Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Possibly Interested In Chip Kelly (Merge)

Dustin

I was listening to Michael Lombardi today on NFL network and he said that a Chip Kelly could be a potential suitor for the Colts Head Coaching Job.

I'm pretty sure that this was just speculation, but what do you guys think? I haven't really seen many Oregon games so I'm not familiar with the type of philosophy he has, but he has a great overall college record.

No thanks. Oregon runs spread offense and I would think Kelly would try to experiment with it at the pro level.

Oregon is a perfect offense for college where you can exploit speed mismatches routinely.

Not so much in the pros where you have LBs and DEs who can run 4.5's.

we need somebody that if you come up to a pedestrian on a street they will know who that guy is.

Chip Kelly? no one knows who that is.

we need someone famous and someone that has fire and motivation.

Wow, this and Jim Mora thread within 20 minutes of each other. I find it hard to believe you are being serious with these posts.

because this is what we need. We want a rock star.

Look at SF, they got a winning NFL QB for a coach that has eyes like a tiger and desire to win. And on top of that everyone knoews who he is.

look at Rams, they got Jeff Fisher. I mean people in Siberia know who Fisher is. I bet Rams make playoffs.

We need Gruden, the dude from Pittsburgh that spits when he talks, Dungy, Mora anybody known. I mean comon, we already have a nobody as our GM, why would we want a nobody as our HC?

because this is what we need. We want a rock star.

Look at SF, they got a winning NFL QB for a coach that has eyes like a tiger and desire to win. And on top of that everyone knoews who he is.

look at Rams, they got Jeff Fisher. I mean people in Siberia know who Fisher is. I bet Rams make playoffs.

We need Gruden, the dude from Pittsburgh that spits when he talks, Dungy, Mora anybody known. I mean comon, we already have a nobody as our GM, why would we want a nobody as our HC?

You realize at one point these guys were nobody's right? Everybody starts at the bottom and works there way up.

we need somebody that if you come up to a pedestrian on a street they will know who that guy is.

Not necessarily. Just because someone is famous, doesn't mean he will be a good coach. It's not about the name or if the fans know the person. I didn't know Ryan Grigson very well, but I've liked most of his moves so far and I've liked what I've seen from him

You mean *you* don't know who Chip Kelly is? He's well-known. Coached the Ducks to the national championship game last season. Won the Rose Bowl this season. He's known and respected by football people.

Not to mention the fact that the idea that we need someone "famous" is one of the most ridiculous things I've read here. And that's saying something.

Seriously dude... the idea that we need someone famous is a joke.

I hear that Ellen is looking for a gig during the winter because her talk show is starting to get pretty boring for her. Great idea!

And YES Fisher got hired... but I see Fisher as a guy who can come in and help rebuild a franchise from the ground up. As much turmoil as we appear to be seeing, we still have a foundation of a strong owner who makes moves when they need to be made to strenghten his franchise. We have a great and loyal fanbase, we have respect around the league for what we do, which will make getting coaches and players interested in coming to the tundra of the midwest.

Chip Kelly is the first guy that has been named that I truly get a bit excited about. Great college coaching record, fire to win, creates creative and offenses. He also has shown that he WILL NOT deal with players who do not act like men, suspending Blount from the team after "the punch" and suspending his qb the following year for doing something I do not remember.

Take your head out of the sand and research Kelly for a few moments and you might find that you like what you see.

Jim started off as an Offensive assistant at Western Kentucky, Offensive assistant with the Raiders in 2002 and QB coach in 2003.

Then went to San Diego. Not San Diego State the D1 school San Diego in the Pioneer League school and then took a job at Stanford that no one wanted at the time because you couldn't win there. It wasn't till he won there that people realized he was a good coach. Make no mistake Harbaugh payed his dues to get where he's at.

Frankly Harbaugh is the exception to the rule (which I think is what you are getting at so please don't take this as me disagreeing with you) most famous players who go into coaching don't pan out. Most coaches that were players were guys like Tony Dungy who had a cup of coffee in the NFL as a player that their coach realized would make a better coach than player and have to work their way up like you said.

