Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Its Bronoco overreaction week again

oldunclemark

Denver has lost 11 games in 2 1/2 seasons...They have won 35

But they lost LAST week. So they need to be REALLY, REALLY WORRIED.

So, the 'end of the run', 'they've been exposed' 'Peyton is done' papers are on the street.

Green Bay and New England lost games early..now they are 'unstoppable'

Denver loses and now 'its just like the Super Bowl'

To be fair, the patriots do get some of this. Some of the 'one loss trumps five wins' comments.

Probably because Belichik is such a crabby old hoodie.

But why do so many think that Denver should win every single game or 'THEY'RE IN TROUBLE!!!'

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Peyton has shown an ability to win on the road lately, it would be different.

Road wins vs Jets and Raiders, losses to Seahawks, Patriots and Rams to go 2-3 on the road and yep, it is plenty of reason for Broncos to be worried, IMO. There is a fundamental O-line cohesion issue for the first time in the Peyton Broncos era, IMO. They are not going to stop many good teams with that Jack Del Rio 3rd-and-long-conversions-welcome defense either.

Besides, going on the road counted out for an AFCCG may not be a bad thing for the Broncos anyway. It depends on how they use it as a "us vs the world" thing. Odds are, however, it is very hard to win an AFCCG at Foxboro. Ravens miraculously did it and rode it to a SB win in 2012.

Long season, no matter what. We were rooting for Dungy's and Ron Meeks' heads after the 2006 regular season. The only difference was, the Colts had the tie-breaker vs the Patriots that year and the equity of a 9-0 start, big difference for the AFCCG.

Mark, Denver has lost 2 of their last 3 I think and have not looked so hot. They have looked tired and stale IMO. Even vs. Oakland Peyton started out with a few interceptions.

Nobody is saying they can't make a run later......relax. If they are at home they may be fine. On the road they may have some issues though. Peyton likes to be comfortable.

But, if you want to see overreaction it happens with EVERY fanbase after a loss not just with Denver. The thing is when you are deemed the best like Manning often is you do expect more then 7 points on the road in St. Louis and you expect more then what we have seen from him in New England.

It's overreaction Monday for sure, but Denver is growing tired of Foxball.

Current and former players are growing tired of the coaching staff. Mark Jackson, Nick Fergusson, and Brian Dawkins were on twitter yesterday during the game and were upset with Fox and Del Rio.

Even this:

https://twitter.com/PetersenWill/status/534063187889377280

You know what John Fox said about yesterday's game? Field goal range was 33 yards, 33 YARDS! IN A DOME! I know McManus is struggling, puuting it lightly, but he wouldn't kick a field goal that wasn't 33 yards or in, in a dome.

EDIT: Mod do the tweet thing, I don't know how.

So, the 'end of the run', 'they've been exposed' 'Peyton is done' papers are on the street.

To be fair, the patriots do get some of this. Some of the 'one loss trumps five wins' comments.

But why do so many think that Denver should win every single game or 'THEY'RE IN TROUBLE!!!'

I think it is more how they have looked in their last couple of losses. Shredded by NE and then only 7 points against the 3-6 Rams the lowest point total since Manning came to Denver. And then of course the injuries as well.

I wouldn't find it too bad honestly, what I love about the Rams is their tendency to do this. The year they went 2-14, one of their wins was against NO (when they were good). They always play good teams well, and beat them a lot. (Us last year for example) but then lose all their other games, making them middle of the road. It is just what the Rams do. And they don't have to worry about the Rams in the playoffs. 

If Peyton has shown an ability to win on the road lately, it would be different.

Road wins vs Jets and Raiders, losses to Seahawks, Patriots and Rams to go 2-3 on the road and yep, it is plenty of reason for Broncos to be worried, IMO. There is a fundamental O-line cohesion issue for the first time in the Peyton Broncos era, IMO. They are not going to stop many good teams with that Jack Del Rio 3rd-and-long-conversions-welcome defense either.

Besides, going on the road counted out for an AFCCG may not be a bad thing for the Broncos anyway. It depends on how they use it as a "us vs the world" thing. Odds are, however, it is very hard to win an AFCCG at Foxboro. Ravens miraculously did it and rode it to a SB win in 2012.

Long season, no matter what. We were rooting for Dungy's and Ron Meeks' heads after the 2006 regular season. The only difference was, the Colts had the tie-breaker vs the Patriots that year and the equity of a 9-0 start, big difference for the AFCCG.

