Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is the #1 receiver on the Colts now?

Blue Horseshoe

9. Hakeem Nicks isn't exactly proving it on his one-year contract. He still struggles to separate from coverage. We might see third-round draft pick Donte Moncrief beginning to phase Nicks out of the rotation.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000408390/article/andrew-luck-on-fire-as-colts-knock-off-texans

When you start to see it being written it usually won't be long until you see it live.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Nicks has been fine.  He hasn't been a game changer, but I don't think anyone expected him to be one.  He just needed to be an improvement over what we had - and he is.  There's several reasons why he isn't lighting up the box score.  First Luck and Nicks getting comfortable with one another.  Second, we have so many options, Nicks just isn't going to get nearly as many looks as he would on a team that doesn't have a potential HOF and a great young prospect like Hilton (and we haven't even seen all of Moncrief yet).  Also, you ahve to consider his injury history, i.e. he may never be the player he was in his first 3 years in the league.  And that leads into thel ast point, which is our offensive lineups.  We run a lot of 2 TE formations which necessarily means that you're going to have only 2 WRs on the field.  That's going to result in Nicks being off the field more than Reggie and Hilton, which is a good thing because it helps preserve Nicks' health in the long run. 

Couldn't have said it better myself!  I totally agree with all of your points, and I have to add 1 more.  Luck had a few terrible throws the first 3 games when he targeted Nicks, which isn't a lot already.  If people expect Nicks to have 1000yd season they will be disappointed.  He isn't that guy nor does he have to be.  I wish people would analyze a situation instead on merely looking at the stat sheet.

Oh my, people are hilarious.  Luck throws a pass that Fleener jumps, turns his body and barely gets his hands on it and people say Fleener can't catch.  Allen drops an easily catchable ball and people blame Luck.  And people call Fleener soft but it was Allen who alligator armed a pass last night on the first drive.  Going across the middle, Allen barely sticks his arm out and slows down so he doesn't get hit and yet Fleener made one nice catch in traffic for a short gain.

I like both the Colts' TEs (all 3 actually) but the last couple of weeks Fleener has been the tough one and Allen has looked hesitant.

Im not knocking Fleener but Allen is quite a bit more athletic and can block better.  I see Allen covered well and takes big hits but still catches the ball.  He is very strong with the rock.  Fleener is great too, he makes huge catches even if the ball is off target.  I just think pound for pound, and athleticism wise Allen is better.  Fleener and Luck do have better chemistry tho.

Yeah, but he needs to be more consistent. Apparently.

I don't feel like getting into this argument (I've never said anything negative about TY), but what is clear is that Reggie can still be the go-to receiver when we need short yards or need to move the chains -- I think I heard a stat on the TV the other night when Reggie was a yard from moving the chains they said that was the first time in 31 or 32 pass attempts to Reggie on 3rd down that he didn't get us a first down.

We have a pick-your-poison offense and Luck is still getting used to it.  Reggie is still the guy he knows that will be open and who is our Mr. Reliable -- regardless of who covers Reggie he knows how to get open and Luck will look for him.  TY might have some struggles if he gets double-teamed or if the opponent tries to eliminate his big-play ability from the game which just means Lucks can feed Reggie, Allen, Fleener, Hicks and hopefully we'll see him #feedMoncrief pretty soon. 

I still stand by my opinion that Reggie is our 1a and TY is our 1b... Reggie almost always finds a way to get himself open, no matter what -- TY has more explosiveness and does a fine job himself.  If teams choose to try to stop Reggie, TY will reap the benefits and Reggie will still get his 4+ catches.  If teams try to shut down TY, Reggie and our other receiving options are going to explode and TY might get 0-3 catches.  Who cares, in my opinion... if we are winning games I think Reggie and TY both have that goal in mind and know they compliment each other. 

Statistically, Hilton is the best WR in the league. He leads the league in rec and yards, I know we played an extra game but that's still impressive. Wayne is still good but can't separate consistently like he use to, doesn't have the speed. As the season goes I think we'll see Allen as the #2 option.

