Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predict the colts first(next) free agent signing

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying he's not good, but he's coming from Detroit who plays a 4-3 and he's injured often. It's risky business.

the 4-3 to 3-4 thing is nothing with him and Suh he has injuries but he's still worth it he's what we got left if we wanna make a big signing on the D line

I'm agreeing with the OP and the next post right after that.  Searcy/Langford...hopefully announced tomorrow simultaneously. 

Those positions are the two largest vacancies on the team right now and both signings would fill those spots very well and allow the draft to go BPA.

I don't know who it will be, but I would put big $$$ on it being a 30+ year-old over-the-hill-er.

Grigs will go back to his old pattern...dumpster-diving in FA and signing mediocre underachievers for $4M to $6M per year who will barely over-perform or under-perform the UDFAs we sign.

Grigson throws Irsay's millions down the toilet in smaller chunks for poor players but he still manages to blow a lot of millions.

...a failed strategy year after year.

Better we just sign our own FAs and draft some talent.

I don't know who it will be, but I would put big $$$ on it being a 30+ year-old over-the-hill-er.

Grigs will go back to his old pattern...dumpster-diving in FA and signing mediocre underachievers for $4M to $6M per year who will barely over-perform or under-perform the UDFAs we sign.

Grigson throws Irsay's millions down the toilet in smaller chunks for poor players but he still manages to blow a lot of millions.

I hope not. You're pessimistic but you make fair points, we should really sign proven players, or at least not pay unproven guys like they're proven. The problem I have with Grig's strategy is that the good thing about diamonds in the rough is you save money; you don't if you pay them like how you hope they turn out

Andre Johnson, 2 yrs, $15.5 mil.  

Fairley will re-sign with Det with Suh gone.  Pot Roast will follow Del Rio to Oaktown. 

Possibly Kendall Langford but for no more than the 6 mil he was making.

Grigson signs Langford to a $6M APY deal he should be fired on the spot. 

Everybody seems to want a big name FA. 

So far...every big name/ big dollar FA agreement in the NFL that has been announced has been completely horrible.  Way too expensive.

Suh...McCourty..Shady....McPhee...and some think paying AJ $8 mil per year is okay.  All are terrible signings.

Same tired response.

Do you re-type the same message repeatedly or do you copy and paste?

Same tired response.

Do you re-type the same message repeatedly or do you copy and paste?

He has a point though.  Most of the FA that Grigs has signed hasn't added much value.  They have been warm bodies but they are replacement level players at best.  For example Erik Walden is no better than Jonathan Newsome.  He helps us depth wise and he starts (for some reason) but he's replacement level.  Same goes for RJF and Landry and all the OL he's signed outside of Cherilus and so on and so forth.

I don't mind the depth guys.  But they need to be making depth guys money not starter money.

which is why I think the Texans are in no hurry to cut him. They are letting the WR market dry up in hopes someone will trade with them to make sure they get Johnson and never have him hit the open market.

I believe he has to be cut by the start of the new season sometime tomorrow.

I could be wrong on that,  but that's what I thought I read somewhere....    perhaps someone here can confirm or deny?

He has a point though.  Most of the FA that Grigs has signed hasn't added much value.  They have been warm bodies but they are replacement level players at best.  For example Erik Walden is no better than Jonathan Newsome.  He helps us depth wise and he starts (for some reason) but he's replacement level.  Same goes for RJF and Landry and all the OL he's signed outside of Cherilus and so on and so forth.

I don't mind the depth guys.  But they need to be making depth guys money not starter money.

He never has a point and the evidence you cite does not match the standards in the Canuck's post. 

I keep hearing all this nonsense about how much a player is getting paid and it quite literally is maddeing.  1) It is not our personal money so who cares and 2) Grigson has done a good job of managing the cap so even if he has overpaid for a FA, he done it to where exiting from the contract is relatively pain free. 

More to the point - most everyone on here wants the Colts to be active in free agency, the very definition of which means overpaying to some degree - at least in it's early stages.

the 4-3 to 3-4 thing is nothing with him and Suh he has injuries but he's still worth it he's what we got left if we wanna make a big signing on the D line

I'm not saying I don't want him or that we don't need him. I would be thrilled to have him. I just hope he can stay healthy for us if we bring him here.

Everybody seems to want a big name FA. 

So far...every big name/ big dollar FA agreement in the NFL that has been announced has been completely horrible.  Way too expensive.

Suh...McCourty..Shady....McPhee...and some think paying AJ $8 mil per year is okay.  All are terrible signings.

A voice of reason!  We all expect to overpay for FAs...it is the way it is.

But these signings are just crazy for their massive overpayment...just no connection to reality.

I can only predict what I would do.

First I would redo Lucks deal

Andrew Luck 6 years 150 million (75 million guaranteed)

CJ Spiller 4 years 12 million

Bryan Bulaga 4 years 24 million

Brian Orakpo 3 years 18 million

Mike Adams 1 year 2.5 million

Da'Norris Searcy 4 years 20 million

I would be more than OK going into the draft with this free agency.

I thought RJF was fine, just overpaid. If Langford is an RJF clone that makes a bit less I'm fine with it. Rotational role preferably.

I believe Langford pressures the QB better than did RJF.  He'd take Redding's interior pass rushing role.  I'd compare Langford to Redding more so than RJF.

And yes, he would rotate.  All Dlineman rotate, otherwise they get gassed.

I believe Langford pressures the QB better than did RJF.  He'd take Redding's interior pass rushing role.  I'd compare Langford to Redding more so than RJF.

And yes, he would rotate.  All Dlineman rotate, otherwise they get gassed.

I meant I don't want him to start when I said "rotational" poor choice of words on my part.

I meant I don't want him to start when I said "rotational" poor choice of words on my part.

I think Langford would be a good signing to play ahead of a younger athletic guy that is drafted.  Both Redding (assuming) and RJF need to be replaced. 

I can only predict what I would do.

First I would redo Lucks deal

Andrew Luck 6 years 150 million (75 million guaranteed)

CJ Spiller 4 years 12 million

Bryan Bulaga 4 years 24 million

Brian Orakpo 3 years 18 million

Mike Adams 1 year 2.5 million

Da'Norris Searcy 4 years 20 million

I would be more than OK going into the draft with this free agency.

all.of those guys will make more than that