Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philip B. Wilson In Shouting Match At West 56Th....

cmgww

You know, I really think it is that simple that Bill is just being a jerk here. I really do. More and more, this fits the profile of a guy who has a massive ego that needs it stroked constantly or he gets enraged. That's why he freaked out when they benched our starters and the fan base revolted. That's why he was choking that Jets employee a few years ago. That's why he treats the local media as being beneath him and only talks to national guys.

And news flash, if it's your job to cover a team eventually you're going to have to write something negative about them. That's part of the job. If the Colts organization is going to throw a hissy fit and stop talking to people because they hurt their feelings, then we need to do so some serious growing up over at 56th street, put on our big boy pants and act like adults.

The problem I have with the local media's criticism of Bill Polian is that it usually has nothing to do with the product on the field. This is what I didn't get until recently. The Colts are a good freakin' team, and have been for several years. The criticisms from the local media have been about Polian's abrasive personality and their limited access, namely the fact that the national guys get the big scoops while the local guys beg for table scraps.

Losing in the first round of the playoffs isn't the worst thing that can happen to an NFL team, especially when they're on a record run of wins and playoff appearances. No one is satisfied with just making the playoffs every year, but it's not like we're talking about the Lions or the Bills, or some team that just sucks every year. The Colts are, at worst, the 3rd best NFL franchise of the last decade. The media doesn't exactly have a lot to complain about, with regard to the product on the field.

(By the way, you keep bringing up Boston, but they worship Belichick, and only went sour on Francona recently.)

And now, we're 1-13, and there's plenty to complain about -- on the field. But we're talking about the way the front office treats the local media? Wilson and Kravitz are complaining about a lack of access, and coming across like petulant, spoiled, bratty children. I might start calling them the Winklevoss Twins. Seriously, this is your chance (the first in ten years) to ream the Colts front office for a lack of talent, for poor coaching, for being the worst team in the NFL ... and instead you're complaining about access?

No doubt, Bill Polian has his share in this. But come on. Why do I care who gets the scoops or how the local media gets treated? I just care about the info. I don't care if Polian calls a NY station to give them information on Manning's status, I just care that I get the information.

And really, in all of this, it's Phil B. Wilson who's in a shouting match at West 56th Street.

An opinion largely backed up by facts? I guess I'm not sure what is expected of them. Are we supposed to pretend that negative things have happened? If you're a journalist you're supposed to report that kind of stuff. It's part of the job.

And if 56th street doesn't want to hear it, then don't have crappy drafts.

Absolutely..."taking shots" is part of a journalists job. I think there are different types of shots. For example, there is a difference between pointing out we have had crappy drafts and saying that the Polians are toxic. Nonetheless, in both instances, a journalist is taking a shot at the FO.

What inapproprate conduct by Bill Polian are you referring to? It's one thing to dislike him and think he's arrogant, rude, condescending, or whatever. It's another to say that he's actually done something wrong. I'm asking an honest question...

In my book, being all those things you say is wrong, and sets a bad tone that will permiate down through the org. Being incompetent (pulling starters, v poor contracts, terrible coach hire, consistently bad drafting) is one thing, but bescmirching the good name of a fine football club on a regular basis, then banning one of your best players for going for a drunken swim (example) is just diabolical.

Who says I dislike him btw?

JMV has stated on multiple occasions that Polian wants nothing to do with him, so I don't know where you're getting that. I've also heard him say on multiple occasions that they've asked him to come on his show and he never even gets a response. When he broke the story on Manning missing the season, he called the colts to tell them about it, and it took them 5 days to return his call. As to our media taking shots at him? Please. Polian lives a charmed life here in Indy. If the Colts were in Philly or another east coast market how many sports writers would have been crucifying the team for all those one and dones? heck, they Jets are getting raked over hot coals and they went the the AFCCG twice in Rex's first two years. The bottom line is that he doesn't talk to guys like Kravitz or Wilson because they're beneath him. That's why he gives all his info to national guys like Glazer or Clayton. It's ego. Pure and simple. It's the same attitude he takes with the fans when he talks down to us on his radio show or when someone dares question him. Yes, that is an issue. This team, as an organization talks about doing things the right way. Which means that when you interact with other people you treat them with the same kind of dignity and respect you want them to treat you with. That means you don't go around choking employees of other teams, or berating a reporter for asking a legitimate question. If we can't hold our president to the most basic standard of decency, we're just a big bunch of hypocrites, and there is nothing worse than a hypocrite. He doesn't have to be a choir boy. But it's not to much to ask to pretend to be a decent human being when you publiclly address people. Everytime he doesn't that reflects badly on the organization, and that is a legitimate issue.

