Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes: Myles Jack, UCLA LB

Had to watch a lot of clips of opposing QBs because DB.com doesn't have a lot of Jack cut-ups yet. Still, I've watched a good amount of UCLA and am pretty familiar with him. Might update it if I see something new moving forward. Again, using Dustin's newer format.

Jack is an elite athlete for a linebacker. Better coverage skills and ability than his former teammate, Eric Kendricks, who was probably the best coverage backer in the 2015 draft. Great versatility, great playmaking ability, plays with a lot of heart and attitude, rallies his team around him, does whatever the coaches ask (including playing running back), etc. Not great size for the NFL, but I believe you have to make room on your squad for potentially transcendent talent and ability, and I think Jack qualifies. If not for his injury, he's probably a top 10 pick. I doubt he'll work out at the Combine, but if he does and tests well, he probably gets that top 10 status back. If not, he should still be a first rounder, off his tape alone.

Size: Smallish for a linebacker, listed at 6'1", between 225-230 pounds, and that's probably generous, making him a tweener. (He's basically built like Clayton Geathers, but has about 10 pounds on him.) In the box, that just won't do, especially against power teams that will send linemen at him. Long enough arms, but he's still going to struggle to compete with TEs when the ball is in the air. 2/5

Athleticism: He's got it, definitely. He can obviously fly around the field, he can turn and run with receivers and sometimes looks like a good DB, good agility and flexibility, nice top end speed. Has excellent burst, acceleration, closing speed, change of direction, balance. In the run game, he can use his athleticism to somewhat make up for his size by getting around blockers. And he's strong and powerful. I hope he can test at the Combine, but really, his athleticism jumps off the screen when you watch him play. 10/10

Coverage ability: The bad is that he can take false steps and get grabby, likes to jar his man as he comes of out of his break, which is an automatic flag in the pros, and he can get beat by really good route running, which isn't nearly as prominent in college as it is at the next level. The good is that the technique is teachable, especially when the ability is clearly there. He can mirror without grabbing, he can flip his hips and run, he does a good job of taking the right angle when he's in off-man, and has good closing speed when the QB starts to throw, good vision and awareness in short area zone coverage, and he plays the ball very well when it's in the air, and ball skills are more than good enough to take the ball away. Athletically, he'll hold his own against backs, TEs and slot receivers, although he can probably be beat by jump balls to bigger receivers. 7/10, being a little tough because of his 'grabbiness'

Run game ability: I've already mentioned his less than ideal size, which he can't do anything about. But he has good power and drive which gives him a solid hand punch, I've seen him stack and sometimes shed, but mostly TEs. He's much better shooting gaps and getting around blockers, and he does a good job of taking the right gap and angle. His closing ability leads to lots of big plays and disruptiveness. The tendency to sidestep blockers isn't fundamentally sound for an ILB and will lead to some open running lanes, but it's also a way to make plays, which he often does. He'll get washed out of power runs, particularly if he winds up getting targeted by a pulling lineman. 6/10

Pass rushing ability: For all his athleticism, he doesn't necessarily bend the corner when he rushes from the outside, and a simple chuck will take him upfield past the QB. But blitzing the middle/inside is a different story, and once he gets even with a blocker he has the closing ability and balance to finish well. And he can get there fast. Timing is really good. 4/5

Play recognition: Sees screens well and seems to know where the blocker is going and how best to avoid him. Also knows where his help is, or isn't, and will play a blocker straight up to slow down the ball carrier at the right times. Good recognition in coverage, flows to the hole well in run support, scrapes well against option plays, and usually takes the perfect split on QB option plays, essentially defending two players at once (2:00 mark). Can be taken out of position by a good play action fake, or when in zone against a QB with good eyes. Usually guesses right in both phases. 8/10

Tackling: Great tackler. Arrives at the ball with authority and bad intentions, at times runs through ball carriers, and can separate them from the ball. Breaks down well in the open field, will drop hips, wrap and drive with good technique, can arm tackle even when blocked, generally gets his man. And then because of his burst and reckless abandon, he also makes tackles that he probably has no business making. Usually takes the right angle which enables him to bring the heat. Will sometimes overrun a play, but not often. 9/10

Overall: 46/60, solid first rounder.

Scheme fit: 4/5, the kind of player that you need to figure out how to deploy, because he's that good. Teams that believe they can keep him clean in the box (4-3 teams that will play him at Will, 3-4 teams that gap and/or have great NT play) will overlook his size and place him high on their boards as a linebacker. His tape and production are inarguable, and if you can't fit this kind of playmaker in your front, then you should reconfigure your front. He'll be compared to Kam Chancellor a lot, but Chancellor can't cover like him. He might be a safety prospect to some because of his size and coverage potential. 

I think Jack is bigger than most think.

His weight is all over the map, depending on which website you see.

But in the stories I've read I think he's in the 240 range now.

I think he'll be viewed as a linebacker and not a safety by most.    I'm sure it's possible that some teams might want him to play at 230 and be a jumbo safety.

But I suspect most will see him as a linebacker.

I think he's clearly a first round,  my only question is where in the first round.    Until he shows his knee is back I don't see him higher than 20 yet, possibly lower.

One last thought....    if Eric Kendricks (formerly of UCLA) can play linebacker at the NFL level at 235,  then I think Jack can play at the 235-240 level as well.

He would be a great addition if we can grab another DL(rotational) that can play 2-gap, i mean we are supposed to play 2-gap, we relay on our DL to take the OL and the LB to make plays.

I think he might be a late first rounder but probably an early one, but i would take him in the first on a heartbeat.