Couldn't have said it better myself!  I totally agree with all of your points, and I have to add 1 more.  Luck had a few terrible throws the first 3 games when he targeted Nicks, which isn't a lot already.  If people expect Nicks to have 1000yd season they will be disappointed.  He isn't that guy nor does he have to be.  I wish people would analyze a situation instead on merely looking at the stat sheet.

Yeah, he's had a copule of bad throws in his direction too.  It's a legitimate point, I just never rely on it because you can say that about anybody.  But if that point is true for anyone at all..it's a wide receiver who is in his first year working with a new QB.  You don't just switch teams and all the sudden run the same routes and catch for 1400 yards.  I'm fairly confident that Nicks will get more comfortable with our offense.  That doesn't mean he'll be getting 10 targets a game adn flirt with 100 yard receiving days on a consistent basis...but it might be the difference between an extra catch or two a game.

We have two Reggie is the wiseman, and T.Y. is the go to guy with both being pretty darn reliable. I think T.Y. disappearing at times has more to do with the number of receivers than a perceived lack of talent as the number 1 that some have seen. We are loaded to the teeth.

It's still Reggie and always will be until he hangs the cleats up

Hilton is too inconsistent. And plus he always burns the Texans so that's a given explosion game for him.

Until Hilton can learn to be productive every week, he's nothing more than a great #2 WR

"Hilton is too inconsistent" please look at the stat lines... He hasn't had less than 5 catches a game this year. I think Hilton has been extremely consistent this season. 41 yards is this season's low and that came in the first game. I think the inconsistent thing can be put away now.

"Hilton is too inconsistent" please look at the stat lines... He hasn't had less than 5 catches a game this year. I think Hilton has been extremely consistent this season. 41 yards is this season's low and that came in the first game. I think the inconsistent thing can be put away now.

Minus the first 2 games he has played like the WR I know he has the talent to consistently be

Im not knocking Fleener but Allen is quite a bit more athletic and can block better.  I see Allen covered well and takes big hits but still catches the ball.  He is very strong with the rock.  Fleener is great too, he makes huge catches even if the ball is off target.  I just think pound for pound, and athleticism wise Allen is better.  Fleener and Luck do have better chemistry tho.

I'm not sure you mean athletic....

Fleener is faster, quicker and can jump higher.   That's athletic.   Allen is bigger, thicker and stronger.    That's size.

They're different.    But Fleener is far more athletic.    

I think the two compliment each other really well.

it's not like the first two games were bad. Even elite WR's like Calvin and Julio have 40/50 yard games.

I know. I didn't mean he played bad but I think he has the talent to come out and be dominant almost every week, which he has been since then. I think he has the talent to put up 85-100 yard almost every week with an occasional game mixed in like he had last night. I believe he can be that good.

It is hard to say. It can be a different receiver from week to week. The coverage the defenses has a lot to do with who the #1 receiver of the day is. Reggie is the go to guy but that don't automatically make him the #1. It's a nice problem to have no doubt.

What he said. Some games Reggie, some games TY is the main target Luck looks for. It's slowly

transitioning to TY though.

Fleener is faster, quicker and can jump higher. That's athletic. Allen is bigger, thicker and stronger. That's size.

They're different. But Fleener is far more athletic.

fleener doesn't play like it

Now this has turned pretty much into lets bash Fleener. We have Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Wayne and Nicks on the field off and on. Luck leads the NFL in yardage and TDs so who cares what receiver is #1. They all do their jobs. This back and forth bickering Is useless and has no bearing at all. Why must so many Colt fans have the mind set to whine, cry and argue over things that don't make sense at all?

Oh my, people are hilarious. Luck throws a pass that Fleener jumps, turns his body and barely gets his hands on it and people say Fleener can't catch. Allen drops an easily catchable ball and people blame Luck. And people call Fleener soft but it was Allen who alligator armed a pass last night on the first drive. Going across the middle, Allen barely sticks his arm out and slows down so he doesn't get hit and yet Fleener made one nice catch in traffic for a short gain.

I like both the Colts' TEs (all 3 actually) but the last couple of weeks Fleener has been the tough one and Allen has looked hesitant.

I like them both but if I could keep only one, it would be Allen. I did note the alligator armed business decision by Allen, that was Swearinger locked and loaded, so I kind of understood, week 6 1st quarter.

