Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Interviewed

IndyD4U

You can be both qualified and a Rooney Rule interview.  That's how Mike Tomlin was hired.

The last time I checked Mike Tomlin was still a head coach in this league. You don't like the rule that's cool, I can understand that. I'm just tired of everytime there is a "Pep is a hc candidate" thread, someone wants to talk out the side of they mouth about the Rooney rule. It's getting old already.

My inner cynic suggests a Rooney Rule motivator...get it done quick and out of the way. Any other minorities on the list?

That is absurd. Why would the GM travel from California to Indy only to comply with the Rooney Rule? He can easily fulfill that by interviewing one of many minorities on the current coaching staff.

OC in college to OC in the NFL for only 2 years and all of a sudden he's NFL head coach ready material?

I'd rather not see the Colts have to get yet another OC already, but in reality, imho Pep has been an OC of mixed results. If he can get a serious offer as a HC, then he'd be crazy to not go for it ... and I wouldn't stand in his way, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over losing him.

Quite frankly, I don't view him as being anywhere near ready to be an NFL HC, but hey, what do I know?

My prediction = a lot of noise, but he'll be back as Colts' OC.

I thought teams had to wait until after a team is eliminated to interview their coaches

Yeah 21, that's what I thought too. How could Pep even talk to another owner while INDY is still alive in the post season? Why would Pagano even give him permission to do so? Isn't he preoccupied with slowing down Jack Del Rio's defense right now? Good question man.  :thmup:

Otherwise, isn't it considered tampering by league rules? 

I think it funny how everyone wanted Pep to be fired a few days ago... And now they all are begging for him to stay here!

I saw your post count, so you're pretty new here.  It's a good idea not to use words like the bolded.  It can get you in trouble because in this case most definitely not everyone wanted Pep fired....me being one of them wanting him to stick around.

I thought teams had to wait until after a team is eliminated to interview their coaches

Yeah 21, that's what I thought too. How could Pep even talk to another owner while INDY is still alive in the post season? Why would Pagano even give him permission to do so? Isn't he preoccupied with slowing down Jack Del Rio's defense right now? Good question man.  :thmup:

Otherwise, isn't it considered tampering by league rules? 

Teams can give permission for other teams to talk with their coordinators while still in the playoffs.  In this case the Colts gave the Raiders a deadline of midnight Sunday to speak with Pep.   I doubt that kept him from having enough time to start prepping for the Broncos.

That is absurd. Why would the GM travel from California to Indy only to comply with the Rooney Rule? He can easily fulfill that by interviewing one of many minorities on the current coaching staff.

That is true & a valid point NFLfan, but it reminds me of when Pete Carroll jumped on the Seahawks plane to talk to Peyton Manning & he politely told Pete to get lost. I would have told Raiders ownership no as well. 

If INDY gets knocked off by Denver, then the interview flood gates are open for business not before. You can't just show up out of the blue & expect the red carpet to be rolled out. I don't care how far an NFL owner or selection committee has traveled personally to speak with a OC, DC, or special teams guy. JMO. 

Teams can give permission for other teams to talk with their coordinators while still in the playoffs.  In this case the Colts gave the Raiders a deadline of midnight Sunday to speak with Pep.   I doubt that kept him from having enough time to start prepping for the Broncos.

Thanks for the clarification Mr. Blueblood. Me? Unless Raiders ownership called up Grigs during our bye week & made arrangements with Pags to ask for permission for a Pep 1 on 1 sit down, I'm not doing it on the spur of the moment.

Routine means everything during a Playoffs run for both the players, trainers, & coaching staff. You never want to alter or screw up that pattern especially when your team's mojo & chemistry are hot. Superstition plays a huge roll here. Interviews can wait. Besides, if a franchise wants you as their man bad enough, they will wait for you, & if not, the job wasn't meant to be for you anyway. That's how I look at it. 

Thanks for the clarification Mr. Blueblood. Me? Unless Raiders ownership called up Grigs during our bye week & made arrangements with Pags to ask for permission for a Pep 1 on 1 sit down, I'm not doing it on the spur of the moment.

Routine means everything during a Playoffs run for both the players, trainers, & coaching staff. You never want to alter or screw up that pattern especially when your team's mojo & chemistry are hot. Superstition plays a huge roll here. Interviews can wait. Besides, if a franchise wants you as their man bad enough, they will wait for you, & if not, the job wasn't meant to be for you anyway. That's how I look at it. 

I definitely understand your point, and certain coordinators like Kubiak for the Ravens have refused to do any HC interviews until the Ravens are done with the playoffs.  It's all up to the individuals themselves I guess to their preferences.