Accidently hit the negative button but I think you're spot on! And that's why I posted that Jim needs to take him out of the spotlight. Get him out of relating to the media and the fans!

(By the way, you keep bringing up Boston, but they worship Belichick, and only went sour on Francona recently.)
Well, I mean he did win 3 superbowls and has a playoff record of something obnoxious like 15-5. And even then Belichick still gets reamed by Boston Media. Go over to a Patriots board and ask them about a guy name Ron Borges.

That or if JJ is lurking I'm sure he can confirm that Boston Media takes plenty of shots at Belichick

Again, our local guys treat this team with the softest of kid gloves. Which is fine, I'm glad we don't have media like New York does because I don't think it helps the team, but that said, pretending like Polian has it rough here is just hilarious compared to most other markets.

In my book, being all those things you say is wrong, and sets a bad tone that will permiate down through the org. Being incompetent (pulling starters, v poor contracts, terrible coach hire, consistently bad drafting) is one thing, but bescmirching the good name of a fine football club on a regular basis, then banning one of your best players for going for a drunken swim (example) is just diabolical.

Who says I dislike him btw?

Sounds like you dislike him, seeing as how you're calling him diabolical. If not, I don't mean to assume anything. Doesn't really matter to me. I don't necessarily like him, I just don't think he's as bad as others do.

Anyways, the Colts don't suspend or cut players because they're arrogant, rude or condescending. They don't cut players for being short with the media.

Well, I mean he did win 3 superbowls and has a playoff record of something obnoxious like 15-5. And even then Belichick still gets reamed by Boston Media. Go over to a Patriots board and ask them about a guy name Ron Borges.

That or if JJ is lurking I'm sure he can confirm that Boston Media takes plenty of shots at Belichick

Again, our local guys treat this team with the softest of kid gloves. Which is fine, I'm glad we don't have media like New York does because I don't think it helps the team, but that said, pretending like Polian has it rough here is just hilarious compared to most other markets.

I agree that he doesn't have it as hard as he could (double entendre) but they certainly aren't bowing at his altar.

I agree that he doesn't have it as hard as he could (double entendre)

Giggity.
but they certainly aren't bowing at his altar.

No you're right, and I don't want to make it sound like I'm saying they are.

Just that compared to most of the big east coast markets and how they treat sports team in their city, we basically lay Polian down with a blanky and juice box. Now, that says more about the east coast media than it doesn't anything else. But the point still stands, he has nothing to complain about from local media when they occasionally take him to task from time to time.

Sounds like you dislike him, seeing as how you're calling him diabolical. If not, I don't mean to assume anything. Doesn't really matter to me. I don't necessarily like him, I just don't think he's as bad as others do.

Anyways, the Colts don't suspend or cut players because they're arrogant, rude or condescending. They don't cut players for being short with the media.

Hey, in the right context that might be a compliment.

:stir:

Giggity.

No you're right, and I don't want to make it sound like I'm saying they are.

Just that compared to most of the big east coast markets and how they treat sports team in their city, we basically lay Polian down with a blanky and juice box. Now, that says more about the east coast media than it doesn't anything else. But the point still stands, he has nothing to complain about from local media when they occasionally take him to task from time to time.

What I don't like about the way they "take him to task" is that they complain about the way he treats them. They don't complain about the team. They haven't really had anything to complain about before this season. The Colts have been a really good team for several years now. Every time we hear Wilson or Kravitz complaining about something, it's about Polian not giving them the exclusives. Which I couldn't care less about, honestly.

If they want to "rip" him over failed draft picks or anything like that, be my guest. There's just not a lot to complain about when your team wins 100 games in a decade, you know?

