Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philip B. Wilson In Shouting Match At West 56Th....

cmgww

Just listened to JMV on 1070 the fan here in Indy...local Colts beat writer called in after rumors of a shouting match that occurred during Caldwell's press conference this afternoon...synopsis:

1. Wilson is growing tired of the FO (Polian) and their long running policy of "shutting out" local writers, while giving national guys the scoop. Coincidentally Polian was on Sirius radio today talking about Manning, etc. He called the national guys (Clayton, Schefter, Mortensen, etc. the "Polian Pipeline"

2. The Colts media relations person apparently told Wilson that Polian has "always been available" to local media, which Wilson called ^cowpatties^ on immediately. That's when things got heated between Wilson and the Colts media guy.

3. Wilson told JMV (paraphrasing) that it's a joke the way the Polians handle the media, and put Caldwell in bad situations repeatedly (announcing roster moves before Caldwell even knows or can acknowledge and comment)

4. He refuted the Indy "soft media" label, and recalled a story when Polian went off on a media guy back when Mora was coach (literally shouted the guy at the top of his lungs)

5. Wilson Tweeted about it...read here http://twitter.com/#!/pwilson24....Irsay responded saying "there's no controversy, Manning not ready to play and continues to rehab"

Interesting stuff. Phillip was mad and from his account had every right to be.

3. Wilson told JMV (paraphrasing) that it's a joke the way the Polians handle the media, and put Caldwell in bad situations repeatedly (announcing roster moves before Caldwell even knows or can acknowledge and comment)

This is the one that irritates me. I'm no Caldwell fan, but the lack of communication between him and Polian is staggering and unprofessional. And I don't blame Caldwell for that.

I have to be honest, the more I hear about Polian and how he interacts with people, the less and less I want him around moving forward.

This is the one that irritates me. I'm no Caldwell fan, but the lack of communication between him and Polian is staggering and unprofessional. And I don't blame Caldwell for that.

I have to be honest, the more I hear about Polian and how he interacts with people, the less and less I want him around moving forward.

Did you hear what the afc south blogger Paul Kuharsky had to say about our organization, not nice. That Polian is impossible to deal with and that Caldwell is just a FIGURE HEAD and has no say in matters and no other GM IN FOOTBALL has a show and over shadows the coach like in INDY. NICE INDORSEMENT. Wake up Jim Irasy,and put this guy on a leash!

I really don't care how he interacts with people, that's why they have a PR department. His job is find talent and build a winning football team which he has done a good job of over the course of his career. I've said for years Polian is a jerk, this isn't exactly news to me.

Nor am I shocked this happened. The media has been crying louder than ever this year that the Colts wont talk to them. You know why the Colts wont talk to them? A lot of these guys trash the Colts any chance they get and no I am not talking reasonable shots. I am talking about like when Kravitz would go after Polian when they were in the middle of a winning season. Let's not kid ourselves, Polian hates Kravitz but Kravitz also hates Polian and doesn't hold back on taking a shot whenever he can work it in. As for the other guys at the star they are probably guility because they work with Kravitz but Wilison also isn't above taking a shot and admits it. Ask yourself are you going to help someone out with their job if they are going to go after you anytime they can? I am not saying everything the Colts do is right because I don't think that and I am not saying the media should just kiss their backside because they shouldn't. I am just saying there is two sides to this story and the local media isn't just the poor little victums they try to pretend they are. Case in point, JMV. JMV has always had a good relationship with Polian, probably better than anyone else in the local media. You know why? He's fair. When the Colts should be ripped he rips them but doesn't go over the top with it. When they do well he praises them and in turn Polian treats him right and comes on his show a lot and is on for long periods of time and answers his questions, even back when JMV worked for WNDE and wasn't working for the Colts flagship station. There have even been a few in the "know" who hint that it was Polian himself who tipped JMV off at the start of the year about Peyton's keck being really bad.

Polian is a jerk I am not going to question that, I am also not going to sit here and say aww poor Kravitz and Wilison they get picked on for just wanting to do their job. They bring some of it on themselves. Just this past weekend Kravitz was on Only a Game on PBS and pretty much stopped short of calling Polian a bad human beaning and blaming EVERYTHING that is wrong with the team on Polian. That's going a little far. So in turn I think Polian just gets tired of it and most of the time he responds to it by just not making their job easy. With that said the rat coments Polian had earlier this year was out of line as has been some of the attacks Kravitz has taken over the years at the Polians.