I don't think it has anything to do with Peyton it's just the Broncos in general . I don't know what it is but it seems like since his arival 2 years ago the Broncos always played their worst games on the road against winning teams and lost . 2012 they looked bad vs the Falcons , Pats , Houston @ home and although the beat the Bengals they struggled there a bit . 2013 struggled with the Colts on the road , gave the game away to NE, struggled @ KC for a little and this season they Struggled @ Seattle , NE and against a below .500 rams team . Denver is just soft against tougher opponents I hate to say it .

But, if you want to see overreaction it happens with EVERY fanbase after a loss not just with Denver. The thing is when you are deemed the best like Manning often is you do expect more then 7 points on the road in St. Louis and you expect more then what we have seen from him in New England.

Saints fans are even worse....we need a boogie man every time we lose cause no one wants to admit that Payton and Brees are over their heads thinking they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I wouldn't find it too bad honestly, what I love about the Rams is their tendency to do this. The year they went 2-14, one of their wins was against NO (when they were good). They always play good teams well, and beat them a lot. (Us last year for example) but then lose all their other games, making them middle of the road. It is just what the Rams do. And they don't have to worry about the Rams in the playoffs. 

Historically, the Saints and Rams still play one another like it is divisional (they used to be both be in the NFC West).

The Rams are the one team I'd argue should've beat us in 2009, the game came down to the last play at the red zone. In 2008, the winless Rams got one of their 2 wins against us, and same again in 2011, and last year they beat us into the ground.

I hate playing them, but Jeff Fisher is undefeated vs Sean Payton, and Gregg Williams knows how to mess with Manning, he did it in the Super Bowl. Bounty boogie man or not, he managed to get a pick 6 out of him. 

I think Denver peaked too early.

They peaked early in the season when Peyton got his record and they were blowing teams out and running the scores up on them.

That New England game changed this team. They are not the same anymore, they're not invincible.

I don't like John Fox for obvious reasons (ask Panthers fans about him) but I don't think he's the problem. The 2010 Colts had similar problems after losing the Super Bowls. Teams caught up with them.

The league is catching up with the one dimensional pass happy offenses. Denver has no run game, and this is an obvious big problem for them where last year Moreno played his butt off. You throw the ball 53 times yesterday, how do you expect to win with that?

I'm not just ragging on Denver, look at Pittsburgh and New Orleans. The Saints run that same pathetic one dimensional offense every Sunday with Brees throwing 40-50 passes, but in their case, it's even worse cause we do have a run game yet refuse to run it. Everyone thought Pittsburgh looked unstoppable with Big Ben throwing 6 TD's against broken secondaries, all that changed against the Jets.

I'm still on the belief that you aren't winning anything on offense if you have no run game. Of these 3 loses, Denver has failed to run it.

I think it is more how they have looked in their last couple of losses. Shredded by NE and then only 7 points against the 3-6 Rams the lowest point total since Manning came to Denver. And then of course the injuries as well.

But MJD....while you are correct about the injuries-plus-loss scenario this time, the Denver (and to seom extent NE) loss-means-doom thing has been around a couple of years...

Do people have as much emotionally invested in Denver and NE losing than they do in their favorite teams fate? Amd why?

But MJD....while you are correct about the injuries-plus-loss scenario this time, the Denver (and to seom extent NE) loss-means-doom thing has been around a couple of years...

Do people have as much emotionally invested in Denver and NE losing than they do in their favorite teams fate? Amd why?

Who said anything about doom? I still expect Denver to win the west and get the second bye. But they came this season as the best team in the AFC. They are not that anymore.

Who said anything about doom? I still expect Denver to win the west and get the second bye. But they came this season as the best team in the AFC. They are not that anymore.

You must be new here.

That was the original point of the post.

Many have said the Broncos are done. As they did after the seattle loss and the NE loss.

The Pats were written off as yesterdays news in September.

ESPN, NFL Net..all do segments 'Are the Pats done' Are the Bronocs in trouble???

Denver has lost 11 games in 2 1/2 years... NEhas lost 8 in two yheras.

Why does everybody project more int their losses than they do a loss by the Packers or Baltimore?

Overreaction to a bunch of overreactions, is that safe to summarize this thread? :)

Maybe....but its evidenced on this message board...Denver and NE

Why is every loss a telling projected crisis to non Bronoco fans..or the end of the line for Tom Brady

When Green Bay loses...most outside Green Bay assume they'll rebound.

Wishful thinking or something more?

Maybe....but its evidenced on this message board...Denver and NE

Why is every loss a telling projected crisis to non Bronoco fans..or the end of the line for Tom Brady

When Green Bay loses...most outside Green Bay assume they'll rebound.

Wishful thinking or something more?

By default, people on this forum are more invested in the AFC, naturally and it is a natural extrapolation of that sentiment to want to see Colts foes in the AFC fail more. Denver and NE take the cake, the rest would be flavors of the month :).

