Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The NFL's #1 Offense (ypg) #3 Defense (ypg)

HORSEPOWER

When was the last time that has happened? Our guys are playing good solid football.

Im sure we're gonna hear how the Colts hav'nt played anybody, and about all the opponants injuries, and basically any other naysayer made excuses possibly imaginable.

Lets not forget how stats are meaningless, overrated, blah, blah, blah....

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team

I'm sure it's happened before.  But we are doing great right now.  

It helps us that thus far we havn't been hit too hard by injuries.  And we have a lot of depth on the offensive and defensive lines.  

Werner coming on has been huge.  He looks like he could fill the rush linebacker spot after-all.  We will have a decision to make when Mathis is back healthy because I can't imagine benching Werner the way he's played recently.  

When was the last time that has happened? Our guys are playing good solid football.

Im sure we're gonna hear how the Colts hav'nt played anybody, and about all the opponants injuries, and basically any other naysayer made excuses possibly imaginable.

Lets not forget how stats are meaningless, overrated, blah, blah, blah....

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team

Quote from bengals fan before game "They haven't really beat anybody. They beat the jags, titans, and texans some of the worst teams in the league and they beat the ravens but we beat them to."

Quote from bengals fan before game "They haven't really beat anybody. They beat the jags, titans, and texans some of the worst teams in the league and they beat the ravens but we beat them to."

Doesn't say much about themselves as a team since we shut them out. What does that make them then? haha

Why all the excitement over Yards per Game. Games are decided by Points scored and allowed per game. The Colts are 1st in total points scored(216) and 2nd in points per game(30.9) Denver is 1st at 31.5. The Colts are 9th(with 5 of those teams playing 1 less game) in total points allowed at 136 and 4th in points allowed per game at 19.4(Ravens are 1st at 14.9. Yards per game is about 3rd or 4th on list of importance if you ask me. It's Points scored, Points Allowed, TDs, Time of poss., Then maybe Yards per game.

There's no doubt that we've had a very favourable schedule this year. 

Looking toward to rest of the season:

Steelers' - D is in a hell of a mess with injuries all over. Our O is hot atm. 

Giants - are so far from the team they were a couple of years ago, nothing to be scared of. 

Patriots - are hot and cold, if we can get in Brady's face they will crumble. @ Indy so home advantage is crucial.

Jags, Redskins, Browns - Lose to any of them and we don't deserve to be in the post-season. 3 W's should be statutory. 

Texans - Again, you never know what Texans team is going to turn up. One thing is for sure.... JJ Watt. Home advantage should see us through. 

Cowboys - Far and away our biggest test left this season, will be a very tough game in a hostile environment. 

Titans - Should be an easy W to see us home into the Play Offs. 

Am I the only one who sees a 13-3 season?!! 

Giants - are so far from the team they were a couple of years ago, nothing to be scared of. 

Patriots - are hot and cold, if we can get in Brady's face they will crumble. @ Indy so home advantage is crucial.

Jags, Redskins, Browns - Lose to any of them and we don't deserve to be in the post-season. 3 W's should be statutory. 

Texans - Again, you never know what Texans team is going to turn up. One thing is for sure.... JJ Watt. Home advantage should see us through. 

Cowboys - Far and away our biggest test left this season, will be a very tough game in a hostile environment. 

If we keep playing like this we shouldn't lose again.. But 13-3 seems reasonable. I'm praying Denver crumbles and we can snatch home field advantage..

I'm sure it's happened before.  But we are doing great right now.  

It helps us that thus far we havn't been hit too hard by injuries.  And we have a lot of depth on the offensive and defensive lines.  

Werner coming on has been huge.  He looks like he could fill the rush linebacker spot after-all.  We will have a decision to make when Mathis is back healthy because I can't imagine benching Werner the way he's played recently.

Well you don't want to bench Walden or Mathis either, I'd have Werner go into a heavy rotations with Mathis. We have to do everything we can to keep Mathis healthy and fresh when he comes back next yr.

Why all the excitement over Yards per Game. Games are decided by Points scored and allowed per game. The Colts are 1st in total points scored(216) and 2nd in points per game(30.9) Denver is 1st at 31.5. The Colts are 9th(with 5 of those teams playing 1 less game) in total points allowed at 136 and 4th in points allowed per game at 19.4(Ravens are 1st at 14.9. Yards per game is about 3rd or 4th on list of importance if you ask me. It's Points scored, Points Allowed, TDs, Time of poss., Then maybe Yards per game.

Yards allowed/ Yards per game shows how we're controlling games. 1 week we might score 40, the next we might score 24, if we can hold teams to these yards allowed averages, it basically means they can't cant keep up no matter how many points we score. Our yards per game goes along with this, if we average a high amount of yards per game, again we're limiting what the other team does on offense, they can't keep up.

