Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Draft Post-Playoff Victory

With the win, we are now looking at the 27th pick if we lose and Carolina and Baltimore both lose.

I am hoping that we add a right guard in free agency. I will not be thrilled if we head into 2015 with Hugh Thornton starting at right guard.

1.)Shaq Thompson S Washington  6'2" 230 lbs

I love this guy, and I think he could become an elite safety. He has great size and athleticism. He would likely be a top tier running back if he devoted his focus solely to offense. He reminds me a little of Patrick Peterson in his elite athleticism and ability to produce on both sides of the ball. He would be a dramatic upgrade in our defensive backfield, and allow us to move on from the mistake that is Laron Landry. I would be interested in bringing Mike Davis back if possible. There are a number of mocks that have Thompson going early, but I have read that numerous scouts rate him as a 2nd to 3rd round pick.

2.) Owamagbe Odighizuwa DE/OLB UCLA 6'3" 270 lbs

A player whose value may rise dramatically in the post-season evaluation process. A player who could likely play the strong side outside linebacker and give us more pass rush pop while providing stout run defense. Werner is giving us nothing as a pass rusher. Walden is an average pass rusher whose strength is run defense. I am excited to see how Newsome looks next year. Odighizuwa offers an upgrade. I am not sure if he is viewed as an OLB in a 3-4, but many people did not view Werner as a fit either. The value is too great in the 2nd round to pass on Odighizuwa.

4.) D'Joun Smith CB Florida Atlantic 5'11" 190 lbs

I am throwing in a trade back from the third round into the early 4th and picking up a 5th rounder (similar to the Houston trade up last year to take Louis Nix). Darius Butler has struggled at times this season and is a free agent. Toler is a free agent after next season.

4.) Eric Rowe S Utah 6'1" 205 lbs

I think this draft could present an opportunity to drastically upgrade our defensive backfield. Adams is worth re-signing but he is not a long-term solution. Landry is a candidate to get cut, and Sergio Brown has been a solid back-up (and has had his moments), but he is a better special teams player than starting safety. Colt Anderson is not a long-term solution either. Rowe and Thompson could represent the future at safety for us. Even if we re-sign Adams, it gives Rowe a year to acclimate himself and provide depth.

5.) David Cobb RB Minnesota 5'11" 225 lbs

I love this guy, and I hope he lasts this long. He would be a nice upgrade in the backfield, and would provide some solid depth. I actually really like Zurlon Tipton as well. He reminds me of Arian Foster. I am anxious to see Tipton next season after a full offseason. It is great that he is getting some playoff experience. Cobb, Herron, and Tipton would be a great trio. We'll see if Ballard can give us anything. Yes, I am writing off Trent Richardson.

5.) Titus Davis WR Central Michigan 6'2" 190 lbs

Davis is an underrated receiver in a solid crop of wide receivers in the 2015 draft. Davis had a solid career at Central Michigan with 37 touchdown catches and over 3,700 receiving yards. I am guessing that Hakeem Nicks will not be back next year, and I hope Wayne comes back for one more year, although it appears injuries are beginning to take their toll. It will be interesting to see how Davis performs in the pre-draft process.

6.) Zach Vigil ILB Utah State 6'1" 240 lbs

Competition at inside linebacker. Not sure if we will re-sign Jerrell Freeman. I am not sure who else is available in free agency to sign. I would like to see what Andrew Jackson and Henouc Muamba have to offer. I was excited to see what Muamba might bring to the table this season. Hopefully a year of seasoning will help him next year.

6.) Shane McDermott OC Miami 6'4" 300lbs

All ACC first team center. I like how Khaled Holmes has looked at center the last couple games, but he has been injury prone. McDermott could come in and compete, and hopefully upgrade our depth at center and guard.

7.) Blaine Clausell OT Mississippi State 6'6" 320 lbs

I am interested in seeing how Ulrick John looks next season after missing the year with an injury. I would love to improve the depth of the offensive line.

Shaq Thompson could be a Kam Chancellor type in the NFL, as a hybrid defender. Reminds me of Dion Bailey, but way more athletic and a little bigger.

Also, I know everyone is looking for the next Kam Chancellor. I wouldn't bet on anyone being able to thrive in that role right away. But Thompson is a solid candidate.

If Shaq Thompson can play Safety at a high level in the NFL and is available where the Colts pick in the first round, I'd probably want him to be the pick.

It's fun to evaluate players, but at the same time perception of these players and the view of the needs of the team will change a lot over the course of the next few months.

