Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Similar to 2012 Ravens?

Vinatieri4

I see a lot of similarities in the way the situation is playing out.  Mid to late season there is a change in the play calling, I believe Jim Caldwell took over for them and on top of that Joe Flacco threw 22 interceptions that season!! When the playoffs came Flacco's INTS dropped hard core!

Now look at our team, I think the main change would probably be offensive coordinator first, that way there is no major change, and everything still would somewhat be the same, just play calling duties. If we do this within the next two or three weeks, we could get in a rhythm by playoff time. Now, as for the interceptions, obviously Luck has thrown his fair share of picks in his career, but if any QB can mimic what Flacco did Andrew Luck could be that guy. 

And before you throw out the whole "their defense was elite" I believe they weren't a top ten defense that year in the playoffs, they let up 30+ points twice. Although they did hold a rookie Andrew Luck to 9 points, they were far from unbeatable. So with that being said, I think our run defense is strong, if our secondary can get healthy, we will be in much better shape. 

I agree, but the thing is our team isn't bad. I think there is a difference in being a bad team, and just shooting yourself in the foot. Now if this continues much longer, I will just say 2015 isn't the year we expected, in my opinion this Panthers game you will see the Colts team everyone expected. 

I agree, but the thing is our team isn't bad. I think there is a difference in being a bad team, and just shooting yourself in the foot. Now if this continues much longer, I will just say 2015 isn't the year we expected, in my opinion this Panthers game you will see the Colts team everyone expected. 

I'm kind of getting that feeling too.  The first half of the Pats game combined with the 2nd half of the Saints game, that team needs to come out and play.  We are due for a full team showing up and the Panthers are due for a loss.  Although the only downside to this game is the fact that it is on a Monday and we don't do well on Mondays.

I think the biggest similarity is the amount of turnovers Luck and Flacco commit. Also, that Ravens team was actually winning games early in the year. There problem was fizzling out later in the season. The Colts seem to be on the opposite trajectory.

I'm kind of getting that feeling too.  The first half of the Pats game combined with the 2nd half of the Saints game, that team needs to come out and play.  We are due for a full team showing up and the Panthers are due for a loss.  Although the only downside to this game is the fact that it is on a Monday and we don't do well on Mondays.

I agree, I think the Bills loss would of been a win if it were week 7. The Jets loss we just played poorly, our team is showing flashes of greatness. 

For example: First half of patriots game. 

4th quarter of titans game

good play calling in Texans and Jaguars game

Parts of the saints game. 

I think the biggest similarity is the amount of turnovers Luck and Flacco commit. Also, that Ravens team was actually winning games early in the year. There problem was fizzling out later in the season. The Colts seem to be on the opposite trajectory.

Right, but I would definite get hot similar to how the Giants did a few years back., then to fizzle out like the 2000's colts did. 

They have a defense we don't

Defenses do win championships, but we have stopped the run pretty solid this year. If we limit our turnovers our defense will greatly improve.  You can say what you want, but a lot of our defensive struggles have happened because our offense. 

Wasn't Baltimore pretty solid through out the year but dropped like 3 out of the last 4 or something that year?  Finished 10-6 with the 4th seed?  Obviously they got hot in the playoffs which is all that mattered. 

I think they are solid, but I mean as bad as we have played this year, we are so close to flipping the switch every game.  I really wouldn't be surprised if this team made a run for the superbowl. 

You are never "due" to win and another team is never "due" to lose. This is like me flipping a coin and it landing on heads 4 times and me saying it's "due" to land on tails the 5th time. Or a roulette wheel landing on black 4 times and me betting double every time I lose that it will land on red. Nothing is "due". In football, there are times when you have a better chance of winning based on the teams skill level and matchups, but if you are a bad team like the Colts, there is no guarantee you will randomly be "due" for a good game in any given week, especially against an undefeated Carolina who you think we are going to beat because they are "due" for a loss. 

You are never "due" to win and another team is never "due" to lose. This is like me flipping a coin and it landing on heads 4 times and me saying it's "due" to land on tails the 5th time. Or a roulette wheel landing on black 4 times and me betting double every time I lose that it will land on red. Nothing is "due". In football, there are times when you have a better chance of winning based on the teams skill level and matchups, but if you are a bad team like the Colts, there is no guarantee you will randomly be "due" for a good game in any given week, especially against an undefeated Carolina who you think we are going to beat because they are "due" for a loss. 

I agree the term might not be "due" for a loss, but I understand what the poster was trying to say.  The Panthers are undefeated and have beaten a questionable Seahawks team. Now, with that being said, are the Seahawks good? Like do you consider them to be a team who could still go to the superbowl if they make the playoffs?  If you say yes to that question, then you shouldn't call the colts a bad team, because we are in the same boat as them.  

but back to the panthers, I think they are coming on an emotional high, and the Colts are a very angry football team, so it just seems fitting that the panthers may have a let down game, and the colts flick the switch this game. 

