Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam Newton...steals

csmopar

I hope he gets nailed for this. What he did is childish, unprofessional, immature, and lacking any amount of respect. It wasn't anything derogatory about him or the team. It was simply a fan being proud of boss team no matter where he lives.

Nfl fans can be pretty rude, remember our banner against brady saying 'cheaters exit here'? Brady didn't do anything about that. This us why noone is talking about the pagers or can Newton much. Because they are trash, regardless of their record.

Turns out he destroyed it afterwards too. I wouldn't take a payoff, take him to court and make those charges stick.

I aw today that the guy expected $500 for compensation as he claims that what it cost to make the sign (even if true, what * spends $500 on a sign that they get to bring to at most, one game per year).  The Panthers elected to recreate the sign and give that to him as compensation instead.  

Here's the ultimate irony of it all:  He either (a) doesn't bring the sign back or the Panthers staff just declines permission to bring the sign, which is within their right, and the guy never really gets to use the sign for the purpose in which he created it, or (b) he brings it back and it gets ripped down again, just to be replaced with another identical sign days/weeks later, effectively meaning the guy never really gets to use the sign for the purpose in which he created it.  

Talk about insult to injury...this guy got hosed and I find it incredibly hilarious. 

I hope he gets nailed for this. What he did is childish, unprofessional, immature, and lacking any amount of respect. It wasn't anything derogatory about him or the team. It was simply a fan being proud of boss team no matter where he lives.

Nfl fans can be pretty rude, remember our banner against brady saying 'cheaters exit here'? Brady didn't do anything about that. This us why noone is talking about the pagers or can Newton much. Because they are trash, regardless of their record.

Turns out he destroyed it afterwards too. I wouldn't take a payoff, take him to court and make those charges stick.

Exactly. Its on the same level as that opposing player years ago celebrating on the Dallas Cowboy Star in the center of the field then the other guy getting all worked up and knocking him off of it. I mean, I like my team and it brings out a natural "us or them" attitude, but some of the reactions can be borderline tribal.

I aw today that the guy expected $500 for compensation as he claims that what it cost to make the sign (even if true, what * spends $500 on a sign that they get to bring to at most, one game per year).  The Panthers elected to recreate the sign and give that to him as compensation instead.  

Here's the ultimate irony of it all:  He either (a) doesn't bring the sign back or the Panthers staff just declines permission to bring the sign, which is within their right, and the guy never really gets to use the sign for the purpose in which he created it, or (b) he brings it back and it gets ripped down again, just to be replaced with another identical sign days/weeks later, effectively meaning the guy never really gets to use the sign for the purpose in which he created it.  

Talk about insult to injury...this guy got hosed and I find it incredibly hilarious. 

As do I but the guy could sue, which he probably will and he'll win far more than the sign.....

Exactly. Its on the same level as that opposing player years ago celebrating on the Dallas Cowboy Star in the center of the field then the other guy getting all worked up and knocking him off of it. I mean, I like my team and it brings out a natural "us or them" attitude, but some of the reactions can be borderline tribal.

That would be Terrel Owens of the 49ers.

On what grounds?

These days, you never know.  I'm not a lawyer but if a woman can sue Mcdonalds and get 5 million because SHE spilt a cup of coffee on herself.......then this guy could sue for the destruction, willful destruction of his personal property.

And who's to say he doesnt hang it outside his house, or in his man room, or whatever else he wants to do with it.  Who are you to judge what a guy wants to spend his money on?  I find it disgusting that you can turn this around and blame it on the guy, rather than the person who stole it and destroyed it.  He did not commit any crimes because he was given permission by the stadium staff, so why is he now being socially trialed?

Too many people nowadays think they know whats best for others and how to live their lives.  Too bad most of these people can stand up to any kind of scrutiny themselves.

The stadium has a rule that signs promoting the visiting team are not allowed to be affixed or displayed on any surface as it was in this case, so that is the fans fault for bringing it in in the first place and using it in the manner he did. Shame on him for not following the rules that can be found on their website.

No banners or flags expressing support of visiting teams may be affixed to or displayed on any surface.

http://www.panthers.com/stadium/policies-information/banner-policy.html

The stadium has a rule that signs promoting the visiting team are not allowed to be affixed or displayed on any surface as it was in this case, so that is the fans fault for bringing it in in the first place and using it in the manner he did. Shame on him for not following the rules that can be found on their website.

http://www.panthers.com/stadium/policies-information/banner-policy.html

I'm guessing they have stadium staff to handle such things

I'm guessing they have stadium staff to handle such things

Yea it says

Stadium Management reserves the right to confiscate signs, banners and flags that are not in compliance with this policy or obstruct the view of others.

I think Cam Newton manages the Panthers offense, so he gets a pass here.

