Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Release Multiple Players

B-B

Biggest loss of 3 is NIXON.This tells me COLTS are trying to retain CHERILUS or a early pick in draft will go ol,maybe CORY ROBINSON,DARRYL WILLIAMS OR JOSUE MATIAS which would allow MEWHORT to move to tackle

I'd venture to say we immediately became better by getting rid of Nixon. 

Addition by subtraction. 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see those guys gone, but I wish them well in their future endeavors.

Safety and ILB are going to be pressing needs come draft time. I could see Grigson also releasing Delano Howell and we don't know if the Colts will tender Freeman. Plus McNary is probably done. That leaves the depth chart something like this

ILB

1. D. Jackson

2. ???Freeman???

3. n/a

Safety

1. Mike Adams

2. Sergio Brown

3. Dewey McDonald (I guess)

The safety class this year isn't great in terms of day 1 starters, but there are a lot of depth players who could become great with some seasoning. Basically, a lot of great project safeties.

ILB class is decent and there are a few guys I think you can get to replace Jackson, some who can probably start day 1 too.

Glad to see those guys gone, but I wish them well in their future endeavors.

Safety and ILB are going to be pressing needs come draft time. I could see Grigson also releasing Delano Howell and we don't know if the Colts will tender Freeman. Plus McNary is probably done. That leaves the depth chart something like this

ILB

1. D. Jackson

2. ???Freeman???

3. n/a

Safety

1. Mike Adams

2. Sergio Brown

3. Dewey McDonald (I guess)

The safety class this year isn't great in terms of day 1 starters, but there are a lot of depth players who could become great with some seasoning. Basically, a lot of great project safeties.

ILB class is decent and there are a few guys I think you can get to replace Jackson, some who can probably start day 1 too.

Hope it doesn't come to us cutting Howell, hope he makes the smart choice & leaves on his own. Neck injuries are nothing to be played with

I like LaRon, but not too disappointed with the release, because of his high salary.  Although, that creates a bigger hole because Sergio (who I am guessing will be resigned) and Adams (may retire) are also FA.  Hopefully the front office has a plan to sign somebody.  I hear the S position doesn't have a whole lot of talent in this years draft, but thankfully there is some in FA.  I would love to have McCourty, but highly doubt he even hits the market.

As in addition to the S position, there are other higher priorities (believe it or not)!  RG & RT (I have a feeling Grigson is going to go another year with the plug n play crap).  Signing Heenan was nice, but I don't think he is going to be an very talented player in the NFL.  Who knows?  Most of us want Cherilus gone, but that doesn't guarantee we get a FA that would be better.  I don't think a rookie will come in and do better unless he is a 1st round pick.  Just speculating, but we may be worse off from where we were last year.  I sincerely hope Grigson realizes the importance and urgency, that the Colts NEED a good OL.

DL is another area that is up in the air.  Redding is probably going to retire, if not, he will still be going downhill, and won't be any better next year!  He was a big motivator on D, especially with Mathis out (and he is aging which becomes another issue).  We NEED a dominant NT that will clog some holes so our rush defense isn't terrible, and allow 200+ yd games, or get the football ran down our throats against good teams.  I think we can all agree that our LB's aren't too good.  Freeman is a hair above average and DQ may be as well, but both have weaknesses in their game and certainly can't depend on them to be enforcers for the defense.  We have absolutely no pass rush.  A 5th round rookie was on the highlight reel more than anybody, when Walden and Werner haven't lived up to expectations.

All that being said, there is some good news!  We have quite a bit of cap room to work with, and have all of our draft picks.  Some of the needs positions (DT/NT RG S) has some talent in FA.  These players can be game changers, and make a huge difference by signing one or two of them.  I just hope that Grigson isn't afraid to pay people, or continues to find the diamonds in the rough, as potential starters (like Heenan, Carter I'm okay with because we have Moncrief and Hilton), and think they will do the job.  This team has MANY big holes to fill, because our weaknesses are HUGE weaknesses!  Which are tried to be covered up by our tremendous strengths.  This type of formula creates an unbalanced team.  Exactly what the front office and D.A. has talked about you can't be too successful with.  I hope they're serious this offseason, and don't chalk it up as talk, just like they've said about the OL in previous years or having a "power run game"!

It is very possible to be a SB team next year, because the Pats and Broncos went "All-In" last year, and more than likely will regress due to being in salary cap trouble.  This is the 4th year of the program, and it should be a huge be the biggest improvement with the exception of year 1.  Players like Luck, Hilton, Allen, Fleener, and perhaps Werner, will be beginning their prime years, but we can't expect them to "carry the load" because that will make us an unbalanced team.  You do not win SB's by being a great offense and a not so good offense.  We were very lucky to win the one under Peyton, because IMO our defense wasn't good, but they happened to be playing good in Jan.  Then we lucked out playing the Bears in the SB (bad offense+great defense=unbalanced).   

We have ALOT of work to do, but hopefully this is a year we can see significantly improvement (talent wise), not necessarilly by record, but that displays improving talent. 

