Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

brock osweiler

bap1331

No one is talking about him. If peyton doesn't score in the first half, do you think osweiler will replace him? It's the super bowl and can't take the risk of blowouts. 

It would be a good idea I believe because the panthers prepared for peyton, not osweiler, it would have Carolina pooping in their pants.

If it's say...17-0 at halftime and Denver's offense just isn't working...what happens?

Personally I wouldn't expect them to take Peyton out regardless, if for no other reason than this game already being all about his 'last hurrah' and to bench him would be...I dont know...mean. But at the same time I'm honestly curious what people think they would do if they are still close enough to strike in this game but it's clear Peyton just can't get them in the endzone. At what point would the Broncos have to make a decision between giving up the game to protect Peyton or making a run for it by benching him?

3 hours ago, bap1331 said:

No one is talking about him. If peyton doesn't score in the first half, do you think osweiler will replace him? It's the super bowl and can't take the risk of blowouts. 

It would be a good idea I believe because the panthers prepared for peyton, not osweiler, it would have Carolina pooping in their pants.

I think "pooping in their pants" vastly over states a Manning to Osweiler move.

Just now, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

What if Cam doesn't score in the first half? Do they take him out?

No. Of course not.

But that's not exactly the same thing now, is it. You're talking about the MVP of the league, but the discussion is based around how the Broncos would react to a 39 year old quarterback who most are describing as only able to be a 'game manager' at this point. 

It's an interesting question, really. And it's a lot easier to be a game manager if you are ahead. But when you're behind and have to actually go out and try to make plays to get back in it...well, what do the Broncos do if they're down?

8 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

No. Of course not.

But that's not exactly the same thing now, is it. You're talking about the MVP of the league, but the discussion is based around how the Broncos would react to a 39 year old quarterback who most are describing as only able to be a 'game manager' at this point. 

It's an interesting question, really. And it's a lot easier to be a game manager if you are ahead. But when you're behind and have to actually go out and try to make plays to get back in it...well, what do the Broncos do if they're down?

That's the difference between you and me and most other Patriots fans and what has been the difference all along since the season started. As in I think Peyton could bring the Broncos back if they fall behind. He isn't just a game manager, he is healthy now and it is Peyton Manning. You Patriots fans treat him like he is Trent Dilfer.

3 hours ago, bap1331 said:

Really? With a 15-1 record and a put up of 49 points on Arizona I doubt they would be pooping in their pants.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That's the difference between you and me and most other Patriots fans and what has been the difference all along since the season started. As in I think Peyton could bring the Broncos back if they fall behind. He isn't just a game manager, he is healthy now and it is Peyton Manning. You Patriots fans treat him like he is Trent Dilfer.

You yourself have posted responses saying that he just needs to manage the game and not turn the ball over. That he doesn't have to make good plays he just has to not make bad ones. But that isn't what we are talking about. If the Broncos get down early, THAT won't work. He will have to make plays. And I like your confidence but really...point to one single instance where he has shown he can do that?

Granted, I've been wrong about a lot through this whole thing, but you can't disagree that he hasn't shown us that he can bring them back. You believe he can and that's great. Really it is...you've believed that from the start and haven't wavered. But in reality, is there something that you can actually point to that gives you that confidence?

5 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

You yourself have posted responses saying that he just needs to manage the game and not turn the ball over. That he doesn't have to make good plays he just has to not make bad ones. But that isn't what we are talking about. If the Broncos get down early, THAT won't work. He will have to make plays. And I like your confidence but really...point to one single instance where he has shown he can do that?

Granted, I've been wrong about a lot through this whole thing, but you can't disagree that he hasn't shown us that he can bring them back. You believe he can and that's great. Really it is...you've believed that from the start and haven't wavered. But in reality, is there something that you can actually point to that gives you that confidence?

San Diego game but I will say SD stunk this year haha 

@dynasty13  on the flip side we have a 5 time league MVP, who was hurt most of the season.  He's been fine the past 3 weeks.  I know you all said he couldn't throw TD's anymore and then he threw 2  against your team . I know you all said he was a turnover machine, and yet, no turnovers on  him this playoff season at all.

I think alot is going to depend on Denver's defense and if they can continue as they have all year. If so, it will be a close game.

Call him a game manager if you want.  He managed the game against the Pats just fine. 

I have supreme confidence in Peyton. He's been there and knows how to win. After beating the Patriots when they had Gronk and Edleman there is no doubt in mind they can beat Carolina. 2 years ago Denver beat an injured Patriots team that didn't have Gronk. Denver's Defense didn't have Von Miller, Talib, or Ware in that SB year. Seattle's Defense is much better than Carolina's is. The numbers may not show it but that Seattle Defense was maybe Top 5 of all-time?

1 hour ago, dynasty13 said:

If it's say...17-0 at halftime and Denver's offense just isn't working...what happens?

