Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What about this Mock???

I've been saying EDGE in the 1st since day 1. But there's a guy who could be had in the 2nd that I'm really starting to like. Shilique Calhoun.....And I wanted to do something a little different to see what everybody thought...

1) Andrew Billings NT

2) Shilique Calhoun EDGE

3) Nick Martin Center

4) Christian Westerman Guard

5) Matt Judon EDGE

7) Marquez North WR

If we got Martin in the third and westerman in the fourth that would be awesome. I love billings in the first. I'm not big on calhoun. I'd rather have Correa if he was there. We need a number two cb but in this situation I'd guess the Colts are happy with Smith going forward. Artie Burns is a guy who if he feel to us in the second would be a good pick as well. Eric Murray might be some to target in the fifth instead of a second edge guy. 

17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Judon is the only pick I don't like. Rest of the mock is great though. I'm a Calhoun fan.

I really like Judon. I think he has the tools to develop into a pretty good pass rusher. I hope we come out of the draft with either Judon, McCalister, or Ochi as a later round EDGE rusher. Or 2 of those guys would be really nice.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I've been saying EDGE in the 1st since day 1. But there's a guy who could be had in the 2nd that I'm really starting to like. Shilique Calhoun.....And I wanted to do something a little different to see what everybody thought...

1) Andrew Billings NT

2) Shilique Calhoun EDGE

3) Nick Martin Center

5) Matt Judon EDGE

7) Marquez North WR

The problem I see with Calhoun is that what I'm reading is he's a 4-3 DE and not an OLB.    Most don't seem to think of him as an OLB.

Also...    it appears you've moved Martin and Westerman down a round each.      I'm not sure either will be there when we pick in those rounds.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem I see with Calhoun is that what I'm reading is he's a 4-3 DE and not an OLB.    Most don't seem to think of him as an OLB.

Also...    it appears you've moved Martin and Westerman down a round each.      I'm not sure either will be there when we pick in those rounds.

I've heard the same thing on Calhoun, and honestly I'm not really sure about it. But I think both Martin and Westerman could fall to the 3rd or so. Martin because he's had injury issues, and some think he's not the same player that he was before the injury. Westerman because he's undersized and probably limited to ZBS's. Plus there's a handful of guys rated ahead of both according to NFL.Com.

Also Marquez North has HUGE potential. He's going to be a 6-7th rounder or UDFA because of injuries. He's got great size at 6'2-6'3, 220 plus. Good hands, not a body catcher, and can go up and get jump balls. He's a project. But the talent is definitely there. At worst, if we draft him and he stays healthy, I could see him being our, solid, reliable 4th receiver the next 4 years or more.

9 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Also Marquez North has HUGE potential. He's going to be a 6-7th rounder or UDFA because of injuries. He's got great size at 6'2-6'3, 220 plus. Good hands, not a body catcher, and can go up and get jump balls. He's a project. But the talent is definitely there. At worst, if we draft him and he stays healthy, I could see him being our, solid, reliable 4th receiver the next 4 years or more.

I don't see anything wrong with that. colts don't really have any size at receiver. I think they want to use Allen as a jump ball guy, but I wonder if he can get off the o-line!

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

You guys who are talking about CB. What does everybody think of Rashard Robinson if he falls to the 4th?

I'd take a chance on him in the 4th. He's obviously talented but has been suspended and then removed from the team all together. 

I think his upside out weighs the risk. I'd take him. 

12 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

I can see Edge or CB in first round

Well I personally hope its EDGE. But those 2 positions you named certainly aren't the only possibilities. EDGE, Corner, NT, DT, ILB, and OL are the possibilities. It will definitely be one of those positions. I don't see it being QB, WR, TE, RB, or Safety. But knowing Grigs, he may pull one out of left field and draft Hunter Henry, Zeke Elliott, Josh Doctson, or somebody like that LOL. But no. Personally. I hope its Leonard Floyd or Noah Spence.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Brandon Scherff 2.0. Conklin has all the tools.

I'm starting to think so. I just started thinking, after months of studying all the top tier guards entering the draft. It just hit me the other day that "Wow". "Conklin could be the best guard in this draft" LOL. I think Decker is another possibility at Guard, but I'm not a fan of him myself.

I like all the position groups for each round but I don't think we need to draft defensive line. If Billings falls to us, it'd be hard to pass on it though. I'd go corner in the first and the rest of the positions can be drafted where you have them.

7 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

1) Andrew Billings NT

2) Shilique Calhoun EDGE

3) Nick Martin Center

5) Matt Judon EDGE

7) Marquez North WR

I like this anything that gets Billings I love. Westerman will play C in the NFL. 