As a STH, if I get my papers in the mail asking for my $7,500, while Caldwell is still employed, and the off-chance Manning isn't here, I can 100% assure you that a check will not be included in the package I send back.

I can not imagine what will happen if we have Manning AND lose a bunch of games. As well as having Caldwell..You just blew my mind Smitto, I don't even think I could comprehend that being an option.....

Lol well its possible although we all know its not gonna happen... BUT if that was to happen i could just imagine drastic changes being made mid season... just to be on the safe side the colts should fire caldwell regardless... someone needs to get the short end of the stick here.

So again, according to JMV, Bill Polian won't talk to him. I've never heard Polian on JMVs show and according to JMV, he's never been on his show.

Again, JMV stated he called the Colts to verify the story. Why would he do that if it came from Polian. And if it did come from Polian, why did it take a week for them to return his call?

Again, the coverage from local media towards the Colts has been the very definition of kid gloves. If we went one and done as many times as we have here in New York, Polian would have been run out of town on a rail.

So he only is willing to listen to yes men who stroke his ego? I mean, that certainly fits the profile but that's not a defense of anything. Again, our local media treat the Colts with the softest of kid gloves. Even Kravitz can't hold a candle next to Boston or New York media. It's laughable to insinuate that the local media has somehow been unfair to the Colts organization.

You know, I really think it is that simple that Bill is just being a jerk here. I really do. More and more, this fits the profile of a guy who has a massive ego that needs it stroked constantly or he gets enraged. That's why he freaked out when they benched our starters and the fan base revolted. That's why he was choking that Jets employee a few years ago. That's why he treats the local media as being beneath him and only talks to national guys.

And news flash, if it's your job to cover a team eventually you're going to have to write something negative about them. That's part of the job. If the Colts organization is going to throw a hissy fit and stop talking to people because they hurt their feelings, then we need to do so some serious growing up over at 56th street, put on our big boy pants and act like adults.

First part is not true Polian has been on his show and in fact I used to work with JMV when he was at WNDE so I know for a fact he's been on his show because he would come on with JMV rather than going on with 1070 who had the Colts contract. Polian normally comes on JMV's show at least two or three times a year. Again not a lot but it's more than he is willing to talk to other people in the market and I think that has some to do with how JMV treats the Colts. Also if you listen to JMV he will say he loves talking to Polian on his show because he thinks he's a wealth of football knowledge and he can just say football and Polian will talk for 20 minutes. So maybe you have missed it but I know for a fact he has had Polian on his show and i know for a fact he's talked about having him on his show.

I never said it wasn't the medias job to write something negative. In fact this would make at least a fourth time I've said I don't want them to only kiss Polian's backside. I have no issue with them being negative about the Colts when it's deserved. There are times Kravitz and Wilison cross the line. Example this is a tweet from Kravitz today:

"Got to say, I love sitting and shooting the bull with Larry Bird. Just a regular guy, albeit a legend. Just like with BIll Polian. #not."

Now you tell me the need to throw the line about Polian in there at the end other than to take a shot. I am not talking about things like going after Polian for things like drafting Jerry Hughes and having him be a bust or how Tony Ugoh really set the franchise back where they have an extremely fair complant.

Also frankly and this is probably my biggest issue with Kravitz and Wilison the constent crying about Polian not being willing to talk to them. If it came up once or twice okay so be it but it comes up in EVERY interview they do. If you are annoyed that Polian wont talk to you then go out and get other sources to give you information and start reporting that news till you force them into talking to you so they can get their side of spin out there. If JMV can break the biggest news story with the Colts before anyone else (even if his source wasn't Polian it was someone in the know over there) then so can Kravitz and Wilison if they are willing to do some work.

Again I don't disagree with what people are saying about Polian, frankly I agree with the idea he's a jerk and he likes having his ego stroked and he hates hearing he's wrong. I am not out to to disprove any of those points. I am just saying sometimes I can understand why Polian acts the way he does and that Kravitz and Wilison aren't just the poor little victums, they share some of the blame by stiring the pot at times so to speak.

The problem I have with the local media's criticism of Bill Polian is that it usually has nothing to do with the product on the field. This is what I didn't get until recently. The Colts are a good freakin' team, and have been for several years. The criticisms from the local media have been about Polian's abrasive personality and their limited access, namely the fact that the national guys get the big scoops while the local guys beg for table scraps.

