Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the 18th pick of the 2016 NFL draft the colts select.......

I think it will be Jack Conklin if Jaylon Smith is already taken. there are those that wanna also look at noah spence in the first, but I think its a risk to take him in the first. elliot could be interesting, but I think the cowboys will trade back and get him before us. I also think it depends what we do in FA rather we address the LB or OLINE more. freeman is a FA and cutting jackson does save 5m, while reitz will be 31 to start the season and imo is a better guard then tackle. If I had to pick, I would take smith in a heart beat. smith is a top 5 talent hands down and imo a once in a generation type of player. 

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Emmanuel Ogbah, Ezekiel Elliott, or Shawn Oakman....We can address O-Line in free agency. ..We need to go all defense with exception of running back, we still need a dynamic rb, and have for years....

ogbah I do like. I dont know much about oakman

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

ogbah I do like. I dont know much about oakman

I'm in the minority with Oakman, I just love his ceiling,  in a perfect world he will be available in 2nd, but I think his stock will rise...He has been double and triple teamed all year so stats are down...Had 2 sacks in Senior Bowl...Ogbah is a can't miss imo, less risk than Oakman, I hope we get both...I won't be sad if we get Elliot though, most NFL ready , complete back available. ...I see a lot of Edgerrin James in him...

4 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I'm in the minority with Oakman, I just love his ceiling,  in a perfect world he will be available in 2nd, but I think his stock will raise...He has been double and triple teamed all year so stats are down...Had 2 sacks in Senior Bowl...Ogbah is a can't miss imo, less risk than Oakman, I hope we get both...I won't be sad if we get Elliot though, most NFL ready , complete back available. ...I see a lot of Edgerrin James in him...

oakman ill have to watch tape on. is he like noah spence? ogbah power and explosiveness is what I love about him, but there are some concerns like he over-pursuits which takes him completely out of the play, hes average when it comes to run support, and he sometimes doesnt finish plays. i really do believe the cowboys will trade back to get elliot 

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

oakman ill have to watch tape on. is he like noah spence? ogbah power and explosiveness is what I love about him, but there are some concerns like he over-pursuits which takes him completely out of the play, hes average when it comes to run support, and he sometimes doesnt finish plays. i really do believe the cowboys will trade back to get elliot 

Oakman is extremely powerful and athletic,  drives tackles 5 yds deep, but he is raw and can look stiff at times...Concerns over his motor and attitude hurt him...I think in the right culture he could be a great player, but there is risk...

9 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Oakman is extremely powerful and athletic,  drives tackles 5 yds deep, but he is raw and can look stiff at times...Concerns over his motor and attitude hurt him...I think in the right culture he could be a great player, but there is risk...

I only watched a quick highlight just to get an idea of him and hes seem to rely on his power too much. doesnt seem to have any other moves to go to when it fails and he gives up on plays if its not run on his side. 

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I only watched a quick highlight just to get an idea of him and hes seem to rely on his power too much. doesnt seem to have any other moves to go to when it fails and he gives up on plays if its not run on his side. 

He has ELITE power though...I agree he is definitely raw and needs to develop more moves...He would have a great teacher in Mathis...What I really like is he is a guy who can be moved around all over the line like Watt is used. ...I think him and Ogbah would compliment each other perfectly. ...

51 minutes ago, CR91 said:

There's nothing special about him. He's big and will probably run a nice 40 but he's stiff and has no awarness. 

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

I'm in the minority with Oakman, I just love his ceiling,  in a perfect world he will be available in 2nd, but I think his stock will rise...He has been double and triple teamed all year so stats are down...Had 2 sacks in Senior Bowl...Ogbah is a can't miss imo, less risk than Oakman, I hope we get both...I won't be sad if we get Elliot though, most NFL ready , complete back available. ...I see a lot of Edgerrin James in him...

I doubt teams double teamed him ever. Maybe his teammate Billings. He's all show and no go. 

19 minutes ago, Dustin said:

There's nothing special about him. He's big and will probably run a nice 40 but he's stiff and has no awarness. 

I did notice that. a very raw prospect. id give him a 4th round grade from talent alone, but because teams love size and speed, he'll be gone by late second early third

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Shawn Oakman is a very raw, 6'7 or 6'8 DE. He's not going to be an EDGE guy IMO. He may play DE in a 4-3, but in a 3-4 scheme he'll be a DE. And I'm not a fan personally. To me I see a 3rd rounder or later.

