Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anybody catch Pagano or Grigsons pressers?

RockThatBlue

"Those are the guys that we're looking for and the types of players.  Clayton Geathers, Dorsett, Denzelle Good, Henry Anderson, David Parry - guys that come from that mold.  The guys that the film, when you watch it, they're productive on darn near every tape.  They also have a love for the game but they have an aptitude as well.  We're trying to get guys with those characteristics.  You check off those boxes and you hit more times than you miss."

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/2/26/11119980/colts-still-have-very-high-expectations-for-phillip-dorsett

18 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

I found this interesting. This is from later on after his press conference when he sat down with Andress. This might mean the end of Thornton at RG.

That is interesting. I am not that familiar with what Chud wants vs Pep, but it makes me wonder what it will mean for Mewhort also.

I think from what we heard the team will be very aggressive in the first round to find a pass rusher (Spence, Floyd, Dodd) and then spend rounds 2-3 on o-lineman , then close out tweaking the secondary, a RB and D-Line depth. Maybe a late round WR too. I think we find another pass rusher, DT, corner and maybe Alex Mack in free agency.  

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

That is interesting. I am not that familiar with what Chud wants vs Pep, but it makes me wonder what it will mean for Mewhort also.

The difference is that Pep wanted power blocking guards, and Chud wants zone blocking guards. I believe Mewhort will be fine in a ZBS, and I am confident that Thornton is athletic enough to switch but he would have the biggest transition of the two. I just think that Grigs was trying to say that the draft is full of a lot of ZBS offensive linemen. So I wouldn't be surprised if we get a couple mid round offensive linemen.

7 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

The difference is that Pep wanted power blocking guards, and Chud wants zone blocking guards. I believe Mewhort will be fine in a ZBS, and I am confident that Thornton is athletic enough to switch but he would have the biggest transition of the two. I just think that Grigs was trying to say that the draft is full of a lot of ZBS offensive linemen. So I wouldn't be surprised if we get a couple mid round offensive linemen.

I think it's the opposite. Thornton is much more suited for zone than Mewhort, but Mewhort is more refined.

I agree though that we finally got confirmation that the blocking scheme is changing. Castonzo alluded to this earlier this week, also. 

Just now, Superman said:

I think it's the opposite. Thornton is much more suited for zone than Mewhort, but Mewhort is more refined.

I agree though that we finally got confirmation that the blocking scheme is changing. Castonzo alluded to this earlier this week, also. 

Interesting. Can you please explain why you think that Thornton is better suited for a ZBS?

19 hours ago, krunk said:

"I think the ole adage, if you have 12 pass rushers, you got to get 13," Grigson said. "But it’s easier said than done. The draft this year, there are some players, personally, in my opinion, (it's not) as thick as you’d like. But those guys come at a premium, they go really high in the draft. Those pure edge rushers are the ones that command the big dollars.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/02/25/pagano-combine-colts-need-address-pass-rush/80516720/

These comments tell me if there is any sort of pure pass rusher available at 18 they will probably pull the trigger.

I wonder if Grigs would be willing to trade up for a pass rusher. Notably Spence if he thinks he would be gone before 18.

I'd like to know who exactly brings in these players? It was brought up today about what kind of guys we get. We even bring in non-football players. A rugby guy that hasn't even been helpful to this team is on the roster. For years even us on this forum have known what we needed. I'm glad we're switching to a zone blocking scheme. Our personnel are mostly zone blockers. We changed some of coaches, but I don't believe that's was the problem. To me it's who picks the guys we have. Anthony Castonzo I hope has a great season. Wasn't great at all until Jack moved back next to him. He is to blame for Lucks rib and shoulder injuries. Rewatch last season games. You'll see who sticks out in a bad way. 

12 hours ago, Superman said:

Boy were they ever. Some of the questions were longer than the answers. 

'Ryan, speak to that a little bit. What did you learn about yourself last year? Because the first three years you were here, you guys went 11-5, and that's after a 2-14 season, and you guys have been talking about winning a championship since that first year. So what have you learned about yourself since then, because you spent a lot of money in free agency and took some pretty big swings, and things were going pretty well, and then you got to the conference championship game, and then you brought in some guys last year and everyone expected that you'd take the next step, but things didn't go so well, and then you and Chuck had your meetings after the last game and Andrew got hurt and all that, so what did all that teach you about yourself and how you want to run the team and how you're going to make decisions and what direction you want this thing to go in? Because obvious you want to get back going in the right direction, so what did you learn about yourself? What did 2015 teach you?'

Seriously. That's basically how one of the questions went. And there were a couple others that weren't too much different.

No one asked about the new blocking scheme, no one asked if the defense would be different with Monachino, etc. Indy media complained for almost two months about not getting a real end of season presser, and then they show up at the Combine and ask this kind of junk. 

The indy sports media is dreadful. But it is like that pretty much everywhere. 

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

WOW!  Doyel and Keefer's articles in the STAR are really, really bad.  They are both so concerned about Grigson's personality and point out that he seems nicer and humble.

Who cares.  Grow up and stop being so sensitive.

NFL GMing is a grownup's business, and how GM's interact with the media is only the concern of the media.  Doyel and Keefer  need to get over themselves.  Their opinion's about Grigson's personality are completely irrelevant.

Doyel always writes terrible articles on the colts. I didn't read the articles you pointed out but that's just sad. A lot of posters on this forum would do a better job than the local media here.

I almost feel Grigson should get a restraining order from Doyel though. He has a strange obsession with Ryan. 

11 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

The indy sports media is dreadful. But it is like that pretty much everywhere. 

I didn't watch every presser, but there were some with better questions. Maybe it's because I watch almost every Colts presser, so they're stale...

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I didn't watch every presser, but there were some with better questions. Maybe it's because I watch almost every Colts presser, so they're stale...

Lol I'm sure there were better ones but I mean for the most part country wide sports media is bad, or a lot worse than it used to be anyway. 

1 hour ago, SDakColts said:

Interesting. Can you please explain why you think that Thornton is better suited for a ZBS?

Thornton has good movement skills and flexibility, and while his footwork can be sloppy, he can still cover ground and arrive with force. 

Mewhort isn't nearly as good on the move as Thornton. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Thornton has good movement skills and flexibility, and while his footwork can be sloppy, he can still cover ground and arrive with force. 

Mewhort isn't nearly as good on the move as Thornton. 

IMO pulling from the guard position is one of the hardest blocks to make. As there is a lot of bodies in the interior offensive line, and a lot of movement. I wonder if getting Mewhort on the move, but him not pulling will be easier for him. I agree Thornton has the better movement skills at least when both are pulling.

On 2/25/2016 at 5:33 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People are just paranoid because of the season we just had. Cant blame them but Andrew being injured was fluky and we just had one of those seasons where not much went right. Peyton went 6-10 in 2001, it happens.

That Andrew hasn`t been injured in prior years is FLUKEY!!
 The guy Loves the deep ball and love`s to congratulate his opponent on their good hits.
    Think about it!!  You think his body hasn`t accumulated some wear and tear from his hanging onto the ball "Style" of FB.
   Come Sept 12th he will be 27 going on ??