Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians on end to season: 'Nice that our fans are *'

SilentHill

5 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I was just returning the favor, it was intended to be a backhanded joke from the post I quoted.

well..to be fair...the responses in this thread lead one to believe that Superman was much closer to being right than you were.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tsarquise said:

Essentially, I think he is saying that there was no Super Bowl or bust mentality with Colts fans. After the AFCCG loss, many people were content with just reaching the game because they felt we were still in rebuild mode and that we were lucky to be there in such short amount of time; but with that being said, I'm pretty sure everyone was mad that the Colts lost and didn't make the  Super Bowl. 

What does a "Super Bowl or Bust" mentality look like? That is a serious question. How are fans with that mentality supposed to act if their teams lose.  Are they supposed to break furniture, set cars on fire, get rid of season tickets, become a fan of another team, or what, to show that they are displeased with not winning the Super Bowl? I don't understand the point of this.

No one is happy to lose.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

What does a "Super Bowl or Bust" mentality look like? That is a serious question. How are fans with that mentality supposed to act if their teams lose.  Are they supposed to break furniture, set cars on fire, get rid of season tickets, become a fan of another team, or what, to show that they are displeased with not winning the Super Bowl? I don't understand the point of this.

No one is happy to lose.

No, it means, someone is unhappy that the team didn't make the Super Bowl, instead of being happy that they made it as far as they did.

14 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

No, it means, someone is unhappy that the team didn't make the Super Bowl, instead of being happy that they made it as far as they did.

As you see, every Colts fan so far has said they wanted to win the Super Bowl. They were all upset. Some people get over it faster.  The Colts will win one again. 

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

No one is happy to lose.

When fans of teams have that mentality it's called being spoiled as fans haha Most Pats, Steelers, Broncos, Seahawks, Packers fans have that mentality from the stuff I read anyway and ever since we have had Peyton, now Andrew a lot of our fans are the same. In reality we don't have the Defense right now to make the SB or win it. We have a lot of work to do in the offseason.

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

No one is happy to lose.

Anything short of the Super Bowl is considered a complete failure of a season.

5 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

That's every fan that I've seen here.   No one was happy we didn't make the superbowl.    

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That's every fan that I've seen here.   No one was happy we didn't make the superbowl.    

The OP is just expressing their disdain for people who considered reaching the AFCG as an achievement in and of itself.

Probably also upset at the AFC finalist banner, which I admit, is annoying, because now it is brought up by rival fans when they talk smack to you.

So all of this creates the perception that the Colts organization and fan base are fine with second place, which isn't true. 

1 minute ago, Tsarquise said:

I get that but how do fans with that mentality react to anything short of a SB? It sounds to me that the OP is saying that Colts fans should have been more angry and upset. But what does that do? It does not take away the loss.

12 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I highly disagree with that.

4 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

The OP is just expressing their disdain for people who considered reaching the AFCG as an achievement in and of itself.

Reaching the AFCCG is an achievement in and of itself.  It's not the ultimate goal.  And acknowledging that reaching the AFCCG is an achievement is not the same thing as being happy about not reaching the Superbowl.

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

Reaching the AFCCG is an achievement in and of itself.  It's not the ultimate goal.  And acknowledging that reaching the AFCCG is an achievement is not the same thing as being happy about not reaching the Superbowl.

This^

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I get that but how do fans with that mentality react to anything short of a SB? It sounds to me that the OP is saying that Colts fans should have been more angry and upset. But what does that do? It does not take away the loss.

I'm not saying you should be upset, I'm just saying it's not proper to celebrate reaching the AFCCG or the playoffs as an accomplishment. At the end of the day, when the season is almost over, the Colts and the Titans are sitting at home watching the Super Bowl, the only difference is that one team has a higher draft pick, IMO.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He is saying that what the Colts did in 2014 should not be considered an achievement in any way.

What fans think has no bearing on the results on the field. Everyone knows that. That isn't the point.

Maybe he was chastized, in the past for having a Suoer Bowl or bust mentality and he is calling out all fans who thought that reaching the AFCCG was an achievement and that it is okay to have a Super Bowl or bust mentality because he sees that coaches, like Arians, like that mindset.

1 minute ago, Tsarquise said:

He is saying that what the Colts did in 2014 should not be considered an achievement in any way.

What fans think has no bearing on the results on the field. Everyone knows that. That isn't the point.

Maybe he was chastized, in the past for having a Suoer Bowl or bust mentality and he is calling out all fans who thought that reaching the AFCCG was an achievement and that it is okay to have a Super Bowl or bust mentality because he sees that coaches, like Arians, like that mindset.

If only I took the time to think hard about my posts before i submit them, then maybe they would be as beautiful as this.

8 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I was just answering NFLfan's question on what a Super Bowl or bust mentality was. I didn't say I felt that way.

And I agree with you on the AFCG being an accomplishment. Heck, anything is better than being one and done; except missing the playoffs entirely.

11 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I'm not saying you should be upset, I'm just saying it's not proper to celebrate reaching the AFCCG or the playoffs as an accomplishment. At the end of the day, when the season is almost over, the Colts and the Titans are sitting at home watching the Super Bowl, the only difference is that one team has a higher draft pick, IMO.

it's not "proper"?  lol    ok

1 minute ago, SilentHill said:

Do you not celebrate after a win? 