Most people who have watched college football even if only a little bit in the past three years know who he is. It's hard not to he's a head coach at one of the nation's power houses in college football. It's not like the Colts are going to talk to the Butler head football coach about the job opening. Then you could say no one knows who that is. Frankly Chip Kelly is a bigger name than either the Saints OC or Titans DC who the Colts have interviewed and probably a bigger name than Mike Zimmer.

Also this isn't about hiring the biggest name they can get it's about getting the best coach they can get and if that's a guy who is young so be it. If he's good people will learn his name.

come up to the first pedestrian on the street and ask them if they know who Chip Kelly is. Good luck with that.

Now the same exact pedestrian will know who Bill Cowher, Gruden and Jeff Fisher are.

I'm not hating on Chip Kelly at all. I am just stating my opinion that we need a superstar coach. Whether u agree or not I dont care.

If they are a football fan I bet they have heard of him. If they aren't I am sure I could give them the name of lots of people they have never heard of.

Again this isn't about getting a big name it's about getting the best coach and if that guy turns out to be a big name then great. There aren't a lot of big names out there right now. Most of the big names arent interested in coaching right now.

come up to the first pedestrian on the street and ask them if they know who Chip Kelly is. Good luck with that.

Now the same exact pedestrian will know who Bill Cowher, Gruden and Jeff Fisher are.

I'm not hating on Chip Kelly at all. I am just stating my opinion that we need a superstar coach. Whether u agree or not I dont care.

I would rather walk up to a GM/NFL personnel guy and ask them about Chip Kelly than a pedestrian.

Your whole premise is absurd. Being well known does not make you better.

I'll say what I said in the coach candidates mega thread merge.....

The way I want to say no cannot be said here without A) A 24 hour Ban B) Making someone cry C) blowing up the chat room and D) Making Jim Irsay flip out. As much as I like Kelly as a coach for Oregon, the way he runs offense I can't see it being effective in the NFL. The whole Oregon Blur game wouldn't work in the NFL. Coaching College works for him extremely well and he should stay at that level. The NFL would be a disaster in my opinion...

college coaches very rarely do well in the NFL

That's a different and much more valid arguement than we shouldn't hire him because he's not "famous" enough when outside of Tressel (which has not been confirmed) he's the most famous guy to be seriously linked to the Colts coaching serach.

because this is what we need. We want a rock star. Look at SF, they got a winning NFL QB for a coach that has eyes like a tiger and desire to win. And on top of that everyone knoews who he is. look at Rams, they got Jeff Fisher. I mean people in Siberia know who Fisher is. I bet Rams make playoffs. We need Gruden, the dude from Pittsburgh that spits when he talks, Dungy, Mora anybody known. I mean comon, we already have a nobody as our GM, why would we want a nobody as our HC?

We don't want a rock star. You want a rock star. Don't make me part of your 99%.

How about Jim Caldwell - he is well known.

And although I'm not sold on Chip Kelly, he is a very good coach and a high motivational guy. the reason you don't know about Chip Kelly is you probably don't watch Pac 12 football, but everyone out here knows about him.

You mean *you* don't know who Chip Kelly is? He's well-known. Coached the Ducks to the national championship game last season. Won the Rose Bowl this season. He's known and respected by football people.

Not to mention the fact that the idea that we need someone "famous" is one of the most ridiculous things I've read here. And that's saying something.

My thoughts exactly, passion and fire, that is Chip Kelly , not saying he is right for this job, but you think he lacks those things,you have never seen him coach.

the reason you don't know about Chip Kelly is you probably don't watch Pac 12 football, but everyone out here knows about him.

You'd have to not watch college football at all to not know Chip Kelly. Heck, they're even talking about him around the NBA right now because the Miami Heat's head coach spent some time with him talking about the fast-paced, attack-oriented offense.

Hypothetically, if he was hired, would this make RGIII a better fit? Just asking...

I don't think it's relevant. The Ducks are a running team. Any quarterback with a reasonable degree of athleticism and accuracy could succeed in his system.

But more importantly, Chip Kelly's system won't work in the NFL.