Yeah, he's had a copule of bad throws in his direction too.  It's a legitimate point, I just never rely on it because you can say that about anybody.  But if that point is true for anyone at all..it's a wide receiver who is in his first year working with a new QB.  You don't just switch teams and all the sudden run the same routes and catch for 1400 yards.  I'm fairly confident that Nicks will get more comfortable with our offense.  That doesn't mean he'll be getting 10 targets a game adn flirt with 100 yard receiving days on a consistent basis...but it might be the difference between an extra catch or two a game.

All that matters is if Luck calls his number and puts the ball on him, that he makes the catch.  Im not too concerned if he has a bunch of 100 receiving yard games and up there with TY or Reggie, like you said he is getting to know the offense.  I don't think people expected Moncrief to come in and be a standout, why would Nicks be any different.  Our expectations from his production isn't that of what TY or Reggie's is.  Now if he was in that role then I would say he is slightly underperforming but he's clearly a 4th option (in the passing game).  For all these stat guys, they should go look at other teams 4th option, and then see their expectations were a bit off.  I think some people have unrealistic demands because of how he performed when the Giants were good!

Fleener is faster, quicker and can jump higher.   That's athletic.   Allen is bigger, thicker and stronger.    That's size.

They're different.    But Fleener is far more athletic.    

Yeah, athletic wasn't quite the correct word but you got my point.  For Allen's size he moves very fluently!  Fleener is faster and can jump higher.  So Coby can out run a lot of LB's.  Although, Allen can go up and get a jump ball while fighting off a defender, then drag them for another 5-10 yards.  The man is a rolling train!  Yes, both being two different types of TE's definitely compliment the offense differently and create a matchup problem one way or another.

Fleener and Allen are both credited with the same number of drops so far this season...2.  Fleener's drop rate is 8% and Allen's is 7.4%.  Just sayin

That would be an interesting stat had both of these men played last year. Allen (had) a reason to be rusty. Granted, it's week 6 now, so that rust should have worn off. Allen also has five touchdowns on the year to Fleener's two or three?

That would be an interesting stat had both of these men played last year. Allen (had) a reason to be rusty. Granted, it's week 6 now, so that rust should have worn off. Allen also has five touchdowns on the year to Fleener's two or three?

Allen also had all of training camp and preseason to knock the rust off.  I can maybe see a case for him being more rusty than others in game 1 but after that, I don't think rust can be considered an excuse.

As for number of touchdowns, not sure where you got your numbers, but according to colts.com statistics, Allen has 4 and Fleener has 3.  

Allen also had all of training camp and preseason to knock the rust off.  I can maybe see a case for him being more rusty than others in game 1 but after that, I don't think rust can be considered an excuse.

As for number of touchdowns, not sure where you got your numbers, but according to colts.com statistics, Allen has 4 and Fleener has 3.  

You are correct. Allen has four. I was going off the top of my head, trying to remember from my fantasy league. 

Truly though, I thought about it and it's hard to compare Allen to Fleener. They are similar in position name only. Past "Tight End" it's hard to look at the two guys and say they do the same things on the field. It's like comparing Marshawn Lynch to Darren Sproles. Yeah they're both RBs, but they are vastly different in their styles that it's not fair to compare them.

Fleener does need to get a bit more... I guess aggressive. He has the potential to be a Gronkowski-lite. However it seems his own head gets in his way sometimes. 

In the case of Allen being rusty- Quit your job for a year, then go back to it and see if you're back to full efficiency after three months, but also during that year you were not there, they implemented an entirely new system and brought in new managers. I'm not saying it can't be done- but I'd like to get to the halfway point of the season and see what his progress is before comparing his production to anything.

Allen can play bully ball. Fleener doesn't (or can't, I've never really seen him try). They're two completely different types of TE's. 

Allen can play bully ball. Fleener doesn't (or can't, I've never really seen him try). They're two completely different types of TE's. 

That is a great way of putting it!!  Allen can definitely bully around the defender with his size.  It's awesome to finally see these two working together and play at a high level.  Something we really we haven't got to witness a whole lot since they've both had injuries in  the first 2 season.  Adding a dangerous receiving core and this offense is as good as it was when Peyton was the General.