We've been fortunate with injuries thus far.  When they have happened we've found good replacements.

Donald Thomas - Replaced by Mewhort who has played well.

Robert Mathis - Replaced by Werner who started slow but has played well recently.

Honestly the worst injury we've had was Freeman missing 3 or 4 games at the beginning of the season.  With him we might have stood a better chance, but McNary just can't cover some of the better TE's in the game.

The last time it happened....I want to say 2007, when Bob Sanders played nearly a full season.

Upon checking, it was 2007.  Our offense was 1st with 453 yards per game and our defense was 3rd with 311 yards per game....interesting how it's the exact same rankings as this year haha

The stat I like the most is the time of possession stat.  I think that one is key to winning in the playoffs and we are first in the league at that.  But this team is really playing some good football right now; there is still over half a season left, so let's just take it one game at a time

Just looking around NFL.com, here's the list of things we're top 5 in:

-YPG

-Def. YPG

-Passing YPG

-Def. Passing YPG

-PPG

-Def. PPG

-First Downs

-Def. First Downs

-Def. 3rd Down %

-Time of Possession

-Def. Passer Rating

-Sacks

-First Down % (Passing)

-Def. First Down % (Passing)

-Passing TDs

-Passing TDs allowed

-Passes > 20 Yards

-Def. Completion %

-Touchbacks

-Touchback %

-Onside Kick Recoveries

-Field Goal Percentage

-Kick Return Average

-Gross Punting Average

-Net Punting Average

-Passes Defensed

-Fumbles Recovered

Just looking around NFL.com, here's the list of things we're top 5 in:

-YPG

-Def. YPG

-Passing YPG

-Def. Passing YPG

-PPG

-Def. PPG

-First Downs

-Def. First Downs

-Def. 3rd Down %

-Time of Possession

-Def. Passer Rating

-Sacks

-First Down % (Passing)

-Def. First Down % (Passing)

-Passing TDs

-Passing TDs allowed

-Passes > 20 Yards

-Def. Completion %

-Touchbacks

-Touchback %

-Onside Kick Recoveries

-Field Goal Percentage

-Kick Return Average

-Gross Punting Average

-Net Punting Average

-Passes Defensed

-Fumbles Recovered

Kick Return Average. . . would not have guessed that.  

That is a very extensive list though.  The one thing I'm not noticing, the one chink in our armor right now is turnover differential.  

Kick Return Average. . . would not have guessed that.  

That is a very extensive list though.  The one thing I'm not noticing, the one chink in our armor right now is turnover differential.  

That, and our rushing offense and defense are only average-to-above-average.

Re: turnover differential, that's mostly an offensive problem.  The defense is actually tied for 5th in takeaways I believe (albeit with 5 other teams), but they were effective even without any yesterday, so it's kind of a moot point there.

BTW, more top 5 stats, this time from PFR:

-Yards per Drive

-Defensive Yards per Drive

-Opponent Average Starting Field Position

-Defensive Time per Drive (1:54, best in the NFL, if anyone is curious)

-Offensive Time per Drive

-Defensive Points per Drive

-Defensive Scoring % by Drive

-Defensive Plays per Drive

-Passing Att. per TD

-Def. Passing Att. per TD

-Defensive Sack Percentage (as a function of dropbacks)

That, and our rushing offense and defense are only average-to-above-average.

Re: turnover differential, that's mostly an offensive problem.  The defense is actually tied for 5th in takeaways I believe (albeit with 5 other teams), but they were effective even without any yesterday, so it's kind of a moot point there.

BTW, more top 5 stats, this time from PFR:

-Yards per Drive

-Defensive Yards per Drive

-Opponent Average Starting Field Position

-Defensive Time per Drive (1:54, best in the NFL, if anyone is curious)

-Offensive Time per Drive

-Defensive Points per Drive

-Defensive Scoring % by Drive

-Defensive Plays per Drive

-Passing Att. per TD

-Def. Passing Att. per TD

-Defensive Sack Percentage (as a function of dropbacks)

Ehh a big part of the Rushing offense is that Luck is slinging the ball 50 times a game.  Of course we're not going to put up too many yards on the ground.  

Honestly I'm ok with our rushing offense given what our defense has been able to accomplish.  Before the season I would have been happy with a average (top 16) defense.  The fact that we have a top 5 defense to go along with the #1 offense makes me very excited.

The one thing that bothers me is that I fear we are one injury to freeman away from a much worse defense.  McNary seems fine in run support but when he was playing he got burned by TE's over and over and over again.  

Cowboys massive run blocking O-line vs our huge run stuffing hogs. Will be a very tough physical game. Vontae vs Dez Bryant will be Vontaes toughest assignment all year..can't wait!