Losing in the first round of the playoffs isn't the worst thing that can happen to an NFL team, especially when they're on a record run of wins and playoff appearances. No one is satisfied with just making the playoffs every year, but it's not like we're talking about the Lions or the Bills, or some team that just sucks every year. The Colts are, at worst, the 3rd best NFL franchise of the last decade. The media doesn't exactly have a lot to complain about, with regard to the product on the field.

And now, we're 1-13, and there's plenty to complain about -- on the field. But we're talking about the way the front office treats the local media? Wilson and Kravitz are complaining about a lack of access, and coming across like petulant, spoiled, bratty children. I might start calling them the Winklevoss Twins. Seriously, this is your chance (the first in ten years) to ream the Colts front office for a lack of talent, for poor coaching, for being the worst team in the NFL ... and instead you're complaining about access?

No doubt, Bill Polian has his share in this. But come on. Why do I care who gets the scoops or how the local media gets treated? I just care about the info. I don't care if Polian calls a NY station to give them information on Manning's status, I just care that I get the information.

And really, in all of this, it's Phil B. Wilson who's in a shouting match at West 56th Street.

Thank you you said exactly what I was tryingto say much better than I could ever say it.

First part is not true Polian has been on his show and in fact I used to work with JMV when he was at WNDE so I know for a fact he's been on his show because he would come on with JMV rather than going on with 1070 who had the Colts contract. Polian normally comes on JMV's show at least two or three times a year. Again not a lot but it's more than he is willing to talk to other people in the market and I think that has some to do with how JMV treats the Colts. Also if you listen to JMV he will say he loves talking to Polian on his show because he thinks he's a wealth of football knowledge and he can just say football and Polian will talk for 20 minutes. So maybe you have missed it but I know for a fact he has had Polian on his show and i know for a fact he's talked about having him on his show..

So explain why JMV has on multiple occasions stated the exact opposite of all this. I've never heard Polian on his show, and I've heard him specifically say that Polian won't come on the show or even really talk to him.

So explain why JMV has on multiple occasions stated the exact opposite of all this. I've never heard Polian on his show, and I've heard him specifically say that Polian won't come on the show or even really talk to him.

No you have not, I know I've heard him with Polian...

In fact...

http://www.stampedeb...1070-the-fan-in

http://www.coltzilla.com/training-camp/bill-polians-thoughts-about-the-team-division-and-important-nfl-issues/

So you would be mistaken to say JMV has never had Polian on the show.

He's been on the show in years past, but not this year and likely never again. JMV has indeed stated that he won't come on the show now. Again, i believe he is mad that JMV got the report out on Manning's need for the surgery before this season because thats when it all started. And the funny part is that JMV reportedly got the info from someone in the front office. JMV has said all year there are info leaks all over that complex, mainly because people are sick of the Polian's over there.

He's been on the show in years past, but not this year and likely never again. JMV has indeed stated that he won't come on the show now. Again, i believe he is mad that JMV got the report out on Manning's need for the surgery before this season because thats when it all started. And the funny part is that JMV reportedly got the info from someone in the front office. JMV has said all year there are info leaks all over that complex, mainly because people are sick of the Polian's over there.

That is exactly what JMV has said. Once JMV broke the news about Manning and after that Polian has refused to come on his show or talk to him. He has been basically blacklisted by them now.

I just love how he got all ticked at Kravitz for asking about Manning considering Caldwell just said that he was not going to practice.

No you have not, I know I've heard him with Polian...

In fact...

http://www.stampedeb...1070-the-fan-in

http://www.coltzilla.com/training-camp/bill-polians-thoughts-about-the-team-division-and-important-nfl-issues/

So you would be mistaken to say JMV has never had Polian on the show.

It seems I stand corrected. However a big thanks to Indy1888 for showing I'm not entirely crazy (just a little)

Thank you you said exactly what I was tryingto say much better than I could ever say it.

I wrote a loooong post on another board (when our board was snatched from us earlier this year) about this very topic. I tried to get my mind around it way back then, and it finally clicked when everybody went up in arms because Polian went on a radio show in NY instead of in Indy.