Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

melvin gordon

not if the team doesnt run the ball a lot

2012 ... NE ran the ball 523 times, 290 times by Ridley for 1236 yds .... Seattle ran 536 times, 315 times by Lynch for 1590.

They do run the ball, and Ridley was "the guy", he just fumbled the job away.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Gurley is really GREAT also...  but how can Grigs possibly take a chance on him when he has whiffed on Werner and a few "kinda big FA's" ??     I think Grigs will simply take BPA outside of QB and TE...       He just cannot miss on this first rounder.   

And I REALLY agree with what Rick Vinturi says..  "if teams are going to double team TY, Indy HAS GOT TO MAKE THEM PAY"

Is Moncrief that guy?   Carter?        Gordon, Coleman?  I like.....         Gurley?   IF Indy were to do that and TG busts....    or neveer recovers.      It could cost Grigs his job.

This draft is SO HUGE, this team has to get at LEAST 3 contributors right off the bat.  

The obvious thing is to want to avoid a RB with an ACL in the first round and I can't say it's the wrong decision,but man he is a talented back! And it's KILLING me because he fit's our scheme to perfection.  I don't think he will be anything like Richardson at all.  Football is risky no matter what you do when it comes down to potential injury.  You can draft a player in perfect health and he blows his ACL out in Training Camp or rookie workouts though..  It's always a real possibility

I can dig where you are coming from though.

The obvious thing is to want to avoid a RB with an ACL in the first round and I can't say it's the wrong decision,but man he is a talented back! And it's KILLING me because he fit's our scheme to perfection.  I don't think he will be anything like Richardson at all.  Football is risky no matter what you do when it comes down to potential injury.  You can draft a player in perfect health and he blows his ACL out in Training Camp or rookie workouts though..  It's always a real possibility

I can dig where you are coming from though.

I would pass on Gurley because of the knee. If he turns out to be great so be it!

2012 ... NE ran the ball 523 times, 290 times by Ridley for 1236 yds .... Seattle ran 536 times, 315 times by Lynch for 1590.

They do run the ball, and Ridley was "the guy", he just fumbled the job away.

go look at who was getting the ball in 2013 and 2014

A good RB can sometimes make a bad OL look average.

You are way overvaluing RB ... acquiring a potentially great RB is a luxury you spend a 1st on when you have filled in most of your other holes, not something you splurge on when you are still rebuilding and have holes at almost every position.

if you want, go look at my off-season prediction thread. I fill all our holes

if you want, go look at my off-season prediction thread. I fill all our holes

I don't know where your prediction is offhand, but whatever the prediction is it is hypothetical and unlikely everything plays out how you predict, and I would wager you would still want Gordon if he was available in the 1st even if your predictions didn't happen.  And for arguments sake say you do fill many of the holes in FA and the Draft that doesn't mean all those pieces are going to work out and I would rather spend the 1st on talented depth at a questionable position(that is not necessarily a hole...yet), or on a position that will likely be a position of need by next season.

If all of the holes are filled for the most part next season and we just need depth than maybe we look at RB in the 1st.  Although I could probably always find a position I would spend a 1st on other than RB (or I would trade back).

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree, because I don't think any realistic player is going to be available for you not to want Gordon. 

I don't know where your prediction is offhand, but whatever the prediction is it is hypothetical and unlikely everything plays out how you predict, and I would wager you would still want Gordon if he was available in the 1st even if your predictions didn't happen.  And for arguments sake say you do fill many of the holes in FA and the Draft that doesn't mean all those pieces are going to work out and I would rather spend the 1st on talented depth at a questionable position(that is not necessarily a hole...yet), or on a position that will likely be a position of need by next season.

If all of the holes are filled for the most part next season and we just need depth than maybe we look at RB in the 1st.  Although I could probably always find a position I would spend a 1st on other than RB (or I would trade back).

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree, because I don't think any realistic player is going to be available for you not to want Gordon. 

here you go

http://forums.colts.com/topic/35765-off-season-prediction/

go look at who was getting the ball in 2013 and 2014

I didn't say they always had "that guy" only that they have had those guys and made attempts to have those guys.  The fact that they were able run effectively without the "Melvin Gordons" is a testament to what a good OL bring to the table though. 

Melvin G had the worst QB situation in the NCAA, after IU....      and he still dominated.     He makes a lot out of a bunch of nothing.    Go back and watch him he really is talented. 

Gordon, Coleman, Gurley ...      throw them in a hat as far as I'm concerned.        I'd glady take any of them...   But Gurley in the first scares the hell out of me..

And Indy could not go wrong with AA, Duke, Johnson, AJA...     Cobb in later rounds...   third maybe...  

Isn't Gordon more of a straight line runner? which will tend to get enhanced running behind a powerful Oline  A good runner, but I don't know how much shake or elusivenes he has.