Having a hard hitting Safety is overrated in todays NFL, Need two cover safeties

We didn't have a hard hitting safety, Landry was a poser.  Now he can go stand in front of the mirror all he wants too!  I love we dumped him.  And, the way we got run on v NE might suggest we need to stop the run......c'mon man!

COLTS should release ADAMS,MOALA,LANDRY,NIXON,ANDREW JACKSON,BALLARD,HAVILI,HERON,GORDY,BRUBAKER.

RE-SIGN---BRADSHAW,SERGIO.,NICKS,REITZ,RJF,BUTLER,FREEMAN.

Um, well, they've already released Landry, Nixon and Jackson.....sorry don't know who Brubaker is though so can't help you with that one.

Seriously, don't make me hit the archives and dig up all the comments from people who wanted Landry in 2013, and who were excited when we signed him. 

In fairness, he had the pedigree and looked the part (big time).  As a fan why wouldn't you be excited right?  Then we see he plays heartless and soft on field and is more interested in selfies than tackles.  Who knew?  I liked the signing after watching Bethea digress into a miss-tackle machine.  I guess we could lament Idris Bashir and Mike Doss for a while too...hah! If only Bob could have stayed healthy.  Mike Prior anyone?

COLTS should release ADAMS,MOALA,LANDRY,NIXON,ANDREW JACKSON,BALLARD,HAVILI,HERON,GORDY,BRUBAKER.

Uh... Havili hasn't been on the team at all this year.

Studebaker? He's one of our better special teamers. 

Brubaker: 80's prison movie starring Robert Redford and a little known Morgan Freeman

In fairness, he had the pedigree and looked the part (big time).  As a fan why wouldn't you be excited right?  Then we see he plays heartless and soft on field and is more interested in selfies than tackles.  Who knew?  I liked the signing after watching Bethea digress into a miss-tackle machine.  I guess we could lament Idris Bashir and Mike Doss for a while too...hah! If only Bob could have stayed healthy.  Mike Prior anyone?

In fairness, that's why Grigson signed him. Pro Bowler in 2012, played a nice role in a defense similar to ours, etc. And I think it was a popular move.

I was just pointing out how easy it is to be a GM when you can judge moves in hindsight, and you're not accountable for your mistakes. 

In fairness, that's why Grigson signed him. Pro Bowler in 2012, played a nice role in a defense similar to ours, etc. And I think it was a popular move.

I was just pointing out how easy it is to be a GM when you can judge moves in hindsight, and you're not accountable for your mistakes. 

This. 

This is the same reason why I don't blame Grigson for the TRich trade. We needed a RB, and we were able to get a young guy who just came off a season with 10 TDs and 950 yards. 

I was ecstatic when we picked up Landry. I thought he would do really well. Unfortunately that's not the case. He played awful this year- and it's time to move on from the mistakes.

Truth be told, I think Grigson has been fairly conservative for a guy who took over a team that went 2-12 and gutted the roster. I figured more trades and FA signings would have been in order. 

This. 

This is the same reason why I don't blame Grigson for the TRich trade. We needed a RB, and we were able to get a young guy who just came off a season with 10 TDs and 950 yards. 

I was ecstatic when we picked up Landry. I thought he would do really well. Unfortunately that's not the case. He played awful this year- and it's time to move on from the mistakes.

Truth be told, I think Grigson has been fairly conservative for a guy who took over a team that went 2-12 and gutted the roster. I figured more trades and FA signings would have been in order. 

I don't like using a first on a RB, and Richardson has been worse than Landry, all told. I think there's waaaay more room for criticism of that move than for the Landry deal. 

Either way, I don't have a problem with people pointing out moves that haven't worked out. But it does sort of chap my hide when people act like they were way out ahead of a move and the GM who made it is a blind fool. 

This. 

Wow, don't quit your day job lol

I don't like using a first on a RB, and Richardson has been worse than Landry, all told. I think there's waaaay more room for criticism of that move than for the Landry deal. 

Either way, I don't have a problem with people pointing out moves that haven't worked out. But it does sort of chap my hide when people act like they were way out ahead of a move and the GM who made it is a blind fool. 

That's neither here, nor there. The recent trend of not taking RBs in the first round has only existed for a couple of years. I'll never get mad at Grigson for making moves that make sense at the time. Yes, I get it- it was an expensive move and it didn't work, but at the time he made the trade- it made sense.

Wow, don't quit your day job lol

What?

That's neither here, nor there. The recent trend of not taking RBs in the first round has only existed for a couple of years. I'll never get mad at Grigson for making moves that make sense at the time. Yes, I get it- it was an expensive move and it didn't work, but at the time he made the trade- it made sense.

It's not about the recent trend, or general consensus. It's about the value of the position, and aside from special players, RBs haven't been worth first rounders for several years now. I understand the reasoning behind the trade, even though I don't agree with the value. 

I didn't go through the whole 6 pages to make sure this wasn't already posted but Kravitz has a pretty good write up on Landry.

http://www.wthr.com/story/28085067/kravitz-blog-a-hearty-good-riddance-to-landry-others