Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bengals' Hue Jackson gets it, give Herron the bulk of carries just like Jeremy Hill

chad72

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000442123/article/gio-bernard-says-jeremy-hill-will-start-for-bengals

Key excerpts:

"I'm used to having one guy kind of dominate some carries because in order for backs to be really good, they've got to get lathered up to play," Jackson said

Since Bernard returned to the lineup three games ago, he and Hill have had a nearly even split (33 and 39 carries, respectively). However, they've averaged just 3.9 yards per carry during that stretch.

This alternating of series has got to stop. Let Herron run with it. Ride the hot hand and do not force feed carries.

a starting rb now-a-days is a oxymoron. theres always someone that takes carries from the starter

True. But in order to see how an RB does, he needs at least a couple of series to show us what he can do. The alternating stuff does not give any RB rhythm.

I'd be okay with that structure if Boom got all those carries.  Problem is can Boom last through all of that without putting the ball on the turf multiple times. Plus Hue Jackson doesn't have the dilemma we have with a high first round pick who is not producing.  Kind of hard to just throw in the towel and send him to the bench for his back up.  The amt invested almost forces them to give him some kind of considerable playing time. 

I'd be okay with that structure if Boom got all those carries. Problem is can Boom last through all of that without putting the ball on the turf multiple times. Plus Hue Jackson doesn't have the dilemma we have with a high first round pick who is not producing. Kind of hard to just throw in the towel and send him to the bench for his back up. The amt invested almost forces them to give him some kind of considerable playing time.

We did not invest a high first rounder in Richardson.

The backs don't alternate series. The reason Boom hasn't been getting the 20+ touches people seem to want is because we hardly run 20 run plays lately. Between being pass heavy and having some turnovers that cut drives short, there aren't a lot of chances to run the ball.

Yes, Boom is in a timeshare, but so is almost every back in the NFL. It's false, though, that our backs rotate every other series.

Comparing J Hill to Boom is silly...      Totally different backs...  

But the idea I do agree with...       Cincy has GB and Hill..        Boom is more like GB than Hill.  

Hill is a bull...    Trent is NO Where near Hill's level..   He is just not.  

BUT Boom is..     very much like GB.      ...     He just cannot carry the ball 20+ times a game.    Too small.

This is where I would LOVE to see Tipton get a crack at the "bright lights" ...      but this staff won't do it..     they will go down trying to save face....

Comparing J Hill to Boom is silly... Totally different backs...

But the idea I do agree with... Cincy has GB and Hill.. Boom is more like GB than Hill.

Hill is a bull... Trent is NO Where near Hill's level.. He is just not.

BUT Boom is.. very much like GB. ... He just cannot carry the ball 20+ times a game. Too small.

This is where I would LOVE to see Tipton get a crack at the "bright lights" ... but this staff won't do it.. they will go down trying to save face....

lmao why do people keep saying this? In what world is 5'11" 215 lbs small for a RB? That's the same size as AP, Demarco Murray, and Lesean McCoy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000442123/article/gio-bernard-says-jeremy-hill-will-start-for-bengals

Key excerpts:

"I'm used to having one guy kind of dominate some carries because in order for backs to be really good, they've got to get lathered up to play," Jackson said

Since Bernard returned to the lineup three games ago, he and Hill have had a nearly even split (33 and 39 carries, respectively). However, they've averaged just 3.9 yards per carry during that stretch.

This alternating of series has got to stop. Let Herron run with it. Ride the hot hand and do not force feed carries.

Alternating makes no difference because of the poor O-Line play. Till that is fixed the Colts will not have a good running back.

We did not invest a high first rounder in Richardson.

He was an original high first rounder of the Browns and we gave up a low first rounder to get him.   It's obvious he will get more priority than Herron.  Can't just sit him on the bench and throw your hands up.

He was an original high first rounder of the Browns and we gave up a low first rounder to get him. It's obvious he will get more priority than Herron. Can't just sit him on the bench and throw your hands up.

You can and with all the evidence the Colts have of his poor play, they should.

Alternating makes no difference because of the poor O-Line play. Till that is fixed the Colts will not have a good running back.

Bradshaw, Ballard, Brown, and now Boom have all averaged well over 4 yards a carry behind our poor O-line. At some point the excuses need to stop for Richardson.

Bradshaw, Ballard, Brown, and now Boom have all averaged well over 4 yards a carry behind our poor O-line. At some point the excuses need to stop for Richardson.

