Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How bad will the Eagles be?

COLTS449

Giving Ryan Mathews and D Murraly guaranteed dough is straight up insane.   And Bringing in Bradford?    

Chip K is really pushing the envelope here.        Talent wins in the NFL, not systems.       Not even close.     Barry Switzer could come back and get hired somewhere and run the triple option and would win IF he had the horses.  

I don't get it.   I really don't.    they let Macklin, DJ, Shady, Henny, and several others go ...   to bring in ...   who again?  A MASH unit?   this will be incredibly entertaining to watch from a far.   

I actually think this Murray signing was a straight up panic mode move by the "Front Office"...  AKA Chip Kelly ..    to try and calm everyone down.  

And player comments who are leaving this team are not flattering.        Oh well...    I guess it could be worse in Indy?   Naaa..   we still got Luck.  

You nailed it with this post. Well done.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a scale from 1-10, rate Bradford. Then rate Foles.

Forget about Bradford's injury and salary, just who is the better / more talented player.

Bradford is the much better player, and he has a higher ceiling.  The injury bug is my only single issue with him.  A healthy Bradford is far and away a better QB than Foles.  Now the Eagles have a much better Offensive line then the Rams, and Bradford and the running game will prosper.  Murray will only need to get 225 touches in 2015, Matthews 150, and Sproles (mainly 3rd down weapon) 125 touches.  The Eagles will run it 500 times, with approximately that distribution, and the Eagles have a top rated (especially running) O line.

As far as Bradford, Kelly has talked about accuracy.  Wanting and needing it. Bradford is accurate.  The last time we really saw any play by Bradford was in 2013.  His accuracy percentage (completion percentage adjusted for receiver drops and other factors) was 74.7% which was 7th best among 41 qualifying QB's.  Foles played well in 2013, but regressed in 2014.  Before his injury, Foles accuracy percentage was 68.6% which was among the bottom 10 of qualifying QB's. And now he goes to a team that was 5th worst in pass blocking effeiciency, and then released Jake Long!  Good luck Nick.  You're going to need it.

What's up with Chip and crew? I mean its like they don't want to compete. Letting Jackson go last year. Now Maclin, Shady, and Foles are gone too. I mean they could have be a legitimate threat next year. Now they're going to be awful. I just don't get their line of thinking. I'd say they'll have a new GM and coach in a year or two.

They've gone into complete rebuilding stage.  

The Sam Bradford deal is baffling.  

They've gone into complete rebuilding stage.  

The Sam Bradford deal is baffling.

To many folks... not a few of us.  If, a big if, Bradford can stay upright for 16 games, he'll prove Kelly right.  IMO.

Let's see the Eagles lineup in late May... then re-assess.

What's your point?    Of course fans don't know it all.    But a message board is where we come to voice our opinions, right or wrong.     Are there some who are more informed than others?    Sure.     But that's the nature of being a fan and posting on an internet message board.     It all comes with the territory.

You've been here two months.    Is this really the message you want to send?

Love fans who think they know it all. Sorry but I think Chip Kelly knows just a little bit more about football than a few people on a message board.

Have you read the national media or the Philly media? They pretty much agree with the "few people" on this message board.

Sure but the whole point of these boards is to discuss opinions now in real time.

It's possible to do that without making yourself look foolish. Many like to think since they landed a guy in Madden and they won the superbowl that it's also possible in the NFL.

It's possible to do that without making yourself look foolish. Many like to think since they landed a guy in Madden and they won the superbowl that it's also possible in the NFL.

To each their own. It does not bother me what others think. Superman and I disagree and I enjoy his counter points even though I disagree with them. I think the biggest thing for the Eagles is Bradford's health and ability to play well in Chip's system. If those two things happen then I think the Eagles will be fine. Dallas will still win that division and the Giants will also be knocking as well.

To many folks... not a few of us.  If, a big if, Bradford can stay upright for 16 games, he'll prove Kelly right.  IMO.

Let's see if Bradford makes it out of camp. To me, that's the key. Everything else is easy to understand.

Let's see if Bradford makes it out of camp. To me, that's the key. Everything else is easy to understand.

I think there is still a chance they trade Bradford to move up and get Mariota. I don't care how much Kelly denies it.  He wants Mariota. He called him the best QB in the draft.

