Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

And NE takes the big STUD DT....

Griggs is worse than Polian ever was. At least Polian managed to draft a solid offensive line and a few defensive stars in his time as GM. Griggs hasn't proven able to do as much to this point.

While this is true, in later years polians better drafts seemed to be behind him. I remember hating Polian picks just as much as I hate Grigson picks. The past couple years I have been waiting and seeing how he has drafted and honestly so far, I don't like them.

Polian was also GM of this team much longer than Grigson has even been a GM at all. He was also a GM of the bills before us and had success there. Polian had much more experience. But how long will we be okay with this kind of stuff? Every year is a year less that we have Luck. Ever since Peyton being here and having left, I just see how much we are really wasting our QB. It's hard to have the best GM best QB and best HC. But that's what you strive for right?

My guy fell just as I had seen and we failed to take him.  Dorsett may end up fantastic.  

If Brown compared favorably to Arthur Jones....he should be a Colt today.  A WR blew my mind....seriously blew my mind.

Hey,  I was as surprised as you and everyone else.    Seriously.

Too many defenders available,  figured one of them was coming to the Colts.

I'm taking Grigson at his word that Dorsett was far higher on his board,  too high to pass-up for a lower-rated defender.

I don't think he has a reason to lie.... 

Perhaps years down the road we'll wonder if he graded Dorsett too high,  but for now,  he gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

I'm taking Grigson at his word that Dorsett was far on his board,  too high to pass-up for a lower-rated defender.

Perhaps years down the road we'll wonder if he graded Dorsett too high,  but for now,  he gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

Either way, his 1st round acumen is highly dubious. 

He also thought Werner to be a BPA, and he pulled the trigger on Trent without much thought. He has yet to utilize our 1st round pick correctly, other than the obvious, no-brainer 'wasn't even his choice' pick of Luck. 

I'm taking Grigson at his word that Dorsett was far on his board,  too high to pass-up for a lower-rated defender.

I know I will end up loving the kid....I am looking forward to Day 2 and the possibility of trades...up or down for more picks or the player they want.

Either way, his 1st round acumen is highly dubious. 

He also thought Werner to be a BPA, and he pulled the trigger on Trent without much thought. He has yet to utilize our 1st round pick correctly, other than the obvious, no-brainer 'wasn't even his choice' pick of Luck. 

You really think he pulled the trigger on Trent "without too much thought"???

I mean,  every bad decision that every GM makes looks that way to a fan.   But I don't think Grigson does ANYTHING in his life without giving it a LOT of thought.   I'm serious.

I try to watch every video on him,  and he strikes me as a very, very thoughtful guy.

I know I will end up loving the kid....I am looking forward to Day 2 and the possibility of trades...up or down for more picks or the player they want.

From the write-ups,  he strikes me as TY Hilton 2.0,  only faster and more polished at the same point in his career.

Not kidding.   That's what I'm reading.....

From the write-ups,  he strikes me as TY Hilton 2.0,  only faster and more polished at the same point in his career.

That is what I think too.  I just hope we did not get him to replace someone (TY) when that contract comes....

You really think he pulled the trigger on Trent "without too much thought"???

Yes. The way I understood it, we weren't the only team contacted and the matter was incredibly time sensitive. Grigson was worried that someone else would pull the trigger so he jumped in head first, or at least that's the way I understood it. 

Dorsett looks great, and I'm excited to have him. It's just the worry over our defense, our inability to stop the run, and the availability of a monster, potential All Pro DT like Brown that tarnished Dorsett's arrival in Indy. 

I know that I, for one, will be following Brown's career very closely. I hope we're all laughing about this in 3 years when it becomes apparent that Dorsett is a WR freak. 

Yes. The way I understood it, we weren't the only team contacted and the matter was incredibly time sensitive. Grigson was worried that someone else would pull the trigger so he jumped in head first, or at least that's the way I understood it. 

You're going to have to explain that post to me.

I have no idea what you're trying to say?

Who said anything about being contacted or anything else?

Trades are made all the time.   Grigson is no stranger to them.    What was incredibly time sensitive?

And where did we read this?    Guide me and I'll be happy to read it.....

Dorsett looks great, and I'm excited to have him. It's just the worry over our defense, our inability to stop the run, and the availability of a monster, potential All Pro DT like Brown that tarnished Dorsett's arrival in Indy. 

