Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is on your "Wish List"

ColtStronger

As Free Agency is approaching, the Colts have many decisions to make.  Who are the current Colts that should be resigned, and who should be brought in to fill a hole?  What big name players should Grigson bring in this offseason?

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Who-Are-The-NFL-Free-Agents-In-2015/377f8d96-621d-4c76-8b74-f8342ce4cc2f

QB: Preferrably re sign Hasselbeck, if not I think we should try to get Gabbert as a backup

RB:  I see the team letting go of Ahmad and quite possibly Trent.  With Ballard on his rookie contract still I could see him brought back but would be surprised to see him go also.  I believe Boom and Zurlon could be decent, but *IF* the staff still desires to have a power run game, they will need to fix the OL first.  I don't know their plans with that (obviously) but just speculating I think a good fit for the team, being as is would be picking up Ray Rice (doubtful) Frank Gore (likely) and Jaquizz Rodgers (probably not but, he does have big play potential).

WR:  I really think we should just re sign Nicks, but it doesn't appear it will likely happen.  After bringing in Carter I don't see a glaring hole so somebody like Miles Austin or Cecil Shorts would be fine.

FB: John Kuhn would be awesome, but it doesn't appear that the Colts have made up their mind about a true power run game, and really haven't been using a FB too often after Stanley Havili

TE:  No move necessary

OT:  Don't know a whole lot about OL but one thing is for sure, Cherilus' contract isn't worth his output, and his injury is very scary!  I think we should cut Gosder, and sign the BPA.  Show him the money to seal the deal!

G:  I think bringing in Heenan was the Colts attempt to address that position need.  Hopefully, not but I don't see them throwing big bucks around on a different one, with Thornton still under contract.  Go ahead and cut D. Thomas (yesterday)!  That day cant come quick enough.  If the Colts are feeling frisky I would love to see somebody with experience though.  Orlando Franklin or Mike Iupati

C:  We gotta stick with Holmes at this point.  Can't put him off any more.  This should've been a no brainer last year... Should've paid Mack IMO, but who am I to say.

DE:  Looks like Redding is headed for the hills so this will need to be addressed.  Very highly doubt, but if Hardy somehow was available, that would be great!  If not Jason Pierre-Paul or Anthony Spencer  would be nice.

DT:  This is arguably Colts biggest need, and lucky for them there is alot of talent awaiting...  I really don't want Suh's personalitiy or his contract he will DEMAND so I wouldn't mind seeing Fairly or Knighton.

OLB:  Another big need, with Mathis on his last leg and a lackluster pass rush, Orakpo or Houston could provide a much needed spark.

ILB:  I thought Freeman's contract was up, and if the price is right, we should resign.  However, Rolando McClain or Larry Foote would be an upgrade.  Provide a bigger body than what we have now, and from what I've seen McClain is good in pass coverage.

CB:  Resigning Butler is a must IMO.  Get a good bang for your buck!  Plenty of ways to upgrade but it may be costly.  I just think it would be better to spend the money elsewhere.

S:  Another position to keep an eye on.  I think we should resign Sergio, because he has been getting better, and stepped into Landry's role and fulfilled it well.  At the least he is great backup.  Adams proved he still has it, by making the Pro Bowl.  I wouldn't mind bringing both of them back, but with Adams another year older, looking for a replacement might not be a bad idea.  Merriweather or McCourty would bring some tenacity to the secondary, similar to what we thought we were getting in Landry.  He is someone also to watch.  I don't think he will get cut, but his salary definitely doesn't match the output.

What we do in FA is will also depend on part of our draft strategy.  In the BIG NEED situations I would just prefer spending the money in FA so you know what you're getting, and isn't as high of a risk.  I don't look to much into prospecting but if there is a boatload of talent in a certain position of need, then I do believe we should wait to save some money.  The first 3-4 rounds in this year's draft will be key.  Grigson must hit big on AT LEAST 1 or 2 of them.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good read.  But I tdon't think JPP or Hardy would play in a 3-4 as a down lineman.  They are more 4-3 ends.  I am not real big on throwing a lot of money at one guy, but it would be interesting to see the Colts cut so of the dead weight free agents they have signed, which would clear up close to 10 million and go after Suh.  He is a punk but he is dominant. And I do believe he can play in a 3-4.  I wouldn't go after Spikes because he is a pure run stuffer.  He lacks any ability to cover.  Iupati would be good.