I think there is still a chance they trade Bradford to move up and get Mariota. I don't care how much Kelly denies it.  He wants Mariota. He called him the best QB in the draft.

And then said he doesn't intend to move up. 

I don't know what they're going to do in the draft, but it's not hard to believe that they like Bradford better than Foles, and that's really what their offseason hinges on. 

And then said he doesn't intend to move up. 

I don't know what they're going to do in the draft, but it's not hard to believe that they like Bradford better than Foles, and that's really what their offseason hinges on. 

I know what he said but not sure I believe him. He really praised Mariota in that presser to the point that Mariota thanked him after. lol.

I agree that they like Bradford better than Foles but not sure if that means he is their starter though. Right now it is hard to pin Kelly down on anything he does. His strategy seems a bit all over the place ...

I know what he said but not sure I believe him. He really praised Mariota in that presser to the point that Mariota thanked him after. lol.

I agree that they like Bradford better than Foles but not sure if that means he is their starter though. Right now it is hard to pin Kelly down on anything he does. His strategy seems a bit all over the place ...

Kind of seems like you already have your mind made up about what they want. I have no way of knowing whether Kelly is serious about staying put in the draft, but I'm willing to take him at his word.

Kind of seems like you already have your mind made up about what they want. I have no way of knowing whether Kelly is serious about staying put in the draft, but I'm willing to take him at his word.

Honestly, I have no idea but I think Kelly has proven to be unpredictable if nothing else. I have really enjoyed his off-season because of him and am looking forward to the draft. Even if all his moves prove to be unsuccessful, I like his bravado and attitude to do what he believes will be winning football even though it goes against conventional thought. Part of me wants to see him succeed even though I really don't like the Eagles at all but better than the Giants. lol.

I agree. Unless Mariota drop precipitously and falls in Chip Kelly's lap, Bradford is 'The Guy'.  Kelly will not mortgage his future choices in personnel packaging them up to get RGIII.... ummmmm... I mean Marcus Mariota.  Chip may want him, but not at any cost....

Giving Ryan Mathews and D Murraly guaranteed dough is straight up insane. And Bringing in Bradford?

Chip K is really pushing the envelope here. Talent wins in the NFL, not systems. Not even close. Barry Switzer could come back and get hired somewhere and run the triple option and would win IF he had the horses.

I don't get it. I really don't. they let Macklin, DJ, Shady, Henny, and several others go ... to bring in ... who again? A MASH unit? this will be incredibly entertaining to watch from a far.

I actually think this Murray signing was a straight up panic mode move by the "Front Office"... AKA Chip Kelly .. to try and calm everyone down.

And player comments who are leaving this team are not flattering. Oh well... I guess it could be worse in Indy? Naaa.. we still got Luck.

I promise you that Chip didn't make any moves to 'save face' with the fans or media. He doesn't care what we think, he wants to win games.

And this talk of him getting fired is ridiculous. He took over a 4-12 team and has double digit wins each year.

I've followed him closely since 2007 and have never seen him lie. You can take him saying he won't "mortgage the future for one guy" to the bank. If Marcus somehow fell out of the top ten, he's an Eagle, but he's not moving into the top five to get him.

You consider WR a non-critical position?

Not to be disrespectful in any way, but this seem ironic from a Patriots fan.  Name me any highly paid, top shelf receiver on any of the Pats Super Bowl winnig teams?  In fact name such a receiver from any Super Bowl winning team since Marvin Harrison in 2006/2007?

Not to say there won't be any if we looked but I bet the list is goung to be pretty small.Teams like the Pats, Giants, Ravens, etc have won the Super Bowl without their best player(s )being their wideout.

I agree. Unless Mariota drop precipitously and falls in Chip Kally's lap, Bradford is 'The Guy'.  Kelly will not mortgage his future choices in personnel packaging them up to get RGIII.... ummmmm... I mean Marcus Mariota.  Chip may want him, but not at any cost....

I'm not buying it but how about this one if true ? 

5161.jpg

ESPN's Josina Anderson passes along buzz from the Pro Day circuit that "some coaches" around the league are "not convinced" the Eagles will keep Sam Bradford.

