Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Griff Whalen

RockThatBlue

whalen isn't good. If he was, we wouldn't have brought in johnson or drafted dorsett. That's just the truth

Yeah because every personnel decision by this FO has been a great move (Avery, DHB, Nicks, Satele, Thomas, Cherilus, Werner, Harrisson, Louis.... I can go on)

Your hate for Whalen is completely irrational.

I like Griff, but I'm not going to say I can't see why Grigs is making moves to improve the performance of the position.

You basically have a guy who is taking up a roster spot for 1half to 2 years just to fair catch balls.  Sure I love that he

doesn't fumble them or turn them over, but what if we had a guy back there who didn't fumble them and also was a

more than adequate returner?  Why would we be opposed to that?

I guess it's bye bye  for Griff,

"We're going to get him(Thigpen) going this week," coach Chuck Pagano said. "He was out there (Monday). Obviously we know him; we've seen him; we've played against him. (He's) a good returner, so we'll start to integrate him into our system and our schemes and see where that takes us."

It shouldn't take long, Pagano said, to do that. The return position is not one that is particularly complicated.

There's "right return, left return, middle return," he said. "As long as he can possess the ball and catch it, which we know he can, we know he's got return skills. He's got the numbers to back it, so we've got a lot of respect for him as a player."

http://www.indystar....igpen/73839600/

Patriots have very good special teams coverage units so I can sort of see why Grigs wanted to get somebody back there who they feel wouldn't have us in bad field position with their returns. Hopefully it works the way they want it to.

Now my next thought is will they end up releasing Griff to make room for Bradshaw or is there some kind of way to still retain him as a back up plan?

When given the opportunity, Griff has always played well. If the offense is moving in the direction it appears to be, Griff is exactly the type of receiver we need to utilize more of. I bet Brady or Manning could make a good connection with Griff.

whalen isn't good. If he was, we wouldn't have brought in johnson or drafted dorsett. That's just the truth

Whalen, AJ, & Dorsett couldnt be more different in terms of WR prototypes, so again your logic is failed...

No body is saying Whalen is a perrenial pro-bowler, but he makes the roster for a reason, & as far as trying to build a championship team, Whalen is FAR from a liability...

For what he is, a 4/5 WR & servicable return man, he is good...

Whalen, AJ, & Dorsett couldnt be more different in terms of WR prototypes, so again your logic is failed...

No body is saying Whalen is a perrenial pro-bowler, but he makes the roster for a reason, & as far as trying to build a championship team, Whalen is FAR from a liability...

For what he is, a 4/5 WR & servicable return man, he is good...

Guy reminds me of Edelman. A little smaller without the numerous stats.

When given the opportunity, Griff has always played well. If the offense is moving in the direction it appears to be, Griff is exactly the type of receiver we need to utilize more of. I bet Brady or Manning could make a good connection with Griff.

he should never be on the field with the offense

Walden is the most underrated player on the team IMO but I think Whalen is a close second. He does what is asked, he doesn't fumble or usually do anything stupid. He's also better at returning kicks and punts than people give him credit for IMO. He's not a burner but he has decent vision (look at his return against Houston) He rarely drops a pass when he's in on offense. What are everybody's thoughts on him?

You overrate both of them.

they don't hate him. They just know he isn't very good

Psshh. I don't get all the Whalen hate around here. 

Actually, he's better than Thigpen: 

Whalen is averaging 8 yards on return this year and 8.5 for his career (PR). He’s returned 38 career punts.

Thigpen is averaging 5.2 yards on return this year and 10 for his career (PR). He’s returned 85 career punts.

Psshh. I don't get all the Whalen hate around here.

Actually, he's better than Thigpen:

Whalen is averaging 8 yards on return this year and 8.5 for his career (PR). He’s returned 38 career punts.

Thigpen is averaging 5.2 yards on return this year and 10 for his career (PR). He’s returned 85 career punts.

no he isn't

I guess it's bye bye  for Griff,

"We're going to get him(Thigpen) going this week," coach Chuck Pagano said. "He was out there (Monday). Obviously we know him; we've seen him; we've played against him. (He's) a good returner, so we'll start to integrate him into our system and our schemes and see where that takes us."

It shouldn't take long, Pagano said, to do that. The return position is not one that is particularly complicated.

There's "right return, left return, middle return," he said. "As long as he can possess the ball and catch it, which we know he can, we know he's got return skills. He's got the numbers to back it, so we've got a lot of respect for him as a player."

http://www.indystar....igpen/73839600/

I bet Thigpen fumbles it.

I bet Thigpen fumbles it.

Probably.  It always makes me nervous when they bring these guys in at the last minute to replace someone else who has at the least been good with securing the football.  I understand but it seems to be a little bit of bad timing.  We'll see!

Griff is underrated, no doubt. He ranks third in the league in kick returns right now with a 33.5 yard average. Every punt and kick return is unique and Griff continues to make good decisions on when to fair catch and when to advance the ball. He's got good shiftiness and more than enough speed to make big plays. Good judgment, good hands & good skills are exactly what's required to play the position well.

Griff is underrated, no doubt. He ranks third in the league in kick returns right now with a 33.5 yard average. Every punt and kick return is unique and Griff continues to make good decisions on when to fair catch and when to advance the ball. He's got good shiftiness and more than enough speed to make big plays. Good judgment, good hands & good skills are exactly what's required to play the position well.

he is at best an average talent. Talking him up for no reason helps nobody