Mark my words, colts win by 10 plus. 

I agree the term might not be "due" for a loss, but I understand what the poster was trying to say.  The Panthers are undefeated and have beaten a questionable Seahawks team. Now, with that being said, are the Seahawks good? Like do you consider them to be a team who could still go to the superbowl if they make the playoffs?  If you say yes to that question, then you shouldn't call the colts a bad team, because we are in the same boat as them.  

but back to the panthers, I think they are coming on an emotional high, and the Colts are a very angry football team, so it just seems fitting that the panthers may have a let down game, and the colts flick the switch this game. 

Weren't we suppose to be a very anger football team after the pats game????? And look how that turned out. I like ur optimism though.

I can get on board with that. It's a fair point. The Seahawks are in a similar position as us, I expect the Cardinals to win the division, if the Seahawks make it, it will be as a wildcard. I think something is wrong with Luck mentally right now, and it's destroying the team. It's a mix of the coaching staff and a bad O-Line. If we can fix that, we are as dangerous as any team. We need some aggressiveness and effort, we showed it vs the Pats, and we need to do that every game. I believe we can win against Carolina, but not with the effort our players are showing. So hopefully they get angry and play their hearts out. 

I think they are solid, but I mean as bad as we have played this year, we are so close to flipping the switch every game.  I really wouldn't be surprised if this team made a run for the superbowl. 

I hope your right.  Right now I am not to optimistic.  If the Colts can show me something and beat the Panthers in Carolina, I might start coming around.

I see a lot of similarities in the way the situation is playing out.  Mid to late season there is a change in the play calling, I believe Jim Caldwell took over for them and on top of that Joe Flacco threw 22 interceptions that season!! When the playoffs came Flacco's INTS dropped hard core!

Now look at our team, I think the main change would probably be offensive coordinator first, that way there is no major change, and everything still would somewhat be the same, just play calling duties. If we do this within the next two or three weeks, we could get in a rhythm by playoff time. Now, as for the interceptions, obviously Luck has thrown his fair share of picks in his career, but if any QB can mimic what Flacco did Andrew Luck could be that guy. 

And before you throw out the whole "their defense was elite" I believe they weren't a top ten defense that year in the playoffs, they let up 30+ points twice. Although they did hold a rookie Andrew Luck to 9 points, they were far from unbeatable. So with that being said, I think our run defense is strong, if our secondary can get healthy, we will be in much better shape. 

I remember that team.  The biggest thing that Caldwell did was he calmed Flacco down and he used Ray Rice.  He took the pressure off Flacco.  They also had a pretty good OL.  I see no evidence that there is anyone of this team's staff that can calm Andrew down.  Second, someone would have to fire Pep or demand that he run Gore and Bradshaw 20-25 times per game..

Weren't we suppose to be a very anger football team after the pats game????? And look how that turned out. I like ur optimism though.

Honestly, I kind of felt like we weren't an angry team after that. Wasn't everyone saying how positive the team was after that game because it was a good game for them? I expected us to come out flat vs the Saints. Now, with that being said, after this loss to the saints, they truly are an angry team, look at Lucks eyes at certain points in the 3 and 4th quarter. After the 80 yard touchdown to hilton he didn't seem to excited, Irsay was mad at Grigson, there is true frustration on the team now, I think its good.  Now they really are angry. 

I remember that team.  The biggest thing that Caldwell did was he calmed Flacco down and he used Ray Rice.  He took the pressure off Flacco.  They also had a pretty good OL.  I see no evidence that there is anyone of this team's staff that can calm Andrew down.  Second, someone would have to fire Pep or demand that he run Gore and Bradshaw 20-25 times per game..

I don't really think anyone needs to calm Andrew down besides himself. Lets face it, he's not doing that well. But I think he will get out of this slump. In 2010, or 2011 (Mannings last year with the Colts) he had like a 4 game slump and got out of it fine.  and as for running the ball 25 times, I don't think we need to do that, with Luck it needs to be 15-20 times.  

Luck is borderline elite, Flacco is a 2nd tear QB

Defenses do win championships, but we have stopped the run pretty solid this year. If we limit our turnovers our defense will greatly improve.  You can say what you want, but a lot of our defensive struggles have happened because our offense. 

I agree with most of what you said, except about the Defense.  Our Defense is playing more Zone than Man/ Press Man.  Our secondary is built for Man/ Press Man.  