I really don't care how he interacts with people, that's why they have a PR department. His job is find talent and build a winning football team which he has done a good job of over the course of his career. I've said for years Polian is a jerk, this isn't exactly news to me.

Nor am I shocked this happened. The media has been crying louder than ever this year that the Colts wont talk to them. You know why the Colts wont talk to them? A lot of these guys trash the Colts any chance they get and no I am not talking reasonable shots. I am talking about like when Kravitz would go after Polian when they were in the middle of a winning season. Let's not kid ourselves, Polian hates Kravitz but Kravitz also hates Polian and doesn't hold back on taking a shot whenever he can work it in. As for the other guys at the star they are probably guility because they work with Kravitz but Wilison also isn't above taking a shot and admits it. Ask yourself are you going to help someone out with their job if they are going to go after you anytime they can? I am not saying everything the Colts do is right because I don't think that and I am not saying the media should just kiss their backside because they shouldn't. I am just saying there is two sides to this story and the local media isn't just the poor little victums they try to pretend they are. Case in point, JMV. JMV has always had a good relationship with Polian, probably better than anyone else in the local media. You know why? He's fair. When the Colts should be ripped he rips them but doesn't go over the top with it. When they do well he praises them and in turn Polian treats him right and comes on his show a lot and is on for long periods of time and answers his questions, even back when JMV worked for WNDE and wasn't working for the Colts flagship station. There have even been a few in the "know" who hint that it was Polian himself who tipped JMV off at the start of the year about Peyton's keck being really bad.

Polian is a jerk I am not going to question that, I am also not going to sit here and say aww poor Kravitz and Wilison they get picked on for just wanting to do their job. They bring some of it on themselves. Just this past weekend Kravitz was on Only a Game on PBS and pretty much stopped short of calling Polian a bad human beaning and blaming EVERYTHING that is wrong with the team on Polian. That's going a little far. So in turn I think Polian just gets tired of it and most of the time he responds to it by just not making their job easy. With that said the rat coments Polian had earlier this year was out of line as has been some of the attacks Kravitz has taken over the years at the Polians.

So should the media just play polly anna, and get fired for not reporting the facts and just kissing BP BUTT?You admit BP is a jerk, so if you owned this business is he your spokeman?

So should the media just play polly anna, and get fired for not reporting the facts and just kissing BP BUTT?

Read the part in my post where I said I am not saying they should just kiss the Colts backside.

I think the media should be fair, there have been several times that I don't think Kravitz or Wilison have been fair and have taken digs they didn't need to take because of a personal agenda against Polian.

Read the part in my post where I said I am not saying they should just kiss the Colts backside.

I think the media should be fair, there have been several times that I don't think Kravitz or Wilison have been fair and have taken digs they didn't need to take because of a personal agenda against Polian.

Agree, but who created that friction?BP or them. BP reminds me of Bob Knight at his end, I ANSWER TO NOBODY!

Agree, but who created that friction?BP or them. BP reminds me of Bob Knight at his end, I ANSWER TO NOBODY!

I think both sides are to blame for it, Polian might have started it but you know what Kravitz and Wilison keep it alive too. That's why I laid out JMV because like I said Polian is very good to JMV and I think that's because JMV is fair to him. I think Kravitz and Wilson mistae a personal dislike against them by Polian for a dislike against the local media.

I can see the Polian and Knight comparison.

I think both sides are to blame for it, Polian might have started it but you know what Kravitz and Wilison keep it alive too. That's why I laid out JMV because like I said Polian is very good to JMV and I think that's because JMV is fair to him. I think Kravitz and Wilson mistae a personal dislike against them by Polian for a dislike against the local media.

I can see the Polian and Knight comparison.

Nice debate, if I dont chat you up again this week, it is getting busy. HAPPY HOLIDAYS, and go COLTS!

I'm a Polian supporter, but I gotta agree with you. A GM should not stick his nose into what kind of defense should be run, that's why you bring in the defensive coordinator. As a GM, I think he should stick to scouting talent, drafting guys, making contract moves, etc.

I'm a Polian supporter, but I gotta agree with you. A GM should not stick his nose into what kind of defense should be run, that's why you bring in the defensive coordinator. As a GM, I think he should stick to scouting talent, drafting guys, making contract moves, etc.

