Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Is Anthony Costanzo Playing?

oldunclemark

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because our local outlets have unfairly replaced Colts games with other Sunday matchups

(something about us being 0-12 :unsure: )

I have not seen the last two games...

Those of you who have,. I know its tough to tell but how is Anthony Costanzo playing...?

Pretty fair LT. Run blocking is very good. Still learning on pass blocking, but a definite upside from Johnson.

Kid has great natural ability. Gets better every game. He's a keeper.

With Reitz at LG, that's 650# pushing forward on run blocks, and both have quick feet.

With the two of them standing upright in pass blocking, that's a wall 6'7" high. Even Manning has to peek through that one.

Man, they're big boys....

Pretty fair LT. Run blocking is very good. Still learning on pass blocking, but a definite upside from Johnson.

With Reitz at LG, that's 650# pushing forward on run blocks, and both have quick feet.

With the two of them standing upright in pass blocking, that's a wall 6'7" high. Even Manning has to peek through that one.

BIG know how the other o-linemen are playing and who we might need to get an upgrade on? Have not been able to see every snap this year.

And I would think O-linemen always get better the 2nd year because they know what the physical demands are..

..so our 'problem' is on the right side and the rookie....from Villanova (on IR) is supposed to help there next year?

My personal favorite line-up with existing personell

Castonzo, Reitz, Saturday, (Diem), Ijalana(IR).

Left side will be solid, Right Tackle will be solid, But with Ijalana on IR, we must depend on Diem, Linkenbach, Plollack, Richard for right side. Take your pick....Adequate, buuuut......

And I would think O-linemen always get better the 2nd year because they know what the physical demands are..

..so our 'problem' is on the right side and the rookie....from Villanova (on IR) is supposed to help there next year?

Exactly...we cross-posted here.

Colstanzo has had some rookie moments to be sure, but I have been very happy with him. When you take into acount that he is a A) a rookie had his progress stopped in it's tracks when he got ingured and C) has played on a revolving door O line next to guys with even less experience with the team than him, much of the time, he has shown me a lot.

As BIGugly said, his pass blocking has been much better than advertised ( maybe we have just become accustomed to horrible run blocking) and his pass blocking, with the exception of his first game back from injury, has been good as well.

Exactly...we cross-posted here.

Thanks..

I think we're going to have Manning and a new rookie QB next year \\..and we'll still have Brown. Addai and Carter,,,

If Saturday does not retire (and if Manning's back, Jeff S. will be)..and all our receivers return..

I think its not at all unrealistic that we get back to the 24-28 points per game attack we had...

If Saturday retires..is Diem the heir apparent?

Thanks..

I think we're going to have Manning and a new rookie QB next year \\..and we'll still have Brown. Addai and Carter,,,

If Saturday does not retire (and if Manning's back, Jeff S. will be)..and all our receivers return..

I think its not at all unrealistic that we get back to the 24-28 points per game attack we had...

its pollack i think. i remember irsay saying something like that in a quote.

Thanks..

Interesting, never though about him at Center. Gettng a little long in the tooth, though, Might not get called as often for false start at Center. Actually I believe Pollack was drafted as a Center and is listed on depth chart behind Saturday. He sure as heck is way down my list as a guard.

How many games did Costanzo miss this year due to injury, and what exactly was the injury? Anyone know?

He has started and played in 8 games. He will be playing vs the Ravens this week. Has had full particicpation in practice so far.

Go to www.Colts.com and click on 'team', then pick 'roster', then pick 'Castonzo' for interesting read. Also at home page there is an interview with him about upcoming game.

I'm pretty impressed. He's had some bad plays that in one case, cost us the game, but he's been generally good. It seems to be a good pick and the thing with Castonzo is that he's only going to get smarter and more experienced. He could really use improvement on his footwork, but he's as strong as an ox.

Grade: B-

Interesting, never though about him at Center. Gettng a little long in the tooth, though, Might not get called as often for false start at Center. Actually I believe Pollack was drafted as a Center and is listed on depth chart behind Saturday. He sure as heck is way down my list as a guard.

he was a center at asu and was supposed to take over for saturday

Because Castonzo excells in run blocking, I think he would be much better suited to paly RT! His footwork needs improvement, his technique needs some improvement, I think he is more suited as a RT.. and I seem to be the only one on here who thinks that...Ijalana could play guard, he also excells in run blocking, and I think the Colts could get another tackle in the draft like a Mike Adams LT, but Ben at LG, Saturday C, draft Osemele to play RG, and Castonzo RT.. that is a young serious line! With Rietz as back up G, Pollack back up C, and if there was an injury, Castonzo or Ijalana could slide to any Tackle spot.. I think this is a much better idea than most give credit for! (Drafting a LT then G)

