Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One week from Black Monday

RockThatBlue

What teams will be firing their coaches in your opinions?

My guesses:

San Fran

San Diego

Detroit (might not happen on black Monday but the new GM might not wanna keep him)

Philadelphia

Cleveland

Miami

Indianapolis

Tennessee

I'm torn on Jacksonville. They kept him the last two years at 3-13. Not sure if he's gone or not.

Feel free to add or subtract from my list. Hope you all have a great new years! :)

5 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

My guesses:

San Fran

San Diego

Detroit (might not happen on black Monday but the new GM might not wanna keep him)

Philadelphia

Cleveland

Miami

Indianapolis

Feel free to add or subtract from my list. Hope you all have a great new years! :)

I doubt pettine or Tomsula go yet

I think we can all be pretty sure that Pagano will not be back after this season and I will be happy about that and they better take all the assistant coaches with him too. There isn't one aspect of this team that seemed to excel over the talent of a player or group at any position on this team. Oline hasn't blocked well, dline hasn't attacked and created havoc in most every game so far, wr are not high pointing or coming back to balls, lb's can't get off the field when it's 3rd and 50 because they don't make plays often enough. Cb's outside of Davis are below avg. suffice to say, our coaches haven't really coached up and put the guys in the positions to succeed. The pats have lost several key players all over the place and still chug along mostly. 

The he problem is, who do we bring in? It has to be an offensive minded coach who gets to choose his coordinators. His defensive coach has to be an aggressive caller that runs a 3-4 but gets creative to play hybrid tough play from a group of avg to just above because we all know you can't have too notch players at every spot. 

Teams that probably won't change coaches

Pats, Seahawks, Cardinals, Jets, Bills, Panthers, Packers, Texans, Bengals, Broncos, Steelers, Ravens, Chiefs, Raiders (I don't like JdR but they've been good enough this year), Washington, Eagles, Vikings, Bears, Falcons, Bucs. (There's always room for a surprise, like the Broncos last year, and other examples, and maybe someone surprise retires, but I think all those coaches are safe, barring significant developments. Cases can be made against those in italics.)

Teams that probably will change coaches

Titans, Dolphins (both have already moved to interims, so that's obvious)

Chargers (pretty sure McCoy is out)

Lions (Caldwell is a bad coach, and they're hiring a new GM)

Niners (made a bad hire, should go ahead and fix it now)

Colts (Pagano's contract is up, and all indications point to him being gone)

Browns (Pettine has routinely mishandled Manziel, and the locker room is fractured, and they've gotten worse this season)

Should but probably won't

Cowboys (Garrett gets his big extension, then shows to be incapable of surviving without his starter; yes, Weeden is bad, but he just put two pretty good games together; Garrett is safe because he just got a new deal and he'll get the benefit of the doubt due to Romo and Bryant being hurt, but he's probably just not a very good coach)

Rams (Fisher wants to stay, and management just said they want him to stay, but he's entirely underwhelming, aside from the annual Seahawks win)

Who knows?

Jaguars (management was prepared for a long build, and it's been three years with Bradley now, but they're actually showing promise now)

Giants (I think it's long overdue, but 2 rings in 8 years for a franchise that values stability makes this questionable)

Saints (Payton recently said he plans to be in NO for a while, but they could be due for an overhaul, especially if they change GMs)

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I think we can all be pretty sure that Pagano will not be back after this season and I will be happy about that and they better take all the assistant coaches with him too. There isn't one aspect of this team that seemed to excel over the talent of a player or group at any position on this team. Oline hasn't blocked well, dline hasn't attacked and created havoc in most every game so far, wr are not high pointing or coming back to balls, lb's can't get off the field when it's 3rd and 50 because they don't make plays often enough. Cb's outside of Davis are below avg. suffice to say, our coaches haven't really coached up and put the guys in the positions to succeed. The pats have lost several key players all over the place and still chug along mostly. 

The he problem is, who do we bring in? It has to be an offensive minded coach who gets to choose his coordinators. His defensive coach has to be an aggressive caller that runs a 3-4 but gets creative to play hybrid tough play from a group of avg to just above because we all know you can't have too notch players at every spot. 

Why does it have to be an offensive guy?

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Pats, Seahawks, Cardinals, Jets, Bills, Panthers, Packers, Texans, Bengals, Broncos, Steelers, Ravens, Chiefs, Raiders (I don't like JdR but they've been good enough this year), Washington, Eagles, Vikings, Bears, Falcons, Bucs. (There's always room for a surprise, like the Broncos last year, and other examples, and maybe someone surprise retires, but I think all those coaches are safe, barring significant developments. Cases can be made against those in italics.)