4 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I think it will be one of the following....Jaylon Smith, Noah Spence, Emmanuel Ogbah, Leonard Floyd, Makenzie Alexander, Cody Whitehair, or yes. As bad as I hate to say it. Elliott. Lets just hope he's gone before we pick.

im maybe in the minority, but I have no interest in floyd. 

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

Shawn Oakman is a very raw, 6'7 or 6'8 DE. He's not going to be an EDGE guy IMO. He may play DE in a 4-3, but in a 3-4 scheme he'll be a DE. And I'm not a fan personally. To me I see a 3rd rounder or later.

agreed

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

im maybe in the minority, but I have no interest in floyd. 

I can understand that, but he didn't get to rush the QB as much as he should have at Georgia. They moved him around a lot. He is undersized too at just 230 something. The thing is, if he puts on some weight he has the upside to possibly turn out to be the best pass rusher in this class. Its kind of a gamble, but the talent is definitely there with Floyd.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

I can understand that, but he didn't get to rush the QB as much as he should have at Georgia. They moved him around a lot. He is undersized too at just 230 something. The thing is, if he puts on some weight he has the upside to possibly turn out to be the best pass rusher in this class. Its kind of a gamble, but the talent is definitely there with Floyd.

im just not comfortable taking a gamble in this draft. we have a rare opportunity to be drafting in the middle rounds and we need to take advantage of it 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

They had no answer for him yesterday, I guess he got 2 sacks at Senior Bowl by accident, and he gets doubled all year long for no reason, whenever it's man on man he always wins...

51 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Something tells me that Floyd will show up at the combine heavier, and carry himself well like Beasley did last year. If Floyd does that his draft stock should rise to a top 20 pick easy.

As far as who we take at 18. I have a feeling we take Mackensie Alexander, CB Clemson

The only thing that could change this is if Alexander ends up burning up the combine.

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

They had no answer for him yesterday, I guess he got 2 sacks at Senior Bowl by accident, and he gets doubled all year long for no reason, whenever it's man on man he always wins...

Yesterday Oakman really only got 1 sack barely as it was on a broken play. His second sack was pretty much caused by Dadi Nicholas wrapping the QB up and not finishing the tackle forcing the QB back to Oakman. Oakman was ran around the pocket wide, but the QB pretty much ran into him after evading the first tackle.

Oakman is pure specimen of a football player (besides skipping leg day). People believe he has power coming off of the edge I disagree slightly. While he is powerful I believe he uses his height and speed as leverage that makes him look more powerful than he actually is. Oakman is a raw athlete to work with, but he was pretty much shut out this year against single blockers while his teammate Billings ate up the double teams. He had a pretty big 2014 season, but failed to live up to expectations this year. I believe if he declared for the draft last year he would of been a lock in the 1st round. This year I see him as a early 3rd based off of potential, athleticism, and his 2014 tape.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

2 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

Yesterday Oakman really only got 1 sack barely as it was on a broken play. His second sack was pretty much caused by Dadi Nicholas wrapping the QB up and not finishing the tackle forcing the QB back to Oakman. Oakman was ran around the pocket wide, but the QB pretty much ran into him after evading the first tackle.

Oakman is pure specimen of a football player (besides skipping leg day). People believe he has power coming off of the edge I disagree slightly. While he is powerful I believe he uses his height and speed as leverage that makes him look more powerful than he actually is. Oakman is a raw athlete to work with, but he was pretty much shut out this year against single blockers while his teammate Billings ate up the double teams. He had a pretty big 2014 season, but failed to live up to expectations this year. I believe if he declared for the draft last year he would of been a lock in the 1st round. This year I see him as a early 3rd based off of potential, athleticism, and his 2014 tape.

I agree he had a down year for whatever reason...I watched him last year a lot and he was unstoppable...I'm hoping for that Oakman, maybe we get him in 2nd...I just think he has major potential if we get him focused and coached right...

33 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I agree he had a down year for whatever reason...I watched him last year a lot and he was unstoppable...I'm hoping for that Oakman, maybe we get him in 2nd...I just think he has major potential if we get him focused and coached right...

I plan on watching more tape on him to try to compare 2014 to 2015 and try to connect the dots. I would rather use a 3rd to get him than draft him in the 2nd. I personally am not interested in him. He does have major potential though, but he is really raw. He reminds me of Arik Armstead from Oregon last year, really athletic, and shows flashes. However, he is not consistent with his production IMO. The difference between him being considered a 3rd round pick compared to Armstead's 1st round status is number one he is more inconsistent, and two is the amount of D-Line talent in this years draft. It is loaded with talent, pushing rawer more inconsistent players down teams draft boards.

