Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is the #1 receiver on the Colts now?

Blue Horseshoe

Oh my, people are hilarious. Luck throws a pass that Fleener jumps, turns his body and barely gets his hands on it and people say Fleener can't catch. Allen drops an easily catchable ball and people blame Luck. And people call Fleener soft but it was Allen who alligator armed a pass last night on the first drive. Going across the middle, Allen barely sticks his arm out and slows down so he doesn't get hit and yet Fleener made one nice catch in traffic for a short gain.

I like both the Colts' TEs (all 3 actually) but the last couple of weeks Fleener has been the tough one and Allen has looked hesitant.

I was about to say this as well. And I've been very down on Fleener before. I wouldn't say Allen has been hesitant but he has been indecisive on 25% the plays he is apart of. While Fleener still hasn't played to what I expect his potential to be, he has impressed me to no end on his physicality on the line and down field blocking.

I will add this though, Allen seems to have the talent and ability to be one the games greats. Just needs to be consistent and crisp.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, athletic wasn't quite the correct word but you got my point. For Allen's size he moves very fluently! Fleener is faster and can jump higher. So Coby can out run a lot of LB's. Although, Allen can go up and get a jump ball while fighting off a defender, then drag them for another 5-10 yards. The man is a rolling train! Yes, both being two different types of TE's definitely compliment the offense differently and create a matchup problem one way or another.

For future reference you mean "fluidly" not "fluently", otherwise I agree.

Yeah, he's had a copule of bad throws in his direction too.  It's a legitimate point, I just never rely on it because you can say that about anybody.  But if that point is true for anyone at all..it's a wide receiver who is in his first year working with a new QB.  You don't just switch teams and all the sudden run the same routes and catch for 1400 yards.  I'm fairly confident that Nicks will get more comfortable with our offense.  That doesn't mean he'll be getting 10 targets a game adn flirt with 100 yard receiving days on a consistent basis...but it might be the difference between an extra catch or two a game.

I don't think we have a true number one..

TY is our big play, deep threat.

Reggie is still Lucks favorite target. And he's our guys on third downs.

If Hakeem or Moncrief can gain the respect from opposing defenses look out..

I'm loving our weapons.

All that matters is if Luck calls his number and puts the ball on him, that he makes the catch.  Im not too concerned if he has a bunch of 100 receiving yard games and up there with TY or Reggie, like you said he is getting to know the offense.  I don't think people expected Moncrief to come in and be a standout, why would Nicks be any different.  Our expectations from his production isn't that of what TY or Reggie's is.  Now if he was in that role then I would say he is slightly underperforming but he's clearly a 4th option (in the passing game).  For all these stat guys, they should go look at other teams 4th option, and then see their expectations were a bit off.  I think some people have unrealistic demands because of how he performed when the Giants were good!

I tend to agree and think Nicks has done just fine this year -- I am also expecting Moncrief to start taking some of his PT away.  The only things that Moncrief and Nicks have disappointed me with is in the red zone. 

I know Nicks has 2 TD's, but neither of these big guys seem to have emerged as legitimate redzone threats -- granted we are doing quite well on our trips to the red zone, I was hoping we would use these 2 big bodies a lot more down there. We have never had 2 WR's with the size, speed and talent of Nicks and Moncrief and it seems as though we are not using their size to our advantage when we get to the red zone.  I guess it isn't worth worrying about when we are scoring down there regardless, but I'd like to see us use these guys' size to our advantage a bit more.

I tend to agree and think Nicks has done just fine this year -- I am also expecting Moncrief to start taking some of his PT away.  The only things that Moncrief and Nicks have disappointed me with is in the red zone. 

I know Nicks has 2 TD's, but neither of these big guys seem to have emerged as legitimate redzone threats -- granted we are doing quite well on our trips to the red zone, I was hoping we would use these 2 big bodies a lot more down there. We have never had 2 WR's with the size, speed and talent of Nicks and Moncrief and it seems as though we are not using their size to our advantage when we get to the red zone.  I guess it isn't worth worrying about when we are scoring down there regardless, but I'd like to see us use these guys' size to our advantage a bit more.

I doubt Moncrief even has a red zone snap so far this season. 

I doubt Moncrief even has a red zone snap so far this season. 

I don't know where you can find those kind of stats, but if he has been in when we're in the redzone it hasn't been very much at all.  I just looked at his combine stats -- 6'2" 221 lbs. 4.4 speed and a 39.5 inch vertical -- seems like he should be able to go up and get some balls that TY and Wayne can't, but who knows.