They peaked early in the season when Peyton got his record and they were blowing teams out and running the scores up on them.

That New England game changed this team. They are not the same anymore, they're not invincible.

I don't like John Fox for obvious reasons (ask Panthers fans about him) but I don't think he's the problem. The 2010 Colts had similar problems after losing the Super Bowls. Teams caught up with them.

The league is catching up with the one dimensional pass happy offenses. Denver has no run game, and this is an obvious big problem for them where last year Moreno played his butt off. You throw the ball 53 times yesterday, how do you expect to win with that?

I'm not just ragging on Denver, look at Pittsburgh and New Orleans. The Saints run that same pathetic one dimensional offense every Sunday with Brees throwing 40-50 passes, but in their case, it's even worse cause we do have a run game yet refuse to run it. Everyone thought Pittsburgh looked unstoppable with Big Ben throwing 6 TD's against broken secondaries, all that changed against the Jets.

I'm still on the belief that you aren't winning anything on offense if you have no run game. Of these 3 loses, Denver has failed to run it.

I don't think they peaked to early because outside of the Niner and Arizona games they haven't looked all that dominant offensively like they did a year ago . They Colts almost came back and won , KC game was close , they lost in Seattle , Struggled vs the Jets & Oak , and got destroyed by the Pats and Rams.

Bogie..that's something that's said often..

What's never said is that contending teams cant win if they cant pass.

Why the difference.? Where does that come from?

The difference from my perspective is based off history.

Marino had a number of playoff games where he threw 300-400 yards, yet no run game and they always lost these games.

Balance is effective in the end.

The Saints are a great example. We have a run game, yet we hate running it since that takes away from Brees padding his stats. Of our 6 loses, 4 of them were by 3 points or less, and in those 4 games, they gave up on the run when it was working.

I'm not really a fan of the super passing offenses anymore. When it works, everyone is happy, but when it don't work, it can look ugly.

Marino had a number of playoff games where he threw 300-400 yards, yet no run game and they always lost these games.

The Saints are a great example. We have a run game, yet we hate running it since that takes away from Brees padding his stats. Of our 6 loses, 4 of them were by 3 points or less, and in those 4 games, they gave up on the run when it was working.

I'm not really a fan of the super passing offenses anymore. When it works, everyone is happy, but when it don't work, it can look ugly.

Bogie. I have always sensed a bias against the pass...Its timeless. It goes back to the beginning of the sport.

When passing teams win its quickly pointed out that they ran the ball, too.

But when NE...wins or Pittsburgh wins they are painted as running teams even when pass playes key their titles.

The top teams have the top QBs and throw the ball well. Seattle a running team right? 26 TD passes during the regular season.

the theory doesnt always hold up.

Folks actually root for passing teams to fail based on an old school mindset.

The NFL has promoted the "super passing offenses", has changed the rules and the enforcement of rules to favor "super passing offenses". They are cheapening the game for a bunch of adult adolescents who are obsessed with fantasy football.

I agree with you on peaking early. 

However, I disagree with your assessment of the problem.  I think the problem is with the offensive line.  Clady is hurt for one but beyond that the whole thing has gotten unsettled in reaction to the New England game.  I think they completely overreacted to a single bad game.  They started moving guys around, benching guys, inserting backups.  The whole thing looks desperate and unnecessary.  Their play on Sunday was very tentative and it is obvious that Manning doesn't have much faith in them.   On Sunday he was throwing the ball with a much higher trajectory so that it would not be batted down.

They ran very well at times before they started juggling the offensive line.  They should have left it alone saying "OK, The Patriots got the better of us today.".  Now they are having difficulty getting off the line as a unit.

Right now they are a team in a slump and they have some injury problems and this flailing about is not helpful.

You must be new here.

That was the original point of the post.

Many have said the Broncos are done. As they did after the seattle loss and the NE loss.

The Pats were written off as yesterdays news in September.

ESPN, NFL Net..all do segments 'Are the Pats done' Are the Bronocs in trouble???

Denver has lost 11 games in 2 1/2 years... NEhas lost 8 in two yheras.

Why does everybody project more int their losses than they do a loss by the Packers or Baltimore?

Yes, I am new. :)

I get what you are saying. I think because they do win so much that when they struggle and struggle for them is losing two games in 3 or 4 weeks you wonder what is going on. Part of it is the media trying to drum up the end of their careers too. First it was Brady in decline and now all of a sudden Manning's arm looks shot again.

The NFL has promoted the "super passing offenses", has changed the rules and the enforcement of rules to favor "super passing offenses". They are cheapening the game for a bunch of adult adolescents who are obsessed with fantasy football.