Who knows?

Jaguars (management was prepared for a long build, and it's been three years with Bradley now, but they're actually showing promise now)

What case can be made to make a coaching change in Atlanta? I don't get it.

As for the Jags,  I think it would be counterproductive to make a coaching change now that they are showing so much progress. They should build on what they have done this year.

Bad organizations (Browns, Raiders, Titans, Dolphins, etc.) fail to see the value in maintaining continuity despite failures. Look at Carolina.  Everyone was calling for Ron Rivera's firing a few years ago. They fired the GM but retained Rivera and look where they are now. So, teams like the Lions and the Browns should not fire their coaches. It has only been two years --  give them another year. 

9 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

My guesses:

San Fran

San Diego

Philadelphia

Cleveland

Miami

Indianapolis

Tennessee

I'm torn on Jacksonville. They kept him the last two years at 3-13. Not sure if he's gone or not.

I think the Giants will be changing coaches. Coughlin may not be fired but I don't think he is coming back. 

If anyone should be fired it probably should be Jeff Fisher. He has not done much with the Rams despite having a lot of talent.

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

What case can be made to make a coaching change in Atlanta? I don't get it.

As for the Jags,  I think it would be counterproductive to make a coaching change now that they are showing so much progress. They should build on what they have done this year.

Bad organizations (Browns, Raiders, Titans, Dolphins, etc.) fail to see the value in maintaining continuity despite failures. Look at Carolina.  Everyone was calling for Ron Rivera's firing a few years ago. They fired the GM but retained Rivera and look where they are now. So, teams like the Lions and the Browns should not fire their coaches. It has only been two years --  give them another year. 

Whatever case I could make to fire Dan Quinn would be petty. But they haven't had a good year, and have actually gotten worse over the last couple months. He's not going anywhere.

I agree about continuity. But I don't agree with keeping bad coaches. Jim Caldwell is a bad coach. Same deal with the Niners, which you didn't mention. If you make a mistake, fix it. With the Lions changing their team president and their GM, Caldwell is likely out. I don't like the idea of the Browns switching coaches again, but Pettine's tenure has been kind of erratic. Maybe that's mostly about Manziel, but from a distance, it's hard to put any faith in him.

Rivera is an anomaly. He made major adjustments in his coaching style which had a direct impact on the outcome of games. The net effect was basically the same as hiring a new coach, without the turnover and instability. Long and short, he became a better coach, basically overnight. If Caldwell stops misusing timeouts and challenges, gets better at managing the clock, starts making in-game adjustments and stops being overly conservative, then there could be a similar result in Detroit. It's hard to believe any of that is going to happen, though.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Whatever case I could make to fire Dan Quinn would be petty. But they haven't had a good year, and have actually gotten worse over the last couple months. He's not going anywhere.

I agree about continuity. But I don't agree with keeping bad coaches. Jim Caldwell is a bad coach. Same deal with the Niners, which you didn't mention. If you make a mistake, fix it. With the Lions changing their team president and their GM, Caldwell is likely out. I don't like the idea of the Browns switching coaches again, but Pettine's tenure has been kind of erratic. Maybe that's mostly about Manziel, but from a distance, it's hard to put any faith in him.

Rivera is an anomaly. He made major adjustments in his coaching style which had a direct impact on the outcome of games. The net effect was basically the same as hiring a new coach, without the turnover and instability. Long and short, he became a better coach, basically overnight. If Caldwell stops misusing timeouts and challenges, gets better at managing the clock, starts making in-game adjustments and stops being overly conservative, then there could be a similar result in Detroit. It's hard to believe any of that is going to happen, though.

I don't know if I would call Rivera an anomaly. As with any professional,  he grew into his job, learned from his mistakes, and learned from what worked. At the same time, the team was building chemistry. They trust each other and they play loose. Mediocre players are playing at a high level. I attribute a lot of that to continuity and experience. I don't think they would be where they are had the owner fired Rivera after his disappointing second year (which is what the fans had been clamoring for) .

Despite how the Falcons have played down the stretch,  it would be ridiculous to fire the coach. That will not happen. 

As you can tell, I am not a proponent of firing coaches after one or two years. It is what perennial losers do.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't know if I would call Rivera an anomaly. As with any professional,  he grew into his job, learned from his mistakes, and learned from what worked. At the same time, the team was building chemistry. They trust each other and they play loose. Mediocre players are playing at a high level. I attribute a lot of that to continuity and experience. I don't think they would be where they are had the owner fired Rivera after his disappointing second year (which is what the fans had been clamoring for) .