I don't know where you can find those kind of stats, but if he has been in when we're in the redzone it hasn't been very much at all.  I just looked at his combine stats -- 6'2" 221 lbs. 4.4 speed and a 39.5 inch vertical -- seems like he should be able to go up and get some balls that TY and Wayne can't, but who knows.

The past month, we've been converting in the red zone as well as any team in the league. So I'm good with what we're doing in the red zone. I'd like to see Nicks get more involved in between the 20s, but the red zone offense is fine.

Moncrief, I don't know how much time he'll get this year. We just have a ton of options on offense. He'll have to get in where he fits in, or fill in for an injury at some point. I don't see any reason for us to try to force him into the game.

The past month, we've been converting in the red zone as well as any team in the league. So I'm good with what we're doing in the red zone. I'd like to see Nicks get more involved in between the 20s, but the red zone offense is fine.

Moncrief, I don't know how much time he'll get this year. We just have a ton of options on offense. He'll have to get in where he fits in, or fill in for an injury at some point. I don't see any reason for us to try to force him into the game.

Yes, I agree -- I think I remember a stat come up during Thursday night's game that said we have been the most efficient scoring team in the red zone this season, so I've got no complaints.  I just envisioned where Nicks and Moncrief would really help up is by giving Luck something he's never had before in the NFL (big bodied WRs with better than DHB hands) and where I expected them to make the biggest impacts was the red zone.

I also agree, no need to force Moncrief onto the field, but I do think we'll gradually see him to get some more snaps.  If the season ended today, I would be all for re-signing Nicks, but I can see our coaching staff/FO wanting to get a little more in-game evaluation out of Moncrief to see if we should focus on bringing back Nicks or going after any other WRs in the offseason.

Nope, not even close. Fluid is a liquid and fluent means to be able express ones self easily and articulately and in no way describes d allens movements. I am well aware of what a synonym is.

So you must not be aware a word can have multiple meanings!  Go to dictionary.com, type in fluently and then come back and tell me I'm still completely wrong lol

Andrew seems to like targeting Ahmad Bradshaw and the TE's in the Red Zone.  I don't think he is opposed of going to Nicks because he does have 2 TD's but doesn't use him as a 1 or 2 target down there.  Like superman said I don't think Moncrief has even had the opportunity.  I think they want to keep him as under the radar right now, but he can definitely come in and make his presence felt!

I like them both but if I could keep only one, it would be Allen. I did note the alligator armed business decision by Allen, that was Swearinger locked and loaded, so I kind of understood, week 6 1st quarter.

I like them both as well.  If I had to make a decision on who to keep, it would depend on who was available in FA or the draft.  Lastly, there is never an excuse for a WR or TE to slow down and alligator arm a pass.  

I was about to say this as well. And I've been very down on Fleener before. I wouldn't say Allen has been hesitant but he has been indecisive on 25% the plays he is apart of. While Fleener still hasn't played to what I expect his potential to be, he has impressed me to no end on his physicality on the line and down field blocking.

I will add this though, Allen seems to have the talent and ability to be one the games greats. Just needs to be consistent and crisp.

I agree whole-heartily with this post.  I really like them both and like what they bring to the game.  In my mind there indecision causes hesitancy so I don't see a difference but I'm not going to argue semantics in this case.

Imagine if the Colts had Dilger and Clark at the same time with both in their prime, IMO that is what the Colts could have with Fleener and Allen.  That is exciting to think about.

Andrew seems to like targeting Ahmad Bradshaw and the TE's in the Red Zone.  I don't think he is opposed of going to Nicks because he does have 2 TD's but doesn't use him as a 1 or 2 target down there.  Like superman said I don't think Moncrief has even had the opportunity.  I think they want to keep him as under the radar right now, but he can definitely come in and make his presence felt!

Right -- as long as we're scoring in the red zone, I don't care who it is.  I'll be happy if it continues to be Bradshaw, T-Rich and the TE's.

It does seem like our coaching staff likes to keep a few tricks up their sleeves, so I'll not be shocked if we see Moncrief or Nicks going up for fade routes in the end zone at some point later this year when the situation calls for it.  I agree with Superman, no need to rush Moncrief on the field, but I am also wondering sometimes if we are kind of purposefully keeping him off the radar now so we can add that dimension to the offense come playoff time or late in the season (we kept Rogers on the P.S. almost all of last year and when we finally put him on the field he blew up in his first game then made a very big play vs. KC in the playoffs -- some of that, IMO, has to be due to the fact that the other teams hadn't seen any of him and were not prepared in their game plan).