Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bryce Petty

What do you guys think of the Baylor QB? In my opinion I think he's the best QB in the draft. I see him going somewhere in the 2nd round-early 3rd round. Throws the ball well, stands in the pocket, delivers dimes, isn't afraid to take a hit, and can run if needed. Might get a lot of crap for this but oh well, hit me with your best shots. :P

He's definitely not the best QB in the draft to me. Jameis and Mariota have much better physical tools. Plus Jameis played in a pro style system and Petty came out of the system that made RG3 win a Heisman. I think he has potential if he goes to the right team.

I really wouldn't mind seeing us take a shot on a QB in the 4th round or so.  Draft a guy, give him limited playing time and make him look great, then trade him away for a boatload of draft picks to a QB-needy team.  We could pull a Kevin Kolb move.  Obviously, you can't go into the draft thinking you're going to take a QB in the 3rd or 4th round no matter what because you can't predict how the draft will go.  If a highly ranked player at a position of need is available, then we should take him.  But if a QB is the highest ranked available player on our board, I wouldn't mind seeing us pull the trigger on him.  Petty is the ideal candidate for this since he has the physical tools and the intangibles, but he needs time to learn how to read a defense.  However, I think he'll be gone before round 4.  That's where you get into discussions about Grayson, Hundley, or Mannion

I really wouldn't mind seeing us take a shot on a QB in the 4th round or so.  Draft a guy, give him limited playing time and make him look great, then trade him away for a boatload of draft picks to a QB-needy team.  We could pull a Kevin Kolb move.  Obviously, you can't go into the draft thinking you're going to take a QB in the 3rd or 4th round no matter what because you can't predict how the draft will go.  If a highly ranked player at a position of need is available, then we should take him.  But if a QB is the highest ranked available player on our board, I wouldn't mind seeing us pull the trigger on him.  Petty is the ideal candidate for this since he has the physical tools and the intangibles, but he needs time to learn how to read a defense.  However, I think he'll be gone before round 4.  That's where you get into discussions about Grayson, Hundley, or Mannion

I'd really like to take a QB in round 5, if he is there.  Sean Mannion.  This guy is from a multiple read system, flashes some NFL starter potential, and would be a really solid backup.  He will also not expect to be 'the guy', especially if Colts draft him to become Andrew Luck's backup.  He can win games for us as backup, especially if we get the running game going as mandated. And Hasselbeck cant be expected to be paid handsomely to mentor any more or be reliable as a backup QB (age) beyond this year, IMO.

As far as Petty, I feel there is a steep cliff drop off from Winston / Mariota.  And each of those two have their own red flags (Winston - maturity issues, Mariota under center and snap counts)  To me, Grayson is number 3, Petty #4, Mannion and Hundley #5 and 6.

I feel Winston is going to be NFL ready quicker (day 1 starter), but Mariota might actually be the better QB after he learns a pro system and the game slows down for him. Then a huge drop off.  But I feel OP is right in one sense, after those two go, Petty will likely be next off the board.  And it could even happen in round 2; though I'd never go that high for him.

Petty is going to struggle with having to read an NFL defense and then realizing all those 5 yard crossing routes don't work like they did at Baylor. His recievers had off the chart numbers in terms of YAC. His passing tree was very limited. He's going to take a while to develop, IF he ever does.

I'd really like to take a QB in round 5, if he is there.  Sean Mannion.  This guy is from a multiple read system, flashes some NFL starter potential, and would be a really solid backup.  He will also not expect to be 'the guy', especially if Colts draft him to become Andrew Luck's backup.  He can win games for us as backup, especially if we get the running game going as mandated. And Hasselbeck cant be expected to be paid handsomely to mentor any more or be reliable as a backup QB (age) beyond this year, IMO.

As far as Petty, I feel there is a steep cliff drop off from Winston / Mariota.  And each of those two have their own red flags (Winston - maturity issues, Mariota under center and snap counts)  To me, Grayson is number 3, Petty #4, Mannion and Hundley #5 and 6.

I feel Winston is going to be NFL ready quicker (day 1 starter), but Mariota might actually be the better QB after he learns a pro system and the game slows down for him. Then a huge drop off.  But I feel OP is right in one sense, after those two go, Petty will likely be next off the board.  And it could even happen in round 2; though I'd never go that high for him.

Everything I've read and seen echos what you've said.  There's a big drop off from 1 and 2 to the rest of the group.  And all of those guys ranked #3 and beyond have big questions marks.  I've read some analyses that say this draft only has 2 starters in it.  The rest of the QBs will be backups

Everything I've read and seen echos what you've said.  There's a big drop off from 1 and 2 to the rest of the group.  And all of those guys ranked #3 and beyond have big questions marks.  I've read some analyses that say this draft only has 2 starters in it.  The rest of the QBs will be backups

I know QB's like Petty and Mannion will publicly spout they're the best QB in the draft.  But in my mind, a QB like Petty sits right between Brandon Weeden and Matt Schaub.  I like Mannion, but he needs time to learn to get his feet under him, the game to slow down, and get his confidence up before he can be really productive at the next level.  We also need better line play and a stouter running game, which we are on track to do. A couple years under Luck and he might be trade worthy.  Until then, Andrew Luck's (slightly better) version of Jim Sorgi.  And that's not a bad thing for the Colts either.

Hundley is just as good a passer as Bortles was/is. 

Hundley has things to work on - like most rookie QBs - but I could see him having a nice career.  Lots of tools in his toolbox. 

