Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Free Agent tracker Player grades for this season

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

And he was top 5 in both 2012 and 2014. 

Why do you think his grade dropped so much this year? Receiving-wise I understand it, as he didn't get many targets at all, but his blocking grade dropped off a cliff. I would assume they were asking him to make significantly harder blocks, but there could be additional reasons.

I wish we could take a run at Vernon, but I'm not sure he's asked to drop in coverage much. Plus I don't think he's much of an edge setter (could be wrong about that last part though). He projected into a 3-4 coming out of college, but might be too late in the game to switch now. Risky proposition when you have to pay a top dollar contract just to find out.

9 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Why do you think his grade dropped so much this year? Receiving-wise I understand it, as he didn't get many targets at all, but his blocking grade dropped off a cliff. I would assume they were asking him to make significantly harder blocks, but there could be additional reasons.

He dropped like 20 lbs in the off-season. It probably took him a while to adjust to his new body type blocking wise.

And at one point the only one that wanted Richie Incognito last year was the Bills. Highest rated lineman on the list. Grigson maybe should have entertained the thought of him instead of 'That Guy" from the Eagles who didn't last very long before being cut.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

And no one mentioned that Freeman was 5th overall on the list.  

This list shows why I'm not a big fan of PFF player grades.  Allen was not as impressive this year as he was last year but he's also no where near as bad as this grade would indicate.  Toler performed worse this year than last year but he's not as bad as this grade would indicate.  A healthy Freeman is a good ILB, but Freeman was not healthy this year and he was not very good for a large part of the season.

18 hours ago, jet1968 said:

And at one point the only one that wanted Richie Incognito last year was the Bills. Highest rated lineman on the list. Grigson maybe should have entertained the thought of him instead of 'That Guy" from the Eagles who didn't last very long before being cut.

NFL teams are always wary of the risk of players who could cause problems in the locker room.  That's just being smart.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

NFL teams are always wary of the risk of players who could cause problems in the locker room.  That's just being smart.  

If he was a locker room problem then he could have been cut as easy as "that guy" from the Eagles.

2 hours ago, jet1968 said:

If he was a locker room problem then he could have been cut as easy as "that guy" from the Eagles.

Once the problem enters the locker room cutting that problem out doesn't necessarily make the locker room better.

They are often called locker room cancers for a reason.  And that's because the problem can spread to other members of the team.

On 1/21/2016 at 7:41 PM, OffensivelyPC said:

I wish we could take a run at Vernon, but I'm not sure he's asked to drop in coverage much. Plus I don't think he's much of an edge setter (could be wrong about that last part though). He projected into a 3-4 coming out of college, but might be too late in the game to switch now. Risky proposition when you have to pay a top dollar contract just to find out.

I also like Vernon, but he also makes me have doubts about him as well. Vernon is a player that one game he is an absolute stud, but the next game basically disappears. I believe he has the talent to be a good football player, but the consistency isn't there IMO. I sometimes wonder if it is a coaching issue with him, and if placed in the right system with the right coaching he could be even better.

41 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

I also like Vernon, but he also makes me have doubts about him as well. Vernon is a player that one game he is an absolute stud, but the next game basically disappears. I believe he has the talent to be a good football player, but the consistency isn't there IMO. I sometimes wonder if it is a coaching issue with him, and if placed in the right system with the right coaching he could be even better.

That was my issue with Bruce Irvin.  For Vernon, I could see it being a schematic/matchup issue.  I'm not able to watch him frequently enough to know.  He was nowhere to be found against us though.  I figured it was just an off game given his performance in others.