Preventing position coaches from trying to better themselves by moving up the ranks with other teams is a potential recipe for losing them anyway.  If I'm a coordinator and I'm told I can't interview for another team (especially as a HC), I'm probably gonna be pretty ticked.  The more time goes by, unless a team has pretty much set their sights on you, the more the desireable jobs like the SF and ATL jobs get taken and you're left with the Raiders of the world to choose from.

Football players and coaches are creatures of habit for sure, they are all about that routine.  But lMO, giving them until midnight after a game you just finished after 4 pm, really isn't taking that much time away from Pep to do what Pep needs to do to get ready for next week.

I definitely understand your point, and certain coordinators like Kubiak for the Ravens have refused to do any HC interviews until the Ravens are done with the playoffs.  It's all up to the individuals themselves I guess to their preferences.

Preventing position coaches from trying to better themselves by moving up the ranks with other teams is a potential recipe for losing them anyway.  If I'm a coordinator and I'm told I can't interview for another team (especially as a HC), I'm probably gonna be pretty ticked.  The more time goes by, unless a team has pretty much set their sights on you, the more the desireable jobs like the SF and ATL jobs get taken and you're left with the Raiders of the world to choose from.

Football players and coaches are creatures of habit for sure, they are all about that routine.  But lMO, giving them until midnight after a game you just finished after 4 pm, really isn't taking that much time away from Pep to do what Pep needs to do to get ready for next week.

A nice post. I always understand where you are coming from in terms of allowing coordinators to better their economic situation financially down the road.

But, here is my counter to that argument: 1. You are currently on my payroll as the Colts owner & or HC administrator who hired you meaning you do what I say within reason. What's 1-2 more weeks? Nothing in the grand scheme of things in the longrun. 2. INDY is a top tier NFL franchise meaning we are a darn good club associated with winning. Employment opportunities in other cities won't be drying up anytime soon with our legacy & reputation of annual success. 3. Coordinators are paid to create winning formations for the team that cuts their check right now in the current season not future prospects or bosses 1 year later. 

Look, if another team makes advance preparation moves with me weeks before the Playoffs begin, I can play ball & schedule an interview with a coordinator on my staff pretty easy. Just don't crash the party, expect to be pampered, or be surprised when I firmly say no to your request. It's all about timing & advanced notification that's all I'm saying.  

because theres no longevity with the raiders

easier said then done

Obviously. It's still strange to expect a guy to blow off the chance to become a head coach in the NFL. Even for the Raiders. 

It took Bruce Arians until he was 60 to get serious consideration for head coaching jobs. This might be Pep's only chance. He should take advantage of it. And even if he doesn't get offered the job or chooses to withdraw, he'll have the experience of the interview, which can help him in the future.

Yeah. I am new here! I actually didn't even mean to put that in bold. I'm still trying to figure things out! Personally, I wanted Pep to stay all along. His play calling is very skeptical sometimes, but he doesn't have the right guys to work with for his system. That falls on Grigson. I just find it funny how quick minds can be changed.

That is true & a valid point NFLfan, but it reminds me of when Pete Carroll jumped on the Seahawks plane to talk to Peyton Manning & he politely told Pete to get lost. I would have told Raiders ownership no as well.

If INDY gets knocked off by Denver, then the interview flood gates are open for business not before. You can't just show up out of the blue & expect the red carpet to be rolled out. I don't care how far an NFL owner or selection committee has traveled personally to speak with a OC, DC, or special teams guy. JMO.

You may not approve of Pep's accepting an interview. That's understandable. But the point remains that it is ridiculous (and insulting) to say that the only reason the GM interviewed Pep was to comply with the Rooney Rule. There are many other candidates for him to choose from. That was the point of my post.

You may not approve of Pep's accepting an interview. That's understandable. But the point remains that it is ridiculous (and insulting) to say that the only reason the GM interviewed Pep was to comply with the Rooney Rule. There are many other candidates for him to choose from. That was the point of my post.

I get your point NFLfan & I never disputed what you said. I apologize if my response to you created that false impression. The theme of my response centered around an outside owner waltzing in unannounced saying hey Chuck can I borrow Pep for a couple of hours & see if he would be a good fit to run my football operations for the next 4 years? 

Bosses hate surprises completely out of left field. That was my primary point. True, maybe I was a control freak there dictating who Pep can & can't talk to, but most bosses are not in the habit of letting you interview for other jobs while you are employed at another organization outside of the NFL as a profession correct? 