Where did I mention TRich? The average per carry is not the bottom line. How many yards running do the Colts average per game? Bradshaw made a living out of catching TD passes. Ballard had what? 3 or 4 TDs a year rushing? The offensive line has been very poor for a long time as far as run blocking. Yes per carry might be what you determine on what a RB does but when the opposing defenses decide to stop the run they do. The Colts have been on average at the bottom of the league as far as total running yards.

Where did I mention TRich? The average per carry is not the bottom line. How many yards running do the Colts average per game? Bradshaw made a living out of catching TD passes. Ballard had what? 3 or 4 TDs a year rushing? The offensive line has been very poor for a long time as far as run blocking. Yes per carry might be what you determine on what a RB does but when the opposing defenses decide to stop the run they do. The Colts have been on average at the bottom of the league as far as total running yards.

You said no back can be good behind this line and that is wrong. Period. It sounds like an excuse people often use to defend Trent's poor play.

These guys can be much more effective behind better lines for sure but we have had good RB play.

You said no back can be good behind this line and that is wrong. Period. It sounds like an excuse people often use to defend Trent's poor play.

If you look at where the Colts are rated, they have been poor. Just because a RB might average 3 or more yards per carry does not mean the Colts are a good running unit. If you think the Colts O-line is good enough that's fine but just because you feel that way does not make it true. Not only is the Colts O-line very poor at run blocking they are also very poor at protecting Luck. The teams who advance deep into the playoffs are the ones who control the line of scrimmage. Both the Colts offensive and defensive lines needs much improvement. That is the difference in making the playoffs and winning playoff games. If the Colts should get what some consider an elite RB they would still struggle with this line. Stats are fine but they are not the whole story.

If you look at where the Colts are rated, they have been poor. Just because a RB might average 3 or more yards per carry does not mean the Colts are a good running unit. If you think the Colts O-line is good enough that's fine but just because you feel that way does not make it true. Not only is the Colts O-line very poor at run blocking they are also very poor at protecting Luck. The teams who advance deep into the playoffs are the ones who control the line of scrimmage. Both the Colts offensive and defensive lines needs much improvement. That is the difference in making the playoffs and winning playoff games. If the Colts should get what some consider an elite RB they would still struggle with this line. Stats are fine but they are not the whole story.

First off, I never said the oline play was good quite the opposite. I just reject your statement that we can't have a good back with this line. And the defensive line is irrelevant to this conversation.

You can thank Trent Richardson's poor play and Pep giving up on the run way too early to us constantly being at the body of the league statistically. We have had good RB play, despite the poor run blocking, but the coaches are insistent on sticking with TR who helps kill any momentum we may have gained. That's why the point of this thread is to stick with Boom, who has been much better for the offense, and let him get some momentum going.

First off, I never said the oline play was good quite the opposite. I just reject your statement that we can't have a good back with this line. And the defensive line is irrelevant to this conversation.

You can thank Trent Richardson's poor play and Pep giving up on the run way too early to us constantly being at the body of the league statistically. We have had good RB play, despite the poor run blocking, but the coaches are insistent on sticking with TR who helps kill any momentum we may have gained. That's why the point of this thread is to stick with Boom, who has been much better for the offense, and let him get some momentum going.

The reason that Pep gives up on the run is because of the poor performance of the line. The few good runs that the Colts do have is because the defenses are playing the pass. I do agree that Boom needs more work but what you don't seem to grasp is the lack of run blocking is the reason the Colts will not be a running team. Till the offensive line gets fixed it's all on Lucks back. Pep can't snap his fingers and make these offensive linemen better. It's all a chain reaction.

The reason that Pep gives up on the run is because of the poor performance of the line. The few good runs that the Colts do have is because the defenses are playing the pass. I do agree that Boom needs more work but what you don't seem to grasp is the lack of run blocking is the reason the Colts will not be a running team. Till the offensive line gets fixed it's all on Lucks back. Pep can't snap his fingers and make these offensive linemen better. It's all a chain reaction.

Pep has stopped running in games we have been running quite well, multiple times. Last week vs the Browns is a perfect example of it. He gave up on the run almost immediately and even Trent was running it well against them.

I am very aware that poor run blocking is the biggest issue with our run game, I've said so in every post. You seem to keep missing that, but again, the point of my response to you was that you said "we won't have a good RB with this oline". That's wrong, we've had good RBs who have run well when given the chance to run. Now if you were to say "Trent Richardson will never be a good RB with this oline" then I'd agree.

Our biggest priority offensively is the offensive line, no doubt about it and I've been saying it along with everyone else for years, but I reject the notion that we "can't have a good RB with this line". That is a Trent Richardson defense mechanism that is not true.