51 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

With the 18th pick Indy selects Andrew Billings. Tremendous potential and unreal natural strength and power. 

billings is a beast no doubt, but our dline is already a strength. parry was really good last year and should be even better this year

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

billings is a beast no doubt, but our dline is already a strength. parry was really good last year and should be even better this year

Parry held his own but he's not a stud. And our line wasn't that great. No pressure on the QB(the OLBs had a lot to do with this as well) and we were gouged in the run game. With Anderson in the lineup we were pretty good but I think there is a lot of room for improvement. 

9 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Parry held his own but he's not a stud. And our line wasn't that great. No pressure on the QB(the OLBs had a lot to do with this as well) and we were gouged in the run game. With Anderson in the lineup we were pretty good but I think there is a lot of room for improvement. 

looking at stats alone, yea we got gashed, but run defense wasnt that bad. if you watched games, youd see rbs were getting like 1 0 2 3 1 1 and i was saying to myself and if only the offense can match, people would see how better the defense is

I agree with others who feel what happens in free agency will help determine this pick.  I fully expect us to get a staring offensive lineman and a new corner along with a linebacker who can cover TE's in free agency.  The draft is deep in a number of defensive positions of need.  If they do what I think they do in free agency then I would take Elliot in a heart beat.  He has been compared to Edge on some scouting services. A three down back who can do it all. They went for Trent because they want that bell cow.  I think they will do it if he is there.  If he is not there I think it will be Reggie Ragland from Alabama.  Free agency has to produce three new starters.  Our draft should produce at least two new starters.   Going to be fun!

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

im just not comfortable taking a gamble in this draft. we have a rare opportunity to be drafting in the middle rounds and we need to take advantage of it 

Think back to the comments that Grigson made about Dorsett when we drafted him. He talked about him being the best player on the board and having blue chip speed.

At the combine Floyd will probably weigh in at 243, run a 4.6 40, put up 19 reps on the bench press, and jump a 40" vertical. There isn't any GM that won't get excited about that. Grigson wouldn't pass on him.

Floyd is Aldon Smith 2.0 but without the off the field issues. Just hope the 49ers or Bears don't take him.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Think back to the comments that Grigson made about Dorsett when we drafted him. He talked about him being the best player on the board and having blue chip speed.

At the combine Floyd will probably weigh in at 243, run a 4.6 40, put up 19 reps on the bench press, and jump a 40" vertical. There isn't any GM that won't get excited about that. Grigson wouldn't pass on him.

Floyd is Aldon Smith 2.0 but without the off the field issues. Just hope the 49ers or Bears don't take him.

im not sold. combine results dont always translate to success. for me to take floyd, a number of players have to be off the board

23 minutes ago, CR91 said:

im not sold. combine results dont always translate to success. for me to take floyd, a number of players have to be off the board

Just for a contrasting opinion. What is it about Floyd that you don't like? There are a few other players that I would want more than Floyd at 18, but I wouldn't be mad if he is our pick. He is a versatile player that has experience rushing the QB and dropping into coverage both man and zone from the OLB and ILB position. He may be on the smaller side right now, but at the combine don't be surprised if he shows up at 245 and still tests good.

2 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

Just for a contrasting opinion. What is it about Floyd that you don't like? There are a few other players that I would want more than Floyd at 18, but I wouldn't be mad if he is our pick. He is a versatile player that has experience rushing the QB and dropping into coverage both man and zone from the OLB and ILB position. He may be on the smaller side right now, but at the combine don't be surprised if he shows up at 245 and still tests good.

hes not a natural pass rusher. hes just athletic. he actually reminds of mingo and how did that turn out for the browns. he hasnt a season where hes gotten more then 6.5 sacks. hes too small at his current weight. he has no pass rush moves or techniques

2 hours ago, SP_21 said:

Parry started off really good, but he hit the rookie wall I guess you could say. I think he'll be much improved next year and I think he's going to be our starting NT for the next several years. Getting Anderson back should give us a pretty good DL. And our young guys like McGill have tons of potential. But with all that said I still think we could afford to upgrade and sign a guy like Malik Jackson. He's a guy who can put pressure on the QB from the DL position and he plays the run very well too.

36 minutes ago, Solon said:

Taylor Decker, Jack Conklin or Leonard Floyd. My question about the draft is can our coaches develop these guys so they can reach their potential?

I am thinking it is a Big Ten OT in Taylor Decker or Jack Conklin. Maybe we trade down and take a chance on Noah Spence??? Not sure.