I'd pass.

I didn't say they always had "that guy" only that they have had those guys and made attempts to have those guys.  The fact that they were able run effectively without the "Melvin Gordons" is a testament to what a good OL bring to the table though. 

actually no. their better at pass blocking. you cant 8 man a box vs brady

actually no. their better at pass blocking. you cant 8 man a box vs brady

Did say they were better at one that than the other, just that their OL was good. 

Like I said we will just have to agree to disagree ... because their is no realistic scenario for us where I would take Gordon (or any of the RBs) in the 1st round. 

what wasnt addressed then tell me

under addressed DL, under addressed OL, not addressed pass rush,  you cut Toler and Revis is not happening, etc ... etc .... your prediction does not come close to solving enough issues to allow us the luxury of wasting the 1st on a RB. 

under addressed DL, under addressed OL, not addressed pass rush,  you cut Toler and Revis is not happening, etc ... etc .... your prediction does not come close to solving enough issues to allow us the luxury of wasting the 1st on a RB. 

I got us better options on both lines. you cant just get a bunch of players for one particular part of the offense or defense through free agency. thats what the draft is for. your guess is as good as mine when it comes to toler and revis

I got us better options on both lines. you cant just get a bunch of players for one particular part of the offense or defense through free agency. thats what the draft is for. your guess is as good as mine when it comes to toler and revis

dude just give up your fighting a losing battle RB is a luxury nowadays not a need for any team

no having another option besides passing is a need especially late in the season and playoffs

like me and other posters have said numerous times in this thread fix the line and a mid round back will do good and give us that option. Heck even Coleman may be available if we fix the line he would be good for us even duke Johnson

no having another option besides passing is a need especially late in the season and playoffs

That is called having an O Line that can block. Gordon has 22 career catches and you know he knows nothing of blocking coming from Wisconsin. He has Big 10 speed I think you are going to be disappointed

like me and other posters have said numerous times in this thread fix the line and a mid round back will do good and give us that option. Heck even Coleman may be available if we fix the line he would be good for us even duke Johnson

you guys want coleman and duke because their late round picks end of story. fixing the line? good luck with that. we've tried for years. this is the best line we've had in years and thats not saying much

That is called having an O Line that can block. Gordon has 22 career catches and you know he knows nothing of blocking coming from Wisconsin. He has Big 10 speed I think you are going to be disappointed

yea because you cant learn to catch or block  :sigh:

yea because you cant learn to catch or block  :sigh:

so you want to spend 29 on a guy that is a rotational player at a position that isn't of great value?

Let's face it RB isn't a highly valued position in the NFL anymore it is all committee. If you need to learn to catch the ball and pick up blitzes you aren't playing every down.

22 career catches that is crazy. I don't know if you noticed but we toss it to the back a bit.

I will be really * if Gurley is available, we let him go and then the Pats pick him up!

I'd be willing to bet that what Gurley does with the Pats would be significantly more then what he would do with the Colts...ya know he would not be used a lone Back in our system........That's before you take into account our O Lines inept run blocking to this point, He would more likely get that chance with the Patriots if he landed there (I don't think he will)

so you want to spend 29 on a guy that is a rotational player at a position that isn't of great value?

Let's face it RB isn't a highly valued position in the NFL anymore it is all committee. If you need to learn to catch the ball and pick up blitzes you aren't playing every down.

22 career catches that is crazy. I don't know if you noticed but we toss it to the back a bit.

and who was the QB in wisconsin to throw him the ball? last I checked, wisconsin was a running team, but im not that knowledgable about college ball

and who was the QB in wisconsin to throw him the ball? last I checked, wisconsin was a running team, but im not that knowledgable about college ball

The point you're missing here is that Melvin Gordon is not a full 1-2 rounds better than other options in the draft.

Why would I take Gordon in the 1st when I can take Ajayi in the 2nd or Abdullah in the 3rd? 

you are right a running team that produces great O Lineman and running backs like Ron Dayne and Montee Ball. I am done arguing taking a RB at 29 would be a poor decision based on the pool of RB's that will be available later in the draft IMO.  

Taking a RB that has no experience  blocking and 22 career catches doesn't even seem like a good fit here.

The point you're missing here is that Melvin Gordon is not a full 1-2 rounds better than other options in the draft.

Why would I take Gordon in the 1st when I can take Ajayi in the 2nd or Abdullah in the 3rd? 

are they any better?

you are right a running team that produces great O Lineman and running backs like Ron Dayne and Montee Ball. I am done arguing taking a RB at 29 would be a poor decision based on the pool of RB's that will be available later in the draft IMO.  

Taking a RB that has no experience  blocking and 22 career catches doesn't even seem like a good fit here.

such a great o-line, why dont I see any wisconson lineman in the first round?