Yes, I know that's what makes the NFL unique. Just on general principle, I don't see any harm in waiting until a team has been officially eliminated from the Playoffs picture before they are interviewed by other franchises. I'm a stickler on this issue I realize, but it is what it is. Besides, a lot owners do mass interviews for HC/staff vacancies at the Combine in INDY anyway since everyone is under 1 roof.

I get your point NFLfan & I never disputed what you said. I apologize if my response to you created that false impression. The theme of my response centered around an outside owner waltzing in unannounced saying hey Chuck can I borrow Pep for a couple of hours & see if he would be a good fit to run my football operations for the next 4 years?

Bosses hate surprises completely out of left field. That was my primary point. True, maybe I was a control freak there dictating who Pep can & can't talk to, but most bosses are not in the habit of letting you interview for other jobs while you are employed at another organization outside of the NFL as a profession correct?

Yes, I know that's what makes the NFL unique. Just on general principle, I don't see any harm in waiting until a team has been officially eliminated from the Playoffs picture before they are interviewed by other franchises. I'm a stickler on this issue I realize, but it is what it is. Besides, a lot owners do mass interviews for HC/staff vacancies at the Combine in INDY anyway since everyone is under 1 roof.

I agree with you there. Actually, I was surprised to read that Pep had been interviewed for the head coaching position, as the Colts are still in the playoffs. I thought that individuals coaching in the playoffs were not allowed to be interviewed unless their teams had a bye. The NFL must have changed that policy.

Yeah. I am new here! I actually didn't even mean to put that in bold. I'm still trying to figure things out! Personally, I wanted Pep to stay all along. His play calling is very skeptical sometimes, but he doesn't have the right guys to work with for his system. That falls on Grigson. I just find it funny how quick minds can be changed.

I actually went back and bolded it when I gave my response, so it wasn't anything you did.  I was just trying to help you because it's best not to use terms that categorize everybody, people can get kinda touchy about that stuff around here.  

I agree that we still don't have the pieces necessary to fully open up Pep's playbook and have at it.  Unfortunately, those things just take time, and patience is a virtue that some don't have around here.  And as you already noticed they can be a fickle bunch around here sometimes. 

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it and carve out your own little niche here!

GO COLTS!!!!!

A nice post. I always understand where you are coming from in terms of allowing coordinators to better their economic situation financially down the road.

But, here is my counter to that argument: 1. You are currently on my payroll as the Colts owner & or HC administrator who hired you meaning you do what I say within reason. What's 1-2 more weeks? Nothing in the grand scheme of things in the longrun. 2. INDY is a top tier NFL franchise meaning we are a darn good club associated with winning. Employment opportunities in other cities won't be drying up anytime soon with our legacy & reputation of annual success. 3. Coordinators are paid to create winning formations for the team that cuts their check right now in the current season not future prospects or bosses 1 year later. 

Look, if another team makes advance preparation moves with me weeks before the Playoffs begin, I can play ball & schedule an interview with a coordinator on my staff pretty easy. Just don't crash the party, expect to be pampered, or be surprised when I firmly say no to your request. It's all about timing & advanced notification that's all I'm saying.  

First bold:  Correct that they are under your payroll, but they are not under your thumb, meaning they still have free will to do things.  And 1-2 more weeks could be the difference between you getting a HC job and not.  1-2 more weeks is giving somebody else an opportunity to come in and knock an interview out of the park, and now you have to wait until the next season comes around.  Who's to say that we will have an offense that will be as successful or productive next year?  I can't look into my crystal ball and see what the future hold.  So all the attention that Pep has garnered this year, might not be there next year....it's a good possiblity but some times you have to strike while the iron is hot.

Second bold: Besides Arians can you name me another Colts coordinator that has gone on to HC another team?  I'm having a hard time coming up with one.  Yes the Colts have a great history of winning as of late, but they haven't had a great history of turning DCs and OCs into HCs.

Third bold:  This still doesn't mean that Pep can't put together a winning game plan for this team and interview for a potential HC position.  Believe it or not, these guys do take some time away from football to have a wee bit of a life.  If he wants to interview in that wee bit of time, more power to him.

Last bold:  All of these interviews done with coordinators whose teams are still playing, have to be agreed to.  And I'm sure nobody just shows up at a Colts facility and says "Hey, stop what you're doing and let me borrow Pep for a few, I wanna see if he's gonna be our next HC."  They do plan and coordinate these interviews.  The Raiders contacted the Colts, the Colts said you have between this time and this time to make it happen, and the Raiders did.....no harm no foul.

It's been great talking to you about this though, don't know that we've had the pleasure very often.  I'm always on here, just don't comment a lot any more.