My wish is that we get stronger on the OLine and front 7 on defense.  Draft a RB maybe 2nd or 3rd.  

First off, NO to Cecil shorts. There's an expression that you get what you pay for and that holds true with shorts. He's average in every sense of the word. If you go with someone at WR, make it Randall Cobb. He can make a devastating combo with Hilton and he's the type of WR we need. I would go with Orlando Franklin and Devin McCourty as well. Fill the rest through the draft.

Ok since this is a "WISH" list,

- Demarco Murray, or Marshawn Lynch barring if they are not resigned.  

- Suh

- Devin Mccourty a true FS is needed

- Mike Lupati

- Nate Irving or Rolando McClain. 

Once again just a Wish list i understand the chances of us getting these guys are slim to none 

First off, NO to Cecil shorts. There's an expression that you get what you pay for and that holds true with shorts. He's average in every sense of the word. If you go with someone at WR, make it Randall Cobb. He can make a devastating combo with Hilton and he's the type of WR we need. I would go with Orlando Franklin and Devin McCourty as well. Fill the rest through the draft.

I'm not trying to claim Shorts as being good, but if Nicks walks and Reggie retires, we still need bodies on our roster.  You're absolutely right, we wouldn't pay much for Shorts, because we don't need a big time WR.  Behind TY Moncrief and Carter I think Shorts would be just fine.  If Carter turns out to be even half as good as the rumors we have a devastating WR corp as is.  No way do we pay Randall Cobb #1 type money. It would be a waste, IMO.

I'm not trying to claim Shorts as being good, but if Nicks walks and Reggie retires, we still need bodies on our roster.  You're absolutely right, we wouldn't pay much for Shorts, because we don't need a big time WR.  Behind TY Moncrief and Carter I think Shorts would be just fine.  If Carter turns out to be even half as good as the rumors we have a devastating WR corp as is.  No way do we pay Randall Cobb #1 type money. It would be a waste, IMO.

I know what you're saying, my only worry with shorts is that if he ends up being our no2, we would have a downgrade in receivers. Also I think if we signed Shorts, I believe we'd end up drafting a WR in the middle rounds. I'd rather Sign Cobb and draft a Titus Davis type receiver late. I think we might be able to get Cobb for #2 type money if Dez or Demaryius hits the market, unlikely, but possible. It's a wish list, so I wish Grigson would commit to Cobb for 5 years and complete an elite group of receivers for Luck for a long time. We might get shorts though, and it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Ok since this is a "WISH" list,

- Demarco Murray, or Marshawn Lynch barring if they are not resigned.  

- Suh

- Devin Mccourty a true FS is needed

- Mike Lupati

- Nate Irving or Rolando McClain. 

Once again just a Wish list i understand the chances of us getting these guys are slim to none 

I think McCourty Iupati and McClain are very possible, but with Heenan signed, it appears the Colts are trying to get a bargain deal with a cheap G.  Everybody wants Suh, but I think Knighton would be easier to get just for that reason!  Plus doesn't have the character issues and would be a little cheaper.  Murray or Lynch is a stretch but the Colts backfield is depleted.  Richardson on his way out.  Ballard and Bradshaw always beaten up, and Tipton/Herron being very young, a big splash with a RB could also be a possibility. 

If the Colts got rid of some contracts (Landry, Cherilus, Redding, Richardson), those signings aren't too far fetched.  Of course we would need to sign replacements but Sergio could fill LaRon's role, and Redding is probably gone anyways, so I think it could be very doable. 

Good read.  But I tdon't think JPP or Hardy would play in a 3-4 as a down lineman.  They are more 4-3 ends.  I am not real big on throwing a lot of money at one guy, but it would be interesting to see the Colts cut so of the dead weight free agents they have signed, which would clear up close to 10 million and go after Suh.  He is a punk but he is dominant. And I do believe he can play in a 3-4.  I wouldn't go after Spikes because he is a pure run stuffer.  He lacks any ability to cover.  Iupati would be good.

My wish is that we get stronger on the OLine and front 7 on defense.  Draft a RB maybe 2nd or 3rd.  