I know that I, for one, will be following Brown's career very closely. I hope we're all laughing about this in 3 years when it becomes apparent that Dorsett is a WR freak. 

Dorsett could be the next Odell Beckham Jr. Won't matter when he's sitting on the bench in January watching us lose by 30 because we can't stop a marginal runningback.

I think the hysteria here is way too overblown....

First,  Brown is a 1-gap DT,  and not a 2-gap DT.    Polian said he's not a 2-gap fit.    But Goldman is....

Second,  Dorsett,  while not addressing a need,  is a very good player.   This 4th string WR stuff is pure nonsense.  

I would've preferred Goldman,  but Dorsett can play....   and, just as we all love Hilton,  we'll grow to love Dorsett too.

You wont change anyone's mind with saying anything that makes sense. Most of the posters in here are the same ones who whine and cry about anything and everything the Colts do. It is never about anything positive. You are wasting you effort in trying to be reasonable. It's never about the big picture because some of these seem to think they know more about being a GM than Grigson does. The thing is opinions mean absolutely zero.

I think Grigson knows his job could very well be on the line over a decison like this.

Brown was there.   So was Goldman.   So was every safety, including the much talked about Collins and Randall who went with the very next pick.    Plus,  most every inside linebacker including the popular around here Eric Kendricks.

I expected one of them or another defender when our card was turned in.

I was as surprised as you and everyone else.

But if this doesn't work out,  I will not be surprised if Grigson loses his job over this and Pagano as well.

So you are going to follow Browns career just so you can say I told you so? Might as well fully become a Patriots fan and get it over with. You have made comments in the past that lead me to believe you are already non Colt fan.

I dont see whats so great with Brown to be honest. He's athletic for his size and can penatrate. Great!!! But when it comes to handeling double teams and controling two gaps, he's not so great. There's nothing that really made him stand out above the rest. Good player but not great.

So you are going to follow Browns career just so you can say I told you so? Might as well fully become a Patriots fan and get it over with. You have made comments in the past that lead me to believe you are already non Colt fan.

Dude, you need to back the hell off a bit, and I say that with the best intent. 

Calling my fandom into question is below the belt. I am objective, not a blind fan that just pops my thumbs up to every move coming out of the front office. I love Dorsett, but like many, the sting of watching Blount damn near single-handedly send us packing left a stinging refrain. 

You need to back off a bit and take people's comments with a sense of humor. Don't liter my profile comments section with insults, as you did earlier (I deleted that crap). Settle down and discuss people's trepidation with a better demeanor, please. 

My comment about following Brown has little to do with "I told you so" and more to do with my life-long love of the game, following players across the league, and the interest of reflecting back on choices teams make during the draft and how hindsight is a hell of a thing. 

Relax, and let's enjoy night 2 of our draft process without fighting. 

I dont see whats so great with Brown to be honest. He's athletic for his size and can penatrate. Great!!! But when it comes to handeling double teams and controling two gaps, he's not so great. There's nothing that really made him stand out above the rest. Good player but not great.

That's part of the reason why I made the comment that I'm going to follow Brown's career closely. If he doesn't turn out to be special, and Dorsett does, then I will know why I drive a forklift for a living and Grigson is an NFL General Manager. 

Dude, you need to back the hell off a bit, and I say that with the best intent. 

Calling my fandom into question is below the belt. I am objective, not a blind fan that just pops my thumbs up to every move coming out of the front office. I love Dorsett, but like many, the sting of watching Blount damn near single-handedly send us packing left a stinging refrain. 

You need to back off a bit and take people's comments with a sense of humor. Don't liter my profile comments section with insults, as you did earlier (I deleted that crap). Settle down and discuss people's trepidation with a better demeanor, please. 

My comment about following Brown has little to do with "I told you so" and more to do with my life-long love of the game, following players across the league, and the interest of reflecting back on choices teams make during the draft and how hindsight is a hell of a thing. 

Relax, and let's enjoy night 2 of our draft process without fighting. 

Your past comments do not show what you just said. I am not fighting with anyone, just speaking my opinion. If you think my comments are littering you screen then by all means you know what the ignore button is.

Your past comments do not show what you just said. I am not fighting with anyone, just speaking my opinion. If you think my comments are littering you screen then by all means you know what the ignore button is.