Shaq Thompson could be a Kam Chancellor type in the NFL, as a hybrid defender. Reminds me of Dion Bailey, but way more athletic and a little bigger.

Also, I know everyone is looking for the next Kam Chancellor. I wouldn't bet on anyone being able to thrive in that role right away. But Thompson is a solid candidate.

I don't know how Seattle does it.....

But their dream backfield of a year ago.....

FS Earl Thomas            1st R

SS Kam Chancellor      3rdR

CB Richard Sherman    5thR

CB Brandon Browner    FA

That's a lot of mid and low round picks giving 1st/2nd round production!

I'm not wild about using a 1st on Shaq Thompson.    He's a special athlete and may someday be a great player at some position.

But he's never been great at any one position.    I think he's been good to very good at several. 

I don't know if he'll stay jumbo safety size or if he'll grow into an OLB whether the team that drafts him wants that or not?

I like him, but don't love him.    Guys like him scare me a bit.

CB Brandon Browner    FA

I'm not wild about using a 1st on Shaq Thompson.    He's a special athlete and may someday be a great player at some position.

But he's never been great at any one position.    I think he's been good to very good at several. 

I don't know if he'll stay jumbo safety size or if he'll grow into an OLB whether the team that drafts him wants that or not?

I agree. He's risky. He may just be a really good athlete, who is good at a lot of things, but not great at any 1 thing. And its fine to have players like that on offense (i.e. Dri Archer, Danny Woodhead, etc...) but you don't really want a guy like that on defense because he may never be an impact player at whatever position he plays. I don't think teams are ready to bet heavy on a "Defensive weapon".

CB Brandon Browner    FA

Yeah, I don't know about a first on Thompson, either. We'll see how things go in the scouting period, etc. I've seen boards and mocks that have him pretty high in the first round. 

As for the Seahawks, I think the key is that they get great pass rush. Makes life a lot easier on the secondary. Not that their players aren't really good, because they are. 

Yeah, I don't know about a first on Thompson, either. We'll see how things go in the scouting period, etc. I've seen boards and mocks that have him pretty high in the first round. 

As for the Seahawks, I think the key is that they get great pass rush. Makes life a lot easier on the secondary. Not that their players aren't really good, because they are. 

To be clear,  I think every board I've seen has Thompson projected in the first....   so you're not alone.

With the win, we are now looking at the 27th pick if we lose and Carolina and Baltimore both lose.

I am hoping that we add a right guard in free agency. I will not be thrilled if we head into 2015 with Hugh Thornton starting at right guard.

1.)Shaq Thompson S Washington  6'2" 230 lbs

I love this guy, and I think he could become an elite safety. He has great size and athleticism. He would likely be a top tier running back if he devoted his focus solely to offense. He reminds me a little of Patrick Peterson in his elite athleticism and ability to produce on both sides of the ball. He would be a dramatic upgrade in our defensive backfield, and allow us to move on from the mistake that is Laron Landry. I would be interested in bringing Mike Davis back if possible. There are a number of mocks that have Thompson going early, but I have read that numerous scouts rate him as a 2nd to 3rd round pick.

2.) Owamagbe Odighizuwa DE/OLB UCLA 6'3" 270 lbs

A player whose value may rise dramatically in the post-season evaluation process. A player who could likely play the strong side outside linebacker and give us more pass rush pop while providing stout run defense. Werner is giving us nothing as a pass rusher. Walden is an average pass rusher whose strength is run defense. I am excited to see how Newsome looks next year. Odighizuwa offers an upgrade. I am not sure if he is viewed as an OLB in a 3-4, but many people did not view Werner as a fit either. The value is too great in the 2nd round to pass on Odighizuwa.

4.) D'Joun Smith CB Florida Atlantic 5'11" 190 lbs

I am throwing in a trade back from the third round into the early 4th and picking up a 5th rounder (similar to the Houston trade up last year to take Louis Nix). Darius Butler has struggled at times this season and is a free agent. Toler is a free agent after next season.

4.) Eric Rowe S Utah 6'1" 205 lbs

I think this draft could present an opportunity to drastically upgrade our defensive backfield. Adams is worth re-signing but he is not a long-term solution. Landry is a candidate to get cut, and Sergio Brown has been a solid back-up (and has had his moments), but he is a better special teams player than starting safety. Colt Anderson is not a long-term solution either. Rowe and Thompson could represent the future at safety for us. Even if we re-sign Adams, it gives Rowe a year to acclimate himself and provide depth.