There's belief in league circles that Bradford will be used as trade bait to get to the Titans at No. 2 overall, where Chip Kelly could select Marcus Mariota. Kelly's affinity for Mariota is well known. Kelly has shown he isn't scared to make bold, complicated football decisions. It's anyone's guess as to what he'll do. We also wouldn't rule out a trade up to No. 1 overall. Bradford's pocket-passer style would fit well in new Bucs OC Dirk Koetter's offense.
Mar 15 - 12:12 PM

Not to be disrespectful in any way, but this seem ironic from a Patriots fan.  Name me any highly paid, top shelf receiver on any of the Pats Super Bowl winnig teams?  In fact name such a receiver from any Super Bowl winning team since Marvin Harrison in 2006/2007?

Not to say there won't be any if we looked but I bet the list is goung to be pretty small.Teams like the Pats, Giants, Ravens, etc have won the Super Bowl without their best player(s )being their wideout.

I disagree. I think in this era of passing, WR is a very critical position. The Pats WRs while may be not the fastest or athletic guys, were always heady guys that could pick up the Pats complex offensive system and do their role well. They have had maybe the best three slot receivers to play in Brown, Welker and now Edelman and then of course there is Gronk who has been critical to the their success the last 5 seasons. I realize he is a TE but he is also making the most money on their roster outside of Brady.

I'm not buying it but how about this one if true ? 

5161.jpg

ESPN's Josina Anderson passes along buzz from the Pro Day circuit that "some coaches" around the league are "not convinced" the Eagles will keep Sam Bradford.

There's belief in league circles that Bradford will be used as trade bait to get to the Titans at No. 2 overall, where Chip Kelly could select Marcus Mariota. Kelly's affinity for Mariota is well known. Kelly has shown he isn't scared to make bold, complicated football decisions. It's anyone's guess as to what he'll do. We also wouldn't rule out a trade up to No. 1 overall. Bradford's pocket-passer style would fit well in new Bucs OC Dirk Koetter's offense.
Mar 15 - 12:12 PM

Yeah, I have always believed Bradford was a trade chip. I guess we will find out soon enough ... lol.

Yeah, I have always believed Bradford was a trade chip. I guess we will find out soon enough ... lol.

Ahhh .. I just don't think they would take on his 13 mill salary and then hope some team coveted  him if they didn't really want him. Seems a little far fetched to me.

I disagree. I think in this era of passing, WR is a very critical position. The Pats WRs while may be not the fastest or athletic guys, were always heady guys that could pick up the Pats complex offensive system and do their role well. They have had maybe the best three slot receivers to play in Brown, Welker and now Edelman and then of course there is Gronk who has been critical to the their success the last 5 seasons. I realize he is a TE but he is also making the most money on their roster outside of Brady.

It is an important position, not critical to have elite level players.  There are plenty of receivers that offer up very good production without breaking the bank.  Your Pats scenario is this in a nutshell.  BB never breaks the bank on them if they ask for elite pay, though. How about this, How many Super Bowls has Calvin Johnson been to?  Dez Bryant?  Julio Jones? A.J. Green? Brandon Marshall?  Andre Johnson?  Roddy White, Vincent Jackson?

Sure there are a few who actually made it (but not won) to the big dance like Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Smith, and Demaryius Thomas.  Even Randy Moss on the infamous 18-1 Pats team.  I just want to know when was the last elite type receiver making elite type money on a Super Bowl winner?

Unless there are a boatload of them that I'm not aware of, then I say WR is important, but not very critical, as you state.

It is an important position, not critical to have elite level players.  There are plenty of receivers that offer up very good production without breaking the bank.  Your Pats scenario is this in a nutshell.  BB never breaks the bank on them if they ask for elite pay, though. How about this, How many Super Bowls has Calvin Johnson been to?  Dez Bryant?  Julio Jones? A.J. Green? Brandon Marshall?  Andre Johnson?  Roddy White, Vincent Jackson?

Sure there are a few who actually made it (but not won) to the big dance like Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Smith, and Demaryius Thomas.  Even Randy Moss on the infamous 18-1 Pats team.  I just want to know when was the last elite type receiver making elite type money on a Super Bowl winner?

Unless there are a boatload of them that I'm not aware of, then I say WR is important, but not very critical, as you state.