That might be because you're being a jerk and I'm not. You have now called me a "bandwagon fan" in my profile comment, and a "non-colts fan" here in a public thread. That is not simply giving an opinion, that is being a jerk. Stop being a jerk, please. 

I don't take the 'ignore' feature lightly, I hate to use it. I've had no issue with you in the past, so I'd rather hope that you're just in a bad mood or whatever, and let this slide. Questioning another members fandom is taboo, a practice one should never enter into lightly. 

My unending love for this team is exactly what drives me to espouse emotion when I feel we may have made an error. 

We could have traded back into round 2 and gotten two of the following: DL, Edge rusher, NT or S.  Excellent talent left for today.  Dorsett may be BPA, but we did not need another WR.  I sat and watched draft for 3 1/2 hrs and then with great excitement and anticipation waited for the Colts' pick.  Holding my breath, fidgity and nervous, A NT, S, Edge rusher (Gregory stil there)......WHAT!  A WR?  No!  tell me it aint so.  Wow, after the Trent Richardson screwup, you would have thought that Griggs would have taken a defensive player so that we could "Stop the run" and be competitive with the Pats and Steelers and other rushing teams.  Really concerned.  any thoughts?

There are rumors that BB expected the Colts to select Brown and had a trade in hand (actually prematurely announced by the Boston Globe) to use if the player he wanted wasn't available.  When the Colts passed on Brown, BB and crew decided to pass on the trade and take him. 

Don't let Polian's comments fool you, he's not a strict 1 gap guy.  One of his biggest assets is his versatility and ability to play the interior and end, and be a three down guy with substantial pass rush ability.

Texas lined him up all over the place:

bTvsEPO.jpg

There are rumors that BB expected the Colts to select Brown and had a trade in hand (actually prematurely announced by the Boston Globe) to use if the player he wanted wasn't available.  When the Colts passed on Brown, BB and crew decided to pass on the trade and take him. 

Don't let Polian's comments fool you, he's not a strict 1 gap guy.  One of his biggest assets is his versatility and ability to play the interior and end, and be a three down guy with substantial pass rush ability.

Texas lined him up all over the place:

bTvsEPO.jpg

Polian called him the steal of the draft earlier today.

You're going to have to explain that post to me.

I have no idea what you're trying to say?

Who said anything about being contacted or anything else?

Trades are made all the time.   Grigson is no stranger to them.    What was incredibly time sensitive?

And where did we read this?    Guide me and I'll be happy to read it.....

I'm trying to dig up an article. I read something years ago when the trade was made that suggested Grigson was immediately excited by the offer, and that he was aware another team might jump on Trent quickly. In other words, if Grigson tried to barter down too far for too long before settling, he would've lost out, hence the mention of time sensitivity. 

All water under the bridge if Grigson could make good with this 2015 draft, but he's off to a dubious start by selecting purely by BPA for our deepest unit. The contention I have with Grigson claiming that BPA is the unwavering mantra of his draft approach; What if the BPA was a QB? Is he tellin' me that he'd take a QB? Why was WR even on the board? 

I would liken viewing Dorsett as the BPA to there being a QB that was the BPA on the board. 

OK...  after watching some highlights on the web and listening to the GURU Rick V...    I guess he is right...    TY was our only legit threat to score from anywhere...  now there are at least 2 hopefully 3...    but dang Indy can only play 2 or 3 at a time...  some one is going to sit....     and that just sucks.  

I still don't like the pick all that much but .....    lets see if Indy can land a couple starters on D tonight???   

But I must say NEXT season the thought of TY, DM, PHIL D, and AJ on the field at the same time is scary...      And TY is not going anywhere.      It will be on e of the TE's....

I almost fell off my seat when the Colts did not pick Brown. Then I prayed he would be there at 32 for us. This is very reminiscent of when the Pats got Wilfork at #21 back in 2004. Brown is his replacement and has tremendous versatility.

Why did the Colts take a WR? By far the most surprising pick of round one. The draft is loaded at WR.

I was praying the colts would get wilfork that year......and then watch the patriots take him.....barf.

I was praying the colts would get wilfork that year......and then watch the patriots take him.....barf.

It is killing the Boston media to not be able to criticize Bill today. In fact one of the biggest haters on one of our radio stations actually said that the Pats are doing a good job of building the defense to be better up front given they lost Revis. Imagine that, Bill actually had a plan? :)