With Hasselback for one year, and knowing Luck is strong and sturdy, I think it would be a good idea to draft a QB also. I look at it a little different though. It would be nice to have a QB we could get in the fourth, and have him tutor under Luck. Have him play a lot of the preseason games in his 2nd and 3rd years. You usually have a QB look great in pre-season, and I think a good QB learning under Luck could become a really good QB. The point is, we do what Andy Reid is best at, and Belichick does it a little too. Develop a QB, and after year 2 or 3 trade him for whatever we can get. Wash, repeat every 3 years. Reid trained QB's under McNabb for years and got great picks for it. Cassell trained under Brady, and yes he played for a year during the injury, but he was a system QB, who they got 2 seconds for. Point is, we get a QB every 3-4 years, let them learn under Luck, and then use them for draft picks. I think it is a smart practice.

Petty is horrible.

Look at who came before Petty who plays in the same kind of system, who was picked in the first. RGIII and Brandon Weeden come to mind, as well as Manziel. That system is not a good system to develop into a pocket passer. The guys come to the pros not ready for the pro system. Can you think of one player who has performed highly coming from one of the spread systems? I can't off topic. I think Petty, although gritty, and having the physical makeup, will have the same problems. He would be worth though taking in the 4th and see if you could develop him.

Look at who came before Petty who plays in the same kind of system, who was picked in the first. RGIII and Brandon Weeden come to mind, as well as Manziel. That system is not a good system to develop into a pocket passer. The guys come to the pros not ready for the pro system. Can you think of one player who has performed highly coming from one of the spread systems? I can't off topic. I think Petty, although gritty, and having the physical makeup, will have the same problems. He would be worth though taking in the 4th and see if you could develop him.

Plenty of QBs have had success coming from spread systems. Petty is horrible because he has no accuracy, not because of his system.

Plenty of QBs have had success coming from spread systems. Petty is horrible because he has no accuracy, not because of his system.

Would you please be kind enough to list them here for everyone to see....

I've thought of a few,  but I'd like to see if my list matches your list.

Would you please be kind enough to list them here for everyone to see....

I've thought of a few, but I'd like to see if my list matches your list.

Cam Newton, Alex Smith, Drew Brees, Ryan Tannehill, and Kaepernick off the top of my head.

Washington tried this with Kirk Cousins.     It hasn't worked out.   Kevin Kolb scenario's are more exceptions than the rule.

This franchise is still building.    I don't think we can invest a 4 in a QB with the hope that he'll turn into a 3 or more somewhere down the road.   

We need every pick we can get to build for this year and next.

Washington tried this with Kirk Cousins. It hasn't worked out. Kevin Kolb scenario's are more exceptions than the rule.

This franchise is still building. I don't think we can invest a 4 in a QB with the hope that he'll turn into a 3 or more somewhere down the road.

Not only that, but it depends on your QB getting hurt. Dumb. If you want more picks, trade them like everyone else does.

Washington tried this with Kirk Cousins.     It hasn't worked out.   Kevin Kolb scenario's are more exceptions than the rule.

This franchise is still building.    I don't think we can invest a 4 in a QB with the hope that he'll turn into a 3 or more somewhere down the road.   

You have to limit the player.  Cousins has way more snaps in Washington than Kolb had in Philly.  That was one thing that really surprised me about Kolb.  I think he had played in something like 3 quarters and there was a ton of hype around him.  I was surprised at how much hype there was despite such limited playing time.  You can't give the rookie 12 regular season quarters and expect to be able to trade him away for a lot.  They're rookies, so they're going to screw up.  Put them in at specific times and call easy reads for them to make them look good.  It's obviously much more difficult to do than what I'm saying, but it's possible.

I also don't think we're building anymore.  I think we have the core and we're just adding to it.  We're no longer building in the sense that we were the last few years.

Not only that, but it depends on your QB getting hurt. Dumb. If you want more picks, trade them like everyone else does.

No, it doesn't.  You give the guy some limited playing time during the regular season and some good playing time during the preseason.  Hasselbeck got some snaps in last year even though Luck was never hurt.  You don't have to depend on your QB getting hurt; you depend on your coaching staff being able to make a guy look better than he really is in limited time.

You have to limit the player. Cousins has way more snaps in Washington than Kolb had in Philly. That was one thing that really surprised me about Kolb. I think he had played in something like 3 quarters and there was a ton of hype around him. I was surprised at how much hype there was despite such limited playing time. You can't give the rookie 12 regular season quarters and expect to be able to trade him away for a lot. They're rookies, so they're going to screw up. Put them in at specific times and call easy reads for them to make them look good. It's obviously much more difficult to do than what I'm saying, but it's possible.

I also don't think we're building anymore. I think we have the core and we're just adding to it. We're no longer building in the sense that we were the last few years.

No, it doesn't. You give the guy some limited playing time during the regular season and some good playing time during the preseason. Hasselbeck got some snaps in last year even though Luck was never hurt. You don't have to depend on your QB getting hurt; you depend on your coaching staff being able to make a guy look better than he really is in limited time.

You're not going to raise a guy's value by giving him 10 regular season passes. It's just not sensical.

You're not going to raise a guy's value by giving him 10 regular season passes. It's just not sensical.

It happened with Kevin Kolb.  A team with common sense won't be influenced by such a small amount of film, but when teams are desperate for QBs (ie. Cleveland, possibly the Jets, etc.), you might be able to get a good deal.  It's not likely, but I don't see the harm in trying to do it.  If he doesn't become good trade bait, we could at least have a backup that will be in the system and around Luck for many years

It happened with Kevin Kolb. A team with common sense won't be influenced by such a small amount of film, but when teams are desperate for QBs (ie. Cleveland, possibly the Jets, etc.), you might be able to get a good deal. It's not likely, but I don't see the harm in trying to do it. If he doesn't become good trade bait, we could at least have a backup that will be in the system and around Luck for many years

Kolb started seven games! So in order for it to work, Luck has to get hurt, the backup had to play well, and there has to be a dumb team.