Bill Polian, Vice Chairman

Just a reminder.

Which, of coarse, makes it worse.

That is the essence of Polian. He has this insatiable need to control everyone and everything. He knows the national media doesn't have the same perspective of Colts issues as the Indy media and will use them to get across his one sided views.

So if said GM or Vice Chairman continually do those sort of things, what is the remedy? It doesn't appear our tweeting owner is capable of reining Polian in. Whether Caldwell is fired or not, Polian will continue to pull all the strings - personnel, coaching, management and now apparently all club related media coverage.

This is all Irsay's fault if you ask me. He has allowed Polian to get completely out of control.

This problem has been developing for years. Until Irsay puts a leash on Polian it will only get worse.

Ever see a short executive that was not an egotist? Not only is he short, he is a small person (very condescending) on the inside also.

Ever see a short executive that was not an egotist? Not only is he short, he is a small person (very condescending) on the inside also.

I just don't understand how this PR department has let this spin this far out of control. I find it kind of childish to ignore

your local media simply because they have stepped on someones ego a time or two. At some level we all have people that we have to be accountable to . I think there are some problems on 56th st. We have a coach and a GM that are never on the same page, a GM who thinks he is the coach and beyond reproach and a good owner, but does'nt seem to care or have anything to say about any of this. UNREAL.

I just don't understand how this PR department has let this spin this far out of control. I find it kind of childish to ignore

your local media simply because they have stepped on someones ego a time or two. At some level we all have people that we have to be accountable to . I think there are some problems on 56th st. We have a coach and a GM that are never on the same page, a GM who thinks he is the coach and beyond reproach and a good owner, but does'nt seem to care or have anything to say about any of this. UNREAL.

EASY ANSWER.....They've had the poster boy of the entire NFL at QB for how many years? Polian doesn't HAVE TO be even polite to people if he doesn't want to. You'd think the FO would take some lessons from Peyton, wouldn't ya?

Saw the media interviewing Peyton one day and someone asked "Where do you think Labron James ought go, Peyton, Miami or NY?"....

Peyton's answer?...."I'm kinda hopin' he'll come to the Pacers"....Now THAT'S PR at it's finest.

I don't think the issue is a lack of communication. JC knows what is going on, but he's being put in bad positions because the Polian policy is don't say anything, all announcements will be made by me. Let's not be ignorant fans and think that JC is in the dark. He is very well informed, but the Polian insistance on there being one voice (Bill) makes JC look like more of a buffoon than he is. Have you noticed that JC has been saying more and more during pressers throughout the year? I think it is interesting and probably a reflection of the new PR staff that was put in place this year. Nonetheless, Polian should take a back seat and let JC be the one voice...I think the fans would respect JC more if that were the case.

That is the essence of Polian. He has this insatiable need to control everyone and everything. He knows the national media doesn't have the same perspective of Colts issues as the Indy media and will use them to get across his one sided views.

This is the core of the issue. I think a big problem is that Bill is living in the past regarding media interaction. In 2011, things get out one way or another, and he needs to become more flexible or the Colts will continue to create friction in their local market. It also makes small issues huge, such as Peyton throwing. Why wouldn't they just make an announcement and end the speculation before it begins?

I think both sides are to blame for it, Polian might have started it but you know what Kravitz and Wilison keep it alive too. That's why I laid out JMV because like I said Polian is very good to JMV and I think that's because JMV is fair to him. I think Kravitz and Wilson mistae a personal dislike against them by Polian for a dislike against the local media. I can see the Polian and Knight comparison.
JMV has stated on multiple occasions that Polian wants nothing to do with him, so I don't know where you're getting that. I've also heard him say on multiple occasions that they've asked him to come on his show and he never even gets a response. When he broke the story on Manning missing the season, he called the colts to tell them about it, and it took them 5 days to return his call. As to our media taking shots at him? Please. Polian lives a charmed life here in Indy. If the Colts were in Philly or another east coast market how many sports writers would have been crucifying the team for all those one and dones? heck, they Jets are getting raked over hot coals and they went the the AFCCG twice in Rex's first two years. The bottom line is that he doesn't talk to guys like Kravitz or Wilson because they're beneath him. That's why he gives all his info to national guys like Glazer or Clayton. It's ego. Pure and simple. It's the same attitude he takes with the fans when he talks down to us on his radio show or when someone dares question him. Yes, that is an issue. This team, as an organization talks about doing things the right way. Which means that when you interact with other people you treat them with the same kind of dignity and respect you want them to treat you with. That means you don't go around choking employees of other teams, or berating a reporter for asking a legitimate question. If we can't hold our president to the most basic standard of decency, we're just a big bunch of hypocrites, and there is nothing worse than a hypocrite. He doesn't have to be a choir boy. But it's not to much to ask to pretend to be a decent human being when you publiclly address people. Everytime he doesn't that reflects badly on the organization, and that is a legitimate issue.

