Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How many here think Werner is a bust?

RockThatBlue

give me Fredrick Bell Lacy Warford Rhodes or Alonso

They would be nice to have now, for sure.

But at the time we had Ballard, Mr corkscrew TD.  No need to draft a RB in round one that year (if any year).  (Can't assume a future injury to Ballard)

Rhodes would have taken Toler's place and likely have played no better (can't assume a future injury).  The 1st round pick would be wasted because you're just trading talent for talent....not adding talent where it is needed.

Warford would have been overdrafted at that spot..a trade down would've been appropriate.  And I would have liked that move.

I agree with you about Frederick and Alonso.  But in every draft there are players that outperform players that were drafted ahead of them.  That's not a kncok on Grigs or Werner, its just a reality.  This Werner situation is really no different.

Seriously, the thread is about calling the guy a bust or not after 21 games.  Who cares...he's been a disappointment so far no doubt. 

If people purport to use stats, and data, and so called science to present their "objective" decision, I'm sure that the stats, data, and science would also show a strong correlation between the folks who go out of their way to label him a bust after 21 games....and the people who simply didn't like the pick two years ago.  

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They would be nice to have now, for sure.

But at the time we had Ballard, Mr corkscrew TD. No need to draft a RB in round one that year (if any year). (Can't assume a future injury to Ballard)

Rhodes would have taken Toler's place and likely have played no better (can't assume a future injury). The 1st round pick would be wasted because you're just trading talent for talent....not adding talent where it is needed.

Warford would have been overdrafted at that spot..a trade down would've been appropriate. And I would have liked that move.

I agree with you about Frederick and Alonso. But in every draft there are players that outperform players that were drafted ahead of them. That's not a kncok on Grigs or Werner, its just a reality. This Werner situation is really no different.

Seriously, the thread is about calling the guy a bust or not after 21 games. Who cares...he's been a disappointment so far no doubt.

If people purport to use stats, and data, and so called science to present their "objective" decision, I'm sure that the stats, data, and science would also show a strong correlation between the folks who go out of their way to label him a bust after 21 games....and the people who simply didn't like the pick two years ago.

Warford wouldn't have been over drafted he is a good guard

Early 2nd year. If Werner wasn't fully ready to execute his pass cover assignment, don't give it to him. This is on Pagano too, then.

Talking about coaches needing to put players in a position to succeed, the corollary fits. Don't put him in a position to fail either. Don't give the other team an automatic TD...

I can accept that far easier than I can accept that werner should have been expected to make that play. However, just playing devils advocate, there's not a LB on the team (not one on many teams period) that could be expected to make that play every time against a vzery good vet qb/TE combo

I can accept that far easier than I can accept that werner should have been expected to make that play. However, just playing devils advocate, there's not a LB on the team (not one on many teams period) that could be expected to make that play every time against a vzery good vet qb/TE combo

I don't know if we do or do not have a player that could defend that play.  True. Or if we do, that they were coached on how to do it.  I do know this.  This is situational football and Bill Belichick loves it, lives it, teaches it, and would have practiced it and with his choice of players and coached them on their duties in that situation. It's what BB does and why he is so good. And why NE is rarely caught out of sorts in any situation.  Proof is here-

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2008/07/24/belichick_practices_what_he_teaches/?page=full

So maybe the player doesn't get full brunt, if he was never coached on responsibilities in this scenario, nor ever practiced it to get a feel for it...

But it doesn't change the outcome or perception.

If anyone on this board called Jerry Hughes a bust, they forfeit their validity in my eyes as a legit talent opinion. In reality, the choice of calling Werner a bust is no different than calling Hughes a bust. It's still not an exact science.

But because this is a message board where all opinions are allowed, my opinion is that nearly everyone here has weak drafting insight......me included.

Yeeeehawwww, draft day is upon us! After this weekend, all this complaining about past draft choices can turn to complaining about the new draft choices! It will be sooooooo different. Get out yer pitchforks!

Go back through the history of the first round and tell me how many became "good" football players....     It is hit and miss...    

Just the way it is...     Colts tried...     They could have taken Leif  or RG3....    just saying... 

Man, you guys have some low standards for what constitutes a good player.

If Bjorn had Williams and Darius...   HERE...       we would be saying Jerry "Who" .s ... 

Your only as good as the players around you...  unless you are SPECIAL....

If he goes to the Bills and becomes awesome, I'm going to be some kind of pi$$ed. 

Go back through the history of the first round and tell me how many became "good" football players....     It is hit and miss...    

Just the way it is...     Colts tried...     They could have taken Leif  or RG3....    just saying... 

What's that got to do with Werner being bad? 

If anyone on this board called Jerry Hughes a bust, they forfeit their validity in my eyes as a legit talent opinion. In reality, the choice of calling Werner a bust is no different than calling Hughes a bust. It's still not an exact science.

But because this is a message board where all opinions are allowed, my opinion is that nearly everyone here has weak drafting insight......me included.

Yeeeehawwww, draft day is upon us! After this weekend, all this complaining about past draft choices can turn to complaining about the new draft choices! It will be sooooooo different. Get out yer pitchforks!

The difference is Hughes has physical gifts Werner just doesn't possess.

To save time and prevent more hate-on-Werner threads being started at weird times during the season (or offseason), can we just have a biased-against-Werner thread made as a sticky?

Just like all those posters were biased against TRich?

Is Werner a bust?  I would have to say at this point in his career it is to early to tell, but I think he might get better this year although his playing time is in jeopardy.  I just hope he can help the D become stronger in the run game by being a good edge setter and play smarter.  To me a bust is someone who does not contribute at all!

yep really

So good he can't beat out a decent run stopper in Eric walden lol. Funny how Werner was full go all week leading up to the patriots playoff game and all of a sudden he is placed on IR.....against a team that runs it down the colts throat.