I think you might have mis-read the intent of my post. I never said critical meant elite. I think the position is critical and has been critical for the Pats success the last 15 years. In terms of the Eagles, I think players like Jackson and Macklin were critical to their success and losing Jackson proved to hurt them last year. That was the thrust of my post.

I think you might have mis-read the intent of my post. I never said critical meant elite. I think the position is critical and has been critical for the Pats success the last 15 years. In terms of the Eagles, I think players like Jackson and Macklin were critical to their success and losing Jackson proved to hurt them last year. That was the thrust of my post.

But these guys were commanding elite money!  Tell me Bill Belichick would pay them?  Go on... tell us what BB would do? Chip Kelly is more of a fast paced, methodically move the ball down the field guy.  A bunch of 3 and outs with a few huge , electric dazzler scoring plays is not his style.  In the 15 years since 1999, the Eagles won double digit games in 10 of those seasons and under in only 5.  2 of those 5 were in 2011 and 2012 just before Kelly arrived in 2013. They were 8-8 and 4-12 before he got there.  Again, that was With McCoy, Jackson, and Maclin. Kelly's system made it work (10-6 each year) there once more, and he knows what type players fit his system, and he's going after them.  Yes, he can take harassment along the way but in the end if fans are wrong, those fans can just shrug and say "I guess he was right, but I'm not a coach, so no big deal".  Yet it is indeed a big deal to Chip Kelly.  He knows what it means, and knows what is riding on his decisions.  He's reported as saying he's not mortgaging his future to go from #20 to a spot (4 or higher because the Redskins supposedly will draft him as RGIII replacement if he falls) to secure Mariota.

"We're not mortgaging our future for any particular player. That's just not philosophically what we think is the right thing to do, that you're going to package 20 picks to move up from 20 (in the draft) to some other spot. We have not had any discussions (about such a trade)."

On the other hand, it is reported someone offered Kelly their #1 pick for Bradford! (rumor).  So does he pull that and use both his firsts in a swap with someone like the Titans or Jags?  I don't know.  He just said he wouldn't throw away all of his picks to do it and I believe him.

Keeping McCoy, Maclin, and Jackson at elite pay level wasn't critical to Kelly, and I have a hunch he may be right. Not so sure about Bradford's health, though.  But if Sam is still playing QB for the Eaglesin January, Chip will be smiling once more, I believe.

Sure there are a few who actually made it (but not won) to the big dance like Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Smith, and Demaryius Thomas. Even Randy Moss on the infamous 18-1 Pats team. I just want to know when was the last elite type receiver making elite type money on a Super Bowl winner?

Was Anquan Boldin "elite" enough? He may not be elite now but when he was with the Cards and the Ravens he was one of the best WRs in the NFL.

How about Burress? Those are two I can think of off the top of my head.

Was Anquan Boldin "elite" enough? He may not be elite now but when he was with the Cards and the Ravens he was one of the best WRs in the NFL.

I feel Fitzgerald was better with Cards, but they lost in SB anyway. But Boldin was elite in those Cards days.  But in Baltimore he was down to 60-70 catches for 900 yards.  Hey guess what?  That's what Maclin was doing in Philly!  Buress was decent in SB year 2007 with 70 catches on 141 targets for 1000 yards.  And he had a couple years at 1.300 yards earlier. So I will take Plaxico.  Boldin is on the borderline to getting the nod as well.  Point is, Since Marvin Harrsion in 2006, there's just not many else on that list, correct?  If it was so critical, I would think the list would have been larger.  If Kelly would have won with DeSean Jackson, he would be on the list.  Maclin, eh... maybe not so much.