I would take a CB Howard in the 3rd and Thumey G/T in the 5th. If we love Judon we could trade into the 6th and get him I think. We will have comp picks to play with 

My dream draft

1 Billings NT

2 Calhoun OLB 

3 Howard/Burns CB

4 Westerman/Allen C

5 Thuney G/T

7 Blount ILB 

2 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I like all the position groups for each round but I don't think we need to draft defensive line. If Billings falls to us, it'd be hard to pass on it though. I'd go corner in the first and the rest of the positions can be drafted where you have them.

We do have a need at NT, and Billings can be one of the top NT's in the entire NFL. Like seriously, top 3 IMO.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

We do have a need at NT, and Billings can be one of the top NT's in the entire NFL. Like seriously, top 3 IMO.

I know we could use a better NT but I was just saying with Perry and Kerr backing him up we'd be ok. I think I'm more comfortable on the defensive line than that second corner spot.. but I wouldn't be mad at picking Billings.

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

I like this anything that gets Billings I love. Westerman will play C in the NFL. 

I would take a CB Howard in the 3rd and Thumey G/T in the 5th. If we love Judon we could trade into the 6th and get him I think. We will have comp picks to play with 

My dream draft

1 Billings NT

2 Calhoun OLB 

3 Howard/Burns CB

4 Westerman/Allen C

5 Thuney G/T

7 Blount ILB 

The comp picks that you've been reading about are for next year -- 2017.  

The Colts have zero comp picks for this year -- 2016.

All we've got are our 6 draft picks as we have traded one of our own (6th)

16 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

1) Andrew Billings NT

2) Shilique Calhoun EDGE

3) Nick Martin Center

5) Matt Judon EDGE

7) Marquez North WR

16 hours ago, JRnINDY said:

Judon's a stud. I hope we draft him.

Lots to like about Andrew Billings. OTOH, scout Bill Roos projects Billings to be a 3-4 DE, or a 4-3 DT/NT

Pat Kirwan explosion number- 68  (>= 70 is good)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Calhoun is agile and athletic, and I'm sure zillions of web sites have all glowing reports of him.  To play devils advocate (like many did to me with my Reggie Ragland report) I''m going to place a few of the negative notes from another real scout that watched him in games vs. OSU and Oregon-

*****************************************************************************************************************
Unsure what 2nd key is when OT blocks down, often in no-man’s land

Would like to have seen him turn up motor and pull down runner from back side

Under developed body, can be muscled

Skinny legs

Hops out of stance (high leverage)

Can be blocked by a base TE, not strong enough to compress

No bull rush, slide protect away can put him in no man’s land easy for RB, can be pushed out of rush lane

Summary- I expected to see more. His play did not match his athletic ability. Not explosive out of stance (hops and spreads feet), played more like a shooting forward than a Big X DE. Will need time to develop, but has ability.

Pat Kirwan explosion number- 67.08  (>= 70 is good)

*****************************************************************************************************************

Sounds like he had his hand n the dirt often.?  Folks who follow the Spartans can fill me in.  Could he even transition to play OLB?  Even players in the NFL can have weaknesses.  It is proven that scheme and placement can overcome many deficiencies.  I'm not smart enough to know if he fits our scheme and how to minimize his weak areas as he develops.  That's why I'm not a GM. But it is worth noting development opportunity (weak) areas.

As far as Judon being a stud, Robert Mathis is a stud (5th round pick Alabama A&M).  When/if Judon becomes another Robert Mathis, then I'll recognize him as a stud.

10 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Well I personally hope its EDGE. But those 2 positions you named certainly aren't the only possibilities. EDGE, Corner, NT, DT, ILB, and OL are the possibilities. It will definitely be one of those positions. I don't see it being QB, WR, TE, RB, or Safety. But knowing Grigs, he may pull one out of left field and draft Hunter Henry, Zeke Elliott, Josh Doctson, or somebody like that LOL. But no. Personally. I hope its Leonard Floyd or Noah Spence.

No D-line

18 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Brandon Scherff 2.0. Conklin has all the tools.

I do feel he would certainly be a very good guard. However I was pretty encouraged by Conklins tape against Deforest Buckner. He was kind of doing what he wanted to do againt Buckner. I did not think Conklin played the same against Ohio State though. He looked more slow footed against them. More like Mewhort is at tackle in that one.

i dont know everyone is calling for Billings but D line is actually one of the strength of this team even though he may be BPA at the time i dont think we draft him just because of our many other holes, and if Martin drops to the third i may put on a party hat and throw confetti around, but i highly doubt it happens

18 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Seems I don't hear u speak of Mackenzie Alexander much anymore. He has grown on me quite a bit lately. I actually think he's a special player with a very high football IQ and skill set. Not to mention I love his passion for the game and dog mentality. I'm sure the Colts are very high on him. Plus he's from Florida and Pagano loves players from Florida. I was iffy at first but I would love to have the kid. No doubt in my mind he will be very good. I know the Colts have spent quite a bit of time with. Just as much as they spent with Ragland.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I do feel he would certainly be a very good guard. However I was pretty encouraged by Conklins tape against Deforest Buckner. He was kind of doing what he wanted to do againt Buckner. I did not think Conklin played the same against Ohio State though. He looked more slow footed against them. More like Mewhort is at tackle in that one.

