Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darren Sproles [Merge]

ReMeDy

Why doesn't every coaching staff just sign a guy with the exact same measurables and 40-time, as Sproles? Shorter guys have a lower center of gravity, are faster, and harder to see behind the o-line. Trash the power backs (I'm looking at you, Richardson) because they're too slow. I also read an interesting article about Adrian Peterson's fumbling woes back when he costed Brett Favre a Superbowl run, and learned halfbacks with big biceps have fumbling issues because they can't cradle the ball effectively, hence one more reason power backs suck (I'm looking at you, RIchardson).

Now that every team in the league has a Sproles clone, every team is mandated to use 4-5 screens with him, cause if they aint screening, they aint trying. Also, put your Sproles copycat in as a return man, because these short guys apparently have unlimited energy. Teach the guy to catch too, so you can put him in the slot. Now that he's at HB, KR/PR, and WR, you're killing three birds with one stone.

Actually, go ahead and just clone this guy and put him at every position at every WR, HB, and ST position. I think New England is on to something with all these shorter players. Short guys are the new NFL.

When the Chargers had OL, they were a fantastic screen team. Do you know the kind of OL you need for running those screens? Yes, the smaller and athletic ones. It works great when it is indoors or the weather is great. But when you have to line up in December and January outdoors and have to operate that kind of offense, you can't always win in the trenches when you have to run hard between the tackles. Plus, the Chargers had other guys like Michael Turner and LT etc. that would do the hard running between the tackles so Sproles could do his thing as a change of pace. A guy with speed relishes playing indoors, which Sproles does.

That is why not all teams put their eggs in that Sproles basket. It takes the right combination of OL and primary RB and playcaller to get it right and even then, you cannot guarantee you can run between the tackles when it comes to playoff time, IMO

Why doesn't every coaching staff just sign a guy with the exact same measurables and 40-time, as Sproles? Shorter guys have a lower center of gravity, are faster, and harder to see behind the o-line. Trash the power backs (I'm looking at you, Richardson) because they're too slow. I also read an interesting article about Adrian Peterson's fumbling woes back when he costed Brett Favre a Superbowl run, and learned halfbacks with big biceps have fumbling issues because they can't cradle the ball effectively, hence one more reason power backs suck (I'm looking at you, RIchardson).

Now that every team in the league has a Sproles clone, every team is mandated to use 4-5 screens with him, cause if they aint screening, they aint trying. Also, put your Sproles copycat in as a return man, because these short guys apparently have unlimited energy. Teach the guy to catch too, so you can put him in the slot. Now that he's at HB, KR/PR, and WR, you're killing three birds with one stone.

Actually, go ahead and just clone this guy and put him at every position at every WR, HB, and ST position. I think New England is on to something with all these shorter players. Short guys are the new NFL.

Here's a scary post.......

Why are you under the impression that guys like Darren Sproles are a dime a dozen?

If they were,  then every team WOULD draft a guy like him.   

But they're not.    So teams don't.

Was that really all that hard to figure out?

'cause there arent very many?

Bullocks. You're telling me there aren't many short guys who aspire to play professional sports? Most sports wont take players, like those. Football will. NFL needs to overlook its fascination with big players and start thinking smaller, literally. I'm sure there are plenty of short free agents with similar measurables. Get them on a contract.

Sproles has a special place in my nightmares. In them, he's always blowing by or juking some flailing Colts defender. Oh that's just my memory of Colts/Charger games

I keep trying to remember, it might have been Jules who used to say, "Sproles is the Colts' kryptonite."  I don't know why one player will play so well against a specific opponent, but Sproles has done really well over the years against you guys.  

We have Danny Woodhead who I'm happy with, but Sproles does so much more even than what the yards show.  My favorite memories are of him upending a 300+ DL coming at Rivers.

why doesn't everybody just lineup 3 Calvin Johnsons at WR too.  Just sign 3 guys with the same measurables  as him.  How hard is it to find 3 WRs who are 6'5, 230 lbs, run a 4.3 forty, have a 40 inch vertical, and catch everything their hands can touch.  

Why doesnt every team have all WRs like that?   Someone needs to hire me as a GM.

woodhead and MJD are nothing like sproles

I would say Woodhead is very similar. Neither are what you would call an elite running back, but both are pretty much the ultimate X factor. Neither are going to carry the ball 25 times a game under any and all conditions, but both can make a huge difference with their 5 to 10 situational touches a game.

I would say Woodhead is very similar. Neither are what you would call an elite running back, but both are pretty much the ultimate X factor. Neither are going to carry the ball 25 times a game under any and all conditions, but both can make a huge difference with their 5 to 10 situational touches a game.

Sproles is much faster than woodhead

Since we are the only team that has had both Woodhead and Sproles as players, I can confidently say they are not identical, only similar.  They do obviously fill similar roles for the team. 

1. Sproles is shiftier and more powerful.  Have you looked at his thighs close up?  They are unreal.  
  2. Sproles runs back kicks - Danny does not.  
  3. Sproles is better in pass pro though Danny certainly isn't bad at it. 
  4. They both are good receivers.
  5. They both are quick AND fast.
  6. They are both fearless across the middle and great on screens.
  7. They both are small and know how to hide behind blockers and find the hole.
  8. They both are clutch in handling the ball. 
  9. They are both quite durable for little guys.  Sproles' career has been incredibly long compared to what people were saying would happen to him.  
  10. Danny Woodhead had a better rushing year last year at 4 yards per carry to Sproles 3.5, but Sproles generally produces much more than his stats would lead you to believe as it's total yardage where he excels.

I'll probably think of something else but that a pretty comprehensive list.

He isn't just short and fast (well super fast)...he can also cut on a dime, has great ball skills catching passes, great ball defense (rarely fumbles), and TOUGH as nails....he takes a licking on kickoffs, runs etc....he is a bad little man. Yes his size makes him hard to find behind the line of scrimmage but there is few like him....he reminds me of Barry Sanders...probably faster and not quite the moves but just as explosive.

• 2 weeks later...