Defenses do win championships, but we have stopped the run pretty solid this year. If we limit our turnovers our defense will greatly improve. You can say what you want, but a lot of our defensive struggles have happened because our offense.

Our run defense has been poor, actually. And our coverage has been even worse. This blows :(

That and because our starting secondary has yet to play a full game together............

Our run defense has been poor, actually.

Actually, no, not really.

Besides the last game against the saints, we led the leagues in negative rushing yards.  DL is doing great, problem is the LBs are missing tackles, equating to big yards in both the pass and running games.

I agree with you that the situations are similar. And I think it would be smart to give Chud a shot at OC and get rid of Pep.  I don't think there is much to lose.  People have talked about the second half the of the Saints game as being good, but lets remember that was essentially two broken plays by Saints for long TD passes. Other than that, the Colts offensive again did almost nothing.  The pattern is pretty clear.

What I am not sure about is if Pagano can fire Pep.  Maybe thats Grigsons call.  I guess one of them better do something because they will clean house at end of year.

im pretty that's what everyone including myself thought about the saints game..

Actually, no, not really.

Besides the last game against the saints, we led the leagues in negative rushing yards. DL is doing great, problem is the LBs are missing tackles, equating to big yards in both the pass and running games.

Thats the issue. We can make spectacular negative yardage Plays, but then we'll give up a homerun type run. You know the Ingram runs, the blount back breaker plays. We're very inconsistent and get gassed easily. It helps our run defense when the other team just decides to pass pass pass since that area of our D is softer than an infant.

I don't really think anyone needs to calm Andrew down besides himself. Lets face it, he's not doing that well. But I think he will get out of this slump. In 2010, or 2011 (Mannings last year with the Colts) he had like a 4 game slump and got out of it fine.  and as for running the ball 25 times, I don't think we need to do that, with Luck it needs to be 15-20 times.  

Luck is borderline elite, Flacco is a 2nd tear QB

I guess you have more confidence in Andrew than I do.  You're making some comparisons to Manning when he was a  10, 11 yr veteran.  Andrew is a kid still, he needs someone to get him settled - he's making the same mistakes repeatedly.  That's not someone who is calm.  If hew was a 10 yr vet I would say he has to get himself out of this.

Right now, Luck is not borderline elite.  There isn't much that he's doing well.  So yeah, run it 20-25 times per game or develop some pass plays that are essentially running plays and take the pressure off of him.

I guess you have more confidence in Andrew than I do.  You're making some comparisons to Manning when he was a  10, 11 yr veteran.  Andrew is a kid still, he needs someone to get him settled - he's making the same mistakes repeatedly.  That's not someone who is calm.  If hew was a 10 yr vet I would say he has to get himself out of this.

Right now, Luck is not borderline elite.  There isn't much that he's doing well.  So yeah, run it 20-25 times per game or develop some pass plays that are essentially running plays and take the pressure off of him.

I do agree that he is making the same mistakes over and over, but the thing of it is: He's in year 4, sure he will make mistakes, no one is going to be perfect, you and I know that.  We just want him to limit the mistakes he does make. I mean lets be realistic here,  if Andrew Luck is our biggest problem (which it looks to be that way right now) I am going to be confident. Because he will get it fixed. Now, if our problem was, Andrew Luck playing above average but zero yards rushing like last year, I would be concerned.  

Andrew Luck is the easiest problem to fix, long story short. lol

If we end up 3-7 we should shut luck down for the rest of the year

The flip side of the logic suggests that if we are 3-7 with Luck, we should keep playing him. :)

Matt Hasselback might win a few games and cost us a high draft pick, lol.

Too early for this rubbish but hey, I am indulging frivolously.  :dunno:

Ok?

Like Vinatieri4 said, due isn't the right word but I was using it for a lack of a better phrase that i still have yet to come up with. 

I know about chances of winning having started varsity on a team that underachieved big time. Typically, we had good seasons, 8-2, 9-1 seasons, but we had the worst seasons in the history of the school when we had a 3-7 season followed by a 1-9 season.  I know you're not due anything.  I'm just saying it's about time we put it all together.  The Panthers haven't been blowing out anyone.  They play their game.  We play catch up.  They don't start slow.  We start in the 3rd quarter typically.

There is alot of uncertainty with the Team to go off of intangibles. On paper we should be atleast 5-2 but we see how the season has played out so far. At this point idk what its gonna take for us to start playing well again but something needs to give FAST.

Start playing well? I would start by: 1) preparing differently for game because there is a history of slow starts by Chuck's team 2) make a true effort to commit to the run game 3) be more disciplined and not commit stupid penalties 4) make a commitment to a shorter/quicker passing game and make that defense stop that before calling plays that take 5 seconds to develop.