5.) David Cobb RB Minnesota 5'11" 225 lbs

I love this guy, and I hope he lasts this long. He would be a nice upgrade in the backfield, and would provide some solid depth. I actually really like Zurlon Tipton as well. He reminds me of Arian Foster. I am anxious to see Tipton next season after a full offseason. It is great that he is getting some playoff experience. Cobb, Herron, and Tipton would be a great trio. We'll see if Ballard can give us anything. Yes, I am writing off Trent Richardson.

5.) Titus Davis WR Central Michigan 6'2" 190 lbs

Davis is an underrated receiver in a solid crop of wide receivers in the 2015 draft. Davis had a solid career at Central Michigan with 37 touchdown catches and over 3,700 receiving yards. I am guessing that Hakeem Nicks will not be back next year, and I hope Wayne comes back for one more year, although it appears injuries are beginning to take their toll. It will be interesting to see how Davis performs in the pre-draft process.

6.) Zach Vigil ILB Utah State 6'1" 240 lbs

Competition at inside linebacker. Not sure if we will re-sign Jerrell Freeman. I am not sure who else is available in free agency to sign. I would like to see what Andrew Jackson and Henouc Muamba have to offer. I was excited to see what Muamba might bring to the table this season. Hopefully a year of seasoning will help him next year.

6.) Shane McDermott OC Miami 6'4" 300lbs

All ACC first team center. I like how Khaled Holmes has looked at center the last couple games, but he has been injury prone. McDermott could come in and compete, and hopefully upgrade our depth at center and guard.

7.) Blaine Clausell OT Mississippi State 6'6" 320 lbs

I am interested in seeing how Ulrick John looks next season after missing the year with an injury. I would love to improve the depth of the offensive line.

I don't think I would spend the 2nd on strong side outside linebacker; Walden and Werner are fine in that position,  If we go LB early it needs to be a pass rusher or ILB.

Draft a T and a G right off the bat and just get it done.        Worry about the D with the rest of the picks and FA...

Oh and grab another RB somewhere...      although Boom and Tippy didn't look bad yesterday...     TR would be a nice 3rd stringer as I think cutting him saves the team NO money.        So one more year may not be bad.  

BUT FIX THE OL.....or upgrade it ...     

Also I don't think those are the right safeties to choose. Thompson for reasons already discussed, and I don't know much about Rowe but I looked up tape on this guy Adrian Amos from Penn State, and the guy is a beast. Not sure why he isn't ranked higher, but if you want a late round steal, I'd take him. No safety's will go in round 1, but if they did you'd want Derron Smith.

Also I don't think those are the right safeties to choose. Thompson for reasons already discussed, and I don't know much about Rowe but I looked up tape on this guy Adrian Amos from Penn State, and the guy is a beast. Not sure why he isn't ranked higher, but if you want a late round steal, I'd take him. No safety's will go in round 1, but if they did you'd want Derron Smith.

Collins,  the Alabama kid,  will go in Round 1....

At this point,  I think he's the only one....  but that could change between now and the draft.

Collins,  the Alabama kid,  will go in Round 1....

At this point,  I think he's the only one....  but that could change between now and the draft.

Forgot about Collins. He shouldn't go in the first. He'll get drafted high because of the track record of the position and the prestige around Alabama. Pretty standard box safety, but that's what some teams want.

Forgot about Collins. He shouldn't go in the first. He'll get drafted high because of the track record of the position and the prestige around Alabama. Pretty standard box safety, but that's what some teams want.

I see no reason he shouldn't go in the first.    If you want to argue that he shouldn't go in the first half of the first round -- fine.

But I think your argument is less strong if you're saying he's not one of the top 32 players.    I think that argument is lacking.

I forget the name of the Alabama safety who went in the first round last year....   some here dismissed him as another creation of the Alabama defense and he's gone on to have a nice rookie season.

In most every year,  there's going to be at least one guy who's worthy of being a 1st round pick.   It appears for now Collins is that guy.

I see no reason he shouldn't go in the first.    If you want to argue that he shouldn't go in the first half of the first round -- fine.

But I think your argument is less strong if you're saying he's not one of the top 32 players.    I think that argument is lacking.

I forget the name of the Alabama safety who went in the first round last year....   some here dismissed him as another creation of the Alabama defense and he's gone on to have a nice rookie season.

In most every year,  there's going to be at least one guy who's worthy of being a 1st round pick.   It appears for now Collins is that guy.

Clinton Dix is the player you're thinking of. But I could counter that argument with Mark Barron who just got traded after being a 2012 1st round pick. I'm not saying write off all Alabama players, but a lot of them end up being over hyped.