That game was the day I became a Conklin fan. Matched up nicely against Buckner and put him on his behind on one play.

He can play either or. I just question if he'll be able to pull effectively. Didn't see him do it a bunch in college.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

That game was the day I became a Conklin fan. Matched up nicely against Buckner and put him on his behind on one play.

He can play either or. I just question if he'll be able to pull effectively. Didn't see him do it a bunch in college.

I saw more than one play he put Buckner on his butt. He was pushing him around and it was surprising.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Seems I don't hear u speak of Mackenzie Alexander much anymore. He has grown on me quite a bit lately. I actually think he's a special player with a very high football IQ and skill set. Not to mention I love his passion for the game and dog mentality. I'm sure the Colts are very high on him. Plus he's from Florida and Pagano loves players from Florida. I was iffy at first but I would love to have the kid. No doubt in my mind he will be very good. I know the Colts have spent quite a bit of time with. Just as much as they spent with Ragland.

I do like Alexander. I think he's going to be a very good cover corner. I just like William Jackson a little better.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The comp picks that you've been reading about are for next year -- 2017.  

The Colts have zero comp picks for this year -- 2016.

All we've got are our 6 draft picks as we have traded one of our own (6th)

I realize they are for next year. I think the comp picks coming next year make it easier to try and trade to move up or to add a pick this year. You know you won't be leaving yourself empty if you trade a pick from next years draft. 

It looks like a good draft for some spots we could use help. When you could use help in a lot of areas that isn't so difficult.

C's and interior OL there looks to be guys to have through the 5th. It looks like we could upgrade NT through Henry in the 5th I hope we go sooner. The CB class looks pretty deep.

There are a lot of small school guys I like at a lot of positions. OL Booker C/G Debron OT, the T from Delware. Cowser. Ochi and Spence at Edge, Hall. Miller, Jordan Sims, CB. Blount, Robets ILB. Blair DE. That's just naming a few.

There is no telling what the depth at DL will do to the board. There should be quality in the middle rounds. 

I think we will end up with a pretty good UDFA group. I bet our string of an UDFA making the squad goes one more year.

27 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I realize they are for next year. I think the comp picks coming next year make it easier to try and trade to move up or to add a pick this year. You know you won't be leaving yourself empty if you trade a pick from next years draft. 

It looks like a good draft for some spots we could use help. When you could use help in a lot of areas that isn't so difficult.

C's and interior OL there looks to be guys to have through the 5th. It looks like we could upgrade NT through Henry in the 5th I hope we go sooner. The CB class looks pretty deep.

There are a lot of small school guys I like at a lot of positions. OL Booker C/G Debron OT, the T from Delware. Cowser. Ochi and Spence at Edge, Hall. Miller, Jordan Sims, CB. Blount, Robets ILB. Blair DE. That's just naming a few.

There is no telling what the depth at DL will do to the board. There should be quality in the middle rounds. 

I think we will end up with a pretty good UDFA group. I bet our string of an UDFA making the squad goes one more year.

I'm hoping so bad that Keith Marshall goes undrafted and we sign him. If he can stay healthy that kid will be a beast.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

I saw more than one play he put Buckner on his butt. He was pushing him around and it was surprising.

Conklin is motivated by this.  he says by the end of the game, he wants to see the his opponent really doesn't want to go mano-a-manno anymore. And the sloppier the conditions, the more he likes it.

33 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I'm hoping so bad that Keith Marshall goes undrafted and we sign him. If he can stay healthy that kid will be a beast.

I think the chances of Marshall going underrated -- especially after his great combine -- are right around slim and none.......

If we want him,   I think we'll have to draft him.

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the chances of Marshall going underrated -- especially after his great combine -- are right around slim and none.......

If we want him,   I think we'll have to draft him.

I don't see him going any higher than the 6th though.

6 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I don't see him going any higher than the 6th though.

You may indeed be right on this....    but the old secret of drafting a quality back-up RB from a big time program like Georgia (or any other powerhouse program)  is now an well accepted idea that has been done a number of times.      

A few years back Houston took LSU back-up Alfred Blue to back-up Arian Foster.     The Texans drafted Blue in the 6th round.     His senior year,  Blue had a grand total of.....   ZERO carries!     They had a really, REALLY good scout working the LSU program!