Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Article on Chud's Role

IndyD4U

I'm not sure why there's so much interest in exactly what Chud does, and I'm not sure why there's so much mystery about it, either. Even that interview, when I listened to it, he doesn't give any information about his duties. No one really has since he was hired. I don't really care, but I also don't know why it's being so closely guarded. 

I had the opportunity to meet him recently. He's a really nice guy, very honest and knowledgeable.

After talking to him I kept thinking what *s the Browns were for firing him. He's the kind of guy you want to represent your franchise. We're lucky to have him.

I'm not sure why there's so much interest in exactly what Chud does, and I'm not sure why there's so much mystery about it, either. Even that interview, when I listened to it, he doesn't give any information about his duties. No one really has since he was hired. I don't really care, but I also don't know why it's being so closely guarded.

It has something to due with the fact hes still collecting pay from the Browns. If he accepts an active coaching role, he loses that money. So hes a coach in a "non-coaching" role...getting paid by the Colts AND the Browns.

It has something to due with the fact hes still collecting pay from the Browns. If he accepts an active coaching role, he loses that money. So hes a coach in a "non-coaching" role...getting paid by the Colts AND the Browns.

I'm pretty sure his Browns salary is still being offset by whatever we're paying him. As I understand it, offset language applies as long as he's on a staff, regardless of his role. But there might be something particular in his contract, which would explain the secrecy.

I'm pretty sure his Browns salary is still being offset by whatever we're paying him. As I understand it, offset language applies as long as he's on a staff, regardless of his role. But there might be something particular in his contract, which would explain the secrecy.

I remember reading somewhere that his offset language specifically bars him from taking a "coaching" job else where. That is why his role is labelled with secrecy. He is not allowed to work directly with players, per terms of his contract.

While he may be working directly with the players behind closed doors, he doesnt want to admit that to the powers that be in Cleveland.

I think about that old horror move - "C.H.U.D" Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers!

Remember the old Simpsons episode when they were going to NYC? Homer was telling the family about how bad his first visit was. He lost his luggage, was robbed, etc. "...and that's when the CHUDS came at me..."

If I had to guess -- and it's only a guess -- I think the mystery surrounding Chud is deliberate.

I think he's trying to be respectful to both coordinators.    Chud's trying to make sure that if those groups do well, fans are giving credit to the coordinators and NOT to him.

I think Pagano and Chud are old friends and Pagano saw an opportunity to have someone he trusts to bounce ideas off of.  Pagano is a first time HC and sometimes seems a bit insecure in that role, so I'm fine with it myself.  

If I had to guess -- and it's only a guess -- I think the mystery surrounding Chud is deliberate.

I think he's trying to be respectful to both coordinators.    Chud's trying to make sure that if those groups do well, fans are giving credit to the coordinators and NOT to him.

Yeah maybe, could be anything.

that could be, but personally I think the off-set language "can't take a 'coaching' job" theory is probably more likely.

that could be, but personally I think the off-set language "can't take a 'coaching' job" theory is probably more likely.

I remember reading somewhere that his offset language specifically bars him from taking a "coaching" job else where. That is why his role is labelled with secrecy. He is not allowed to work directly with players, per terms of his contract.

While he may be working directly with the players behind closed doors, he doesnt want to admit that to the powers that be in Cleveland.

I remember something about this when we first hired him, because he was a "special assistant." In terms of contract language, that would probably make a difference.

But now, he's an "associate head coach." Any protection that he had as a special assistant is probably gone now, especially if that protection is based on his official title and not his actual role. And yet, no one is talking about what he's actually doing as a member of the staff. I don't really care, but everyone is really evasive about it, which I guess makes sense if it's a contractual issue, but if not, then it makes me wonder.

Sorry.    You lost me.     I'm not following your meaning.

other people in this thread have speculated that Chud's actual responsibilities and role are kept secret because of the off-set language from his Cleveland contract which would prevent him from having any type of actual coaching duties.  I was just saying that I think that idea is more likely than Chud being so selfless that he doesn't want to take any credit from either Coordinator.  Either are possible and the truth could be neither.