I think Pierre Paul and Hardy are talented to make a transition, but youre right, it's not ideal.  Besides I highly doubt Hardy will be available. I think he's still under contract, but the Panthers may release him, due to off the field issue.   I just don't see us going after Suh, merely because of the character issues, but a NT is very much needed and there are several big name players at DT in FA.  I think this is an area we will make a big splash. 

I know what you're saying, my only worry with shorts is that if he ends up being our no2, we would have a downgrade in receivers. Also I think if we signed Shorts, I believe we'd end up drafting a WR in the middle rounds. I'd rather Sign Cobb and draft a Titus Davis type receiver late. I think we might be able to get Cobb for #2 type money if Dez or Demaryius hits the market, unlikely, but possible. It's a wish list, so I wish Grigson would commit to Cobb for 5 years and complete an elite group of receivers for Luck for a long time. We might get shorts though, and it wouldn't be a bad thing.

No way Shorts would be a #2 in our offense.  Carter and Moncrief are young, but I think one or the other will emerge as a top tier WR within the next year or two.  The other should still be really good as a #3.  Shorts wouldn't even be in the same category.  I don't see Dez or Demaryius hitting FA, but if they did, it would only drive the market price for the other receivers like Cobb. 

No way Shorts would be a #2 in our offense.  Carter and Moncrief are young, but I think one or the other will emerge as a top tier WR within the next year or two.  The other should still be really good as a #3.  Shorts wouldn't even be in the same category.  I don't see Dez or Demaryius hitting FA, but if they did, it would only drive the market price for the other receivers like Cobb. 

Yeah, Cobb would probably want more. You saying that reminded me of the CB wars last year in Free Agency. I didn't think of it that way. Shorts is a safety net IMO, and I'm sure your opinion is close to that as well if we signed him. My thinking is that we will spend a bit in Free Agency anyway and shore up the rest of the roster through the draft. I like Cobb to do this, but there are plenty of other players as well who could do the same. Just hoping we don't sign a bunch of average guys hoping one breaks through. I'd rather sign 3 solid free agents that fit our scheme that have the best chance of working out. Franklin, McCourty and Cobb are my dream trio.

C:  We gotta stick with Holmes at this point.  Can't put him off any more.  This should've been a no brainer last year... Should've paid Mack IMO, but who am I to say.

Someone that escaped from an asylum, that's who you are if you think the Colts "should've paid Mack".  Do you have any idea how much they would have had to pay Mack to prevent Cleveland from matching the offer?  Here's a list of the highest paid centers (per their 2015 cap hits), and this is with the contract that Cleveland had no problem matching.  See the jump from Mack to Pouncey, and then from Pouncey to Wood?  And after Wood, the next highest paid C is in the $5mil range and from there it drops down to the $4mil area.  By the way, as far as Kalil goes, that $11.8 Mil is the highest cap hit on his 6 year contract...a contract to Mack that Cleveland would have refused to match would likely have had to average in that area if not even higher.

1 panthers.png Ryan Kalil Center $11,795,000 2 jets.png Nick Mangold Center $10,407,100 3 Pittsburgh-Steelers-logo-psd22874.png Maurkice Pouncey Center $8,100,000 4 texans.png Chris Myers Center $8,000,000   browns.png Alex Mack Center $8,000,000 6 dolphins.png Mike Pouncey Center $7,438,000 7 buffalo.png Eric Wood Center $6,650,000

Suh  - because of his attitude (and obviously his talent). 

It can be done, there was an article on how he wouldn't break the bank even with Luck getting a big contract.                                                                

Someone that escaped from an asylum, that's who you are if you think the Colts "should've paid Mack".  Do you have any idea how much they would have had to pay Mack to prevent Cleveland from matching the offer?  Here's a list of the highest paid centers (per their 2015 cap hits), and this is with the contract that Cleveland had no problem matching.  See the jump from Mack to Pouncey, and then from Pouncey to Wood?  And after Wood, the next highest paid C is in the $5mil range and from there it drops down to the $4mil area.  By the way, as far as Kalil goes, that $11.8 Mil is the highest cap hit on his 6 year contract...a contract to Mack that Cleveland would have refused to match would likely have had to average in that area if not even higher.