Because Castonzo excells in run blocking, I think he would be much better suited to paly RT! His footwork needs improvement, his technique needs some improvement, I think he is more suited as a RT.. and I seem to be the only one on here who thinks that...Ijalana could play guard, he also excells in run blocking, and I think the Colts could get another tackle in the draft like a Mike Adams LT, but Ben at LG, Saturday C, draft Osemele to play RG, and Castonzo RT.. that is a young serious line! With Rietz as back up G, Pollack back up C, and if there was an injury, Castonzo or Ijalana could slide to any Tackle spot.. I think this is a much better idea than most give credit for! (Drafting a LT then G)

Pretty good idea. I'd have to try Ben at the LT spot in my opinion. However the situation with this team works itself out, I know we'll be fine. Looking forward to what next year has to offer.

Pretty good idea. I'd have to try Ben at the LT spot in my opinion. However the situation with this team works itself out, I know we'll be fine. Looking forward to what next year has to offer.

I also thought Ben Ijalana played pretty darn well despite being thrown in there against the steelers. I do agree Castonzo is pretty good at run blocking and i think he could be moved to RT and Ijalana coud possible be LT. He did play that position at villanova

I also thought Ben Ijalana played pretty darn well despite being thrown in there against the steelers. I do agree Castonzo is pretty good at run blocking and i think he could be moved to RT and Ijalana coud possible be LT. He did play that position at villanova

He was thrown in vs. the Bucs and did play well.

We aren't going to move Castonzo why would we move our first round pick who is a LT to RT for our secound round pick? On top of that we would then pretty much be looking to a rookie (Ijalana only got like half a game of action) to once again protect the blindside of either our new rookie QB or our older QB coming off major neck surgery.

If Castonzo was going to be a RT we would have started him at RT since Link seems to do better at LT anyways. Despite what some think it's not always easy to change from LT to RT and Castonzo has had most of the year to learn the LT spot. He was drafted to be our LT for years to come not be moved to RT. I don't know why people love the idea of moving him around so much.

I think before he got IR'ed, Ben played better at the LT spot. We need guards and not just one.

Hard to say it's really hard to judge a guy off of what was about a half of football and was just thrown out there and the other team hadn't prepared for him.

WIth that said you are dead on in your last point anyway you do the math after this year we are probably a player short on the line.

Castonzo and Reitz look like they have the left side locked down.

Pollack will probably take over at Center.

Then hopefully a healthy Ijalana takes over at RT with Link being a fill in if needed(not a great player but has proven he can be a stop gap guy)

That leaves a hole at Right guard but that could be filed by either resigning Diem to play it or resigning Saturday and putting Pollack in at right guard. Either way though we stil need to draft another guard because Saturday or Diem would be a stop gap at best while we develop another rookie.

He was thrown in vs. the Bucs and did play well.

We aren't going to move Castonzo why would we move our first round pick who is a LT to RT for our secound round pick? On top of that we would then pretty much be looking to a rookie (Ijalana only got like half a game of action) to once again protect the blindside of either our new rookie QB or our older QB coming off major neck surgery.

If Castonzo was going to be a RT we would have started him at RT since Link seems to do better at LT anyways. Despite what some think it's not always easy to change from LT to RT and Castonzo has had most of the year to learn the LT spot. He was drafted to be our LT for years to come not be moved to RT. I don't know why people love the idea of moving him around so much.

Im not in love with the idea. And yeah sorry it was the bucs not steelers :P And im just saying what i see. he seems to be better at run blocking and ijalana played really well at LT in his limited time.

Terribly vs the Ravens.

He's had a couple of bad plays where he gave up a sack and gave up a hold but you know what that's going to happen for a rookie going up against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

He's in school no question but you know what rookies have to learn and this is how they do it.

Suggs schooled him..

As to be expected.

This is the sorta thing he needs to learn and he will. I watched Glenn almost get Jim Harbaugh killed his rookie year and I think that worked out just fine for Peyton Manning though. He's going to learn. I only wish Ijalana hadn't gotten hurt so they could both out there with Reitz all learning as I think they are the three guys we are going to build around for the future.

Castonzo has trouble with speed rushers, they get around him pretty easily. He will need to improve in that area before Manning gets back.

This was the scouting report on Castonzo coming out of College. Fast DE's get around him . The problem is that I think he actually has decent technique and footwork but, he's just slow. This will probably continue to be a problem for him because you can't teach speed.