Pep has stopped running in games we have been running quite well, multiple times. Last week vs the Browns is a perfect example of it. He gave up on the run almost immediately and even Trent was running it well against them.

I am very aware that poor run blocking is the biggest issue with our run game, I've said so in every post. You seem to keep missing that, but again, the point of my response to you was that you said "we won't have a good RB with this oline". That's wrong, we've had good RBs who have run well when given the chance to run. Now if you were to say "Trent Richardson will never be a good RB with this oline" then I'd agree.

Our biggest priority offensively is the offensive line, no doubt about it and I've been saying it along with everyone else for years, but I reject the notion that we "can't have a good RB with this line". That is a Trent Richardson defense mechanism that is not true.

Since the only reason you reject my comment is that I am not bashing TRich then it is what it is. TRich is not as bad as all that. He is not an expensive player to have on the team. He blocks very well and catches the ball out of the backfield also very well. If any complaint can be made it is that he is not being used to his strengths. I guess one of the reason we stopped running the ball is we were down 21-7 in the 2nd half.

Since the only reason you reject my comment is that I am not bashing TRich then it is what it is. TRich is not as bad as all that. He is not an expensive player to have on the team. He blocks very well and catches the ball out of the backfield also very well. If any complaint can be made it is that he is not being used to his strengths. I guess one of the reason we stopped running the ball is we were down 21-7 in the 2nd half.

We refused to run the ball throughout the first half as well, while it was a close game and the passing game was struggling mightily.

And by the way, a lot more complaints can be made about Richardson than "he's not being used right". I'd agree this is a terrible system fit for him but I don't think there's a system in which a slow footed RB like himself would have much success in. He's not the same RB I watched in college and I loved him at Alabama. I remember him spelling Ingram in his Freshman year, while Ingram was running for his heisman, and I said at that time that he already looked better than Ingram. Hard to believe how bad it's become.

We refused to run the ball throughout the first half as well, while it was a close game and the passing game was struggling mightily.

Refused to run the ball in the 1st. half? Out of the 56 yards ran by the running backs 30 of those yards were in the 1st. half. Just about even. Luck had 5 rushes for 37 yards. The Browns defense was rated at #13 and it showed.

Refused to run the ball in the 1st. half? Out of the 56 yards ran by the running backs 30 of those yards were in the 1st. half. Just about even. Luck had 5 rushes for 37 yards. The Browns defense was rated at #13 and it showed.

5 designed rushes out of 30 offensive plays in the first half, 2 of the rushes were the first 2 offensive plays of the game. Non designed Luck scrambles are irrelevant.

All this while our passing game was awful and Luck was getting killed.

5 designed rushes out of 30 offensive plays in the first half, 2 of the rushes were the first 2 offensive plays of the game. Non designed Luck scrambles are irrelevant.

All this while our passing game was awful and Luck was getting killed.

After watching a few replays it seems that the Browns were stacking the line of scrimmage. Colts running backs were attempting to block. I understand where you are coming from but after the first quarter the score dictated what the Colts were doing.

After watching a few replays it seems that the Browns were stacking the line of scrimmage. Colts running backs were attempting to block. I understand where you are coming from but after the first quarter the score dictated what the Colts were doing.

The score didn't dictate anything, It was 14-7 at the start of the 4th Quarter,

Key excerpts:

Anyway we can sign him? Or trade for him?

Hue Jackson, come on down!!! :cheer:

The reason we don't run the ball is because the staff probably wants Richardson to get the bulk of carries, but as history has shown that's just a waste of a down. All the teams who properly run the ball have a RB who can get it done. Look at Denver. They were pass heavy, but they've been running it more because of Anderson.

So don't give me the old "we don't run the ball because the line is bad" excuse. The truth is Richardson is just terrible. Bad line or not, he's not good. But the staff doesn't have the ____ to admit they made a mistake and throw the towel in on him.

The score didn't dictate anything, It was 14-7 at the start of the 4th Quarter,

I fully agree with this. The score didn't dictate anything. In fact, we had several opportunities to run the ball and instead opted to pass. Here's an example:

Second quarter: score 14-7 Colts lead, and have an opportunity to break away. Colts have the ball at the 50-yard line.

1st and 10: Run- gained 6 yards

2nd and 4: pass - incomplete

3rd and 4: pass - incomplete

4th down: punt

We had 2 opportunities to run and keep the drive alive. These are running situations for most teams, except for the Colts. It's these types of decisions that have me worried. We simply did not exert our will on the Texans when in the 4th quarter, we showed that we were more than capable.