Yep! It's sad but true. i'd take seeing a league full of prominent backs any day over super pass heavy.

Running it still counts in a way though. NO QB that has ever lead the passing yardage stats has ever won the SB of that season. I don't see that changing this season.

Not big on fantasy football. Nothing against people that play it but I get more fun out of stat padding Tecmo Super Bowl games, just my preference. Given my OCD, I'd never handle fantasy leagues.

I agree with you on peaking early. 

However, I disagree with your assessment of the problem.  I think the problem is with the offensive line.  Clady is hurt for one but beyond that the whole thing has gotten unsettled in reaction to the New England game.  I think they completely overreacted to a single bad game.  They started moving guys around, benching guys, inserting backups.  The whole thing looks desperate and unnecessary.  Their play on Sunday was very tentative and it is obvious that Manning doesn't have much faith in them.   On Sunday he was throwing the ball with a much higher trajectory so that it would not be batted down.

Denver is ranked 27th in rushing offense in the league, and average only 3.7 yards per carry.

I don't see where they run it very well at all. Last year they had a 1,000 yard rusher with Moreno, and that was when they were throwing it 40-50 times a game. This year, he's gone and they absolutely hate running the ball.

Yep! It's sad but true. i'd take seeing a league full of prominent backs any day over super pass heavy.

Running it still counts in a way though. NO QB that has ever lead the passing yardage stats has ever won the SB of that season. I don't see that changing this season.

Not big on fantasy football. Nothing against people that play it but I get more fun out of stat padding Tecmo Super Bowl games, just my preference. Given my OCD, I'd never handle fantasy leagues.

Denver is ranked 27th in rushing offense in the league, and average only 3.7 yards per carry.

I don't see where they run it very well at all. Last year they had a 1,000 yard rusher with Moreno, and that was when they were throwing it 40-50 times a game. This year, he's gone and they absolutely hate running the ball.

One of their biggest mistakes was letting Moreno go ... and thinking Ball would be his replacement.

Good points bringing up fantasy football. Are too many fans just peeved over their fav players not producing in turn losing in their FFLs? When a fantasy draft happens it seems like the so called big 5 QBs are taken in the 1st. round. The following rounds those who took QBs in the 1st round are scratching for better RBs and WRs the rest of the draft. The RB in FFL is not what it used to be because there are very few teams that use just one RB. This year a couple of defenses were drafted way early (Seattle and Carolina) and both have been bad this year. So you drafted a big name QB and a high scoring defense and now you cant win a FFL game? Interesting.

Moreno is on injured reserve and has been on and off of the injury report all year.

Maybe they knew he was breaking down and wasn't worth the investment.

How is being on IR breaking down? Injuries happen all the time. The guy was a bull for them last year. Don't understand why you would not pony up and pay him.

I didn't say they were a great rushing team.  I said they ran well at times.  Weeks 6 - 8 they put up 139, 115, 138.  Those were above average against those opponents

How is being on IR breaking down? Injuries happen all the time. The guy was a bull for them last year. Don't understand why you would not pony up and pay him.

The point I was making is that maybe they knew of some structural weaknesses which put him at increased risk of injury and they decided he wasn't worth the risk.  He has had a bit of an injury problem in the past and maybe they thought last season was just an outlier given his relative low production from 2009 to 2012.

The point I was making is that maybe they knew of some structural weaknesses which put him at increased risk of injury and they decided he wasn't worth the risk.  He has had a bit of an injury problem in the past and maybe they thought last season was just an outlier given his relative low production from 2009 to 2012.

Perhaps.  I think they were looking at Ball to be his replacement and turns out he is the one with the injury issues and a fumbling problem.

They have real problems Mark. Just like the Pats did to start the season. The difference is I don't think Fox is a good enough HC to fix them. NE exposed them and the Rams picked up right where the Pats left off. They can't run and now they have injuries to contend with. Manning yelling at Fox on the sideline is not a good sign either. I still expect them to be there at the end but they have a dog fight on their hands with KC.

The NFL regular season is a topsy-turvy 17-week ride through ups and downs. The object is to put yourself in a good position for when the playoffs start.

I was telling you guys, prior to the Broncos-Pats game, that Denver had not played much on the road in the first half of the season. With a precision offense like that, with all the pre-snap communication it requires, home field means an awful lot. The troubles they've had on their offensive line the past couple of years have resurfaced a little. They've had some key injuries. And finally, their reloaded defense has been shredded a little at times. 

It only takes a single game to get things back on-track. Denver will be in the mix in January, and they will manage to get through the current struggles they're having.