Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thread for realistic 2016 mock drafts

This is a thread dedicated to all the Mock drafts from now until the 2016 NFL Draft that we will be doing. This particular thread is for drafts that are realistic to somewhat realistic and that you either think will happen or want to happen for the sake of the team. For this thread, don't put mocks down where you drafted Joey Bosa 21st overall and Leonard Floyd in the late 2nd. It's fun to take advantage of stupid automated teams and have an incredible draft where we get a few elite players, but that's going to be for the unrealistic mock draft thread that I will create after this!

One more thing, in this thread, if you do trades, make sure they are realistic as well. No trading down 5 spots in the 1st round and receiving an extra 2nd and 3rd. That won't happen in any realistic situation. If you trade a future 1st round pick away, make sure to make it realistic as well for this thread. Any unrealistic trade mock drafts go in the unrealistic mock draft thread.

Have fun and lets put all our realistic mocks here to keep it organized and easily accessible to everyone who wants to have fun with the draft process!

This is a thread dedicated to all the Mock drafts from now until the 2016 NFL Draft that we will be doing. This particular thread is for drafts that are realistic to somewhat realistic and that you either think will happen or want to happen for the sake of the team. For this thread, don't put mocks down where you drafted Joey Bosa 21st overall and Leonard Floyd in the late 2nd. It's fun to take advantage of stupid automated teams and have an incredible draft where we get a few elite players, but that's going to be for the unrealistic mock draft thread that I will create after this!

One more thing, in this thread, if you do trades, make sure they are realistic as well. No trading down 5 spots in the 1st round and receiving an extra 2nd and 3rd. That won't happen in any realistic situation. If you trade a future 1st round pick away, make sure to make it realistic as well for this thread. Any unrealistic trade mock drafts go in the unrealistic mock draft thread.

Have fun and lets put all our realistic mocks here to keep it organized and easily accessible to everyone who wants to have fun with the draft process!

The problem with proposed trades.....   is that most posters -- and I see this as respectfully as possible -- don't know what a realistic trade is.    Neither up or down.

What seems reasonable to most,  is not reasonable in the real world.     

Hey, give it a shot.....   this place needs to remain as fun as possible.....    just saying don't get your hopes up too high for realism......   when it comes to the draft,  most people are not very realistic.

:peek:

The problem with proposed trades.....   is that most posters -- and I see this as respectfully as possible -- don't know what a realistic trade is.    Neither up or down.

What seems reasonable to most,  is not reasonable in the real world.     

Hey, give it a shot.....   this place needs to remain as fun as possible.....    just saying don't get your hopes up too high for realism......   when it comes to the draft,  most people are not very realistic.

:peek:

That's why I created two threads, so people can use their best judgment for their draft and put it in the appropriate thread. We'll see how it turns out. I'm hoping for the best!  :thmup:

The way I see it... 

We have 3 glaring areas of weakness that must be improved on this team. Drafting exclusively for need isn't usually a good strategy, so I hope at least some of it is addressed through free agency. We do have guys on the roster I think should be cut next season if they don't step up (Johnson, Cole) and someone like Jones should be cut if he won't restructure or take a pay cut (I think it's worth trying to keep him around if he will). We have our own people to sign (the Luck deal, I think Fleener should be re-signed etc) but we should have enough money to make a key signing or two.

Our glaring needs are 

1. Pass rusher. Mathis and Cole are aging players with their best days behind them. Walden and Werner are SAMs only. Newsome has been a little disappointing thus far, and is really our only long term piece that may be a real pass rushing threat. This is a pretty big area of need, and guys who rush the passer well don't make it to free agency often. 

2. Offensive line. We have 2 long term pieces in Castonzo and Mewhort. We have a nice stop-gap player in Reitz, and two guys who the jury is very much out on in Holmes and Thornton. Mewhort belongs on the right side, whether he's a tackle or guard is still up for debate. Best case scenario -  this unit plays excellent for the rest of the year, Holmes and Thornton look like long term pieces. We still have a big need for depth at tackle and a long term piece at RT (or a long term piece interior O-lineman if you believe Mewhort will eventually kick out). Worst case scenario, the line plays poorly and we really need multiple new starters fast before Luck becomes David Carr.