Personally I wouldn't expect them to take Peyton out regardless, if for no other reason than this game already being all about his 'last hurrah' and to bench him would be...I dont know...mean. But at the same time I'm honestly curious what people think they would do if they are still close enough to strike in this game but it's clear Peyton just can't get them in the endzone. At what point would the Broncos have to make a decision between giving up the game to protect Peyton or making a run for it by benching him?

Kinda like how Brady couldn't against the Broncos for most of the game?

5 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

@dynasty13  on the flip side we have a 5 time league MVP, who was hurt most of the season.  He's been fine the past 3 weeks.  I know you all said he couldn't throw TD's anymore and then he threw 2  against your team . I know you all said he was a turnover machine, and yet, no turnovers on  him this playoff season at all.

I think alot is going to depend on Denver's defense and if they can continue as they have all year. If so, it will be a close game.

Call him a game manager if you want.  He managed the game against the Pats just fine. 

Why the deflection? Colts fans are the ones calling him a game manager. I guess that's the narrative except when the question is posed of whether or not he can bring the Broncos back if they get down?

In regards to your comments about the Patriots game, as I alluded to in my posts immediately following the game, he threw 2 quick touchdowns in the first 16 minutes of the game...and then nothing from that point on. Denver's offense had a total of 78 yards in the 2nd half. He was just as 'unimpressive' in the 2nd half of the Steelers game. THAT's why I think the question posed is so interesting...IF the Broncos get down, given Peyton's inability to really throw the ball much at all in the 2nd half of each game since he's been back...why is it unreasonable to wonder whether or not the Broncos will look at other options if they need some quick strikes?

4 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I don't think you replace Manning in a SB game unless it's over and in the 4th quarter.

I'm not a die hard Peyton fan but from what I've seen out of Osweiler. A 70% Manning is better than a 100% Osweiler!

Don't forget that it was Brock that got them the number 1 seed not peyton manning.

5 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

Why the deflection? Colts fans are the ones calling him a game manager. I guess that's the narrative except when the question is posed of whether or not he can bring the Broncos back if they get down?

In regards to your comments about the Patriots game, as I alluded to in my posts immediately following the game, he threw 2 quick touchdowns in the first 16 minutes of the game...and then nothing from that point on. Denver's offense had a total of 78 yards in the 2nd half. He was just as 'unimpressive' in the 2nd half of the Steelers game. THAT's why I think the question posed is so interesting...IF the Broncos get down, given Peyton's inability to really throw the ball much at all in the 2nd half of each game since he's been back...why is it unreasonable to wonder whether or not the Broncos will look at other options if they need some quick strikes?

Its not if it looks like a blowout in the second half I would put Brock in on the spot.

4 hours ago, bap1331 said:

No. Peyton will have a very long leash. Osweiler is certainly nothing special.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have supreme confidence in Peyton. He's been there and knows how to win. After beating the Patriots when they had Gronk and Edleman there is no doubt in mind they can beat Carolina. 2 years ago Denver beat an injured Patriots team that didn't have Gronk. Denver's Defense didn't have Von Miller, Talib, or Ware in that SB year. Seattle's Defense is much better than Carolina's is. The numbers may not show it but that Seattle Defense was maybe Top 5 of all-time?

You're not really pointing to a specific instance where he was able to do what you claim he'll be able to do though. You're saying that he will no doubt be able to lead the Broncos back if they get down early...yet there is zero examples since he's come back that shows he can and the only reason you can seem to give of why you believe that is 'he's been there before'...'he's healthy now'. 

Look...I've already said it...I admire your confidence and maybe he can? The fact is that it remains to be seen. But simply saying 'i know he can because he's Peyton Manning' is kind of a cop out. This isn't the Peyton Manning that we know...he has to play differently now and in reality, we haven't seen him have to come from behind yet so the only reason to think he can is...well....hope that he can. There's quite literally zero evidence that one can reference to show that he's capable of it.

That's all I was saying...I'd like to see him win too and ill root for Denver this weekend. I just don't think it's that unreasonable to wonder what the Broncos might do should they face that situation.

2 minutes ago, Live and let live said:

How do you figure that? Manning was 7-2 and came in and won the San Diego game when Brock couldn't score. They were 5-2 with Brock and that includes giving him the game Peyton rescued.

Thanks you took the words right out of my mouth. :thmup:

7 minutes ago, Live and let live said:

How do you figure that? Manning was 7-2 and came in and won the San Diego game when Brock couldn't score. They were 5-2 with Brock and that includes giving him the game Peyton rescued.

I love how people say Peyton 'rescued' the Broncos. That's revisionist history at its best!

People forget...Denver was WINNING....then CJ Anderson fumbles in San Diego territory, Chargers go 30-something yards to score and Brock never sees the field again.

15 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Don't forget that it was Brock that got them the number 1 seed not peyton manning.

Peyton and the #1 defense in the league got them the #1 seed. Thank goodness for Denver Peyton came in to save them in the SD game when Osweiler couldn't move the offense at all! 