And who's to say he doesnt hang it outside his house, or in his man room, or whatever else he wants to do with it.  Who are you to judge what a guy wants to spend his money on?  I find it disgusting that you can turn this around and blame it on the guy, rather than the person who stole it and destroyed it.  He did not commit any crimes because he was given permission by the stadium staff, so why is he now being socially trialed?

Too many people nowadays think they know whats best for others and how to live their lives.  Too bad most of these people can stand up to any kind of scrutiny themselves.

You have taken this to a whole level or personal that it just didn't need to go.  I'm not making character judgments about the guy.  I think his $500 spent on a sign is a waste of money.  So what?  I'm sure people think that my collecting old Nintendo and Super Nintendo games is stupid.  Big deal.  So if you have ever paid $500 for a sign and my saying "what * would pay $500 for a sign" offended you, I'm sorry.  I'ts not personal, not in the least.  If I don't know you, my opinion shouldn't matter.  But to the extent our knowing one another on these forums does constitute an "acquaintance," it's not going to change my opinion of you.  You're still an OK guy by me, so let's not get so personal over something like this.  It's a sign.

All I'm doing is pointing out the irony of the story, the irony in which I find to be funny.  And let's not blow this out of proportion.  The guy's real harm here is not being able to hold up a sign (that he knows would rub the home team and their fans the wrong way) for a game.  His damages according to him are $500, so clearly he's not that distraught about it. It doesn't make what Cam did right, grant you.  I'm not defending anything they did if we're being serious about it.  But on the one hand, we have a player that committed destruction of personal property and on the other hand, a guy asking for the money it cost to make his sign (and hte team one up'ed it by saving him the work and giving him an identical sign).  He's not asking for the "pain and suffering" caused by not being able to hold up the sign.  So really, this is a nonstory, but an ironically funny one.

umm....theft...destruction of personal property.  At the least.

These days, you never know.  I'm not a lawyer but if a woman can sue Mcdonalds and get 5 million because SHE spilt a cup of coffee on herself.......then this guy could sue for the destruction, willful destruction of his personal property.

Goodness. 

It's a paper banner that can easily be replaced, and in fact has been. There's no justification for this going anywhere near the court system. 

You have taken this to a whole level or personal that it just didn't need to go. I'm not making character judgments about the guy. I think his $500 spent on a sign is a waste of money. So what? I'm sure people think that my collecting old Nintendo and Super Nintendo games is stupid. Big deal. So if you have ever paid $500 for a sign and my saying "what * would pay $500 for a sign" offended you, I'm sorry. I'ts not personal, not in the least. If I don't know you, my opinion shouldn't matter. But to the extent our knowing one another on these forums does constitute an "acquaintance," it's not going to change my opinion of you. You're still an OK guy by me, so let's not get so personal over something like this. It's a sign.

All I'm doing is pointing out the irony of the story, the irony in which I find to be funny. And let's not blow this out of proportion. The guy's real harm here is not being able to hold up a sign (that he knows would rub the home team and their fans the wrong way) for a game. His damages according to him are $500, so clearly he's not that distraught about it. It doesn't make what Cam did right, grant you. I'm not defending anything they did if we're being serious about it. But on the one hand, we have a player that committed destruction of personal property and on the other hand, a guy asking for the money it cost to make his sign (and hte team one up'ed it by saving him the work and giving him an identical sign). He's not asking for the "pain and suffering" caused by not being able to hold up the sign. So really, this is a nonstory, but an ironically funny one.

Your $500 * comment is completely personal and judgemental of the guy. If that is his thing, then that's it, if you don't like it or agree with it does not mean he's an * for it. It wasn't a personal offense to me, but I find it very annoying that people can so easily chastise this guy and judge his character, deeming him an *, just because they don't agree.

My other statements were more pointed towards the movement of society as a whole towards people deciding everything by court of public opinion, and in this instance against the person who did nothing wrong.

Goodness.

It's a paper banner that can easily be replaced, and in fact has been. There's no justification for this going anywhere near the court system.

It is if he wanted to pursue it. Hoaxer he settled out of court. It wasn't paper either.

There is plenty justification. He took the man's property and destroyed it. To some people, $500 is quite a bit of money. It is in fact grand theft in the third degree.

So regardless of what your opinion is about it, it's the law. Sorry, those silly laws get in the way of people doing what they want.

Your $500 * comment is completely personal and judgemental of the guy. If that is his thing, then that's it, if you don't like it or agree with it does not mean he's an * for it. It wasn't a personal offense to me, but I find it very annoying that people can so easily chastise this guy and judge his character, deeming him an *, just because they don't agree.

My other statements were more pointed towards the movement of society as a whole towards people deciding everything by court of public opinion, and in this instance against the person who did nothing wrong.