...This team, as an organization talks about doing things the right way. Which means that when you interact with other people you treat them with the same kind of dignity and respect you want them to treat you with. That means you don't go around choking employees of other teams, or berating a reporter for asking a legitimate question. If we can't hold our president to the most basic standard of decency, we're just a big bunch of hypocrites, and there is nothing worse than a hypocrite. He doesn't have to be a choir boy. But it's not to much to ask to pretend to be a decent human being when you publiclly address people. Everytime he doesn't that reflects badly on the organization, and that is a legitimate issue.

For the WIN!

The best thing irsay can do is fire caldwell because right now, if they are to lose a heap of games next season with manning then they know fans are gonna be in an uproar.

As a STH, if I get my papers in the mail asking for my $7,500, while Caldwell is still employed, and the off-chance Manning isn't here, I can 100% assure you that a check will not be included in the package I send back.

I can not imagine what will happen if we have Manning AND lose a bunch of games. As well as having Caldwell..You just blew my mind Smitto, I don't even think I could comprehend that being an option.....

JMV has stated on multiple occasions that Polian wants nothing to do with him, so I don't know where you're getting that. I've also heard him say on multiple occasions that they've asked him to come on his show and he never even gets a response. When he broke the story on Manning missing the season, he called the colts to tell them about it, and it took them 5 days to return his call. As to our media taking shots at him? Please. Polian lives a charmed life here in Indy. If the Colts were in Philly or another east coast market how many sports writers would have been crucifying the team for all those one and dones? heck, they Jets are getting raked over hot coals and they went the the AFCCG twice in Rex's first two years. The bottom line is that he doesn't talk to guys like Kravitz or Wilson because they're beneath him. That's why he gives all his info to national guys like Glazer or Clayton. It's ego. Pure and simple. It's the same attitude he takes with the fans when he talks down to us on his radio show or when someone dares question him. Yes, that is an issue. This team, as an organization talks about doing things the right way. Which means that when you interact with other people you treat them with the same kind of dignity and respect you want them to treat you with. That means you don't go around choking employees of other teams, or berating a reporter for asking a legitimate question. If we can't hold our president to the most basic standard of decency, we're just a big bunch of hypocrites, and there is nothing worse than a hypocrite. He doesn't have to be a choir boy. But it's not to much to ask to pretend to be a decent human being when you publiclly address people. Everytime he doesn't that reflects badly on the organization, and that is a legitimate issue.

LIsten to how Polian enteracts with JMV it's very different than how he enteracts with anyone in the local media. Then listen to how JMV talks about the Colts when they don't do well. He's fair with it. He doesn't go over the top with it like Kravitz and Wilison who both love to do nothing more than pass out back handed compliements to him and go after him whenever they can, even when they are winning.

As for the story about Manning there were several people on that station who hinted that JMV's source was Polian and said several times it had to be someone in the Colts complex and at one point there was tension between Manning and Polian that was supossed to be over that Manning didn't like the fact the news about Manning's injury got out as only Manning, the Polians, Irsay, and Caldwell knew about it and that's where the Polian is JMV source came from.

Again I am not saying Polian is a perfect angel in this, I admit going in that Polian is a jerk. I am just saying Kravitz and Wilison aren't the poor little victums they try to pretend they are either. BOTH parties have some blame to share here. Funny you should talk about the New York media or other places, you know why Kravitz and Wilison are here? They wouldn't last in those markets either because there if the local team guy says no I don't want to talk to you they don't take no for an answer and sure as heck don't go to other media people and cry about how the team preisdent wont talk to them and they can't do their job. They find other ways to get the news because that's their job which normally forces the team to talk to them so they can get news out the way they want to spin it.

