Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Did The Colts Become So Undisciplined

Smash Mouth

I am so tired of listening to Pagano say in pressers that the Colts still have "things to clean up".  I am amazed at how undisciplined the Colts have been this season.  You can't become elite in the NFL until you stop dropping passes, stop turning the ball over, and clean up the penalties.

The KC Chiefs have a higher percentage of dropped passes but the Colts lead the league`in the number of drops.  They have 40 drops in 657 targets.  

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-receiver-drops-percentage/2014/

The Colts are -5 in turnover differential and only the Eagles have more turnovers (36 vs 31) this season

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-turnover-differential-statistics/2014/

Last year the Colts averaged 4 penalties per game, leading the NFL and are 16th this season with over 6 per game.

For a team that won 11 regular season games and now a playoff game, there have been an awful lot of negative plays to overcome this season.    Have to do better in Denver or the season ends

Penalties are an interesting thing.  I think the Seahawks last year were one of the more penalized teams in the league and I believe the Ravens the year before were the most penalized team in the league.  It's weird, but more penalties seems to have some correlation with winning.  Perhaps it's the aggressiveness?  You play aggressive and you get called for it sometimes, but you gain more from it than you lose with the penalties?

Penalties are an interesting thing.  I think the Seahawks last year were one of the more penalized teams in the league and I believe the Ravens the year before were the most penalized team in the league.  It's weird, but more penalties seems to have some correlation with winning.  Perhaps it's the aggressiveness?  You play aggressive and you get called for it sometimes, but you gain more from it than you lose with the penalties?

Seahawks had a great D last year and could take many chances 

Especially since in the playoffs the refs tend to "let them play"

More holding, more PI, more everything is allowed to happen, which is actually a positive since we always play man coverage.

Shooting themselves in the foot has been something they've done all season.  

I'm not trying to make excuses, but this team does still have a lot of young players on the roster and, IMO, younger players tend to make more mistakes than their veteran teammates.

Some of the penalties I don't mind, the NFL's emphasis on illegal contact and defensive holding penalties alone probably gets us close to the 2 more penalties a game.  It's the ones like blocks in the back that tick me off the most.  If you can read the name on the back of the jersey you can't hit him anymore, pretty darn easy to follow if you ask me.

Let's face it, on just about every play there's holding somewhere.  On just about every pass there's some type of interference if you go strictly by the rule book.

Normally when the refs make a call it's right.  My complain is that they're sometimes arbitrary. 

I think you're right that when you're playing aggressive, it just means you're a little more obvious or constant and you're going to get called more.

To me, undisciplined is when it's 3rd and 4 and your D jumps offside, for example.

Injuries at the RB position has led to more fumbles. I also think that TY had a several drops yesterday because of not playing the last few weeks. Allen was off also, could be explained by his lack of playing the last few weeks. Then again all this could have nothing to do with anything.