1 panthers.png Ryan Kalil Center $11,795,000 2 jets.png Nick Mangold Center $10,407,100 3 Pittsburgh-Steelers-logo-psd22874.png Maurkice Pouncey Center $8,100,000 4 texans.png Chris Myers Center $8,000,000   browns.png Alex Mack Center $8,000,000 6 dolphins.png Mike Pouncey Center $7,438,000 7 buffalo.png Eric Wood Center $6,650,000

I actually thought Mack was around 10M last year, so I would've went for 8 for sure lol.  I know it's very pricey, but he could've been our C for the next 10+ years with Luck behind him.  You must protect your franchise.  The interior of our line was terrible, and we simply couldn't dream about running up the gut.  Mack would have ensured that.  Plus the C can help out with a struggling G also.  Mewhort did a decent job being a rookie, but Thornton and whoever filled in for him were sub par to say the least.  It would've made a big impact on the OL, and we would've at least had a running game.

Now we are left with Holmes, who is still a ?  This is not a good progression where this franchise should be on the OL going into the 4th year of the program.  IMO, after you get your franchise QB, the next step is to protect your investment.  How?  You get a OL that doesn't let those pesky pass rushers near him...

Adrian Peterson + Haloti Ngata.

The Best Runner and Arguably The Best Run Stopper In the NFL.

Both perfect fits for the Colts.

I think we will make a run for Ngata!  So many Baltimore ties, and we have a huge need for his position.  He gets to join a SB ready team.  It makes sense for both parties. 

BTW it's not that crazy considering how much we've invested in Landry Cherilus and trading our #1 pick for Richardson, w/o a good OL to boot!  Not a good return on investment on any those players.  Not to mention Werner and Walden have big disappointments also.  At least Alex Mack is a pro bowl caliber player, and not just having a contract like his is...

BTW it's not that crazy considering how much we've invested in Landry Cherilus and trading our #1 pick for Richardson, w/o a good OL to boot!  Not a good return on investment on any those players.  Not to mention Werner and Walden have big disappointments also.  At least Alex Mack is a pro bowl caliber player, and not just having a contract like his is...

you're still missing the point though.  Jacksonville offered him the contract and Cleveland matched it without batting an eye.  I wouldn't be surprised if Grigson would have been fine with paying $8mil per year for Mack.  However, there is no way we could have gotten Mack for that price.  Grigson would have had to have offered a contract that Cleveland was unwilling to match, and at the time they had I believe the 2nd most cap space available.  So in order to get Mack, Grigson would likely have had to pay him a min. of $12 mil per year if not even more than that. You're talking about paying a C the same type of money that LT's get, and then Grigson still has to extend our own LT who in 2015 will be playing under the option year of his rookie contract. 

So it wasn't about Grigson being unwilling to pay Mack, it was about Grigson not willing to massively overpay Mack. 

edit*** Walden hasn't been a disappointment.  That's just crazy.  Cherilus would have been a much better ROI if it weren't for the injuries.  Werner still has plenty of room to improve.

My wish list?

Offense:

Mike Iupati

Stefen Wisniewski

Defense:

Terrence Knighton

Darnell Dockett

Brian Orakpo

Devin McCourty

Then draft Denzel Perryman and Dorial Green Beckham. Best RB available after that. Then Boom, Monster Defense, revamped O Line, and we're the bully of the NFL.

My wish list?

Offense:

Mike Iupati

Stefen Wisniewski

Defense:

Terrence Knighton

Darnell Dockett

Brian Orakpo

Devin McCourty

Then draft Denzel Perryman and Dorial Green Beckham. Best RB available after that. Then Boom, Monster Defense, revamped O Line, and we're the bully of the NFL.

How are you going to get Dockett?

Unfortunately I think so also, but I can hope.  If not Merriweather would be a good addition, although I don't like his additude either.

We need a player like Merriweather, but only if we also have a FS next to him who can cover. Drafting Prewitt to pair with him would be OK. Personally I don't think Adams can repeat this seasons success so I wouldn't mind signing a guy like Delmas to pair with a draft pick either.

Ngata (if he made it to market)

Franklin (he was a road grader at the end of the season)

Mccourty (will never make it but yes...great cover safety)

I would love to make a move for a linebacker as well...probably have to be a trade.

I could throw names out all day but in the end we need a solid draft to keep building and throw in a couple maulers on both sides of the ball.

Suh  - because of his attitude (and obviously his talent). 

