Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Walden Can't go who starts in his place?

Coffeedrinker

I saw that Walden was added to the injury report yesterday with an abdomen.  If he can't go does Newsome get the start or do they go with Cam Johnson because he has a bit more experience?

I think I would go with Newsome and make his only job rushing Manning.  Tell him not to worry about setting the edge just use him as a rush LB.

What are some other ideas?

I certainly think Newsome should play a considerable role in this game.  I think they should use Cam Johnson to back up the spot where Walden currently is. And use Newsome at the Rush linebacker like you're saying because it's a better fit to me. With that being said I don't think Walden will miss the start.  I'd be shocked if Newsome doesn't make some noise in this game.

Studebaker was my option in rotation with Newsome.  Cam Johnson may fill in for Werner for breathers.

I don't think Walden wants to miss this game for sure.

Walden is practicing today, so it's likely a non-issue. Based on how cautious the team was during camp, holding him out yesterday could have been purely precautionary. Let's see how it goes.

It seems posters on here are as up in the air as me.  I thought about Studebaker as well.  IMO, he showed a better overall game than Newsome (too be expected, he's been in the league longer) but I was shocked at how explosive Newsome looked.  

And I agree it probably won't be an issue.  I think I like that idea Superman and BrentMC11.  Start Studebaker and then bring in Newsome on 2nd or 3rd and long situations.

It seems posters on here are as up in the air as me.  I thought about Studebaker as well.  IMO, he showed a better overall game than Newsome (too be expected, he's been in the league longer) but I was shocked at how explosive Newsome looked.  

And I agree it probably won't be an issue.  I think I like that idea Superman and BrentMC11.  Start Studebaker and then bring in Newsome on 2nd or 3rd and long situations.

Did you get a chance to watch any of Newsome in college? Explosive is probably the best one-word description of him. I was unsure whether his quickness would still jump off the screen in the pros, but so far it has.

But he's not ready to start at Sam for us; he's not strong enough on the edge, and his technique is still sloppy. I think Cam Johnson is the best at containing the run, but Studebaker is better in coverage, and plays disciplined most of the time. Studebaker vs. Julius Thomas in the run game is a good matchup.

Did you get a chance to watch any of Newsome in college? Explosive is probably the best one-word description of him. I was unsure whether his quickness would still jump off the screen in the pros, but so far it has.

But he's not ready to start at Sam for us; he's not strong enough on the edge, and his technique is still sloppy. I think Cam Johnson is the best at containing the run, but Studebaker is better in coverage, and plays disciplined most of the time. Studebaker vs. Julius Thomas in the run game is a good matchup.

No, I never saw Newsome in college and I wasn't really expecting much from a small school guy with discipline problems.  

In addition to his explosiveness, I was also impressed with his hands (seemed to do a good job of stopping the lineman from getting a good lock on him).

No, I never saw Newsome in college and I wasn't really expecting much from a small school guy with discipline problems.  

In addition to his explosiveness, I was also impressed with his hands (seemed to do a good job of stopping the lineman from getting a good lock on him).

The first preseason game I thought Newsome was a step slow....then as he played more the "explosion" really for lack of a better word...'happened.'  I really enjoyed him chasing the QB.

Thought he was more suited to ILB.

I couldn't say how much he played at what positions prior to coming to the Colts, but he was listed as an OLB and played there exclusively (as far as I know) up until this preseason, and I think the only reason he played there during preseason was due to injuries to multiple players.  It turned out to be a pleasant surprise because, imo, he's better at ILB than OLB but he does have the versatility to play both.  However as Superman said, he's not that great of a pass rusher so I'd put him at Sam long before putting him at RushLB

Stephen HolderVerified account @HolderStephen 54m

Erik Walden (abdominal) is questionable, definitely something to watch. Not sure who would sub. Rookie Jon Newsome is technically backup

George Bremer@gmbremer 1h

If Walden can't play, rookie Jonathan Newsome is listed as his backup. Cam Johnson and Andy Studebaker are other options. #Colts

@gmbremer you would think Werner could become the edge setter right? I would like to see Cam Johnson out there instead of Newsome.

Stephen HolderVerified account ‏@HolderStephen 54m

Erik Walden (abdominal) is questionable, definitely something to watch. Not sure who would sub. Rookie Jon Newsome is technically backup

George Bremer‏@gmbremer 1h

If Walden can't play, rookie Jonathan Newsome is listed as his backup. Cam Johnson and Andy Studebaker are other options. #Colts

@gmbremer you would think Werner could become the edge setter right? I would like to see Cam Johnson out there instead of Newsome.

It's almost like they read this forum for their tweet ideas.