You ever think about why Polian might like talking to the national guys? They don't take the cheap little shots at the Colts like Kravitz and Wilison do. Again if you were Polian are going to want to talk to guys who love nothing more than to go after you even when you have spent 10 years rewritting the NFL recordbook for winning? I don't know how many times I've read Kravitz after a Colts win and there is a cheap shot at Polian in it. I am not saying it makes Polian right, I am just saying I can understand it.

LIke I said I put some blame on both sides here and I don't just think it's as simple as Polian as a jerk in this case. I think that's part of it but I am not ready to say that Kravitz and Wilison are just the poor little guys who get picked on by the big bad monster that is Bill Polian.

You ever think about why Polian might like talking to the national guys? They don't take the cheap little shots at the Colts like Kravitz and Wilison do. Again if you were Polian are going to want to talk to guys who love nothing more than to go after you even when you have spent 10 years rewritting the NFL recordbook for winning? I don't know how many times I've read Kravitz after a Colts win and there is a cheap shot at Polian in it. I am not saying it makes Polian right, I am just saying I can understand it.

You've mentioned 'cheap shots' about 6 times. Would you care to elaborate on this? I'd love an example of a 'cheap shot'.

As for why Bill goes to national guys. Its easy to know why he goes to them. Because they can't verify what is being said, bc they arent here. Where as Phil B, Chappel etc would probably do the whole "Wait a sec, I just saw..." card after Polian feeds him a line of bull.....Not only that, but the only 'national' guy that is worth his weight in anything is Glazer, those ESPN guys are complete jokes.

You've mentioned 'cheap shots' about 6 times. Would you care to elaborate on this? I'd love an example of a 'cheap shot'.

As for why Bill goes to national guys. Its easy to know why he goes to them. Because they can't verify what is being said, bc they arent here. Where as Phil B, Chappel etc would probably do the whole "Wait a sec, I just saw..." card after Polian feeds him a line of bull.....Not only that, but the only 'national' guy that is worth his weight in anything is Glazer, those ESPN guys are complete jokes.

Go back and read Kravitz over the years, I don't know how many times I've seen a thread on this forum about Kravitz after the Colts with the fans ripping it because Kravitz wouldn't give the Colts their due and attacked them namely Polian.

If you want to look up a specific example of that then go for it, but I also remember Kravitz admiting to it in one of his reports cards this year when he said "I miss the days of ripping Polian in an undefeated season." How many GMs do you know get taken to task when they are in the middle of an undefeated season without there being something personal to it?

Like most things in football I think there are more than one reason Polian goes to National guys. I am sure he likes having his name on the National news vs. the local guys but at the sametime I think the fact that Kravitz and Wilison take their shots whenever they can doesn't help their cause. Like I said I was listening to an interview on Only a Game this weekend with Kravitz and it was pretty much a Polian bash session and not just about the record or what happens on the field, Kravitz was going after him personally. That was a little far for my taste and when I heard that it made me think you know I wouldn't be so quick to want to help Kravitz do his job either if I was Polian.

Look despite what the media and fans think Bill Polian doesn't owe them anything more than what the league requires them to do when talking to them. Anything beyond that the Colts are doing really to help those guys do their jobs. Now the trade off to that is clearly the Star doesn't have to cover the Colts as much as they choose too if the Colts don't want to talk to them so it cuts both ways. If you want their help no you don't be a jerk to that person anytime you can. With that said no I don't was Kravitz and Wilison to only write nice things about the Colts but I also don't want them to only get their information from the Colts either because it would be spin on spin and frankly if you listen to Kravitz and Wilison talk I think if Polian held a daily presser that's exactly what we would get because both of them are crying that Polian wont talk to them and they can't do their job. Well then find another source and force him into talking to you and stop crying about it.

Go back and read Kravitz over the years, I don't know how many times I've seen a thread on this forum about Kravitz after the Colts with the fans ripping it because Kravitz wouldn't give the Colts their due and attacked them namely Polian.

If you want to look up a specific example of that then go for it, but I also remember Kravitz admiting to it in one of his reports cards this year when he said "I miss the days of ripping Polian in an undefeated season." How many GMs do you know get taken to task when they are in the middle of an undefeated season without there being something personal to it?

Like most things in football I think there are more than one reason Polian goes to National guys. I am sure he likes having his name on the National news vs. the local guys but at the sametime I think the fact that Kravitz and Wilison take their shots whenever they can doesn't help their cause. Like I said I was listening to an interview on Only a Game this weekend with Kravitz and it was pretty much a Polian bash session and not just about the record or what happens on the field, Kravitz was going after him personally. That was a little far for my taste and when I heard that it made me think you know I wouldn't be so quick to want to help Kravitz do his job either if I was Polian.