3. Secondary. Mike Adams is getting old. Greg Toler is not young anymore himself, and has trouble staying healthy. D'Joun Smith is a complete question mark. We probably need to bring in both a safety and a corner next year through free agency and/or the draft to compete for spots, especially as our corner depth has been exposed for how weak it really is so far this season.

I'll probably come up with another mock after a couple more weeks, selections depending on what direction we're trending.

A little too early for me to be thinking about mocks, but I think as of right now I'd probably try to follow this outline:

1. OT

2. OG

3. CB

I would say number 1 should be split between OT and OLB. There's some games (like against Houston) where the lack of pass rush is more evident than the poor pass protection.

At least we can sometimes protect the passer. We can almost never rush the passer though. At the very least, OLB should be in your top 3.

I would say number 1 should be split between OT and OLB. There's some games (like against Houston) where the lack of pass rush is more evident than the poor pass protection.

At least we can sometimes protect the passer. We can almost never rush the passer though. At the very least, OLB should be in your top 3.

I agree that we should adress pass rusher, but I don't think it needs to be in Rd. 1. It's not like we don't have guys: Mathis, Cole, Newsome, Walden, Werner. Another pass rusher would help but I think OT is by far a larger need.

If we could do something like:

1. Conklin, OT, MSU

2. Alexandor, OG, LSU

3. Jackson, CB, Houston

With a Pass Rusher taken somewhere in rounds 4-6. 

I agree that we should adress pass rusher, but I don't think it needs to be in Rd. 1. It's not like we don't have guys: Mathis, Cole, Newsome, Walden, Werner. Another pass rusher would help but I think OT is by far a larger need.

1. Conklin, OT, MSU

2. Alexandor, OG, LSU

3. Jackson, CB, Houston

I would actually like one or both of Conklin and Alexander. But if you wait too long to get a pass rusher, you miss out on the elite ones. It's not a position like WR and RB where you can wait and still get a top guy. I'm thinking:

1. Emmanuel Ogbah

2. Cody Whitehair, OG/T

3. Karl Joseph

4. Joey Hunt, C

I would actually like one or both of Conklin and Alexander. But if you wait too long to get a pass rusher, you miss out on the elite ones. It's not a position like WR and RB where you can wait and still get a top guy. I'm thinking:

1. Emmanuel Ogbah

2. Cody Whitehair, OG/T

3. Karl Joseph

4. Joey Hunt, C

Your number 1 pick raised his stock against your number 2 pick (who kind of lowered his).

1. Conklin, OT, MSU

2. Alexandor, OG, LSU

3. Jackson, CB, Houston

It's way too early to tell, but if we could land Conklin in round 1 I would say taking the best defensive play maker available in round 2 would be the best option. Conklin is an instant starter at RT. I'd move Mewhort to RG - the RG has to pull less than the LG does - pulling is probably Mewhort's weakest aspect in terms of his game so I'd de-emphasize that. Then I'd have guys on the roster like Reitz, Thornton, and Good compete for starting LG, and I'd probably pick up a center (or a guard who has real center experience) in the mid rounds for some competition for that position too. The right side of our O-line would instantly be upgraded, the left side would end up being decent I feel, and our depth all over the line would be improved.

Your number 1 pick raised his stock against your number 2 pick (who kind of lowered his).

I saw the KSU game as well. I thought it was a good battle that Ogbah won, but hats off to Whitehair who showed position flexibility.

I wouldn't knock Whitehair for losing to a talented player like Ogbah.

• 2 months later...

I just done this one on Fan Speak, I don't think it is realistic so I posted it here.