Despite how the Falcons have played down the stretch,  it would be ridiculous to fire the coach. That will not happen. 

As you can tell, I am not a proponent of firing coaches after one or two years. It is what perennial losers do.

Good luck against the Packers. Eventhough I picked GB to go the SB before the season I will root for the Vikes Sunday because of you. It's always fun rooting for the underdog unless of course the Colts are favored in a game.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good luck against the Packers. Eventhough I picked GB to go the SB before the season I will root for the Vikes Sunday because of you. It's always fun rooting for the underdog unless of course the Colts are favored in a game.

Thank you. A few forum members here have told me the same. I appreciate it.

I read today that the Colts will be playing the Vikings in MN next year. If it is early in the season, I may travel to MN to attend that game. My cousin lives out there and said he will get me tickets to any game... I bet the Vikes will have your support then too. :P 

Speaking of coaching changes, do you want to retain Pagano?  Unless you are getting Sean Payton or someone with similar success,  I think it is best to keep Pagano. With Andrew coming back, the Colts should go back to winning double-digit games.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you. A few forum members here have told me the same. I appreciate it.

I read today that the Colts will be playing the Vikings in MN next year. If it is early in the season, I may travel to MN to attend that game. My cousin lives out there and said he will get me tickets to any game... I bet the Vikes will have your support then too. :P 

Speaking of coaching changes, do you want to retain Pagano?  Unless you are getting Sean Payton or someone with similar success,  I think it is best to keep Pagano. With Andrew coming back, the Colts should go back to winning double-digit games.

You should go to that game if you get a chance. I actually went and seen the Colts in Chicago in 2004 and Peyton tore them up. Had the time of my life haha Bears fans are diehard but treated me well. I like Chuck so I am mixed on getting rid of him. Unless we can get someone like Jim Harbaugh, maybe a Sean Payton or Cowher I would be real careful with this decision by Irsay.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You should go to that game if you get a chance. I actually went and seen the Colts in Chicago in 2004 and Peyton tore them up. Had the time of my life haha Bears fans are diehard but treated me well. I like Chuck so I am mixed on getting rid of him. Unless we can get someone like Jim Harbaugh, maybe a Sean Payton or Cowher I would be real careful with this decision by Irsay.

I went to the Colts-Giants game last year (11/3/14). I had a very good time but my friend and I left early because he, being a Giants fan, could not bear to watch his Giants taking a beating. I cannot imagine how he felt after Sunday's game. 

21 hours ago, BOTT said:

Why does it have to be an offensive guy?

The thought was we were going to get a defensive guy and become dominant on that side and just let Luck take over the offense and we would be ok. We need someone who can develop offensive game plans and utilize our prized strength, and that is Andrew Luck. A defensive coach wants to stop the run and run the ball because that's the football mentality. We need an offensive mind who can plan using offensive games to strengthen our defense just enough to hold games. But we have to score and do it often to win in the NFL these days. I feel that an offensive minded coach is better served to think this way and give the defense to a guy that is creative enough to work on his own plan while the offesnsive minded coach can say here is how I would exploit the defense your making if I were game planning around the colts defense and force tweaks in the plan. Just my opinion. 

On 12/28/2015 at 2:23 PM, jvan1973 said:

Giants. Maybe

St Louis. (Should happen,  probably won't)

Saints maybe

The Giants do need to move on from Coughlin IMO. He's not what he once was. Heck of a career though. And I think the Rams owner said they will keep Fisher. Ridiculous how overrated of a coach he is.

23 hours ago, Superman said:

Teams that probably will change coaches

Titans, Dolphins (both have already moved to interims, so that's obvious)

Chargers (pretty sure McCoy is out)

Lions (Caldwell is a bad coach, and they're hiring a new GM)

Niners (made a bad hire, should go ahead and fix it now)

Colts (Pagano's contract is up, and all indications point to him being gone)

Browns (Pettine has routinely mishandled Manziel, and the locker room is fractured, and they've gotten worse this season)

Should but probably won't

Cowboys (Garrett gets his big extension, then shows to be incapable of surviving without his starter; yes, Weeden is bad, but he just put two pretty good games together; Garrett is safe because he just got a new deal and he'll get the benefit of the doubt due to Romo and Bryant being hurt, but he's probably just not a very good coach)

Rams (Fisher wants to stay, and management just said they want him to stay, but he's entirely underwhelming, aside from the annual Seahawks win)

Who knows?