Look despite what the media and fans think Bill Polian doesn't owe them anything more than what the league requires them to do when talking to them. Anything beyond that the Colts are doing really to help those guys do their jobs. Now the trade off to that is clearly the Star doesn't have to cover the Colts as much as they choose too if the Colts don't want to talk to them so it cuts both ways. If you want their help no you don't be a jerk to that person anytime you can. With that said no I don't was Kravitz and Wilison to only write nice things about the Colts but I also don't want them to only get their information from the Colts either because it would be spin on spin and frankly if you listen to Kravitz and Wilison talk I think if Polian held a daily presser that's exactly what we would get because both of them are crying that Polian wont talk to them and they can't do their job. Well then find another source and force him into talking to you and stop crying about it.

So any sort of critical article, undefeated or not, is 'taking a shot'? I'll take your word on Kravitz 'going after him personally' but outside of saying 'Your wife is ugly' im not sure how he can get 'personal' with it. If its in context of football then Kravitz can say whatever he wants, he's a columnist. Saying Bill messed up the 2008 draft isn't taking a shot. Bill has to take that like a man, and move on.

So any sort of critical article, undefeated or not, is 'taking a shot'? I'll take your word on Kravitz 'going after him personally' but outside of saying 'Your wife is ugly' im not sure how he can get 'personal' with it. If its in context of football then Kravitz can say whatever he wants, he's a columnist. Saying Bill messed up the 2008 draft isn't taking a shot. Bill has to take that like a man, and move on.

If saying Bill had a terrible 2008 draft isn't "taking a shot," then what is? I agree Bill should take it like a man and still talk more to Kravitz/Wilson, but any critique of Bill is taking a shot in my mind. I also felt Kravitz took more shots at Manning than Polian, Dungy, Caldwell, etc during our myriad playoff losses. I do think the frustration has built and been at a boiling point between the IndyStar and Polian since '09, and Kravitz, et. al have been more open about their disdain for the way Polian treats them.

Not what I said at all...

In fact I have said at least twice now that I don't want Kravitz and Wilison to only kiss Polian's backside. I have said I want them to be fair and there have been times I don't think they have been. I think they go over the top with attacking Polian. There have been times as well that they have ripped him and they have done so fairly and correctly. I don't have issues with those. What I have issues is when they go over the top with it which is a shot IMO.

Bill isn't the only one who should take it like a man either. Kravitz and Wilison should also take it like a man when they get told no Polian wont talk to them and stop going to their media friends and crying about how Polian wont talk to them. You know what you do then? You find other sources and report what they tell you and sooner or later the Colts will start talking to you because they are going to want to control the spin. That's what big media market writters do and that's why big market teams talk to the local guys, they know if they want any kinda say in whats getting out there they have to or the writter is just going to find someone else to talk to. The problem is that means doing more work than getting on the local radio shows and crying about how Polian wont talk to you.

That's pretty much exactly what JMV did. He doesn't spend segments of his show complaing about how Polian wont talk to him (even though Polian talks to him more than anyone else in the market). He understands if he wants more news than what Polian will tell him he finds other people to tell him and did the right thing when he got it said hey I have this information do you want to talk to me about it? He doesn't spend segments of his show complaining about how Polian wont talk to him when he wants too.

That was another big part I got really turned off by Wilison yesterday he was doing this interview with JMV ironicly enough and said he got worked up because the Colts said "Polian was avaliable to you on Sunday." Which he was Wilison said he was mad because it was after a game and he didn't elect to go talk to Polian at that time because Kravitz was there. IE he was pretty much mad that Polian wouldn't drop what he was doing and come talk to the media when Wilison wanted him too. If you are going to stand up and cry that the guy wont talk to you you better darn sure make sure you get there when he says he'll talk to you and not say well someone else went. That's an excuse that doesn't fly when you say later in the same interview you are willing to talk to Polian anytime he wants. Well Polian was willing to talk Sunday and Wilison choose not to go and sent Kravitz. Like I said before yes Polian is a huge jerk but you know what Wilison and Kravitz aren't just victums in this either.

I am not saying Polian is right I am more than willing to admit he is a jerk and likes to take it out on the local media. I am saying after watching it for 13 years sometimes I can understand why Polian is a jerk to them.