there are a few people that get it...most don't. People act like systems don't matter in the NFL....but they definitely do. Fact is system is very important. You can have all the talent in the world but if it doesn't fit your system it's WASTED. Talent is still very important but in the end the right talent is what matters and SYSTEM can mask deficiencies and maximize talent. Ask belicheck about it. Ask joe Gibbs winning with three different qbs, ask bill parcells who won everywhere he went. Ask anyone using bill walsh's offense with the right qb. You marry people to your system. Chip got rid of people that didn't fit....that didn't buy in...that were overpaid. He got a pro bowl caliber lb, traded a east west runner for a north south one...upgraded an avg at best qb for a 1st pick Roy qb that has shown promise and ability to deliver accurate quick decisions and took care of the ball....he simply needs to stay healthy....and if not its just a 1 year lease. Wrs are cheap and plentiful. They aren't as important in this system as other parts....I mean this isn't like impossible to understand....the Pats have been getting by with mediocre receivers most of their SBs. Heck if cooper can be a dangerous weapon in the offense than I'm sure chip can find more playmakers. What he has done on the defense is what im worried about. To me it's the exact opposite approach as they seem to go for names at corner and I'm not sure what the plan is there..but offense...no worries. Sam Bradford has tons of upside.....and a much higher ceiling than foles. Brilliant move. Great qbs allow you to run your system.....and chip is counting on that...he didn't have it with foles. Funny how people that are fans of teams with successful systems that talk all day about replacing great players like Welker, revis, law, maloy, Seymour, mcginnest, etc etc can be so short sighted of this working anywhere else.

I feel Fitzgerald was better with Cards, but they lost in SB anyway. But Boldin was elite in those Cards days. But in Baltimore he was down to 60-70 catches for 900 yards. Hey guess what? That's what Maclin was doing in Philly! Buress was decent in SB year 2007 with 70 catches on 141 targets for 1000 yards. And he had a couple years at 1.300 yards earlier. So I will take Plaxico. Boldin is on the borderline to getting the nod as well. Point is, Since Marvin Harrsion in 2006, there's just not many else on that list, correct? If it was so critical, I would think the list would have been larger. If Kelly would have won with DeSean Jackson, he would be on the list. Maclin, eh... maybe not so much.

I do get what you're saying and I mostly agree. Neither of the last two Super Bowl champs had elite WRs. I was naming a few WRs that may not have come to mind. But I think Boldin was elite.

Some have speculated that Kelly will try to move up to draft Mariota. Do you think so? I read an article today that he may try to trade Bradford to the Titans for the #2 pick.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/15/talk-persists-that-eagles-wont-keep-sam-bradford/

I do get what you're saying and I mostly agree. Neither of the last two Super Bowl champs had elite WRs. I was naming a few WRs that may not have come to mind. But I think Boldin was elite.

Some have speculated that Kelly will try to move up to draft Mariota. Do you think so? I read an article today that he may try to trade Bradford to the Titans for the #2 pick.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/15/talk-persists-that-eagles-wont-keep-sam-bradford/

If that were an option, why wouldn't the rams have just traded the titans Bradford for the pick?

If that were an option, why wouldn't the rams have just traded the titans Bradford for the pick?

I don't see it, but the Rams traded with Philly because they were the only team with a known quantity QB they were interested in.

There is little doubt in my mind that Chip Kelly's contract is 100% guaranteed, with no offset language. He turned the Eagles down at first, and they came back three weeks later on their knees. He's probably one of the five highest paid coaches in the NFL, definitely top ten. And he was given virtual autonomy over the roster. His superiors aren't panicking like everyone else is. They're letting him do the job he's being paid to do.

Oh they are not panicking yet I don't think but a 10 and 6 season followed by a mass loss of good players followed by a losing season with a QB who has not shown to be able to stay healthy just might be enough to have his superiors skeptical and that just might be enough unless that contract is guaranteed, Owners and higher ups want to win now

Boldin wasn't close to elite....but had a great playoff run. Hell, before that Flacco supporters were claiming he didn't have anyone to throw to.

He paid Moss big money and he is paying Gronk big money.

On another note , I wonder why Bush visited NE and left without being offered a contract. Must have been a huge difference of opinion of his value ? Seems strange that a team and player don't at least explore each other's expectations before scheduling a visit. 

I do think Kelly would make a trade to get Mariota.  But Titans won't do the deal, and Kelly won't give up too much more than Bradford in a swap.

Titans swapping #2 overall for 2010 #1 overall coming off two ACL teas doesn't make sense.  It will require more.  How much more is the tipping point.  If Tenn asks for too much, Kelly will pass.  Since the Redskins have been knocked about as in play for Marcus, why wouldn't Tennessee try to trade with them too?  (I know, still burning from the RGIII trade methinks). 

If Tenn doesn't ask for the moon and the stars, Kelly might listen.