Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts met with C Reese Dismukes at Combine

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/02/18/will-colts-address-offensive-line-offseason/23636093/

The draft creates some opportunities to acquire talent at center. Reese Dismukes of Auburn and Hroniss Grasu of Oregon are two of the best. (Dismukes said he's already had a meeting with the Colts.)

One of the top rated centers in the draft, has a 2/3 grade in some places. I like him. He's strong, mobile, seems aware, can get to the second level, can turn interior linemen to create running lanes. Doesn't mean we will or should draft him. 

I hope this is just smoke and mirrors. If we draft another center early, it will be a waste of a pick. We have 2 young centers already, and if we were going to get a center, I'd rather have the Colts sign Wiesnewski or draft Andy Gallik or another center in the 4th round or later range.

Dismukes is someone who I have heard great things about, but I haven't seen much of his tape, nor do I know if he is a pure C or if he can play Guard as well. i know Andy Gallik is a Center and Guard and we can get him a round later. Does anyone know if Dismukes is a pure Center? I want to get excited about this, but I'm not extremely thrilled if he's a pure Center.

I hope we don't draft another Center myself. I'm with you BProland, If we want to add a Center, we need to sign Wisneiski. A guy whose proven to be a solid, durable player, and is just 25. Its my opinion that we need to sign free agent O Lineman to immediately fix the line, instead of drafting and waiting and hoping that draft pick pans out.

Watching Grasu right now and my immediate reaction to him after watching 2 tapes (UCLA) (Ohio State) is that he definitely moves well and can get to the second level with ease and usually hits his target when he gets there, Flashes the ability to grapple on and turn his man in the run game, By no means a Center that's going to blow a D Lineman off the ball, shows consistently good hand use, He will get not back a bit to much for me when dropping back in his pass set but readjusts well and generally holds his ground. Definitly agree with his NFL.com profile that there is not a GLARING hole in his game but he will have to get stronger in my opinion and become more consistent turning his hips to open up run lanes.....Long term potential but I'd continue with Holmes or even Harrison over Grasu

Watching Dismukes now:

Watching Grasu right now and my immediate reaction to him after watching 2 tapes (UCLA) (Ohio State) is that he definitely moves well and can get to the second level with ease and usually hits his target when he gets there, Flashes the ability to grapple on and turn his man in the run game, By no means a Center that's going to blow a D Lineman off the ball, shows consistently good hand use, He will get not back a bit to much for me when dropping back in his pass set but readjusts well and generally holds his ground. Definitly agree with his NFL.com profile that there is not a GLARING hole in his game but he will have to get stronger in my opinion and become more consistent turning his hips to open up run lanes.....Long term potential but I'd continue with Holmes or even Harrison over Grasu

Watching Dismukes now:

Definitely curious on what you find out.

Dismukes is someone who I have heard great things about, but I haven't seen much of his tape, nor do I know if he is a pure C or if he can play Guard as well. i know Andy Gallik is a Center and Guard and we can get him a round later. Does anyone know if Dismukes is a pure Center? I want to get excited about this, but I'm not extremely thrilled if he's a pure Center.

I don't think you should get excited about this. There's very little link between who teams meet with at the Combine and who they draft.

I don't think you should get excited about this. There's very little link between who teams meet with at the Combine and who they draft.

That's true, I'll admit I'm desperate right now for any news about the Combine and the Colts to spill out. Dismukes is someone that was unexpected that we talked too. I didn't expect anyone we got last year that we got (was hoping moncrief but didn't expect him). Nothing but a crapshoot at this point for us fans, I'm just hoping Grigson interviewed a lot of solid Offensive Lineman.