That was another big part I got really turned off by Wilison yesterday he was doing this interview with JMV ironicly enough and said he got worked up because the Colts said "Polian was avaliable to you on Sunday." Which he was Wilison said he was mad because it was after a game and he didn't elect to go talk to Polian at that time because Kravitz was there. IE he was pretty much mad that Polian wouldn't drop what he was doing and come talk to the media when Wilison wanted him too. If you are going to stand up and cry that the guy wont talk to you you better darn sure make sure you get there when he says he'll talk to you and not say well someone else went. That's an excuse that doesn't fly when you say later in the same interview you are willing to talk to Polian anytime he wants. Well Polian was willing to talk Sunday and Wilison choose not to go and sent Kravitz. Like I said before yes Polian is a huge jerk but you know what Wilison and Kravitz aren't just victums in this either.

A point of clarification, Polian did not answer questions on Sunday. So while he made an appearance to the press, he technically wasn't available to them because as soon as he finished talking he got up from the podium and left before anyone could even ask questions. Thus, the Colts can spin he was available on Sunday based on the fact he addressed the press, but the reality is he wasn't available to answer questions which is what the media has been asking him to do.

Excellent post Jaric. The fact that Polian has not done a good job for the past 4 years or so makes the problem even worse. It's one thing to be a you know what and good at your job, quite another to be a you know what and put a 1-13 product on the field.

Exactly! National guys don't cover the Colts on a daily basis like the local guys. Local guys can see through the Polian ^cowpatties^. When Polian needs something out in the media, he goes to his national mouthpiece most of the time, Chris Mortensen.

And i agree with Jaric, i have listened to JMV all year and he has said repeatedly that Polian will not come on his show. So i would say he i getting the same treatment that all the others are. My guess is that Bill is mad that JMV correctly reported the need for a Manning surgery before the season. It has been hinted that it was a Polian or someone else in the front office who tipped JMV off, that doesn't mean it was Bill though. In fact, as much as Bill trys to control everything that comes out of that place, i doubt it was him. What are there, 3 Polians over there now? Maybe it was one of his boys. They should try harder to get on the same page.

I wrote a post about this before the season began. I believe the local media resents not getting the inside information like the national guys do, and they ride that and push their anti-Polian agenda whenever they can. The bloggers (like BBS) ride it as well.

Polian isn't media friendly, but he's media accessible. I don't think a front office should have to give the media every tidbit of information they want. I'd love it if they did, but that's just not the way things work. That's the reason teams and companies and government officials all have PR guys who spin things and keep the media in their pocket. Polian doesn't do that because he's arrogant and abrasive, so he just goes over the local guys' heads and give the big scoops to ESPN and New York affiliates, which drives the local guys bonkers even more.

I believe Kravitz's hit piece on Chris Polian was personal. Kravitz is supposed to be a reporter, but he took an angle (a number of long-time Colts coaches and officials have left since Chris started being more involved) and turned it into "anonymous sources say these veteran guys don't like Chris and he's driving them out, and that's the reason we're not having a good year." That's blog-type stuff that just doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

BBS wrote an article on Sunday, during the brightest spot of this extremely dark season, calling Bill Polian out for setting the record straight on whether Manning would play this year or not. From what I can tell, NFL Network was promoting the idea that Manning might come back for the Texans game (which is coincidentally on NFL Network), so Bill held a presser stating unequivocally that Manning would NOT be playing this season, not this week or next. And BBS calls him an arrogant jerk, both of which may be true, but neither of which is applicable to the topic. And what's so ironic about this is you have a guy that the local media complains about not giving them enough information, and here he is giving them solid, concrete information about the franchise quarterback. Polian's information even corrected an earlier report from an SI reporter that Manning was going to be placed on IR, which wasn't accurate; the report should have said that Manning wouldn't play this year, not that he was being IR'd.

So sometimes it's just painfully obvious that Polian can't win with the local media. And situations like this weekend's erroneous reporting and the earlier hit piece on Chris Polian make it obvious to me why he doesn't deal with local media. It may be a situation that he helped develop, and he certainly hasn't helped it get any better, but he's not the only one dancing this dance.

I see this as a media issue and not a problem for the Colts. To be specific, a Wilson/Kravitz issue.

I think its hilarious to throw a fit like that and demand a closer relationship with PR at the same time. Good luck with that.