I remember something about this when we first hired him, because he was a "special assistant." In terms of contract language, that would probably make a difference.

But now, he's an "associate head coach." Any protection that he had as a special assistant is probably gone now, especially if that protection is based on his official title and not his actual role. And yet, no one is talking about what he's actually doing as a member of the staff. I don't really care, but everyone is really evasive about it, which I guess makes sense if it's a contractual issue, but if not, then it makes me wonder.

very good point...I sometimes forget they changed his title...even though it had been mentioned already in this thread lol

other people in this thread have speculated that Chud's actual responsibilities and role are kept secret because of the off-set language from his Cleveland contract which would prevent him from having any type of actual coaching duties.  I was just saying that I think that idea is more likely than Chud being so selfless that he doesn't want to take any credit from either Coordinator.  Either are possible and the truth could be neither.

OK.....

But wasn't there a story a number of months back that when Chud's contract was up, he was considering going elsewhere....  I assume that would be to go somewhere else and coach,  likely as an OC.     I wouldn't think it would make sense for Chud to leave to take the same job (assistant head coach) elsewhere.    He's already got that job here with a very good team and he and Pags are long-time friends.

So, I don't know if off-set language is in effect at this point.

I'm guessing the Colts were able to retain Chud by doing two things......   one,  paying him handsomely -- coordinator money -- and two,  we've made it clear that should things with Pagano not go as hoped for,  Chud would be a serious contender to replace him.

OK.....

But wasn't there a story a number of months back that when Chud's contract was up, he was considering going elsewhere....  I assume that would be to go somewhere else and coach,  likely as an OC.     I wouldn't think it would make sense for Chud to leave to take the same job (assistant head coach) elsewhere.    He's already got that job here with a very good team and he and Pags are long-time friends.

So, I don't know if off-set language is in effect at this point.

I'm guessing the Colts were able to retain Chud by doing two things......   one,  paying him handsomely -- coordinator money -- and two,  we've made it clear that should things with Pagano not go as hoped for,  Chud would be a serious contender to replace him.

yeah, as I said in the reply to Superman's post, I had forgotten that they changed his title to Official Head Coach.  With that being the case then I agree that offsent language is probably not a factor here.

However, at the same time I personally don't think there would have been any offers made that he might replace Pagano (or at least I would hope that's the case)...I could see them saying he could take Pep's place because Pep did actually interview, or at least put himself out there to be interviewed, the past 2 years whereas Pagano has repeatedly expressed his desire to remain in Indy. 

yeah, as I said in the reply to Superman's post, I had forgotten that they changed his title to Official Head Coach.  With that being the case then I agree that offsent language is probably not a factor here.

However, at the same time I personally don't think there would have been any offers made that he might replace Pagano (or at least I would hope that's the case)...I could see them saying he could take Pep's place because Pep did actually interview, or at least put himself out there to be interviewed, the past 2 years whereas Pagano has repeatedly expressed his desire to remain in Indy. 

Yeah, I don't buy the "maybe you'll replace Pagano" idea either. It seems to me that Pagano is the reason he's even here. Maybe an insurance policy in case Pagano falls ill again, but I doubt that would keep him around. He could have put himself on a clear path to another head coaching job by taking a coordinator position, and then he wouldn't have to rely on Pagano leaving or being unavailable. Like you said, he'd probably be a candidate to replace Pep, who is a hot interview.

He definitely got a raise, though.

Very good point by you and my point was poorly thought-through.    You're right that they would've made clear that Chud would be the leading candidate to replace Pep should he no longer be the OC for whatever reason.     My bad on the Pagano future.

Brain cramp by me.

Anyway.......   somewhere among all these ideas and thoughts and guesses is something close to the truth.... 

I think theres a difference in "assistant head coach" and "associate head coach" as far as the contract language goes. Hes a paid "associate" to coach Chuck. As long as he isnt working directly with the players, I believe he is entitled to pay from the Browns.

I didnt read the article, so maybe I am wrong, but if his contribution is assisting the coaches with gameplans, watching film, and roster building as a consultant, then technically he is not "coaching".

It doesnt really matter to me, honestly, but I am sure Chud wants to protect his "free money" coming from Cleveland.