Giants (I think it's long overdue, but 2 rings in 8 years for a franchise that values stability makes this questionable)

Saints (Payton recently said he plans to be in NO for a while, but they could be due for an overhaul, especially if they change GMs)

Saw something earlier saying the Jags will keep Bradley

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I really don't understand the motivation to fire a recently hired coach.  Those coaches were hired because the team was bad before they got there, and it takes time to build back a roster.

Doesn't mean a guy can't show himself to be a bad coach. It's not that he doesn't turn the team around overnight. It's more that it's obvious he's not the guy you hoped he was. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Doesn't mean a guy can't show himself to be a bad coach. It's not that he doesn't turn the team around overnight. It's more that it's obvious he's not the guy you hoped he was. 

Yeah, Its just tough for us outsiders to justify firing a coach just because he has a poor record.  The insiders and players know a lot more behind the scenes, and those kinds of things contribute a lot to it.

I think Pettine and Bradley have been dealt tough situations and pulling the trigger on either of them would be premature.  Firing them could very well be the wrong move.

I wish Indy want in this conversation. Imo I don't know if there's an upgrade for either the head coach or GM....  we made our mistake in Luck's rookie year hiring rookies.  Why not stick with what we've groomed for 2 more years?   New OC and QBC (DC too) could change a ton...

Jags have something good building. If they fire bradley they'll be in losing years.

Atlanta has a dilemma. I'll just say that

Browns will implode over the entitled manziel. He will keep that franchise buried. 

Giants I believe need to let go. They need a new direction. 

Saints I'm torn on...  I want to say Payton can make the magic happen again but he needs a staff... 

Cowboys, rams, lions, and niners need to cut the waste but they won't. 

Bills like the Falcons have a dilemma.  Why is that defense regressing with supposedly a great defensive mind? 

Raiders won't but they should. They will be held back by JDR eventually.

Eagles... lol I don't know honestly.  Can Kelly grow into this?  I don't have the slightest...

7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Look at the Niners. Mike Singletary was the head coach for two and a half seasons (he first took over in the middle of the season). They determined he wasn't the right guy for the job and hired a good coach, Harbaugh. It doesn't have to take a long time for you to realize that your coach is bad.

The Falcons are a stretch, admittedly. I don't expect them to do anything.

As for Rivera, it's not that he grew into his job. He radically changed his MO, in the middle of the season. He went from being one of the most conservative coaches in the league to suddenly being "Riverboat Ron," pushing the envelope on fourth down, challenging more plays, etc. He was suddenly a drastically different coach, pushed there by the realization that if his team didn't make more plays and win more games, he was going to be fired. It didn't coincide with drafting Cam Newton or changing the GM or any other peripheral adjustment. Independent of any other factors, Rivera decided he needed to be more aggressive, allow his players to make plays, and trust them to do what they were being paid to do.

It was a complete 180, literally overnight. The Panthers lost a game in Week 2 in which Rivera kicked a FG on 4th and 1 late in the game, while up 3 points, and then they gave up a game winning TD on the next drive and lost by 1 point. The very next week, they had 4th and 1 from the Giants 2 yard line, and Rivera decided to go for it, which is something he had done less than almost every other coach in the league to that point in his career. They converted, scored a TD, and won 38-0. From that point, The Panthers went 8-9 on 4th down that season, and finished 12-4. It wasn't growth and development; it was an awakening.

I don't think that's typical in the NFL. Conservative coaches stay conservative. Coaches who don't see the risk/reward on 4th down and for two point conversions and risking timeouts usually never see it; even if they loosen up, they still seem to fumble those decisions more often than they get them right. 

I agree that the Panthers wouldn't be where they are now if they had fired Rivera when the fans wanted them to. But most stories with coaches on the edge after a year or two quickly end with the team backsliding and the coach being fired. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I really don't understand the motivation to fire a recently hired coach.  Those coaches were hired because the team was bad before they got there, and it takes time to build back a roster.

In the same sentiment, I don't understand how people talk about hiring a recently fired coach from another team.  

54 minutes ago, Superman said:

Look at the Niners. Mike Singletary was the head coach for two and a half seasons (he first took over in the middle of the season). They determined he wasn't the right guy for the job and hired a good coach, Harbaugh. It doesn't have to take a long time for you to realize that your coach is bad.

Mike Singletary's firing was justified. He had lost the team. The players looked undisciplined.  He could not keep his composure. He did not deserve to keep the job.

Firing someone like Gus Bradley is the type of move that I was referring to in my other replies to you.  He took over a team devoid of talent and with no QB. His record the first two years was very poor but that was expected. The team has shown much progress this year. Next year I expect them to contend for a playoff spot. If they go backwards or don't show improvement, then a coaching change may be justified next year. 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Mike Singletary's firing was justified. He had lost the team. The players looked undisciplined.  He could not keep his composure. He did not deserve to keep the job.