VIEW EACH TEAM'S DRAFT

18: R1P18
CB ELI APPLE
OHIO STATE
48: R2P17
C NICK MARTIN
NOTRE DAME
82: R3P19
OLB NOAH SPENCE
EASTERN KENTUCKY
113: R4P18
DT SHELDON RANKINS
LOUISVILLE
143: R5P16
OT JOE HAEG
NORTH DAKOTA STATE
207: R7P18
S JORDAN LOMAX
IOWA

9 minutes ago, Tracy Denton said:

I just done this one on Fan Speak, I don't think it is realistic so I posted it here.

VIEW EACH TEAM'S DRAFT

18: R1P18
CB ELI APPLE
OHIO STATE
48: R2P17
C NICK MARTIN
NOTRE DAME
82: R3P19
OLB NOAH SPENCE
EASTERN KENTUCKY
113: R4P18
DT SHELDON RANKINS
LOUISVILLE
143: R5P16
OT JOE HAEG
NORTH DAKOTA STATE
207: R7P18
S JORDAN LOMAX
IOWA

That`s not a bad draft.

This is assuming we sign a CB in FA.  There is an immediate hole due to Toler's contract and it is a deep FA pool.

1. Shaq Lawson - DE Clemson:  He's more of a 4-3 DE, but our rush LB doesn't really do much else than play the run or rush.  He's very disruptive and athletic enough to turn and chase the RB on a screen pass or the flat. 

2. Nick Martin - C/G Notre Dame or Germain Ifedi  - G/OT Texas AM.  Martin is an interior lineman that should be a solid starter for 10 years.  If we sign a C in free agency, then I'd choose Ifedi here.

3. Yannick Ngakoue - OLB Maryland.  Disruptive pass rusher.

4. Eric Murray- CB Minnesota

5.  Deon Bush - FS Miami: Need a young FS to pair with Geathers

7. Ryker Matthews - G/T Brigham Young

I love the idea of getting Floyd in the 1st and Spence in the 2nd. Those 2 guys could be our starting OLB's for the next several years as I believe both are going to be really good. Then we also could use our extra cap room on other areas instead of signing a guy like Irvin or Hali. But here's another one

1) Leonard Floyd OLB

2) Noah Spence OLB

3) Sheldon Day DT

4) Paul Perkins RB

5) Evan Boehm Center

7) Lloyd Carrington CB

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

This is assuming we sign a CB in FA.  There is an immediate hole due to Toler's contract and it is a deep FA pool.

1. Shaq Lawson - DE Clemson:  He's more of a 4-3 DE, but our rush LB doesn't really do much else than play the run or rush.  He's very disruptive and athletic enough to turn and chase the RB on a screen pass or the flat. 

2. Nick Martin - C/G Notre Dame or Germain Ifedi  - G/OT Texas AM.  Martin is an interior lineman that should be a solid starter for 10 years.  If we sign a C in free agency, then I'd choose Ifedi here.

3. Yannick Ngakoue - OLB Maryland.  Disruptive pass rusher.

4. Eric Murray- CB Minnesota

5.  Deon Bush - FS Miami: Need a young FS to pair with Geathers

7. Ryker Matthews - G/T Brigham Young

What happened to Deon Bush? His draft stock just fell off...

• 3 months later...

I just decided to run a mock after the trade on the fanspeak composite board and look what happened:

1: R1P18
OLB MYLES JACK
UCLA
2: R2P17
S DARIAN THOMPSON
BOISE STATE
3: R3P19
C NICK MARTIN
NOTRE DAME
4: R4P18
DT JAVON HARGRAVE
SOUTH CAROLINA STATE
5: R5P16
OLB YANNICK NGAKOUE
MARYLAND
6: R7P18
ILB BLAKE MARTINEZ
STANFORD

This one kind of defies the title of the thread :P

On October 17, 2015 at 2:02 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

If you really want to do a realistic mock draft, you should probably not start this thread until Sunday, May 1st.