Sugar draws more flys than vinegar.

If the players act inappropriately, they get fined or banned etc. If Polian does the same, they hail him the GM of the Decade. You set the standards from the top down. The double standards of the FO make me puke. The past glories of Bill (i.e. taking Manning over Leaf) are long gone. Be done with the clown before more damage is done.

LIsten to how Polian enteracts with JMV it's very different than how he enteracts with anyone in the local media. Then listen to how JMV talks about the Colts when they don't do well. He's fair with it. He doesn't go over the top with it like Kravitz and Wilison who both love to do nothing more than pass out back handed compliements to him and go after him whenever they can, even when they are winning.

So again, according to JMV, Bill Polian won't talk to him. I've never heard Polian on JMVs show and according to JMV, he's never been on his show.

As for the story about Manning there were several people on that station who hinted that JMV's source was Polian and said several times it had to be someone in the Colts complex and at one point there was tension between Manning and Polian that was supossed to be over that Manning didn't like the fact the news about Manning's injury got out as only Manning, the Polians, Irsay, and Caldwell knew about it and that's where the Polian is JMV source came from.

Again, JMV stated he called the Colts to verify the story. Why would he do that if it came from Polian. And if it did come from Polian, why did it take a week for them to return his call?

Again I am not saying Polian is a perfect angel in this, I admit going in that Polian is a jerk. I am just saying Kravitz and Wilison aren't the poor little victums they try to pretend they are either. BOTH parties have some blame to share here. Funny you should talk about the New York media or other places, you know why Kravitz and Wilison are here? They wouldn't last in those markets either because there if the local team guy says no I don't want to talk to you they don't take no for an answer and sure as heck don't go to other media people and cry about how the team preisdent wont talk to them and they can't do their job. They find other ways to get the news because that's their job which normally forces the team to talk to them so they can get news out the way they want to spin it.

Again, the coverage from local media towards the Colts has been the very definition of kid gloves. If we went one and done as many times as we have here in New York, Polian would have been run out of town on a rail.

So he only is willing to listen to yes men who stroke his ego? I mean, that certainly fits the profile but that's not a defense of anything. Again, our local media treat the Colts with the softest of kid gloves. Even Kravitz can't hold a candle next to Boston or New York media. It's laughable to insinuate that the local media has somehow been unfair to the Colts organization.

LIke I said I put some blame on both sides here and I don't just think it's as simple as Polian as a jerk in this case. I think that's part of it but I am not ready to say that Kravitz and Wilison are just the poor little guys who get picked on by the big bad monster that is Bill Polian.

You know, I really think it is that simple that Bill is just being a jerk here. I really do. More and more, this fits the profile of a guy who has a massive ego that needs it stroked constantly or he gets enraged. That's why he freaked out when they benched our starters and the fan base revolted. That's why he was choking that Jets employee a few years ago. That's why he treats the local media as being beneath him and only talks to national guys.

And news flash, if it's your job to cover a team eventually you're going to have to write something negative about them. That's part of the job. If the Colts organization is going to throw a hissy fit and stop talking to people because they hurt their feelings, then we need to do so some serious growing up over at 56th street, put on our big boy pants and act like adults.

If the players act inappropriately, they get fined or banned etc. If Polian does the same, they hail him the GM of the Decade. You set the standards from the top down. The double standards of the FO make me puke. The past glories of Bill (i.e. taking Manning over Leaf) are long gone. Be done with the clown before more damage is done.

What inapproprate conduct by Bill Polian are you referring to? It's one thing to dislike him and think he's arrogant, rude, condescending, or whatever. It's another to say that he's actually done something wrong. I'm asking an honest question...

If saying Bill had a terrible 2008 draft isn't "taking a shot," then what is?

An opinion largely backed up by facts? I guess I'm not sure what is expected of them. Are we supposed to pretend that negative things have happened? If you're a journalist you're supposed to report that kind of stuff. It's part of the job.

And if 56th street doesn't want to hear it, then don't have crappy drafts.

So should the media just play polly anna, and get fired for not reporting the facts and just kissing BP BUTT?You admit BP is a jerk, so if you owned this business is he your spokeman?

Exactly! I think it's foolish to let BP be the team's spokesperson! Let him run the team and do his job, just get him out of the media relations components dealing with the media and the fans. Because he tickes them and us off on a regular basis and that's not doing his team any favors.