10 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

I love how people say Peyton 'rescued' the Broncos. That's revisionist history at its best!

People forget...Denver was WINNING....then CJ Anderson fumbles in San Diego territory, Chargers go 30-something yards to score and Brock never sees the field again.

I would say it was a definite rescue. Brock would not have score on four of five possessions in the second half. He consistently showed over several games that he could not get the ball into the end zone. Those are the reason that Brock never saw the field again and he might not get their next year either. He isn't getting into the SB unless Peyton is injured.

5 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

Peyton and the #1 defense in the league got them the #1 seed. Thank goodness for Denver Peyton came in to save them in the SD game when Osweiler couldn't move the offense at all! 

Thank God is right. Peyton was the only one that could keep the Pats out of the SB again. We are just not ready yet but give Andrew another 2 or 3 years, we will get it right IMO.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thank God is right. Peyton was the only one that could keep the Pats out of the SB again. We are just not ready yet but give Andrew another 2 or 3 years, we will get it right IMO.

I do not think that Andrew Luck should ever even be mentioned in a post with Peyton Manning. So far, he has shown nothing that indicates that he is any better now than when he arrived from Stanford. I look for more regression from him and I think he has taken and will take enough punishment to have a very short career. I hope I am wrong about all of that but I doubt that I am. I am just not sold on Andrew Luck as many seem to be.

4 minutes ago, Live and let live said:

I do not think that Andrew Luck should ever even be mentioned in a post with Peyton Manning. So far, he has shown nothing that indicates that he is any better now than when he arrived from Stanford. I look for more regression from him and I think he has taken and will take enough punishment to have a very short career. I hope I am wrong about all of that but I doubt that I am. I am just not sold on Andrew Luck as many seem to be.

Have patience my friend. Lets see how next season goes. Andrew is already Good and has proved it. Can he be Great? Nobody knows the true answer but I think he can. He was playing injured this season.

3 minutes ago, Live and let live said:

Throwing out this year because of injuries:

>Increase in YPA every year

>Increase in comp% every year

>Increase in passer rating every year

>Increase in TD% every year

>advances further in the playoffs every year

There is the reply you were so desperately looking for. 

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Throwing out this year because of injuries:

>Increase in YPA every year

>Increase in comp% every year

>Increase in passer rating every year

>Increase in TD% every year

>advances further in the playoffs every year

There is the reply you were so desperately looking for. 

Thank you. We'll see how he does next year.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I fully expect us to be 11-5 again next season but winning a SB, not sure yet. I need to see how the Draft goes and Free Agency.

I don't think the Colts get close to 11-5. The South is catching up with them and they win less that 50% outside of that division. I could see them 3-3 in the South next year and that makes 11-5 just about impossible.

1 hour ago, dynasty13 said:

I don't think I was deflecting.  I thought I was responding to a few comments. :dunno:

To answer your question....No it  is not unreasonable to consider such a situation.    None of us know what will happen any Given Sunday, however I only see him being pulled IF he is hurt.   

I will say,  I think Elway and Kubiak have a better handle on all  of this than those of us peons that post on message boards do.   They seem to have complete confidence in Peyton right now, and so do I.  

They didn't have that confidence earlier in the season, with good reason, and they pulled him and put Brock in, but it was always with the understanding that when Peyton got healthy he would again be the starter.  Both seem to think he is healthy enough now and  can help guide the team to the :lombardi: .   

Of course, I hope they get the job done.

2 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

I don't think I was deflecting.  I thought I was responding to a few comments. :dunno:

To answer your question....No it  is not unreasonable to consider such a situation.    None of us know what will happen any Given Sunday.   

I will say,  I think Elway and Kubiak have a better handle on all  of this than those of us peons that post on message boards do.   They seem to have complete confidence in Peyton right now, and so do I.  

They didn't have that confidence earlier in the season, with good reason, and they pulled him and put Brock in, but it was always with the understanding that when Peyton got healthy he would again be the starter.  Both seem to think he is healthy enough now and  can help guide the team to the :lombardi: .   

Of course, I hope they get the job done.

To be blunt Patriots fans are crushed that Tommy lost to Peyton Dilfer when Tommy had his full receiving core in Gronk, Edleman, Amendola so they are looking for anything like HGH, or if he wins he was nothing but a game manager, etc.. Blah blah blah. I knew Denver and Peyton would be here. I wish the hell I could've bet on these games in Vegas but I don't gamble :-)

46 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

And they were losing when Peyton Manning came in, what's your point?  He was still instrumental in the win.  

11 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

And they were losing when Peyton Manning came in, what's your point?  He was still instrumental in the win.  

Some people fail to see that the team scored on all 4 drives after Peyton came in the game.  

Just because HE didn't throw the "winning TD"   does not mean he wasn't instrumental in the Win.  I agree with you  that he was Very Instrumental in  that Win.