Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Nkemdiche has workouts with 16 teams

I wonder if the Colts are on that list. If not for his obvious red flags, he'd be a top ten prospect. I don't know if the Colts can afford to take a chance on him at #18, and Grigson's comments over the years have pretty much ruled out a guy like this in the first few rounds, but it's hard to not be intrigued. 

I saw 14 was the number yesterday.  I think you have to take a look at him - if it's me, I want a meeting.  The only way you're going to be comfortable with drafting him is whether or not you can figure out whether what he's saying/doing is genuine or not.  Have a dinner with him and/or interview with a handful of guys like position coach, DC, HC, and Grigs in some fashion or another.  It's the same issue with Spence.  Is he saying the right things for the right reasons, or just to get drafted?  Only a face to face meeting can tap into that answer.

45 minutes ago, wig said:

Not sure what a private workout proves/disproves when his ability isn't the question.  I'm guessing the Pats or Broncos will take him.

I assume a workout includes a meeting/interview. Nothing completely erases whatever concerns a team might have.

4 hours ago, wig said:

Not sure what a private workout proves/disproves when his ability isn't the question.  I'm guessing the Pats or Broncos will take him.

Maybe its semantics here....     but I'd amend that part in bold by saying his ability isn't the BIGGEST question.

Clearly, character and off-field issues are the biggest worry.

But his game tape,  his on the field playing -- is NOT great.    He had 5 games this year with 2 tackles or less.

That's nearly half of a regular season.    He's never come close to living up to his fantastic talent.    Some may be character.    But the worry for scouts like Daniel Jeremiah is that he often looks lost out there.    Can't find the football.     Gets washed out by angle blocks.    Doesn't dominate lesser opponents.      That's a big red flag.

Still....    I don't see him getting out of the first.

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe its semantics here....     but I'd amend that part in bold by saying his ability isn't the BIGGEST question.

Clearly, character and off-field issues are the biggest worry.

But his game tape,  his on the field playing -- is NOT great.    He had 5 games this year with 2 tackles or less.

That's nearly half of a regular season.    He's never come close to living up to his fantastic talent.    Some may be character.    But the worry for scouts like Daniel Jeremiah is that he often looks lost out there.    Can't find the football.     Gets washed out by angle blocks.    Doesn't dominate lesser opponents.      That's a big red flag.

Still....    I don't see him getting out of the first.

His effort is a question, not athleticism (ability).  You can't see what his 4th quarter effort will be in a shirt and shorts. 

47 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Big time recruit that didn`t show up in college. He`s not a 1st rd talent and you throw in the character concerns, he`ll be waiting after the 1st rd to hear his named called. I easily see bust potential with him. 

Crazy talk. He's a top ten player without the off field stuff.

14 hours ago, Superman said:

Crazy talk. He's a top ten player without the off field stuff.

I haven't watched all of the draftbreakdown videos of all of the DTs...but of the videos I've watched of Nkemdiche, Butler, Billings, Reed, Robinson etc...I was easily the most impressed with Nkemdiche.

Top 10 LMAO!
  It is the whole package. Against Alabama i saw top quality pursuit against the run.
  Not much else.
   From what i get out of this article, our GM`ing and Coaching has been what many here think it is,

Very ??????

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/19008/what-is-the-seahawks-philosophy-on-drafting-exceptions

5 hours ago, Jason_S said:

I haven't watched all of the draftbreakdown videos of all of the DTs...but of the videos I've watched of Nkemdiche, Butler, Billings, Reed, Robinson etc...I was easily the most impressed with Nkemdiche.

The only one I think looks better than Nkemdiche on the field is Buckner.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

The only one I think looks better than Nkemdiche on the field is Buckner.

Interesting...I don't think I got to any of the videos on him.  I'll have to check them out.  I think the reason I passed on his videos is because of how low the odds are that he'd be available at 18.

The thing about Nkemdiche, and being in Mississippi and married to an Ole Miss grad trust me I've watched a lot of him, he can play either DE or DT.  And he may well end up being better at DE long term.  He is an intriguing  prospect at 18, and could be an incredible player at two DL positions for the Colts. 

I just dont think the Colts are going to draft a guy in the first round that fell out of a window after using synthetic weed and when asked about it during interviews he tells the people he was drunk. That's even more alarming because alcohol is readily available and its legal. So do we now need to be afraid of what happens when he drinks? Not that I believe for one second it was liquor that caused that incident. He lied after having months to prepare for this. At least do Jameis Winston and say "I just want to move on to a better place. Let me prove I'm trustworthy. Let me earn your trust." Remember Grigson said he wants guys like Henry Anderson, David Parry, Clayton Geathers, Phil Dorsett. Guys who are fully committed to football. I dont have a crystal ball but I can't see Grigs drafting him in the first.