offense.

There's only 1 problem with that theory BOTT. In GB, where Philbin had his greatest success that landed him the Dolphins job, Mike McCarthy called plays on offense Joe never did. 

I will give Philbin credit for creating a good offensive line in WI even though part of that was due to Aaron Roger's arm & deadly accuracy on the long pass. Translation: Joe's no Bill Walsh & he never will be either so the Colts OC job is a pipe dream for him that will never unfold IMO. 

I'd hire Brian Billick as OC before I'd ever let Philbin take over the reins in INDY. 

40 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

There's only 1 problem with that theory BOTT. In GB, where Philbin had his greatest success that landed him the Dolphins job, Mike McCarthy called plays on offense Joe never did. 

I will give Philbin credit for creating a good offensive line in WI even though part of that was due to Aaron Roger's arm & deadly accuracy on the long pass. Translation: Joe's no Bill Walsh & he never will be either so the Colts OC job is a pipe dream for him that will never unfold IMO. 

I'd hire Brian Billick as OC before I'd ever let Philbin take over the reins in INDY. 

Sounds like you have a personal problem with Philbin after reading your comment about him. Are you forgetting that Philbin is the assistant head coach? With that in mind why wouldn't he be in line to take over an OC position if it became available? Especially if things go well. You seem to have an underlying negative position with Philbin. Is it because of his problems as head coach at Miami? He took over the Miami team that he was never put in position to show what he could do IMO. Just because McCarthy called the plays in Green Bay does not mean that Philbin is incapable. I could be wrong in my assessment but after reading your comments it just entered my mind I guess? :dunno:

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sounds like you have a personal problem with Philbin after reading your comment about him. Are you forgetting that Philbin is the assistant head coach? With that in mind why wouldn't he be in line to take over an OC position if it became available? Especially if things go well. You seem to have an underlying negative position with Philbin. Is it because of his problems as head coach at Miami? He took over the Miami team that he was never put in position to show what he could do IMO. Just because McCarthy called the plays in Green Bay does not mean that Philbin is incapable. I could be wrong in my assessment but after reading your comments it just entered my mind I guess? :dunno:

Some guys are just destined to be position coaches I guess & it's better to excel in a small unit than flop with an entire offense. Philbin is not OC or HC material.  Joe could be a gifted OL coach for yrs if he sticks with it. 

It's better to be a quick fish in a small pond then a killer whale in the vast ocean. Don't pretend to be something you're not Joe. You'll be better off in the long run. I truly believe that. 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Some guys are just destined to be position coaches I guess & it's better to excel in a small unit than flop with an entire offense. Philbin is not HC or HC material.  Joe could be a gifted OL coach for yrs if he sticks with it. 

It's better to be a quick fish in a small pond then a killer whale in the vast ocean. Don't pretend to be something you're not Joe. You'll be better off in the long run. I truly believe that. 

Wow, your negative outlook of Philbin is worse that I thought. I will reserve making any pre determined opinion of him till I see how it works out.

50 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wow, your negative outlook of Philbin is worse that I thought. I will reserve making any pre determined opinion of him till I see how it works out.

He wasn't totally negative. He said he was a gifted OL coach the role he has with us. 

He didn't like him as a HC much though did he? 

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I know he never called the plays in GB, but it would still be his best route to a HC job.  I would think he would be next in line if Chud eventually leaves.  There are worse people to learn under than McCarthy and Chud.

26 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I know he never called the plays in GB, but it would still be his best route to a HC job.  I would think he would be next in line if Chud eventually leaves.  There are worse people to learn under than McCarthy and Chud.

Ain't that the truth.

On 5/17/2016 at 9:38 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Apparently, Philbon was offered the OL Coach job with the Giants.    He and new HC Ben McAdoo are old friends and coached together.

This story talks about picking the Colts over the Giants....

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/16806/joe-philbin-passed-up-giants-job-to-be-back-in-the-midwest-protect-andrew-luck

One last thing.....    ESPN.com lists the "most important off-season acquisition" for each NFL team.

For the Colts,  it wasn't a player,  either a free agent signing or a draft pick.       

It was Joe Philbin!        I think that's a good sign, and hope it turns out to be true....

Joe Philbin is a game changer for us. I never understood why so many Colts fans could not see that from the beginning. 

Nice Post!

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I didn't refer to Mr. Philbin as the anti-christ. I merely said that in my view Joe doesn't inspire others to rally around him with innate leadership qualities to guide a football team on his own. He deserves to coach in the NFL as a position coach since he is knowledgable when it comes to creating a stout o-line. 

What you perceive to be a "negative outlook" I view as a lack of charisma to make men follow you into battle every football Sunday. Look at Mike Tomlin & John Harbaugh those gentlemen have a knack for drawing the best out of the men they mentor. Joe? Please...The guy's as awe inspiring as a piece of sand paper. 

Yes, this league has had boring & difficult communicators like Chuck Noll so it is possible to win Championships without overflowing enthusiasm & motivating others to play better than they would otherwise do so alone, but Joe to me is like Dick LeBeau: He was so exceptional as a DC that nobody really views him as an assistant head coach in Tennessee. Sure, he can oversee things in Mike Mularkey's absence once in awhile, but his bread & butter will always be as a DC & even LeBeau knows this. 

You're looking at what I said about Philbin as an indictment. All I'm really saying is remain where his true gifts lie as an O-line coach. Not everybody is destined to be a head coach; Some guys are merely better suited to make their greatest contributions outside the face of the coaching staff limelight that's all. 

11 hours ago, BOTT said:

I get what you're saying BOTT. Logic would suggest given Joe's experience he'd be next in line if Chud left after the 2016 season. After the train wreck that unfolded in the Dolphins locker room during Philbin's tenure there & the foolish hazing scandal for lack of a better word, the Colts would have to win a SB in the Luck era before I would even entertain the idea of Joe running a professional football program as an owner. 

It really has nothing to do with who Joe's former coaches were McCarthy or otherwise. He had no pulse on the Dolphins at all. He had no idea things had escalated to such a horrific level & there's no excuse for that IMO. He's not a man you can trust to run a billion dollar franchise without embarrassing his boss the owner or committee of owners in some cases.