It can be done, there was an article on how he wouldn't break the bank even with Luck getting a big contract.                                                                

Signing Suh would be the single best thing the Colts could do to improve the team, but it's also pie-in-the-sky, since there's no way Detroit will let him go, just as there was no way the Texans were going to let JJ Watt go last year. Suh, like Watt, is such an integral part the team's identity that to not get a deal done with him is almost unthinkable. At the very least, they'll franchise him. So either way, the odds of the Colts signing him are slim at best.

McCourty, and with one analyst believing the Ravens may part ways with NGata to be free of his contract, i think we should go after him IF they do indeed release him. if not then Suh. wouldn't mind seeing Orlando Franklin at RG as well. as far as RB goes, Vereen, Ridley or Ingram would be fine but i wish the colts would draft the RB from Wisconsin or if Coleman from IU falls to us in the second round we draft him. two backs who get a burst of speed after they reach the second level.

I actually thought Mack was around 10M last year, so I would've went for 8 for sure lol.  I know it's very pricey, but he could've been our C for the next 10+ years with Luck behind him.  You must protect your franchise.  The interior of our line was terrible, and we simply couldn't dream about running up the gut.  Mack would have ensured that.  Plus the C can help out with a struggling G also.  Mewhort did a decent job being a rookie, but Thornton and whoever filled in for him were sub par to say the least.  It would've made a big impact on the OL, and we would've at least had a running game.

Now we are left with Holmes, who is still a ?  This is not a good progression where this franchise should be on the OL going into the 4th year of the program.  IMO, after you get your franchise QB, the next step is to protect your investment.  How?  You get a OL that doesn't let those pesky pass rushers near him...

Mack is 29 and May have 5 good years. Get a grip!

I think we make a run at Adrian Peterson when the Vikings release him. 

It makes perfect sense. Obviously the O-line isn't going to form into a powerful force right away, if even ever. It's been a problem for so long now that I don't even believe in good O-line play in this city anymore. 

Peterson makes most of his magic happen after first contact, so however bad our run blocking may be next year, he has the most potential to negate that. He's only got a few good years left, and this is a Super Bowl contending team. 

It will be tricky though. Jerry Jones is gonna let Murray walk, and he already has a bead drawn on Peterson. Very good chance the Cowboys make a trade for him before Minnesota has to release him.

Signing Suh would be the single best thing the Colts could do to improve the team, but it's also pie-in-the-sky, since there's no way Detroit will let him go, just as there was no way the Texans were going to let JJ Watt go last year. Suh, like Watt, is such an integral part the team's identity that to not get a deal done with him is almost unthinkable. At the very least, they'll franchise him. So either way, the odds of the Colts signing him are slim at best.

Probably. That's why it's a wish list.

I think we make a run at Adrian Peterson when the Vikings release him. 

It makes perfect sense. Obviously the O-line isn't going to form into a powerful force right away, if even ever. It's been a problem for so long now that I don't even believe in good O-line play in this city anymore. 

Peterson makes most of his magic happen after first contact, so however bad our run blocking may be next year, he has the most potential to negate that. He's only got a few good years left, and this is a Super Bowl contending team. 

It will be tricky though. Jerry Jones is gonna let Murray walk, and he already has a bead drawn on Peterson. Very good chance the Cowboys make a trade for him before Minnesota has to release him.

I'd love to get AP for a couple years. He'll probably end up being cut too. I'd bet he signs with Dallas when he is cut though.

you're still missing the point though.  Jacksonville offered him the contract and Cleveland matched it without batting an eye.  I wouldn't be surprised if Grigson would have been fine with paying $8mil per year for Mack.  However, there is no way we could have gotten Mack for that price.  Grigson would have had to have offered a contract that Cleveland was unwilling to match, and at the time they had I believe the 2nd most cap space available.  So in order to get Mack, Grigson would likely have had to pay him a min. of $12 mil per year if not even more than that. You're talking about paying a C the same type of money that LT's get, and then Grigson still has to extend our own LT who in 2015 will be playing under the option year of his rookie contract. 

So it wasn't about Grigson being unwilling to pay Mack, it was about Grigson not willing to massively overpay Mack. 

You haven't even mentioned the fact that center is historically the least physically demanding position on the line, a position for which you don't need a gifted physical specimen. Paying $8m/year for a center is really kind of crazy.

Shorts can be very good IMO.

He's average because he plays on the Jaguars with no QB or offensive line.

Put him with Luck and he will be twice as good.