Watching Dismukes (LSU and Mississippi State) He can get to the 2nd level well, Main issue is he needs to gain strength...wont blow DT's off the ball much....short arms as well combined with lack of power will ultimately be his undoing I think, I'd agree with his NFL.com about scrabby player but not great in any one category, Works well with Guards is easy to see...Just a guy basically, Good enough to be a decent back up and given his mobility and that he will gain strength he has long term potential

Watching Dismukes (LSU and Mississippi State) He can get to the 2nd level well, Main issue is he needs to gain strength...wont blow DT's off the ball much....short arms as well combined with lack of power will ultimately be his undoing I think, I'd agree with his NFL.com about scrabby player but not great in any one category, Works well with Guards is easy to see...Just a guy basically, Good enough to be a decent back up and given his mobility and that he will gain strength he has long term potential

Based on this, I wouldn't want him any earlier than the 3rd round. Thanks for watching the tape and writing this for all of us. The short arms are what concerns me, as you said, a lack of power is fixable. We'll see in the next couple months how he does.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet: Lets say hypothetically we draft Dismukes, I would bet $100 that Grigson would move Holmes to G. This is a guess obviously, but it's the only thing that makes sense if Dismukes is indeed a pure C.

If we draft Dismukes to me that would show a total lack of confidence in Holmes ability to stay healthy. Do you think Holmes is a better G than C? I just don't see it happening. We have 3 C's on the roster.

We need a RG and a long term answer at RT.

If we draft Dismukes to me that would show a total lack of confidence in Holmes ability to stay healthy. Do you think Holmes is a better G than C? I just don't see it happening. We have 3 C's on the roster.

We need a RG and a long term answer at RT.

You are spot on with this. Holmes is definitely a better C than G, however, the only way I see us drafting us Dismukes is if Holmes moves to G because as you said, "we need a RG and a long term answer at RT". We need a G a lot more than another C, not another C and use our other C to play G that's not his best position. 

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet: Lets say hypothetically we draft Dismukes, I would bet $100 that Grigson would move Holmes to G. This is a guess obviously, but it's the only thing that makes sense if Dismukes is indeed a

The only thing that would make sense to me is that Grig's has no confidence in Holmes ability to stay healthy even then we have Harrison and Shipley is a RFA. This would be a very confusing pick to me with all the areas we need help at. RG and a long term answer at RT just on the O Line.

Really we wasted another year messing around with the C position so much so that we have to spend a pick on the first 2 days to TRY and fix it. I would be very disappointed if that were the case. If it were to be true I would hope the answer is Wisneiski not another rookie.

id say watch the tape of the running back at auburn , there you'll be able to see him in the trenches

I hope this is just due diligence on a player who has some interesting qualities.

I also hope this is not an early sign that the team is giving up on Holmes, especially after only two years....    that would be hugely disappointing.     And especially since he started 7 games, including the last 6 in a row including the playoffs.

Dismukes has some interesting qualities....   he has roughly 4th round grades from NFL network and ESPN....

I'm hoping this turns out to be much ado about nothing....

I hope this is just due diligence on a player who has some interesting qualities.

I also hope this is not an early sign that the team is giving up on Holmes, especially after only two years....    that would be hugely disappointing.     And especially since he started 7 games, including the last 6 in a row including the playoffs.

Dismukes has some interesting qualities....   he has roughly 4th round grades from NFL network and ESPN....

I'm hoping this turns out to be much ado about nothing....

It has to be doesn't make sense in any way.... Does it?

It has to be doesn't make sense in any way.... Does it?

Nope.   No sense to me either.

Especially that fact that several websites have noted is that Dismukes has very short arms.   (31 1/4 inches)

One of the qualities that Holmes has that Grigson loves and always comments on are his very long arms.   I think nearly 34 inches.

And I thought one complaint that front office had with Shipley is that he also has very short arms.

So.....   I just don't know how much to read into this?     Dismukes has a number of very desirable qualities,  but still, for me, it's hard to see us expending a mid-round pick on an o-lineman when Guard and Tackle are much, much more pressing needs.

Hmmm......I think I'd sign AQ Shipley with a minimum contract over spending a third rounder on this guy.