3 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Okay. Thanks for clarifying that. I don't think Arians has that mentality. Read some of what he said. 

On a personal note, my team lost in the first round because the kicker missed a 27-yard FG that ended the game. We almost upset the NFC champs. Our fans were the ones upset instead. But I came here and wrote that while I was still pretty bummed, I felt optimistic about our future. 

I think many Colts fans were optimistic that they would take the next step this year. I don't see anything wrong with thinking that way.

9 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Not only is that viewpoint wrong -- making the AFCCG is an achievement -- it's not what Arians said about the Cardinals.

I don't know if you're co-signing that viewpoint or not, I'm just pointing out that I disagree with it.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Do you not celebrate after a win? 

Okay. Thanks for clarifying that. I don't think Arians has that mentality. Read some of what he said. 

On a personal note, my team lost in the first round because the kicker missed a 27-yard FG that ended the game. We almost upset the NFC champs. Our fans were the ones upset instead. But I came here and wrote that while I was still pretty bummed, I felt optimistic about our future. 

I think many Colts fans were optimistic that they would take the next step this year. I don't see anything wrong with thinking that way.

I celebrate after every win, until we lose the last game. lol

21 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Evidently, a fan who dares to acknowledge that their team making the conference championship game is an achievement is "happy" even with losing that game. 

That's what we're supposed to take away from this.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not only is that viewpoint wrong -- making the AFCCG is an achievement -- it's not what Arians said about the Cardinals.

I don't know if you're co-signing that viewpoint or not, I'm just pointing out that I disagree with it.

I disagree, making the AFCCG is not an achievement, Might as well hand out runner's up awards and participation awards if you think it is.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Evidently, a fan who dares to acknowledge that their team making the conference championship game is an achievement is "happy" even with losing that game. 

That's what we're supposed to take away from this.

What we need to take away from this, is that Bruce Arians likes fans who aren't satisfied with just making the NFCCG, the rest is all opinions on the matter.

6 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I disagree, making the AFCCG is not an achievement, Might as well hand out runner's up awards and participation awards if you think it is.

It's an achievement in the literal sense. As in something done successfully, but I agree that was nothing worth celebrating. I'll leave the moral victories to the bottom-feeder teams. 

Rightfully, the Colts will be mocked for years for their pathetic AFC participant banner. 

6 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Yeah that's not even close to the same thing.  Calling something an achievement is not the same as saying it's an award.  Making the playoffs is an achievement.  Making the divisional round is an achievement.  Making the championship game is the achievement.  None of these, however, are the ultimate goal, nor do you receive an official award for any of them.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I do think winning the AFCCG is an achievement; even making the playoffs is an achievement, but I do get a little annoyed when fans act as if we are not supposed to be in the Super Bowl because we are supposedly in year X of a rebuild. Rebuilds don't take multiple years. And the fact that your team is in the freaking AFCCG means that they are a contender. So I can see where the OP is coming from. 

With that being said, I hold the 2014 season in high regard and consider what they did an achievement, but I was very disappointed that they couldn't slay New England and make it to the Super Bowl. It would have been great beating New England and Denver and win the Super Bowl!

1 hour ago, Tsarquise said:

I think the problem they had is that you seemed to make it seem like ALL Colts fans had that view point. I have talked to plenty of Colts fans in person whom have expressed the sentiment that we just weren't good enough and didn't really expect us to beat New England...  I don't have definitive proof that that these people exist, but if memory serves me correct, there were...  Doesn't mean everyone felt that way, though

Can you even go back to year old threads? 

Sometimes, in this forum, people act as if we are talking about matters of science; it's just football, which has to with a lot of opinion.

But yeah, I bet Arians was doing a bit of coach speak, but also relating with fans, because they had every intention to be in the Super Bowl, just like the fans did. They still had a great season even with out Super Bowl win. 

To be fair, weren't the Cardinals a lot more dominant than the 2014 Colts? 

I've heard this argument before. That's it just a game & in the grand scheme of things the outcome doesn't really matter win or lose. That's nonsense. Then why do millions of fans watch NFL Sunday ticket annually, buy merchandise representing their favorite team, & spend some much time on this forum & other forums similar to it then? 

Okay, sure most fans don't strap on a helmet & tackle a WR or breakdown game film for 20 weeks between Sept thru January. That's true & yes a lot of people live vicariously thru other athletes they may watch on a regular basis. But, when fans invest a lot of time emotionally in a franchise's success, please don't trivialize it like it's just another game. It's not. Years of dedication following a team prove that it's not. 

26 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I think I get where SH is coming from. He's basically saying that he appreciates Bruce Arians because he is driven to win Championships because if you begin to soft soak losing then you will never achieve greatness as a team because mentally your players will begin to accept a close but not good enough mantra as your automatic fall back position like an automatic reflex. 

If you accept an honorable mentions standpoint, that's all your team will ever be psychologically. Enjoying the journey is like an "also ran" candidate in politics who loses. It means absolutely nothing.