Firing someone like Gus Bradley is the type of move that I was referring to in my other replies to you.  He took over a team devoid of talent and with no QB. His record the first two years was very poor but that was expected. The team has shown much progress this year. Next year I expect them to contend for a playoff spot. If they go backwards or don't show improvement, then a coaching change may be justified next year. 

Bradley is safe. I thought he would be, but I think the Jags hanging 51 on the Colts and having a couple other big games has helped a lot. They get Fowler next year, and they have a good offensive core already. 

1 hour ago, Surge89 said:

I wish Indy want in this conversation. Imo I don't know if there's an upgrade for either the head coach or GM....  we made our mistake in Luck's rookie year hiring rookies.  Why not stick with what we've groomed for 2 more years?   New OC and QBC (DC too) could change a ton...

Jags have something good building. If they fire bradley they'll be in losing years.

Atlanta has a dilemma. I'll just say that

Browns will implode over the entitled manziel. He will keep that franchise buried. 

Giants I believe need to let go. They need a new direction. 

Saints I'm torn on...  I want to say Payton can make the magic happen again but he needs a staff... 

Cowboys, rams, lions, and niners need to cut the waste but they won't. 

Bills like the Falcons have a dilemma.  Why is that defense regressing with supposedly a great defensive mind? 

Raiders won't but they should. They will be held back by JDR eventually.

Eagles... lol I don't know honestly.  Can Kelly grow into this?  I don't have the slightest...

Lol! I guess that answers about Kelly!

As far as San Diego goes in this conversation I think we're 50/50 as to whether McCoy stays or is let go.

Reasons to keep him in my book:

1.  Ridiculous injuries - especially to our offensive line crippled our offense again this year.  Without our OLine coach working absolute miracles Rivers would be one of our 17 Injured Reserve players.

2.  We lost 8 games by one score and a bunch of them on the last play of the game.  We could easily have done much better than our record ended up.

3.  The front office really likes McCoy and may give him another year to succeed.

4.  With as much upheaval as there already is, I'm not sure they want to add one more gigantic layer of upheaval to the mess.  

I would like to see McCoy given one more year to prove himself.  Our D has stabilized and is a very young core now.  With our lousy record we have the potential of some very nice draft picks, so perhaps we can turn a corner.   

16 hours ago, King Colt said:

Isn't it great being a sports fan? You wake up one morning and your team has left town or your coach is out or your favorite player has changed uniforms. Yes, "loyalty for life" or is it "money first". I forget which one it true. 

If you don't want to be a fan then don't be a fan.

17 hours ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

As far as San Diego goes in this conversation I think we're 50/50 as to whether McCoy stays or is let go.

Reasons to keep him in my book:

1.  Ridiculous injuries - especially to our offensive line crippled our offense again this year.  Without our OLine coach working absolute miracles Rivers would be one of our 17 Injured Reserve players.

2.  We lost 8 games by one score and a bunch of them on the last play of the game.  We could easily have done much better than our record ended up.

3.  The front office really likes McCoy and may give him another year to succeed.

4.  With as much upheaval as there already is, I'm not sure they want to add one more gigantic layer of upheaval to the mess.  

I would like to see McCoy given one more year to prove himself.  Our D has stabilized and is a very young core now.  With our lousy record we have the potential of some very nice draft picks, so perhaps we can turn a corner.   

Speaking of the front office, is Telesco safe? 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Speaking of the front office, is Telesco safe? 

Yes, no talk at all of replacing him and he signed an extension before the season began.  They didn't sign McCoy to an extension and they kept Telesco's secret until the end of the year though McCoy says he knew about the contract.  

Other than a couple of bad free agent signings that he was quick to rectify, I think TT has done very well.  He's done exceptionally well with undrafted free agents.  Both he and McCoy are being hit by the horrifc injuries the past two years.  

39 minutes ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

Yes, no talk at all of replacing him and he signed an extension before the season began.  They didn't sign McCoy to an extension and they kept Telesco's secret until the end of the year though McCoy says he knew about the contract.  

Other than a couple of bad free agent signings that he was quick to rectify, I think TT has done very well.  He's done exceptionally well with undrafted free agents.  Both he and McCoy are being hit by the horrifc injuries the past two years.  

I think he'll regret drafting Melvin Gordon in the first round. It also seems like the skill positions have basically disappeared the last two years; who are your receivers? Inman has been okay in a few games. 

But yeah, biggest issue is injuries, for sure.