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't be upset if Grigson grabs Jack at #18. He is going to be a playmaker in the NFL. 

One man's "tweener" is another man's "Swiss army knife" (That just really sounds wrong for some reason, but you can see what I'm driving at). Players like Geathers and Jack are valuable because they can do more than a typical safety or linebacker. More guys like this can go a long way in disguising coverages and confusing QBs. 

Certainly ILB isn't as immediate a need as OLB or OL, but M.J. is a stud nonetheless. 

Not sure about this one. That injury concerns me.  They have Elliot going a few spots behind us.  I would take him first.  A three down back that reminds everybody of Edge.  You know they want that all purpose back.  They tried to get it with Trent.  They will get a starting offensive lineman  in free agency.  Elliot will complete the triplets so to speak.  They could add a defensive starter or  two in free agency as well. And the draft is very deep in our other positions of need.  If Elliot is there I would take him. If he goes before us then BPA in position of need.

I think Jack is real good, but I'm not certain if he'll still be there at 18.  If he is I'd say pull the trigger for sure.

NFL Comparison

NaVorro Bowman

Bottom Line

Upper echelon explosiveness with the desire, speed and aggression to find his way into play after play. While UCLA asked Jack to do a little bit of everything, an NFL team is more likely to simplify his tasks and set him into attack mode to maximize his outstanding physical traits. If he bounces back from the knee injury, Jack could become a high-­end talent early on in his career.

-Lance Zierlein

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/myles-jack?id=2555329

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I think Jack is real good, but I'm not certain if he'll still be there at 18.  If he is I'd say pull the trigger for sure.

NFL Comparison

NaVorro Bowman

Bottom Line

Upper echelon explosiveness with the desire, speed and aggression to find his way into play after play. While UCLA asked Jack to do a little bit of everything, an NFL team is more likely to simplify his tasks and set him into attack mode to maximize his outstanding physical traits. If he bounces back from the knee injury, Jack could become a high-­end talent early on in his career.

-Lance Zierlein

NFL.com grading has him pegged at a 7.5 making him the 2nd highest rated player behind only Laremy Tunsil.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/tracker?icampaign=draft-sub_nav_bar-drafteventpage-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-grade

I am starting to believe that getting him at 18 is beginning to be quite a stretch.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Not sure about this one. That injury concerns me.  

I have significant concerns about Jack's injury, as it's a torn meniscus. He maybe be ready to workout at the Combine -- five months after his surgery is plenty of time -- but a meniscus injury has long term implications, especially for a linebacker. Even though Smith's injury has a longer recovery time, once it's behind him, he's good. That's probably not the case with Myles Jack. Doctors will want to get a good look at his MRIs from before and after surgery, and at the Combine.

Here's the odd thing about Myles Jack.

He didn't play all that much.     There isn't a ton of tape on him.

Freshman year:    Part time linebacker,  part time running back.   

Sophomore year:    Full time linebacker,   part time running back.

Junior year:      Full time linebacker,   part time running back,  for only 2-3 games and then he got hurt and was done for the year.     He might've played 4 games,  but not more than that.   He got hurt in September.

When he got hurt and almost immediately declared, UCLA's head coach, Jim Mora, basically publicly said Jack was making a mistake.    That scouts would want to see a bigger body of work.    He said it wasn't clear that Jack would even go in the first round.    It appears Mora was way off the mark.

So,  for a guy who will clearly be drafted in the first round and probably drafted in the top-10 and possibly even drafted in the top-5 there just ins't that much tape.  

But he looks the part,  and what tape there is is very, very good.   He jumps off the screen.    He's not hard to find.     It's all just a bit odd because I think he was a 3-star recruit....   he might've been a 4-star, but I'm going off my memory and that's sometimes a bit iffy....

Strange projection.    It's not based on all that much,  but the scouting community loves him and he's going to get picked very very high.

One last thought:   Jack should be at the combine.   He should let doctors look at him.     He got cut back in October, so he's had plenty of time to heal.    I'm not saying he should work out,  that should be a private workout in April.   Not even do the UCLA pro-day.      But he should be at the combine to be measured and probed by doctors.    That's important.    To not be there would be a mistake.  I'm expecting him to be in Indy.....

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

One last thought:   Jack should be at the combine.   He should let doctors look at him.     He got cut back in October, so he's had plenty of time to heal.    I'm not saying he should work out,  that should be a private workout in April.   Not even do the UCLA pro-day.      But he should be at the combine to be measured and probed by doctors.    That's important.    To not be there would be a mistake.  I'm expecting him to be in Indy.....

It would be interesting to me if he wasn't ready to workout at the Combine. He said that was his target during interviews, but that's not a guarantee. 

I just found this: http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2015/09/26/examining-myles-jacks-recovery-timetable-after-his-meniscus-tear/

He had his meniscus stitched, not a meniscectomy. That's interesting, I didn't know that. So they repaired the tear, rather than removing a part of the meniscus, which is more typical. The doctor says a minority of tears can be repaired. It takes longer to heal, but it should have less long term implications. MRIs will reveal if there was any additional damage to the cartilage. Typical timeframe for a stitched meniscus is more like 4-6 months, and the doctor in that link says full speed / 100% might be 10 months, but could be 6 or 8 months. 

So maybe he won't workout at the Combine. That's four and a half months after surgery. Kind of ambitious. But with no setbacks, being ready for training camp shouldn't be an issue for him.

Here's Jack's early profile from NFL.com.     Its glowing!    Lots of raves, not many negatives.

Looks like he played more as a Freshman than I remembered.    Had a very good season. 

So,  there's a little more tape on him than I thought.

Hard to see him not being picked in the top-10........