Well maybe that's just not something I'd take personally, I guess.  I certainly don't see it as a judgment of his character. Maybe I should have called it an "*ic use of money?"  His one decision to spend that kind of money on a sign would never be something that I'd judge his entire character for.  If it was that he used that sign to strangle someone to death, it'd be different.  But if his thing is to spend money on making signs, great.  I'm glad he has a thing, and I'm sure he did it with friends and/or family which I'm sure adds to the personal flare.  But everyone has things that others think are silly.  It's what makes us unique.  But in the end, he's getting his sign back, and let's be frank, this is going to be a story that when someone asks about his sign, he's going to have a pretty humorous story to tell.

It is if he wanted to pursue it. Hoaxer he settled out of court. It wasn't paper either.

There is plenty justification. He took the man's property and destroyed it. To some people, $500 is quite a bit of money. It is in fact grand theft in the third degree.

So regardless of what your opinion is about it, it's the law. Sorry, those silly laws get in the way of people doing what they want.

The sign has been replaced. I thought it was paper, evidently it was vinyl. Either way, it's been replaced. The comment I originally responded to suggested that this guy could still sue and win far more than the cost of the sign. At this point, the situation has been remedied. To take this to court would be unnecessarily litigious.

The sign has been replaced. I thought it was paper, evidently it was vinyl. Either way, it's been replaced. The comment I originally responded to suggested that this guy could still sue and win far more than the cost of the sign. At this point, the situation has been remedied. To take this to court would be unnecessarily litigious.

It's ok that he settled out, or just wanted the cost of it. The issue I have is people saying this is not a big deal and cam did nothing really wrong. When in fact, if it was an average joe, charges would be pressed and probation plus restitution.

It's not that big of a deal, it was an illegal banner anyway.

It's ok that he settled out, or just wanted the cost of it. The issue I have is people saying this is not a big deal and cam did nothing really wrong. When in fact, if it was an average joe, charges would be pressed and probation plus restitution.

I didn't say any of that. We were obviously talking past each other. I don't think Cam should have done what he did, but I don't think it makes him a monster and trash and all that, like you said earlier. Of course, I wasn't responding to you to begin with.

I do disagree about the average Joe part. I think if this were anyone that isn't known, there would be no legal action taken most of the time. 

I didn't say any of that. We were obviously talking past each other. I don't think Cam should have done what he did, but I don't think it makes him a monster and trash and all that, like you said earlier. Of course, I wasn't responding to you to begin with.

I do disagree about the average Joe part. I think if this were anyone that isn't known, there would be no legal action taken most of the time.

I know you weren't initially. But you asked on what grounds, and I believe there is plenty. I disagree with your thinking that if this was anyone else nothing would happen.

If I came to your home and stoleb $500 worth of your personal property and you knew I did, would you not seek some sort of restitution? The first thing you have to do is go to the police and file a report.

I know you weren't initially. But you asked on what grounds, and I believe there is plenty. I disagree with your thinking that if this was anyone else nothing would happen.

If I came to your home and stoleb $500 worth of your personal property and you knew I did, would you not seek some sort of restitution? The first thing you have to do is go to the police and file a report.

1) I don't think his banner was worth $500. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm calling nonsense on that.

2) Cam didn't go to the man's house and take something. That would be an entirely different story. This is an interaction between two people in public. And if you walked up to me and ripped up my vinyl sign, I probably wouldn't sue you. If you walked up to me and took $500 from me, and I couldn't chase you, I'd probably sue you. But, see #1.

All JMO.

Yes, some people just don't get it. If a person knocks off a liquor store, they don't just have to pay the liquor store back for what they stole.

I guess if you're Cam with Cam's personality, a lot of people will make excuses for it.

Goodness.

Im not saying he will or it should , I'm just saying it's a possibly in this sue happy world we live in. For the record, u think it'd be ridiculous as well as dumb to sue over this....but people have sued for less and won....couple down the street had been illuminating thier house for decades with Christmas lights, 5 years agi, new family moved in across the street and sued saying the lights were too bright and shined onto their property (they werent, it wasn't one of those over done ones) they won, couple no longer can display their Christmas lights.....

Im not saying he will or it should , I'm just saying it's a possibly in this sue happy world we live in. For the record, u think it'd be ridiculous as well as dumb to sue over this....but people have sued for less and won....couple down the street had been illuminating thier house for decades with Christmas lights, 5 years agi, new family moved in across the street and sued saying the lights were too bright and shined onto their property (they werent, it wasn't one of those over done ones) they won, couple no longer can display their Christmas lights.....

I'm assuming in your example that no damages were paid. They wanted to fix an issue, and it was fixed. That's totally different than suing for damages after you've already been reimbursed for whatever you lost, especially when it's not a major or meaningful loss. 

I'm assuming in your example that no damages were paid. They wanted to fix an issue, and it was fixed. That's totally different than suing for damages after you've already been reimbursed for whatever you lost, especially when it's not a major or meaningful loss.

I do know the couple had to pay attorney fees for the plantiffs but I don't know the exact figure. But again, I see you r point and agree. I just simply saying I can see the dude trying, I mean come on, he was crazy enough to spend 500 on a banner....